BN TV

“On the Couch with Falz & Laila”: WATCH Presidential Aspirants Fela Durotoye & Olasubomi Okeowo in Episodes 1 & 2

On The Couch with Falz & Laila is a new talk show focusing on having informal conversations with Nigeria’s 2019 presidential aspirants on their plans for the country if elected.

For the first and second episodes of the debut season, Falz and co-host Laila chat up motivational speaker and presidential aspirant Fela Durotoye and fellow aspirant Olasubomi Okeowo.

Watch on BN TV:

1. Miss Smart

August 20, 2018 at 3:30 pm

Olasubomi Okeowo, REALLY???!!! WOW! What a dreamer! I can’t believe he just dissed the whole black race. What a joke.

We need serious minded presidential aspirants!

Laila, you are absolutely fantastic! Beauty and brains are the best combo, pow girl!

2. Engoz

August 20, 2018 at 3:53 pm

Haven’t watched Okeowo, but from this interview Fela Durotoye has nothing to offer me and I am done with basic thinking. Never again! You were asked to provide your solutions to the education system, and all you could argue for is ‘sebi if we put the right person, the person will do the job’ or whatever nonsense you said. What kind of razz argument is that? A president must have an agenda, targeted ideas and timelines which your appointed minister must follow and bring into fruition. I was expecting to see you state programs with timelines. I am not a ‘presidential aspirant’, but at the top of my head, I can think of certain things that need special attention. We must invest in research, science, innovation and technology. Our curriculum must ensure the application of critical thinking and the ability to apply knowledge and not the nonsense ‘cramming’ system our generation was brought up on. We tend to think of research and innovation as the forte of the STEMs. But research and innovation is all about applying knowledge and coming up with ideas to make life better for your society whether as a fisherman, farmer or as any profession that will make a Nigerian parent have a heart attack. Create a system whereby education aligns to the needs and background of the people. Not every kid speaks/understands English, and for long we have branded kids who don’t as ‘olodo’. For these kids, English should be taught as a separate subject like learning a new language but their primary subjects should be taught in their indigenous languages. By English being taught as a new language, I am not talking about how we teach languages in primary or secondary school, where the teacher comes to rap in Igbo or Yoruba and say she’s teaching us, but actually teaching the language to make you bilingual. It can even go vice versa, kids who aren’t fluent in their indigenous languages will be taught their primary subjects in English and must take compulsory classes to learn how to speak their languages. Our culture must be protected. Make Nigerian history compulsory in our schools and by extension the African in diaspora history. I would like subjects on government/ constitution as a compulsory subject as well. Christian/Islamic religious knowledge would never be compulsory for pupils. Our teachers must be well-trained and paid well, and by extension ‘allowances’ from our thieving Senators will be diverted into education. Politics should not be an avenue for making wealth. If you wanna be rich, invent something. We must also critically examine our curriculum and eliminate any remnant of colonialism as well.

• seriouslu

August 21, 2018 at 9:28 pm

@Engoz
      Thank you. I agree with everything you have said. I’m quite disappointed, these aspirants are nothing but empty talks with no form of pragmatism. They gave me hope but now I think we are back to square one. It’s very scary to hear these aspirants speak and how they have have no idea on what the real solutions are. They are very disconnected from the reality of what is happening in nigeria. You need to be connected, aware of the problems to provide practical solutions.
      Leila is so right, all talk with no walk. motivational speakee my ass.
      The anti gay topic is very sensitive. There’s a way to solve a problem but still hold on to your values. And yes, it’s very much okay to bring God into it but need to be balanced.
      Leila, good job. You spoke with great insight. Falz, well done as well.

3. Richard Akuson

August 20, 2018 at 3:55 pm

First off, Leila is a very smart woman – I could tell from the profound and articulate questions she kept asking Fela; a class act I must say! Leila, If you’re reading this, I noticed how Fela kept talking over you – never allow your guests intimidate you like that. If you have something to say, say it before giving them room to respond. I saw you swallow many questions because of Fela’s interruptions, never let that happen, it not only disrupts your thought process but it also compromises your ability to command the show.

Fela, Nigeria doesn’t need another backward president – please, go back to Public Speaking! It’s such a shame, for a public speaker AND presidential aspirant, you sounded rather ignorant and narrow minded with absolutely no profundity or complexity of thought. Like Buhari and his likes, you had no proper grasp of the subject matters you so passionately spoke of, and when challenged about your views on homosexuality (read: homophobia), you lazily sought succor under the Bible to disguise your absence of thought (Leila was very spot-on in questioning your independence of thought). How can you, a presidential candidate, charge your citizens to change the law if they felt passionate about you, what’s the point of electing you if we could do that ourselves? I guess the question that Leila didn’t get the chance to properly articulate was: if elected president, what would you do about the anti-gay laws of Nigeria, or do you even think it’s a human rights breach, or do you plan on challenging the humanity of such laws? I lost every ounce of respect I had for you after this, you really did your name a great disservice. I’d implore you to read more, learn more, employ critical thinking, and come back in 8 years – you might be ready then.

