The BBC goes “Inside Nigeria’s Secret Gay Club”

Posted on Friday, January 4th, 2013 at 9:51 AM

By BellaNaija.com

Rashidi Williams is one of Nigeria's few openly gay human rights activistsOn the 2nd of January 2013, the BBC published a report about going “Inside Nigeria’s Secret Gay Club” by Tomi Oladipo. The news feature and video report discussed Nigeria’s proposed Same Sex Marriage (Prohibition) Bill, talked to Nigerian Gay Rights Activist Rashidi Williams who asked “Who is advocating for (Gay) Marriage?… All we are asking for is to repeal the repressive laws in this country so that people are free….and can access sexual health services, HIV prevention services and if they are HIV positive, are able to access treatment services in the totality of who they are and (not face) discrimination.”

The BBC visited the club and though they were not allowed to film inside, a few brave members spoke to them. See excerpts from the report below.
Click HERE to watch the video and read the full story.

Inside the Club
About 50 people, mostly men, crowd around the front porch of a social club in Nigeria’s biggest city, Lagos, cheering on a shy-looking young man, who proceeds to sing a ballad.

Backstage, another man puts on his wig and takes a quick glance at his pocket mirror, before adjusting his tight-fitting red dress.

Five other men also dressed in drag outfits appear, checking on each other’s make-up as they wait for their turn to perform for the crowd.

“A friend invited me here a few months ago,” one chatty spectator says excitedly. “I love this place because it makes me feel at home”.

Members of the “Club” Speak
Kunle (not his real name), a gay man living in Lagos, is outraged by the proposed law: “How does a government think that sending someone to prison would change his or her sexual orientation?

One member of the club talked about how he “went for deliverance for 6 months” trying to change his sexual orientation but “it came back stronger than ever”.

The Word on the Street
“How do you even become gay, not to mention wanting to get married to another man?” asks Okechukwu Ikenna, a 33-year-old software engineer, visibly irritated by the topic.

Lawmakers Feedback
“Ours is to weigh the aggregate of opinion – what the majority of Nigerians want,” says Abike Dabiri, a member of the House of Representatives.

“If majority of Nigerians want same-sex marriage, then why not?”

She adds: “You have a right to your sexual preference but by trying to turn it into marriage do you realise you could be infringing on the human rights of the other person who finds it repulsive?”

****
Whether or not anyone “supports” gay marriage is their personal opinion, however, this bill seems to have wider reaching implications. For example, friends and family members of gay people could get implicated if they do not report cases of same-sex unions because they could be seen as being in support of them. Health workers could turn away gay patients due to fear of prosecution etc…

What are your thoughts?

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 91 Comments on “The BBC goes “Inside Nigeria’s Secret Gay Club””

Comments
    • neks January 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM

i say its disgusting. Most Nigerians find it offensive and disgusting. I do no want my children growing up in a country where they feel homosexuality is an option for them, something accepted. I hate when ppl try to get all “exposed” and “open minded” about an issue like this. We do not have to accept or conform to western standards of what is fair and acceptable. Slowly the moral standards have fallen through out the world. We’ve let the devil creep into society. Yes, i say the devil! This evil most not be legalized in Nigeria!!

• Bunmi January 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM

My dear, just shut up about western standards or moral standards, please just shut up right there. If you want to present an argument against homosexuality, i take everything beg you don’t bring up moral or western standards because that argument is flawed the second you mention the word standards. WE DO NOT HAVE ANY STANDARDS IN AFRICA, ESPECIALLY IN NIGERIA. Repeat after me. Is corruption a moral standard, is Boko Haram a standard, is jungle justice a standard, is runs girls a standard, a huge proportion of married people cheating on their spouses a standard, house helps molesting children a standard, armed robbers a standard, gang rape of that poor girl in a university, a standard too, ritualists a standard, our roads are death traps, those are standards, Dana airlines has resumed operation, that is a standard, doctors that don’t care about your wellbeing that can turn away a pregnant woman in crisis till she passed on that is a standard, a church school expelling students for not attending service (Christianity preaches forgiveness – a church school wants to ruin the lives of those students to muster the founders ego) that is a standard too. Nigerians are the greatest hypocrites. You live in a shithole, the children you are concerned about, are more in trouble from all that i just mentioned and more than homosexuality. I am not a supporter of homosexuality mind you, and will not tolerate it, but I have an issue with proponents against it using western or african moral standards as their argument, and you wonder why people don’t listen. My argument against homosexuality has always been this – If they say they are normal and they are “born this way” how come in their homosexual relationships they ALWAYS mirror the male and female roles of heterosexual relationships. How come? A same sex couple (whether male or female), one party will be the “male” you can tell by their dressing and approach, and the other party will be the obvious female. So far, I am yet to get any decent response from them, so I simply write them off as confused people and move on. As long as they are not disturbing me or affecting my life in anyway, let them carry go, I have my own sins that I’m battling with and praying for forgiveness. I don’t go all self righteous on anyone. Come down from your moral high horse Neks, you don’t have a leg to stand on. Evil ALREADY exists in our society. Great evil that is on the SAME LEVEL with homosexuality. Evil is evil, so please. My apologies for the long write up. I detest hypocrites and sycophants

• A. Taiwo January 4, 2013 at 11:11 AM

#Gbam #Gbam #Gbam

• Bode January 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Bunmi you HAVE NO RIGHT to tell someone else to SHUT UP! You could shut up too how about that? It should all start from us all allowing ourselves to air our opinions without fear of bully …that doesn’t mean our opinion is right or is law!
          I think whatever anyone does with their PRIVATE life is their business. As long as they keep it PRIVATE. We are Africans and DON’T WANT ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLES LEGALISED IN OUR SYSTEM! I don’t agree if caught they should be taken do jail, I agree if THEY PRACTICE THEIR HOMOSEXUALITY IN PUBLIC ,YES THEY SHOULD BE TAKEN TO JAIL! It’s offensive to Normal citizens and YES we are the majority and we do MATTER!

• Zinny January 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Well said , just a bunch of stupid hypocrites. Being gay is not natural but before you remove the spec in another persons eyes, sort yours first. Many people saying shit about morality and standard have bedded another woman’s husband or bribed their way to get something or even been involved in some sort of exam malpractice and they come here chatting shit about standard.

• Let them say January 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM

You have some very good points here Bunmi, but you don’t have to shut Neks up for airing her personal opinion of the matter, just as you have right to yours she has the right to hers, it doesn’t necessarily mean either is right- remember we perceive things differently. More so, this is a social platform, we don’t have to insult one another.

