Lagos State Government to Introduce Cable Cars for Mass Transportation

To alleviate the problems of mass transportation faced by residents of Lagos, the state government in partnership with a cable car company, Ropeways Transport Limited, is set to launch a cable car mass urban transit system.

According to Tribune, the Lagos Metropolitan Area Transport Authority (LAMATA) and Ropeways Transport Limited have signed a 30-year Franchise Agreement to this effect.

Under the terms of the agreement, Ropeways Transport will this November begin the construction of towers, stations and connecting network cables along various routes covered in the first phase of the project, namely, Ijora–Iddo, Iddo–Adeniji, Apapa–Oluwole, Oluwole–Adeniji, Adeniji–Obalende, Obalende–Falomo, and Falomo–Victoria Island. The project is expected to be fully completed and commissioned by early 2015.

The Chief Executive Officer of Ropeways Transport Limited, Dapo Olumide told Tribune that “the Lagos cable car transit system would provide an alternative means of mass transportation in the city and it will help ease the current transportation hassles in Lagos and help restore dignity to commuting because the current situation hampers economic development within the city and negatively impacts the quality of life of its residents”.

Are you excited about this news? Is this a laudable development?

76 Comments on Lagos State Government to Introduce Cable Cars for Mass Transportation
  • John February 3, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Another white elephant project. Let’s get the roads fixed first.

• Ready February 4, 2013 at 9:13 am

White elephant project? Do you just wanna use big words? Are you sure its cost will exceed its usefulness? This is Lagos. The city projected to be the largest in the world in a few decades. Every means of transportation is necessary! Now, will successive administrations maintain it? Only time will tell, but I’d bet it’s people like you who kicked against the introduction of BRTs and the blossoming rail and jetty transport systems. Biko, let him work. Fashola has proven to be serious about Lagos’ problems. E je ko sise.

• briggs February 5, 2013 at 2:36 pm

As usual the airheads are always the first ones to comment on what they dont know

• intheoverseas February 3, 2013 at 4:14 pm

haha! Great stuff but trust lagosions to come up with issues of height lol On another note, what if “nepa takes light” mid air? haha

• wendy February 4, 2013 at 9:41 am

am telling you!! these people just don’t get it…..NEPA is the number one issue impeding growth in Nigeria!!Amongst other things though….. abeg if NEPA no work, trains oh, cable cars oh, trams oh…none of them will function. Or have we not heard of power outages at airports leaving the airplane to roam around in the air for hours before they can land?? Abeg if Fashola wants to solve transportation problem without creating another source of energy to power this project, then the best bet is for him to go find a way to make “Ofe” (teleportation jazz)available to the masses…end of story

• omegie February 3, 2013 at 4:15 pm

this picture doesn’t depict the type of cable cars being proposed…..thumbs up to lagos state govt. much better than the keke napep scattered all over abuja.

• izzy February 3, 2013 at 4:21 pm

GOD FORBID! In a country where u live by the special grace of God and by chance, on the roads and in the air, u want to add cable cars?, that wont be maintained, that someone will chop the servicing fee, that if anything should happens no one will be held accountable and after a few months pple forget and chuck it up to God’s will?. I.Just.Cant.

• Posh February 3, 2013 at 5:29 pm

Very very well said my dear! You spoke my mind, need I say more?

• wow February 3, 2013 at 4:22 pm

doesn’t it work on electricity??????

• WORD February 3, 2013 at 7:06 pm

thank you i was just saying that ..stabilize electricity oooo that is the first step they need to take to better nigeria. first big bold step but they wont

• Baba T aka T Baba February 3, 2013 at 4:23 pm

O_O … No good roads but Cable Cars… LOL
    I appreciate the young people in those offices (i.e My guy Dot) trying to find ways to cut down on the Lagos traffic but this is not it. Try again please.

• Sandra February 3, 2013 at 4:33 pm

What happened to the eko rail project?

• Posh February 3, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Exactly!! rather than being practical by re-building, revamping, and maintaining the already existing railway in Lagos State, atleast that one runs on land and causes less accidents, they are busy thinking of white elephant project. If they are indirectly looking for an opportunity to gobble money let them say and not trying to use the brain of ppl!
      Cable cars indeed!! #God is watching all of you

• nene February 3, 2013 at 4:55 pm

ahhh thy want to kill people. if i was poor, i’d rather swim third mainland bride than to “fly” in this cable car.

• Princess February 3, 2013 at 5:31 pm

When would this our government have abit of sense…. Uve not finished the roads, hvnt finished the so called rail and nw the cable car project…! I mean who are we kidding!! Just another family contract and money making scheme.. Rubbish!!

• neon February 3, 2013 at 5:41 pm

so wait, on top of all the things i have to worry about when driving in lagos, okada, trucks with no brakes, danfo, BRT, LASTMA, FRSC, police. people crossing the express right under a pedestrian bridge etc. i NOW have to also worry about the chances of a cable car falling atop my head/car… *sigh*

• nimavibes February 3, 2013 at 5:51 pm

seriously uncle fashola i thought u had more brains than all these other governors, you should build a train station before you embark on this cable car, especially when you dont have 24/hr electricity, think twice ooo , this must be a faux pau on your side, so i will just ignore it for now.

• faith February 3, 2013 at 5:56 pm

None ur so funny..lol….

• faith February 3, 2013 at 5:57 pm

Nene *

• Missbrown15 February 3, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Its a good initiative but i think introducing trams would have been a better idea.

