Posted on Monday, January 14th, 2013 at 6:23 PM

By Adeola Adeyemo

Mariam Afolabi

On Saturday 29th December 2012,  Mariam Afolabi, a 19 year-old law student at Warwick University and CEO/Creative Director of upcoming fashion label, Mademoiselle Aglaia presented her new collection – Acanthus and Renaissance Art at a spectacular fashion show in Lagos. The event took place at the Ball Room, Oriental Hotel, Victoria Island.

Toyin Lawani, CEO of TiannahStyling and Creative Director of Elegante by TiannahStyling helped in creating and bringing her designs to life.

Speaking about her new collection, Mariam said she was inspired “by the ceiling of famous palaces like the palace de Versailles and paintings from artist like Leonardo da Vinci and others during the renaissance period.  The Acanthus plant has also inspired the embroidery style in the dresses I have designed to give it that baroque element’’.

Guest were entertained with performances by Wande Coal, D’Prince, Dammy Krane, ADDICTIONDuo and more. The event was hosted by Denrele and Naya.

The Black Carpet

Hosts & On Stage

Mariam Afolabi

The Runway

Performances

More Guests

Photo Credit: Ed Ace | Persnickety Media | MaestroMedia
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
Sponsored Content

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 59 Comments on “Upcoming Designer Mariam Afolabi of Mademoiselle Aglaia presents her New Collection coordinated by Tiannah Styling | Photos of Genevieve Nnaji, Denrele, D’Prince, Wande Coal & More at the Event”

Comments
    • Nice Anon January 14, 2013 at 6:34 PM

The photographer needs to be flogged.Terrible photos

• ebrufles January 14, 2013 at 6:36 PM

im not gonna lie im a bit jealous , im eighteen and this a dream of mine, good luck and honestly wish you all the best, you’ve really inspired me :)

• honey January 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM

dont worry dear,dreams do come true..!

• LIzzie's Daughter January 14, 2013 at 6:47 PM

Ma-mah looking sexy

• Maury January 14, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Was this a concert or collection show? Upcoming what you say? Career rethink maybe sweetie

• Monica January 15, 2013 at 7:33 AM

I think it was a fusion of both. Like the Music meets Runway concept :)

• dont mention January 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM

money is good n connection is every thing….i dont get the buzzz about this girl other than the fact that she had money to make this happen n used that money to invite those big names who showed. there r better designers out there looking for exposure but do not hav it. nways, goodjob for effort n i hope she improves….very soon too, she will use her money n connection to buy awards…..how do we expect to grow with things like dis….
      vikkyscreed.blogpsot.com

• Monica January 15, 2013 at 7:47 AM

but why is this your own headache though? money can only get you so far. Shebi time will tell if she is really going to be a success in the fashion arena….

look at someone like Tiffany Amber. Yes, she came from a wealthy family which would have given her a leg up initially but her true talent is what has taken her to where she is today with international stars wearing her pieces.

• Shorthairdontcare January 14, 2013 at 7:10 PM

D1′s wife, animal print overkill. Animal print gown, animal print shoes and bag. Anyway #fashionrulesaremeanttobebroken

• Sonia January 14, 2013 at 7:41 PM

event n clothes are beyond horrible

• Glam January 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Quite inspiring…

theglamfile.blogspot.com

• Yinka January 14, 2013 at 8:02 PM

THE PHOTOGRAPHER DIDN’T DO WELL, THINK HE’S NEW, AND WILL CATCH-UP SOON. I PRAY UNCLE DENRELE WON’T KILL ‘PERSON’ WITH HIS SHOES OH LOLZ. AND I CAN SEE MY GUY PAULO (THE WHITE GUY *THAT’S LIKE LIFTING A LADY*).

• jane January 14, 2013 at 8:19 PM

money is talking tho..her clothes are not that inspiring and really do not give me a renaissance vibe..kudos for starting a label in a big way but im not impressed by the clothes

• Janet January 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Wonderful collection! These are clothes that I woul actually purchase and wear! As for genevieve my darling she is looking radiant as always! The guests were dressed well thank God. I agree with you @NiceAnon the photographer was rubbish

• Nkiruka January 14, 2013 at 8:51 PM

The co-host @naya madu rocks………

• ib January 14, 2013 at 8:53 PM

the only person is saw in all of these is Denrele. Love that guy

• Ivy January 14, 2013 at 9:19 PM

For a 1st collection not bad, still room for improvement but hey this girl is 18 currently studying law ermmmm how many are actually putting pen to paper and making their dreams a reality!
      Chill out on the girl

• Peperempe January 14, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Nothing renaissance art about these clothes. Very dull and uninspiring. Looks more like a concert than a fashion show. The girl is young…she should train, go to fashion school, discover her aesthetic. Money, French-sounding brand names and liberal use of words like “Renaissance” & “Acanthus” will only get you so far….