• Oka4 January 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM

@Bunmi
          I couldn’t have said it any better. Nigeria has so many problems that bringing homosexuality up as a priority is an extremely stupid move. In my opinion, this was meant to distract the “sheeople” from the pestilence and violence breaking out all around the country. How old is that country? An individual at that age would be considered an imbecile if (s)he was known for all that Nigeria is known for. However stupid the plot was, it seemed to have worked – goes to show how gullible Nigerians are. On the surface of things, you have those idiots (boko haram) causing mayhem all over the place killing people the way they wouldn’t dare kill sheep (for fear of retribution), you have your past leaders (most of who should face a firing squad on national tv starting with the ape, called man – obasanjo) who have gorged the resources of that great wasteland on their dastardly lame selfish selves and who now lend their putrid voices to those of you gullible fools, you have a country with no form of social welfare despite all the resources available to it, we experience robberies and rapes as a part of our daily routines and the list ‘gooooes’ on yet stupid morons come up with dumb solutions to non-existent problems in an effort to dislodge the feet of an unbelievably stupid population from the dust on which they stand. To face the matter at hand, how many of you have ever been maltreated sexually or otherwise by homosexuals? How has their chosen lifestyle disrupted your daily life and how do you see it doing so? How do their sins stop you from going to heaven (or hell)? If your children decide to dive into same sex relationships, blame your ways (karma works in mysterious ways). I am not gay and would lethally slap one who got in my face after a warning however, for those cowardly morons who would rather go out of their way to humiliate homosexuals, I say to you, a naked man cannot put his hands in his pocket. As an individual, you can make reasonable change. Start with where your feet can get you to. Protest against corruption at the lowest level, clear that and move to the next level. Do not wait until after elections to begin protests. Do not give an imbecile the opportunity to even contest in an election. Nigeria needs social welfare, we need a national identity; let it start with mandatory identity cards and retina scans for all official transactions. That way, the fools who allocate budgets to sheep and cattle in an effort to amass brainwashed uneducated and weaponised barbarians would have to be more creative (if they can be). Wealthy Nigerians should fund projects that take away the power of failed government organisations like nepa (or whatever they call it these days), intel and a host of other failed institutions. Nigeria can actually (more easily than most other African nations) become the real “giant of Africa”. It can easily boost its production per capita, exports, and income in a variety of ways. It wouldn’t harm the nation if more people had jobs and subsidised accommodation, there’ll be fewer risks, more free movement, more foreign investment, more tourism… I wouldn’t want to begin with the financial and business sector where that fool we have for president is just starting to get his bearings. I also do not understand why he felt the need to bring that fat woman in. The fact that she excelled in the world bank (where accountability is paramount) does not imply that she will in Nigeria (where corruption is rampant). In fact, if I believed in her prowess, I would say it gives her the upper hand in a country where the sheep seem to control the shepherd. And by the way how many of you have yet to understand the “oil subsidy removal” or “which oil subsidy to start with” debate. Oh! May God protect the fowl of the air and the beast of the land and sea.
          Light it up my people!
          N.B. sorry if it got a bit too long but this is just the iceberg.

• Grace January 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Very very sensible write-up! The only catch here is that if you legalise homosexuality here in Nigeria in a few years you get the same situation happening in Uk going on here. The homosexuals will want to have the same right to get married in churches. We all have our life to live and if two adult male or female believe they want to be together it’s their cup of tea in so far as they do not affect or cross other people’s rights and sensibilities

• Sugabelly January 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

I’m an African and I’m cool with any gay people we have here. Live and let live hypocritical Nigerians

• Chinwe January 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I need to buy a drink for that write up. You hit the nail on the head. Western standards my butt and he still uses the same platform (social media) borne out of westernization to defend his stance. I can’t stand people like that. My view live the way u want to as long as its not personally infringing on me. There are more serious stuff to worry about in our nation and homosexuality is definitely not on the top of the list

• frances January 4, 2013 at 7:14 PM

WORD!!! I share your thoughts on the matter.

• AA January 5, 2013 at 8:13 AM

Wo Bunmi, God bless you!! This is what I have been trying to explain to these hypocitical Nigerians. Child molestation, corruption, adultery etc are more harmful to children than homosexuality. And look o, all the countries that support gay rights are way more advanced than our own. Whose side do you think God is on? Just compare standard of living to find out

• ID January 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM

ID.
          I drive to nearby restaurant just to get a delight of delicacies offered.While waiting to be served ISIEWU,the Waiter walks up to me and says Hello sir. I responded saying hi, I have been duly attended to and that i was just waiting for my order. A customer says i should give this note to you.
          Below is the content:
          I have been admiring you for a while now.Wow! where did you get that physique from? Can i get to know you? BB Pin /Number.

ID: WHO GAVE YOU THIS NOTE;A MALE OR A FEMALE?
          WAITER : A MALE.
          I couldn’t believe my eyes. Each time i hear of Gay marriages or homosexuality i think of Karma kicking in for the west. Homosexuality is indeed rife and May God help us all.

• shola March 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM

This is the most sensible and balanced response from any Nigerian on this topic…May your well of wisdom never run dry!

• dee January 5, 2013 at 6:04 PM

and you will rather they grow up in a world where a man sleeps with his young daughters and people are burned alive on the streets. that apparently is more acceptable to you.

• Neo January 4, 2013 at 10:21 AM

I dont think the issue is whether or not homosexuality should be legalized or criminalised. For me it is a clear case of blurring the line between law and morality. Is homosexuality affecting the rights of others adversely? No it is not. If a man decides that it is another man that he wants to be kissing it will only pain me if they are fine. It is a personal issue that one has to sort out on their own, what do you believe? My faith teaches me that it is wrong but it is MY faith, I am the one that will judged by the standards of that faith. If the focus of the legislature is to criminalize homosexulaity then they may as well make a law making it compulsory for all christians to go to church on sunday or mulims to the mosque on friday.

It is not for the law to force issues of moral beliefs down the throats of others. Is it something that God cannot do if he wanted? The most important gift God gave us is freewill, He wants us to love from our hearts and do His will because we love Him and not because the law says we have to. If the devil is creeping into the society is it the law you will go and wave in his face. armed robbery is illegal, murder is illegal but has it stopped?

We have far bigger issues in this country and the legislature is worried about the gays. I’d take the gays over the farts in government anyday. At least what the gays do they do in the privacy of the bedroom not the public sodomy this nation has been subjected to.

• A. Taiwo January 4, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Neo! I love you. Can we get married already? LOL

• Miss T January 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Can BBC go some where else please. Must they come and look inside Nigeria? Can they just go and face their country and stop coming to do some silly documentaries. Nigerians have banned gay marriages, its not our culture people should deal with it . They should go inside UK and find out why the hell people are gay in the first place. Beats me!

• Dlapikin January 4, 2013 at 11:05 AM

So Armed robbery, rape, murder are not demonic activities! Yet those guilty of that get a better treatment socially?
        The part of the article and video where they say “no one asked for marriage” must have slipped by you I guess…

• Someone January 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

This is as a result of embracing western culture. This must be dealt with now before it turns to boko haram kind of issue. Being gay is NOT a sexual orientation but a demonic activity. Gay activities must not be allowed in Nigeria. I think this is one of the issue with democracy. The West is pushing for democracy in every country because of agendas like this. If you want to practice gay openly, then get your ticket and get out of the country.