Falz, you’re a very smart man, I really don’t think you need that comedic persona on this show. It was challenging understanding you as you were caught between your comedic persona and the smart young man that you are. On this show, please, drop the comedy – it does no good.

Overall, I’m very happy about this show and I look forward to watching more episodes. Finally, I’m happy knowing that Fela will never be president – it’s indeed a huge relief.

• Miss Smart

August 20, 2018 at 4:17 pm

Laila is amazing, watching her roll off those statistical numbers gave me joy.

Drop the comedy when it comes to serious issues, Falz… you’re much smarter.

A huge relief indeed! I concur and resonate with everything you have said. Goodness! How people can still hide behind the Bible and be homophobic is beyond me. What about fundamental human rights? Aren’t gay people humans? Interesting how he avoided the question on churches being regulated.

A great show, looking forward to watching more. Now we can separate the wheat from the chaff.

• Engoz

August 20, 2018 at 5:28 pm

BN where is my comment? Abi it’s too long or what?
      I have been looking for a second means to weed off faux educated people with qualifications, since my number one criteria is you must have the academic qualifications and impressive experience in your field. No more trying to use microscope to find a presidential aspirant school certificate or dwelling on sentimentalism like he’s inspiring to people or he didn’t have shoes. This show has given us the avenue to weed off faux educated persons with nothing to offer other than rehearsed English alphabets.

4. TT

August 21, 2018 at 8:22 am

Damn, that Fela guy is superbly annoying, and he wants to be president.

He is obviously used to having his way…..look at him thinking this is another speaking engagement, he came to say what he planned to say; not to answer the pertinent questions the 2 young presenters had to ask.

Thank God for the show. It is a NO NO, to FELA DUROTOYE. Narrow-minded and arrogant man

5. Ara

August 21, 2018 at 9:21 am

Thank you Falz, Thank you Laila for this show.

Indeed refreshing to see your faces and hear your voices.

Hmm, it is amazing to see these interviews. Nigeria is indeed in trouble with the calibre of these presidential aspirants.

I am presently in awe of Mr. Fela’s myopism. And I am also in awe of Mr. Okeowo’s inferiority complex and stupidity. e.g…He was asked “how much economic experience do yo have” he answered his best subject in school was Economics….. #Gobe ..Feminism? he no know. Recreational drugs? he no know….I just taya

6. Eve

August 22, 2018 at 12:40 pm

I have always argued that been a good motivational speaker doesn’t automatically qualify you for governance/ leadership. The Okeowo dude . Omg.! What are your thoughts on Feminism, dude goes the gender is strong. WTF?

7. Liana

August 23, 2018 at 3:11 pm

Woah, really great stuff here.

8. Ola

August 24, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I appreciate the not too young to run move, but honestly, I don’t the the youth are ready. Perhaps they were not expecting the hosts to be that intelligent hence unprepared,. I am sorry but I have to come up with an excuse for them because to say I am disappointed is an understatement. Questions like this, they should be able to answer off the top of their heads by now.

9. Smh

August 24, 2018 at 9:10 pm

So of all the problems Nigeria as a nation needs to tackle, it’s homosexuality Falz and his fellow hosts deemed fit to spend the chunk of the time querying their host on. E ka re. Truly, it’s the likes of Buhari that fit Nigeria.

10. Elle

August 24, 2018 at 9:21 pm

By the way, why is the girl looking so morose? If you are bored with interviewing guests or can’t drum up the energy, then find someone else to do it. Rather than carrying a facial expression that says “can’t wait for this to be over”.

11. by_stander

August 26, 2018 at 6:14 pm

This guy (Fela Durotoye) ticks all the boxes for me his is not perfect, but at least he is not an Accountant or Lawyer. (just compare the two interviews)

But if you ask me, to save all the stress of looking for people to fix the problems, All you have to do is remove the monopolies held by Accountants ad Lawyers in our laws and polices that infringe on the inalienable rights of human beings. (That’s the root of all evil in our country.)

But he comes across as someone who will not directly address issues with bad laws or policies. I sort of understand his reasoning, but that would be ideal if the laws and policies reflect the will of the people and not being covertly hijacked by a few for personal gain.

Nobody with a sound mind and full understanding will endorse laws or policies that directly or indirectly infringe on their inalienable rights, so there is a duty of care inherent, and if you are still unsure do a referendum with very clear and precise information.