• Anonymous January 15, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I agree! Please I don’t know which Versailles her she went to, because I see no connection. Focus on law my dear. Fashion isn’t everyone’s calling. For every item I asked myself, would I actually wear this. I could only answer yes for one item. She tried with the male clothing sha.

• Respon January 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM

I’m I noticing a colour change on Genevieve’s face and neck?? Pls Oh! please Genny hope you don’t finally give in into the unformidable urge

• Monica January 15, 2013 at 7:50 AM

no. I dont think she is. Its just the poor photography.

• goldfinch January 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM

Very inspiring but i still can”t identify the designer from the pics above.
      or was the launch done in absentia?

• ZM January 14, 2013 at 10:31 PM

a few hits, lots of misses. No boo.

• yoyo January 14, 2013 at 10:36 PM

i’m lost.. which picture has the 19yr old designer??

• Winny January 14, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Hmmmmmm speechless designer koo designer nii

• Jd January 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM

Her pop is spankingly rich, he is the Sifax guy “Taiwo afolabi” . Good to know at her age she’s doing something productive unlike other rich kids. She needs to improve tho, she’s got a long way to go. The show is just some too much money spending!!!

• Miss_Mella January 14, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I really want to say something nice about this collection but I can’t find any words and need to, so I will just stop and move on.

• SellaT January 14, 2013 at 11:29 PM

• nina onita January 14, 2013 at 11:30 PM

my mom once said, lawyers are the most creative people…( they can creatively lie jk). Anyways its just weird to me that most of these designers in naija study some form of law.. But jokes aside her designs are fresh and looks promising.

• Monica January 15, 2013 at 7:49 AM

an extremely nonsensical comment. and yes, I am a lawyer.

• Let them say January 14, 2013 at 11:49 PM

And the only person I saw on this page is Genny.

• Im Just Saying January 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM

when its nigeria,its classy,elegante,couture,well put together,well done…………but ghana,hmm all over the plce,trashy and ridiculous….we need to get it together and get up there,and yes im a ghanaian before u judge(not that i care anyway),im proud of my country but it is what it is!!! is about that daamn time.

• mama January 15, 2013 at 3:43 PM

tcheww! bella ghana or chale ghana should be where you should be writing this. you are on d wrong website.

• meeT January 15, 2013 at 2:07 AM

I take better pictures with my phone and I don’t call myself a professional photographer.

• Misskhadiva January 15, 2013 at 3:49 AM

I love everything. so much negative comments…She is 19, imagine what she will come out with at 25. She is good in my book, May God crown your effort with success.

• Berry Dakara formerly Choco-Latte January 15, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Not bad… not great, but not bad.

berrydakara.blogspot.com

• Asgrl January 15, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Lol some should turn this pic into a gif. http://bellanaija.cdn.premiumhost.com.ng/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/tt191.jpg That’s the expresssion i had on my face when i saw this hot ass mess. How can anyone call this a cohesive collection. The tailoring is atrocious! I’m sorry when i see toyin lawani’s name associated with anything, i don’t think or expect anything fashion forward. The styling on this was horrible. What was with the lopsided buns and the hangover pony tails? Was that supposed to be avant garde? The sophisticated updos on some of the models looked much better.

I’ve got nothing great to say about the choice of materials or the tailoring. Flimsy chiffon, leather/pleather in nigeria? Uneven hems, puckering seams, leaving ironing lines on mens pants and shirts for a show? For the love of god stop! All the money spent on putting on this show should be invested in going to fashion school for a bit after law school. I bet no one bought clothes after this show.

Get a good Nigerian designer as a mentor too. For young designers, I love the work of Toju Foyeh and April by Kunbi.

I’m honestly not trying to be mean, but seriously BellaNaija you need to get editorial about what gets posted on here as fashion or art! You’ve designated yourself as a trusted webzine authority on fashion and art. Posts like this dilute your brand. I understand that you are trying to stay out of the business of “being mean”, however somewhere along the pipeline someone has to be honest and give some constructive feedback. Unless you all at BN actually secretly enjoy the mean comments that come from posts like this.

Yes I’m cranky this morning. Post my comment oh!