• Dlapikin January 4, 2013 at 11:04 AM

• law January 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

@Neks, how deep can people continue to be ignorant? Homosexuality an option? Whoever said that? People are born gay! No one ever choses to become gay. Do you ever put yourself in their shoes? How do you think ssomeone would choose to live such life? Do you know how. Much struggle and bitterness they witness trying to stride along unnoticed? Because people like you Neks withs your hateful mind won’t accept their existence. What is disgusting is that African leaders now talk of morality and standards..if they knew a thing of morality they woudnt be looting billions of public funds, they wouldn’t have gained Nigeria the title one of the most corrupt nation in the world. People like you should direct your anger at your leaders who have taken homosexuality as a new frontier while not addressing tthe issues facing the nation,

• Someone January 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Homosexuality is a choice. No one human was born gay. Being gay became part of them because of what they exposed themselves to.

• Dlapikin January 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM

And you know that from…?

• Mo January 4, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Agree totally. It is a choice and what they were exposed to. The problem with Nigerians after reading a lot of this is everyone is prophesying “they are not gay but gays should have free choices”. If you say that then you are gay. We are not talking about arm robbery or other immoral acts here…at least when I read the article that was not the topic of discussion so leave that for another platform of discussion. We are talking about homosexuals. It is TOTALLY wrong, unacceptable, and worse so corruptible. It is corrupting the minds of a lot of you in this forum saying they should be free to do it as long as it does’nt affect you. Who said it won’t affect you. And @ Bunmi, you are almost missing it. I agree with Neks. We are trying to copy the western culture but we fail to realize our own sins in our land and on a different level from the Western world. Yes, sin is sin, but there is sin with technology and there is sin when you see someone and just hate and conspire to kill, kill and kill (our sin). Infact, let’s put it this way, in my opinion, the moment we accept an additional sin like homosexual, just be prepared for Nigeria not to exist any longer. Please people, let’s get it straight, if they legalize it in even the smallest amount, it WILL affect every single one of us and when we face God we will all give account on what we did/what role we played.

• Funmi January 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

God forbid……..By God standard gay and homosexuality is a sin and evil and should not be encouraged at all not to talk of gay marriage hahahahaha Olorun ma je ka ri ibinu re o

• Dlapikin January 4, 2013 at 11:00 AM

Would you rather let people be who they are or wake up one morning married to a gay person in hiding? I’m sure Nigeria has more urgent matters than to harass these people…

• steph January 4, 2013 at 3:48 PM

God bless you funmi!…all the ppl saying we have other problems to face,pls have a stadium of seats,that’s not the issue on ground,i believe that gay right should not be made legal.if the reverse becomes the case,ppl will feel like being gay is an option,biko,in 9ja,its not.But 14 years in prison is just too much.The government should not make it legal,that’s my opinion.Ps. I just believe that gay ppl aren’t well psychologically…

• Pippa January 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

You that is talking, I hope you have never lied before, stolen, engaged in premarital sex, gossiped, bribed your way out of a situation, disobeyed the law. In fact list out the ten commandments right now, and come back and tell us that you have always obeyed it. List out all the things the Bible warns us not to do, and tell me you have kept to all of them. I mean all. When people criticise the pastors lavish lifestyle, people like you will be screaming, Touch not my annointed, do not judge, do not judge. Selective idiocy.
          So, it is easy for you to open your mouth and say those other problems we have on ground is not the issue at hand. Ha, lobatan. So what will be the issue please. The ones in your face kokoroko affecting you and i, it is so easy for you to sweep aside and say that is not the issue at hand. You see why Nigeria is the way it is. You will not listen to your own conscience, yet you will jump on the case of another man’s own. I am guessing you are a bible believing prayer warrior too. It is your likes that throng to churches in millions yet we are the most corrupt nation on earth.
          That Mo person was saying if we dont take a stand now, the Lord will judge us all on the last day for the role we played. See tunnel vision o. All the rubbish in our society, who will be judged for them, tell me. You think you will not be judged for the role you are playing in the hell that is Nigeria now. Seriously!!!!!!!. No need talking to people like you, you are all robots of your Pastors. You cannot think independently by yourself.
          To highlight the other problems of our society doesnt mean that one condones homosexuality, if you cant see that, your mind is quite narrow. Its not either or, its just bringing to the your attention, all the other things you should be against too, and not pick one and jump on it. If you still cant see that, I pray you dont wake up one day with a spouse who says they are gay or a child who says they are gay, then what will you do then. Bind and cast, take them to church for deliverance?
          Remember that phrase – just because someone else sins differently than you do? I’ll leave you to complete the rest. Remember, the next time you scream thou shall not judge in support of a pastor. Talk to the man in the mirror first. The Bible you use in defense of your argument is also clear on that too. Stop picking and choosing, when to be a Christian/Muslim. The Lord doesnt need you to fight battles for Him.
          P.S – I will say it again. I am not in support of homosexuality, but I dont judge other people that do. If using morals, morals has not helped in the West, why do we think it will work here? They see people like us as hypocrites, so why will they listen to us and change their ways. You dont fight evil with hypocrisy. You will never win.

• Bola January 4, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I totally agree with neks and funmi. I do not want my children growing up in a country where they think homosexuality is an option. People are not born gay -. Man + Man or woman+woman cannot yield children, hence with gays, there is no continuation of life. this is simple logic. Homosexuality is something Nigerians have picked up from the West and think is cool. Having lived in London for a while I will not raise my kids here and I am damn sure not going to let anyone make Nigeria similar to the West. So all you gays, kindly seek asylum where you are welcomed.

• Dlapikin January 4, 2013 at 12:07 PM

Of course, since every time people have had sex in the history of humanity it was to create life! Utter nonsense… If that reasonning holds then make laws for people who can’t have children or don’t want children because their sexuality is definitely of no purpose. They should be sent to jail along with the many who waste sperm and eggs having recreational sex. That would teach them well!

• Bola January 4, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Someone should conduct a test, get three groups of people never exposed to the world.
      1: A boy and a girl
      2. A boy and a boy
      3. A girl and a girl
      And lets see who first knows to have sex. It’ll be group 1. Group 2 will probably fight and group 3 will gist for hours. What we listen to, see and read is what influences our lives.

• Mo January 4, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I like this…this is my new arguement from today….

• sly January 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM

strict moral values have no compromises

• emeka January 4, 2013 at 11:48 AM

MOST OF US AT TYMS REFUSE 2 BELIEVE OR SAY DY TRUTH..WE TALK OF ARMED ROBERY,PROSTITUTION,KIDNAP ETC..PLS ARE DZ EVIL DEEDS LEGALISED???YES 9JA IS A CORUPT COUNTRY BT SHLDNT WE TINK OF MAKIN IT BETA DAN WORSENING IT???I SAY NO NO NO 2 GAY MARIAGE..CHRISTAINITY N ISLAM RELIGION CONDEMNS IT TOTALLY..JUS BECOS WE R A GROWING NATION DOES NT MEAN WE SHLD IMPORT EVIL IN2 OUR COUNTRY…COME 2 TINK OF IT DID OUR FATHERS N MOTHER MARY DIA FELOW MEN N WOMEN???A WORD S ENUF 4 DY WISE

• what January 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

what people fail to understand is that even though gays have free will to move around now……majority of westerners are still very against Gay policies, and campaign against them……the west government/parliaments are still trying to convince their almighty western population that being gay is right and gays should not be bullied…….so they have not yet convinced their people ….yet they want to come and plant the idea on Africans?…..I am not against gays as long as they are not in my face but the Western media and BBC are hypocrites because their own people still campaign against gays …especially the idea of gay marriage..

• Dlapikin January 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

I am sure somewhere in south africa a white man is saying the same thing about people of color… “Why force us to abolish apartheid and call us racist when in their own country they are still trying to convince their people everyone is equal”… Brilliant!

• what January 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

please how is that the same?……..you bring up robbery and other illegal or morally corrupt activities as example but wwhat you fail to understand is that even though they are all wrong they are still ILLEGAL……..so why legalize Gay?…..

Also from your statements i understand your pro gay……but how does apartheid come into this?…when the whites themselves are yet to convince and see their fellow white gays as equal?…..if its truly normal…like @Bunmi brought up….my on is how come gays still want children or procreate…knowing fully well you cant procreate with the same sex?

• what January 4, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Honestly I am open minded and would not judge and would like to see your argument….infact if i have a gay child i would not condemn but be there for them, even though society might be harsh……but that does not mean it is biologically or in my opinion morally right……like i said as long as its private ….no one needs to know your sex life publicly that goes for heterosexuals as well, but they are the majority …….

• Mo January 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

@ Dlapikin…I am sick and tired of people like you indirectly linking or trying to compare matters like colors to ‘homosexes’. DOnt you get it, they are TWO different topics. Its wrong, its wrong and God forbid for Nigeria as a country to compromise. Someone made a good point, how many of our folks or even their friends were gay in their time? Pleeeeeassse…

• Simya January 4, 2013 at 6:36 PM

@Mo ‘how many of our folks or even their friends were gay in their time? ‘ that is the most ignorant statement of life. How do you think HIV came into Nigeria. I know of peoples parent’s that are gay. They have always been gay people my dear, it is not a new development

• deedee January 4, 2013 at 11:55 AM

This article is about homosexuality and not about the other evils happening in Nigeria. I do not believe anyone was born gay.

• dexter January 4, 2013 at 12:46 PM

thank u ooo…..help me tell this pple who think dey r so educated!!!nobody was born gay.if u listen 2 their stories sef dem go tell u say dey start to feel d tin at one certain age,maybe 8 or 10 or somn else.d koko sha,nobody was born gay.d thing is just societal influence and popularity of the trend right now.my mum still maintains it is an evil spirit tho and is a gr8 sin.check leviticus 18:22 and 20:13.#justmy2cents

• Madubuidi January 4, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Gays are genetic mistake by nature whereby excessive male or female hormones dwell in the body with an opposite sexual organ. We need to allow them be and protect them as a minority. We should not use our religious or moral sentiments to ostracise them. The good thing the legislators ought to have done is to ignore their activities and maybe stop them from getting married. They do not pose any danger to others like avaricious politicians or fanatics making comments here. The white people who allowed them have made deep research on them before doing so. We haven’t researched or contributed to the advancement of humanity in any way to challenge them. We did not invent electricity, automobiles, telephony, in short nothing, so we have to copy those who did and are still inventing cure for ordinary malaria not sitting down here to talk chor chor chor like village women.

• LM January 4, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Hmmnnn…. I wonder if this your genetic mistake theory happens in animals too or whether it is specific only to the human race…show me a gay Bingo and I’ll belive you!

• Mo January 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

@ Madubuidi, are you saying God made a mistake? You are using science now…wow…I am baffled at some of these comments here

• Teniola January 4, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I hope those of you commenting about our moral standards, which we never had anyway, are as passionate about all the ills in our society. If you will campaign against homosexuality as it is not biblical or islamic, in the same vein campaign vigorously about all the others. If you want to take a moral or biblical or islamic stand, don’t cherry pick. That is the point. To the person that said we are a growing country, my goodness, that’s the best excuse you can come up with, sitting in the comfort of your own home typing rubbish. Tell the victims of such evi vices in our sciety that we are a growing country, they should sorry. Did westerners import corruption too, or they imported sleeping with other people’s wives and husbands, or they invented. Policeman that will shoot you for 20 naira. All the evils mentioned in the bible you will find in Nigeria, all of them. We haven’t sorted those ones out despite the millions of churches on every corner. Doesn’t that tell us something. We already live in an evil society, make no mistake. No one here is asking for homosexuality to be legalised, but the ay you guys are going about it as if nigeria is holier than the vatican city so it should not be tainted. Like we live in Utopia. More like Sodom and Gomorrh let’s be honest. Abi godly people would havemurdered the Aluu 4. Even the vatican city is full of murder, paedophilia, bribery, corruption, and the likes. Go look at their history, there is blood on their hands too. Don’t even let me talk about the ills that you will also find in Saudi Arabia, too. All covered or shrouded in peity and pretense. Some are saying for our children’s sake. If you are so worried about your children, please rise up and stand strong and campaign against all the rest of the evil in society. Those are the ones you should be most afraid of. You let your children watch DSTV unsupervised, they have phones, laptops, ipads with internet access, and you are talking about western influences not polluting your children. LMAO. Delusion should be your middle name. Lol

• Funmi January 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I do not believe people were born gay! The west is clearly influencing belief systems here; their intentions are well an truly clear. Since the BBC has made an online documentary, a TV documentary will follow, which will eventually lead to attracting the attention of the high and mighty of the Western society interfering and try to change this law.
      In the western society, homosexuality first started as something that should just be accepted, then they asked for marriage, now they are adopting children. The funny thing is at this point, they know and realise that as being gay is not natural, they need a surrogate to make their “dreams” of having children come true.
      Yes, there are far more important issues that need to be dealt with in Nigeria, but accepting homosexuality to our society will just be an addition to the problems of our nation.

• lole January 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

er……..we r all entitled to our opinion and obviously the majority votes count and majority of the people in our country are against that and in as much as they don’t like it , too bad!. i am against it because of my religion and simply because of nature . its a man and woman and our bodies are built that way. i refuse to accept it and hope it becomes law! (MY OPINION!!!!)