• Monica January 15, 2013 at 11:47 AM

dang….you do not mince your words at all…but this is life o….if you put yourself out there, you have to expect feedback good or bad…..

she is blessed to have a family to support her and help her to live out her dream. WHo wouldnt want to be in that position?

clearly, she needs to refine things a bit more but there is some hope in the pieces on display :)

this makes me draw a comparison with Clan, another label birthed by young ladies. In this case these young ladies are Deola Sagoe’s daughters and have clearly benefited from their mothers wealth of experience in the fashion arena.

Its a sad fact in life but money really does make the world go around. If you do not have financial backing, you are less likely to be able to live out your dream. Especially in a country like Nigeria….if you live in a one bed shack somewhere in lagos which you share with your entire family, even if you are potentially the next Yves Saint Lauren, aint nobody gonna discover you or give you that much needed break…..

but on the other had, if you have financial backing + not that much raw talent you will at least get the break you need.

the winning combo is financial backing + raw talent!

• Tunmi January 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM

This is one of the best constructive criticisms I have read ob BN.

• MamaDMama January 15, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Gbam! seconded! Here! Here! I concur!! Poko!

• ada January 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM

First, the hair styles of the models were terrible! secondly, why were most of the female guest dressed as f they were going for a party? I tire sha but kudos to the young label behind the label.

• Amh January 15, 2013 at 10:14 AM

it’s amazing how we hate people who are trying to make progress and carve out a niche for themselves in this country. While I don’t rule out constructive criticism, people saying stuff like the wealth of her parents and stuff is just lame-ass pedestrian talk. The young designer has taken a bold step to pursue her dreams, if you’re jealous just keep your comments to yourself!! Deola Sagoe’s dad is wealthy too FYI…but she’s a world class designer. This young designer will get better cos she has the courage to pursue and dreams and this show proves she’s a hardworker. Way to go Marian ‘The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams’ -Eleanor Roosevelt-

• impervious January 15, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Thank you!!!! What were we all doing when we were her age? Even if you don’t like the clothes, it takes a lot of work to design, sew and present a show at this level.

• Gold January 15, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Their hair style is a carbon copy of model MMR2
      2ndly, none of these clothes is appealing to me

• damola January 15, 2013 at 1:19 PM

y’all giving negative comments , you dnt know you helping her set her ladder to greatness, keep insulting her , so she can get better.

• Jaebee January 15, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Mariam! I am so proud of you girl! Amazing designs!!#TeamAglaia

• oddy January 15, 2013 at 2:24 PM

denrele and this his pose of holding one leg………

• Chi January 15, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Hmmmm….. My mum always said “If I have nothing nice to say”, I shouldn’t say anything. So here goes……….SILENCE.

• Purpleicious Babe January 15, 2013 at 6:01 PM

is she d lady in the sparkly ivory dress?? BN didnt put a name to the pic.

• ihy January 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM

i’m the only one more drawn to the chandelier than the clothes

• MamaDMama January 15, 2013 at 6:16 PM

LOOOOL at BellaGhana and Chale Ghana…. she definately need to find that site though!! GTFOH with that this is how we do in ghana talk… do we look like we care?

• NOH8 January 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM

If you have nothing positive/constructive to say then exit stage left. Im sure some of you naysayers are still selling epa and boli on the side of the road or doing absolutely nothing with your life. Myriam is doing something positive so encourage it!!. You’re entitled to not like the designs but to trash her efforts is completely absurd and unecessary.

• Gimmer January 16, 2013 at 5:53 AM

She should have started her own charity or something jare…abi what’s all these ke?

• wakapass January 16, 2013 at 9:14 AM

All the best dearie! but if she is 19, she looks older than her age sha (” “)

• BIBI January 17, 2013 at 1:07 AM

shoutout 2my man’s sis Naya dat hosted d event wiv Derele …….u lok stunning hun. reping d Madus brap! brap!

• goke January 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM

Omg…Nigerians na una biko was at the show and if I may say its one of the best shows I have ever encountered ..he things I saw on that runway I have never seen it before..welldone girl

• Gyann January 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Genevieve oooooooh. This woman is stylish!! And she’s gotten the secret to exude confidence.

• Meredith January 25, 2013 at 4:20 AM

Is Denrele wearing a pair of high heeled boots? Funny, he really looks good and I’m guessing he was hilarious that day. A couple of friends were at d event and they told me Derele was the life of that show.

• yenika yvonne kiven February 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM

genny looks gorgeous as usual. love it dearie