• Perspective January 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

“To face the matter at hand, how many of you have ever been maltreated sexually or otherwise by homosexuals? How has their chosen lifestyle disrupted your daily life and how do you see it doing so? How do their sins stop you from going to heaven (or hell)? ” GBAM!!!!!
      The other vices in our society affect us directly. Corruption, armed robbers, boko haram, negligence of our doctors, stray bullets from policemen, I can go on and on, and those ones are not even legal sef. I’m not saying they should legalise gay marriage, but lets face the ones that affect us and our families directly and leave those ones to their Maker. Simple and short. Pretending that we dont have homosexuality in our society is just foolish. Gay marriage will never be legalised in Nigeria we all know that. We are too restricted as a people, it wont happen. We all know that. These lawmakers are just using it as smokescreen to deceive us that they are working for the Nigerian people. Meanwhile what they are doing to us as a nation is even worse than homosexuality, and just as immoral. Half a sin, full sin, 3 quater sin, all is sin. We all fall short of His Glory, none of us has a moral leg to stand on like #Bunmi said. We are all struggling with our own sins. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE ELSE SINS DIFFERENTLY THAN YOU DO DOESNT MAKE YOU BETTER THAN THEM. Let us examine ourselves individually, and we’ll see that focusing on another person sin, you are also flouting the Bible where it says, remove the log from your own eye, before you talk about the spec in another persons eyes. Full Stop.

• Kenny January 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Bunmi, just because something is popular, mean its right. The standard you talked about is an issue in Nigeria, but people know this and acknowledge this. We are doing are best to tackle this menace and not legitimise it like you are advocating by your comparerism. Being able to communicate eloquently doesn’t mean you are talking sense. Wisdom is the principal thing, not knowledge. . Please take note

• Teniola January 4, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Uncle Kenny, can you read at all. Okay, just in case you were too lazy to finish the comment, I have copied and pasted the last section of @Bunmi’s commment.
        ” I am not a supporter of homosexuality mind you, and will not tolerate it, but I have an issue with proponents against it using western or african moral standards as their argument, and you wonder why people don’t listen. My argument against homosexuality has always been this – If they say they are normal and they are “born this way” how come in their homosexual relationships they ALWAYS mirror the male and female roles of heterosexual relationships. How come? A same sex couple (whether male or female), one party will be the “male” you can tell by their dressing and approach, and the other party will be the obvious female. So far, I am yet to get any decent response from them, so I simply write them off as confused people and move on. As long as they are not disturbing me or affecting my life in anyway, let them carry go, I have my own sins that I’m battling with and praying for forgiveness. I don’t go all self righteous on anyone. Come down from your moral high horse Neks, you don’t have a leg to stand on. Evil ALREADY exists in our society. Great evil that is on the SAME LEVEL with homosexuality. Evil is evil, so please. My apologies for the long write up. I detest hypocrites and sycophants”

• Sexxie January 4, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I detest the high level of hypocrisy among us Nigerians, Homosexuality is a sin before God and man(some anyway). It’s a choice influenced by d society and the western world. My prob is with our lawmakers, same men & women who sit there and decide what should be prohibited or not are the same people who practice this abomination…70% of them are bisexuals, sodomizing under graduates in exchange for money, luxury goods & trips abroad, sodomizing bankers for accounts…the list is endless. Is it our Governors & some top politicians? We all know these stories. That said, d guys at d helm of our affairs in this country should focus on more important issues plaguing us and leave homosexuals to God

• Ngozi January 4, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Nobody knows why people are gay although I have never understood how homosexuality is an option because if it is an option especially in a country like Nigeria, after analyzing the stigma attached to it, the average sane human being will not embrace it. So I think it is wrong for us to start saying it is a matter of choice. Yes, as a Christian, my bible tells me it is wrong but my bible also tells me not to judge. My bible also tells me that in the eyes of God ALL sins are EQUAL! Accordingly the liar, the fornicator, the thief, one who commits adultery, one who judges others, ALL THESE PEOPLE HAVE COMMITTED SINS CARRYING EQUAL WEIGHT! I think the legislators have taken the approach they have to divert the attention of Nigerians from the real issues that the country is plagued by. I advise everyone, if you see a lesbian couple or a gay couple kissing. As far as they have not invited you to join in or have not approached you in any way, my dear remove your face and mind your business. To be honest living in London I have seen even straight couples behave in a most vulgar way in public where children are, surely this is evil (its mini porn as i like to call it) and I have also seen two hot men kissing and have felt just as bad as when i’ve seen straight couples being vulgar. My point is this, Nigerians please let us focus on real issues! This as far as I am concerned is of little significance to the rape of young children b so called principals, pastors and adults, the security concerns, the crappy healthcare system, the only God knows how licensed unsafe aeroplanes, Dame Jonathans gbagauns and flamboyant outfits (L0L) AND OTHER REAL ISSUES THAT AFFECT YOU AND ME!

• Iffy January 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

If you people like,shout from now till next year.O ginidi sef?What is it? The way i see it those who are not in support of homosexuality are the ones being bullied.Hian! I am not comfortable with it…it affects me.I am pscychologically distrubed when i see two men kissing and necking in a public place.What is it???Then i air my opinion and suddenly they are the ones being discriminated against?No heterosexual (that i know of anyway) goes around with a tee shirt and very obnoxious behaviour announcing their sexuality. Same thing goes for all of you butt poking lot. Keep it to your selves!and behind closed doors please.

• To iffy January 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

So the runs girls that you see on the street with men old enough to be their grandfathers doesnt disturb you. Or a married man carrying girls around with his wedding ring still on his hand doesnt disturb you. Or the story of Cynthia Osokogwu and the Aluu 4 doesnt disturb you. Or you see a policeman harassing a bus conductor for money and threatening to shoot him doesnt disturb you, or the sight of people dying in our hospitals doesnt disturb you, or your friend telling you at work how her boss wants to sleep with her or she gets sacked, that doesn’t disturb you. Or seeing marketers on the streets of Lagos, Abuja and co, all dressed up to attract “customers” to open accounts with them, that one doesnt disturb you. Like Ngozi said just above, you’ve not seen a man and a woman behaving vulgar in public before, you’ve not seen a man and a woman exhibiting obnoxious behaviour in public before. All that doesnt psychologically disturb you. You see where your line of thought is going. Homosexuality is disturbing no doubt, but all the other evils which you have conveniently closed your eyes to, or have come to accept, shouldnt those ones disturb you too? Shouldnt you also be shouting on the rooftops against them? Look in the mirror iffy, you’ll see the words hypocrite staring right back at you. Since you can allow all the other people practising those other immoral stuff live their life and continue doing what they want, even if you dont agree with it (at least i dont see you going about harassing or arresting those people too), then you should also carry your face commot and look somewhere else too. If you open the gate for one, you may as well open the gate for all. That is the point some of us are trying to make. Hypocrisy is a huge problem in our society and that is why we can’t move forward. Accepting homosexuality is not moving forward o, don’t get me wrong, but there are equally as bad or even worse elements in our society that we are doing nothing about. If we did something about those other rubbish in our society the way we are all “disgusted” about homosexuality now, our society will be better than what it is now. You better be exposing corruption, championing the cause of EFFCC for example if you want to stand on a moral high ground and campagin against homosexuality. Kapish.

• Iffy January 5, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Gbam.You have said it all yourself.The issue of runz gehs and all other vices are equally bad.But this topic,this thread is discussing homosexuality. Campaign all you want.It’s my opinon and i am entitled to it.I am not in support of homosexuality. And that my dear,is all.If this is what being closed minded and backward is all about,so be it. Oh! and all of you open minded 21st century free thinking people…all of you saying if your kids turned out gay you would be okay with it….be careful what you wish for oh,you just might get it.

• nich January 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

for me legalizing gay in nigeria means the end of africa……………under no condition should gay people be allowed to practice openly………

• Pippa January 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM

and what is so special about africa, please tell us.

• keke January 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM

This is part a long term strategy to legalize homosexuality in Nigeria. it started this way about 38years ago in the US and they will keep chipping at it until people get use to mentioning the word gay/home… and rights in Nigeria in the same sentence without a raised eyebrow, then they will make =whatever demands they have in mind.

Long term strategy. See ya’ll are already holding the discussion to ease the passage. Interesting

• iamfascinating January 4, 2013 at 4:37 PM

amazing, its very clear that homosexuality is perversion and a distortion of the natural order. Its important to note though that discrimination solves nothing. May God help us.

thestunninglady.blogspot.com

• Pippa January 4, 2013 at 4:49 PM

Bless you. Very short and succinct. You couldnt have put it better. You cant fight evil with hypocrisy.

• Chy January 4, 2013 at 5:45 PM

Bunmi I like the way you think. Girl you make sense. exactly what I thought. If the gays say they are born this way, why are they always playing the male and female role in their relationship. Simply confused human beings.

• Fatimah January 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM

It’s really funny when the anti-gay peeps here are the one being labelled hypocrites. Seriously? We are talking homosexuality here, you are telling me about corruption and Aluu4? It’s only hypocrites that muddle up issues. We are talking homosexualism please stick to the discussion at hand! The people that criticized Aluu4, Abacha, that took to the streets against removal of fuel subsidy and are continually criticizing and making their opinions known wrt Govt policies (most recently the 60bn worth of phones for farmers) are Nigerians not Ghosts or aliens from Mars. Twitter went on fire over Koko concert fraud (yes, it is corruption to sell to more people than you can accommodate). The tweeters were Nigerians, so yes, we know about corruption, Boko Haram etc. and we condemn it with all our hearts as we condemn Homosexuality so don’t bring bullshit to this table. We are talking about clearing the drainage, you are talking about hold-up on the Express? how e take join? Abeg!

There is nothing natural/in-born about homosexuality. They always try to mirror heterosexual relationships . Until, I see two men acting, speaking and dressed like men actually have full frontal sexual intercourse (erect penis to erect penis, no anus please) or two females (vagina to vagina, no dildos or anything remotely looking like a penis) and of course, the ‘female’ in this case MUST get pregnant. Until then, homosexuality, lesbianism remains a choice… a choice we do not want in our society. In fact as an experiment, why don’t the rich ones among them create a community for them and let’s see whether they won’t go extinct in less than 100 years (no adoption, surrogacy or magical scientific creation allowed). Nonsense!

You won’t say because your spouse is cheating and lying to you day and night that it is okay for your married gateman/driver to be sleeping with your housemaid. After all as long as she is doing her job, does not get pregnant and they are not using your matrimonial bed, it is not affecting you or is it? Hypocrites!

• Surprised Nigerian January 4, 2013 at 6:56 PM

……….and fatimah has always obeyed all the laws of the Bible or the Koran. She is blameless and without sin. Sin is sin, amnesia must be worrying you. Please google is your friend, go and check for the meaning of hypocrisy. Check well, you’ll see Fatimah written in italics. At least I haven’t read so far anyone saying it is natural or normal, or it should be accepted. If you read all the comments, you won’t find it there. Some are simply stating that we should not scream blue murder to some people and simply accept the rest. You must be drinking a special kind of Kool-Aid, if you think complaining on twitter achieves anything. Armchair activists. The western world you all vilify, who created the internet and twitter? You can use and copy their technology, and not create your own, yet you can shout, they should not pollute your culture. Examine our culture, and it is just as sick, evil and perverted as theirs, so we don’t have the upper hand to shout holy holy. You could even mention twitter, you no even get shame or brain at all. What I found interesting is how easy it is for you and others to simply say, leave those other ones aside, let us discuss the matter at hand. Once you say that, I’m afraid it is difficult for anyone to take you seriously. because those issues you are so willing to move aside, are the ones that are affecting you and your neighbours directly, and you only scream and shout about them on twitter and keep quiet, while the same ol same continues. Wetin concern you with your gateman sleeping with your housemaid. How does it affect you. The one affecting you directly you haven’t resolved. You cannot face your own serial cheat of a husband, you are judging gateman and housemaid. You see wetin we dey talk. (with your own fingers you just shot yourself in the foot). Two consenting adults, is he raping her, leave them to their Maker, their judgement day will come. So because they work for you, you should now control what they do in their private time. Last I checked that’s slavery, and the black race still judges the white man for what they did to us, and here you are a fellow black woman practising slavery. So madam holier than thou, your point is? Delusional Hypocrite.

• Nicegurl January 4, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Thank you. My thoughts exactly.

• chinwe January 4, 2013 at 7:41 PM

For goodness sake can we leave the west and westerners out of this?! Homosexuality is as old as man! Stop the blame game and hypocrisy ! Everyone has a right to sexual preference! The FGN is a joke!

• Sparkle January 4, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Homosexuality is a sin either you want to believe it or not and must not be legalised in our country. If you want to be a gay or a lesbian let it be in your closet don’t come and rub it on our faces.

• Dlapikin January 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Do you realize that there is a difference between putting someone in jail for their sexuality and forbidding them to act in public?

• Busy Sade January 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

well from what I have read so have it appears that the topic has changed from homosexuality to hypocrites corruption and all the social and criminal ills in Nigeria. Please let us remember that the thieves stealing our money have not asked us to legalize stealing nor corruption . If we all agree that sin is sin and we want to legalize one sin, so why don’t we just legalize every sin. Na wa o!

• jade January 4, 2013 at 8:41 PM

@bunmi and every other person that has write ups, what the heck is wrong with morals. Okay so i agree we dont have any but does that diminish the fact that morality exists and that there is a right and wrong way in doing things. Now i for 1 am not homophobic at all, and i do follow christian beleifs which teaches that homosexuality is WRONG. However i am also taught to love each and evryone and that includes persons whose sexual orientation is diff from mine. Would i want to kill the person no, but stating that there are other more heinous crimes out there does not diminish the travesty of the matter. Yes evil is out there, yes there are hyprocrites and drug pushers, bombers, murderers and the lot. But to placate the matter doesnt do anything. Avoiding passing judgement doesnt do anything either. All the things you have mentioned is wrong< and so is homosexuality. why do people always tip toe around the subject but stand firm for all the other things. Have a say, speak up, talk about it, and if you have the means do sumn abt it as well. Geeeesh

• James Mbachie January 4, 2013 at 8:50 PM

There are certain matters that are not natural. Son sleeping with mother, daugthter sleeping with father (all called incest), man sleeping with cow or dog sleeping with woman (called bestiality). All these things are not natural but people are engaging in them and just because some minority people are engaging in them does not make them right or should make society legalise it. If anyone things homosexuality is right, please tell me why incest is wrong because I have them in the same book.

• abby January 4, 2013 at 9:06 PM

my pple!!! my naija pple may we try cure the sin wey we bin dey sin…to add sin upon sin nah to dey add salt to injury…our dear naija dun gt 2 much wahala,to come add gayism to am nah e b say u wan cause kasala 4 we country…abeg my pple,if e nor affect you e go affect ur pikin,,,b wise …shine ur eyes,make we all join 2geda mak nigeria a beta place[morally inclusive}

• toju January 4, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Why are we so hypocritical in this part of the world. The same reason why we claim to be the giant of Africa with so much problems. And I see no reason why we should compare homosexuality with robbery, corruption and other ‘crimes. When two men decide to sleep 2geda in bed, hw does that affect the 3rd party and those sayin all sorts that homosexuality is a crime. Let the two men involved in the sin face judgement with their creator, that’s no man business. We should pay more attention to the sins of robbery and corruption that affects our neighbor. If a man decides to have sex with a man, that’s is business in as much as he doesn’t force it on another man,if they both agree, shikena. We jst get carried away with unnecessary talks. And for those agitating for the 14 year jail term, don’t b too fast in doin that cos ur brother, husband or even father may fall victim which in the long run puts you too at risk. LIVE & LET’S LIVE!!!

• huh January 4, 2013 at 11:35 PM

but that is the point we want them to do their thing….but people are saying they should be made legal?…..the whole point why corruption and the rest are wrong in the first place is because they are illegal…do your thing no wahala

• joy January 4, 2013 at 10:26 PM

if all the comment so far are comparing homosexuality to bokoharam corruption e t then please Nigeria’s should oppose all strategies by pro gay advocates to legalize or accepting this vice as normal cos it’s not and so is corruption and co.

• Someone January 5, 2013 at 1:05 AM

Everyone has their own opinion honestly. I as a christian it is against my relgion for a man to sleep with a man and a woman to sleep with woman. That’s just how i see it. If you try and bring this to the Nigerian community honestly lets be real they WILL not accept. May in the next 20 years but as of now Nigerians will not accept it. There is no need for you to tell someone to shut up. They have the right to free speech. Don’t try and impose your opinion on someone else.

• Banke. A January 5, 2013 at 1:28 AM

t is either you all can’t read, or you are so blind to hate, it is clouding your brain, or maybe you are dyslexic, because i tire. I just finished reading all the comments now. Please tell me where you read anyone asking for it to be legal. Nigerians, i tire o. is English now your problem. If this method of throwing the bible and morals at homosexuality, didn’t work in western countries, shey it is nigeria that is more rotten than, i don’t know again sef that it will work. Why are all this gba jesu people so narrow minded like this. Try another tactic. I like what @Bunmi said. Confused people. They always revert to male female roles in their relationships, i think that is the key to tackling this issue, cos religion and morality sure aint working. If you like scream till your voice goes hoarse, nothing will happen. Don’t you know when you ban something, scandalise it or shroud it in mystery or make it forbidden, that is when it becomes even more appealing. Hey, go back to the Adam and Eve story and the forbidden fruit. Look at children and teenagers. It is that which you say they should not do, that they explore out of curiosity, mischief or naivety. Lets look at premarital sex, as another example. Didn’t our parents, pastors, teachers preach against it, what do we now have. Fornication everywhere. The boy and girl having sex outside marriage are committing the same sin as a homosexual. I dare you to try to explain the boy, girl sexual relationship outside marriage as more acceptable because they are heterosexual. The same religious and moral angle preached against premarital sex is not working. No one is pro gay here, but all of you going all religious against it, had better still be virgins o, or when you married your spouse, both of you were virgins. So look at yourself well, didn’t they warn you too about premarital sex, didn’t the bible preach it to you too, and your pastors and your parents. You still went ahead and slept with your boyfriend or girlfriend, and are still doing it as i write. I’m not going to go the route of other commenters by comparing homosexuality to boko harm and corruption etc because that’s apples and oranges. I’m going the sex route too.
      Before you condemn something, present a solution. It is against our religion, it is against our culture it is western, bla bla bla. That is just burying your head in the sand. Premarital sex is also that, and what do we have now. At least ages and ages and ages ago our forefathers were chaste before marriage.

• NNENNE January 5, 2013 at 2:16 AM

BN, which healthcare worker seeks for people’s sexual orientation before treating them? I
      don’t ever remember a doctor wanting to know if I was married before treating me. Same goes for gays.
      BBC should leave us alone.They have dictated our lives for so long.Part of the reason for the chaos in Africa today. If Britain love us so much, they should pay off our debt or something.
      Nigeria is an entity that was existing before they found us. We have a right to live our lives the we choose. We have a right to a culture different from theirs.BTW, they can absorb these gay people in their society and settle them. Did they they not take our brothers and sisters to develope their land as slaves?

• poshilla! January 5, 2013 at 4:37 AM

abegi! AND WHO WAN BEGIN DEY READ ALL DESE NOVELS U GUYS ARE WRITING IN THE NAME OF COMMENTS!MTSCHEWWWWWWW !#SCRATCHIN MA EYES

• AnONYMouS January 5, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Chimuo! See thread sha…I must comment NIGERIANS are by far the WORST HYPOCRITES on earth! And I am really thankful for the opportunity to live in a developed country. I tell you one thing, my mind is far broader than it was when I lived in Nigeria. I dont see people and just judge them just because we dont think in the same ways… Most of the myopic people commenting here are those who will partake in the so called lesser evils and scream on those stealing Nigeria’s fund. If you dont know, you that lied and another that is gay are going to the same hell.

• WallStreet January 5, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I find it very funny that Christians – okay, seems its become a title or designation as opposed to a way of life (being ChristLike) – rant about issues such as homosexuality and shady pastors… If we spent more time studying the Bible, we’d realise that all of these are (inevitably) fulfilling prophesies – “men will become lovers of themselves” … Not saying we should wine and dine and watch the world implode cause afterall, na prophesy wey dey come to pass, but see it as a call to live lives holy and acceptable, with heaven in sight… Have a Blessed Year ahead

• NNENNE January 6, 2013 at 4:03 AM

@Pippa…Just like the west, everything is special about Africa!
      All we need in this world is respect for each other. Believe it or not, none of us; Europe, Asia, Africa,etc, have it all or know it all!
      We should celebrate our differences instead of imposing our ways of life on others.

• merry xmas BN readers January 7, 2013 at 2:55 PM

In a sensitive issue like this,the so call IDAK will not comment,if it comes to attacking individual directly,he won’t hestitate to rant..scratching my head in all dis long comment

• Someone January 7, 2013 at 8:13 PM

What does a man that does not WANT a woman be looking for in a man that ACTS like a woman?

• Lara January 11, 2013 at 12:49 PM

@Madubuidi, we all believe that human beings are made by God. Do u think God makes such mistakes? I doubt that. These pple choose what they wanted to be, do not put the blame on nature. if u listen to some of them, you will find out that they were introduced or lured to it, especially those who attended boarding schools. Stories of how little boys and girls are being used by seniors or even teachers have been told. Just tell me what will become of that small boy or that small girl who was lured to it?
      Another main cause is the devil, he knows it is an ABOMINATION b4 God.
      I know there are other sins which we commit and which will lead to eternal suffering, but there are some that God call AN ABOMINATION and gay is one of them.

• Franky May 8, 2013 at 6:10 PM

I will approach this ffrom the religious angle..the Binle in Gen 19 v 5, leviticus 18 vs 22-23 Deut 23 v 17, judges 19 v 22-24 Romans 1 v 24-27 all deal with homosexual conducts. In each of these cited verses the act is condemmed. However the underlining question is : if homosexuality has existed from Genesis times till date, and rather than abate it is increasing daily, do our national assembly dabbling into such moral issues make any difference? It beats my imagination that with the pleathoria of problems confronting the nation Nigeria ,almost on the brink of breaking up..our legislators should dabble into moral issues and criminalise it…what are our churches doing..many who have confessed their sins are delivered..it didnt take legislation from the national assembly for them to repent…it is like holy ghost invasion…when it dawns on you..you will prophesy and speak in tongue…there are divisions of labour in every thing…if our national assembly cannot find a way to stop the corruption they are enmesshed in and the stealing of national wealth while unemployment and criminality soars..then they should all come home..and find something more useful to do…they are not impressing me one bit and i think they are idle..

• paul July 12, 2013 at 4:31 PM

Dear friends (I hope I may call you friends),
      I am 57 years old and I am gay. I had and have a lot of friends who are female! I had a relationship with a girl when I was 21, my first relationship. It went out that I didn’t feel well to kiss a girl. It didn’t made me feel comfortable… So after a few mounths I brook up and went to find out for myself that I liked girls just as friends but not as a partner… I was realy upset and had to fight against my feelings but I had to realize that I AM GAY. I didn’t wanted to have a male partner because I don’t wanted to be called gay and to live with the feeling that I was did something most people didn’t like. .. The most painful point in my life was I woundn’t have children. It makes me feel so sad. I talked with my parents about my feelings for men. They sent me to a psychiatric because they wanted the best for me, they wanted to protect me for the bad talks of other people, but I knew it wouldn’t help me. It were my sisters (5) and brothers (2) and my parents who supported me to be who I am. And I became proud on it that I was just a normal man who has the difficulty that he liked men. I became responsable in my job and became someone in charge in the institute I work for.
      When I was 27 y. I found my man and lived with him for 27years without seeing other guys and we both were very happy. We didn’t ‘play’ the role of male and female, never dressed up like queens or ladies. We were just two men living with eachother. Respected by family, neighbours, friends, at our job, the priest of our church and many priest who were our friends , etc. My partner became a manager of an huge branch store and I became responsable for a part of the institute I work for. we are respected because we are just normal people. Nobody made a problem because we loved. We love eachother! Is there any problem to love someone and to show that to eachother???!!!
      I visited Africa many times and I like Africa and their people. I am always wondered about there vieuw on homosexality. They always seems to like to jugde. Even the Lord don’t do this on me. He never told somewhere when I love someone I am doing wrong.
      I feel still sory not to have children or to adopt some what was and is possible in the country I live in (Belgium). But I sponsor kids in Africa and in India so they can go to school and grown up to a good live. I don’t give any influence about my way of live. Maybe they will not like me if I would tell them I am gay, but does that matter? I just want to let them have a better life, because the Lord told me that I have to take my responsabillity.
      I didn’t choose myself to be gay I couldn’t choose.
      Who thinks that you can choose are weak people! Do you realy think that your son or dauchter will choose to be gay when they like more a partner of the opposite sex? Please look in your heart and see on wich way you make the decision to choose your lover, your partner! Did you ever doubth about your choice?
      Now that I am happy I could/can live my life here on this site, that my parents are consirning about me, that friends are just friends, that the kids of my sisters and brothers likes me a lot and that I have the feeling that they are also a bit as mine, that I have friends all over the world who believes in me and don’t judge on me because I LOVE a man . I wish every African gay coud have the same way of life like I have, to be respected and to feel welcome!
      I know that some of you still have the feeling that I am doing something wrong, I forgive you not to believe in love between to people…
      yours, paul

• Joanna January 14, 2014 at 3:25 AM

Sorry Paul, that emotional story doesn’t change the unnatural nature of homosexuality. Don’t impose your lifestyle on others is the message, especially when you’re in the tiny minority.

• Adekunle Adegboyega January 15, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Stop descrimination.

• david January 25, 2014 at 1:58 AM

everything is wrong with homosexuality, we must say no to
      it, please how can we (society) encourage homosexuality? we have a
      duty to protect our children, our future, our good culture, our
      christian convictions, our morals and our people. homosexuality
      will destroy humanity, it will endanger the holistic normal
      development of our children, it will not give a future as regard
      human continuation, it is against our good African culture, those
      of us who profess Jesus as Lord can not but wage a serious battle
      against it. do not be deceive, people should be free to be
      responsible and not to be irresponsible. so we need to think on how
      to help those in the habit of homosexuality to overcome it and not
      to be silence or legalized abnormality. homosexuality is
      scientifically unproven, biologically abnormal, religious sinful,
      socially unacceptable, culturally rejected, wisely unprofitable to
      the self and the society, legally unlawful, logically incoherent,
      humanly pitiable. we should join hand to reject it and assist those
      in it to overcome it. peace to all men of good will.