• Ides of March February 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Exactly! Trams not cable cars. How fast can these things go really? Will they get you to work on time? Do they even carry out surveys to get ‘customer’ feedback? Sheesh!

• Miss Posh February 3, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Emi ati e ko (not me and you)!!!! Being in one of those things is frightening.

• shanday February 3, 2013 at 6:04 pm

This cable car is not going to work. A country where there is no proper safety and rescue service/ maintenance culture in place. It looks very scary. Moreover, cable cars are used mostly in ski resorts not for everyday transportation. It does not make any sense to me. Why not build more bridges, improve the condition of roads, construct new roads. I totally agree wuth you nene, this new project is going to do more harm than good in my own opinion.

• J February 3, 2013 at 6:19 pm

I wish the Lagos State Government would focus more on building the railway system because that would have been the only solution tackle traffic issues in Lagos. This cable cars won’t work.

• J February 3, 2013 at 6:20 pm

* Solution to tackle the traffic issues in Lagos.*

• Rola February 3, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I do apreciate the work of LASG but on this project i do not support.
    LASG is yet to finish the 10 lane( rail& car 0n badagry expressway, the lekki expansion is going on forever with lagosians having to pay for that. This is another franchise project of 30yrs; is this one of the many channels to keep your share of the national cake when u exit office in 2015?

• Mam February 3, 2013 at 6:23 pm

Tufia!!! We can’t be used as an experiment for such a project with the level of corruption in Naija airlines, road constructions and even the so called BRT… Hanging in the air isn’t our portion Biko…

• i no send February 3, 2013 at 6:27 pm

You are on ur own on this one Mr fashola…and yeah it reeks of White elephant …..repair the roads and rail lines sir

• Wale February 3, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Only in Naija. I can’t wait to see this happen…all the things that can go wrong; boko haram cutting the cables on one end

• WORD February 3, 2013 at 7:09 pm

lmaooo boko haram cutting em ..its true sha

• sassycassie February 3, 2013 at 9:57 pm

lol at boko haram curring the cables.lol

• worried February 4, 2013 at 6:42 am

ha, so funny but scary

• Monica February 5, 2013 at 12:33 pm

thank you for giving these olori burukus the idea! hissssss

• uniqueaffairz February 3, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I had this dream for Lagos State…..so happy its gonna be a reality

• B February 3, 2013 at 8:02 pm

Lmaooooo it’s scary in developed cities, in Lagos? No chanceeeee only if uncle Fash will use it every day :-)

• SS February 3, 2013 at 8:11 pm

i dont see this working,CABLE cars that has been neglected in other western country……..SMH

• Ides of March February 3, 2013 at 8:14 pm

It’s time to follow the channels to stop these ‘white elephant’ projects from seeing the light of day, after all, we are in a democracy aren’t we?

• Nkan be February 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Yeeeeeeeee.lwkmd!

• Aibee February 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm

I totally agree with everyone’s comment. this is just another white elephant project designed to keep Fashola and his affiliates in Government money for another 30years. If you dig dip enough, you’ll find a contract between a front and the company for the paymen of facilitation fees/royalties.
    See the ridiculous routes covered sef – Adeniji to Obalende, Ijora – Iddo, Obalende to Victoria Island. All trekable distances. If they were really serious, make it from Ikorodu to Victoria Island, or Epe to Ijora.
    Mr. Fashola, fix the roads, build a 4th and 5th mainlan bridge, provide cheaper, affordable water transportation – not that N600 lekki to ikorodu boat, fix the rails. as for this cable car business, it is not meant for mass transportation – unless, of course, if you didn’t really mean for the masses’ use and only want it for your fellow big men.

• smh February 3, 2013 at 10:16 pm

cable cars that will soon be for hawking goods. the roads are bad, electricity no good, water ‘sef’ is now for dumping refuge and “shit”. they should better think of a better way to invest our money.

• style@atl.com February 3, 2013 at 10:24 pm

Aibee you said it all, may they read and listen.Cable cars for ski resorts for lagos transport???common, if America and the Europe have not used it what make u think u hv 10 heads better than them to make this work. Prove it by fxing the power problem,make it a no power cut state,then u can run those cable cars or isn’t it permanent electricity you need to run’em!

• Fagbola kemi February 3, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Wat abt d high tension wire, wont d passengers shock and gan paaa

• HABBA February 3, 2013 at 11:54 pm

dey have not fixed the roads they want to be doing cable cars! nawwa for nigeria oo! go and fix 3rd main land bridge first! Hire some german contractors to build good bridges and betta road for lagos first.

• GreenDiamond February 4, 2013 at 12:05 am

I think it a great idea and I trust fashola to see it through..but am concern is with electricity but traffic will be reduced. I hope it a good company 30years contract way way they can see it through well this looks like a done deal! 2015!!.. U guys should support every effort but I don’t blame u guys they have disappointed too many times

• Fausia February 4, 2013 at 12:06 am

This is just funny. I have not been brave enough to enter cable car in London talk less of Nigeria for that matter. BTW I am not putting my country down, I’m just saying.
    They should concentrate on the important things. For now and possibly forever I will be sticking to the road.

• Tasha Braig February 4, 2013 at 4:25 am

OmG! I almost pee’d myself reading some of the comments. Dumbest idea ever! Fix the roads, get the electricity and water constant, feed the people. Otherwise we’ll be reading:

BREAKING NEWS: 6 cable cars just crashed in Lagos. Nigerian officials are not sure how the mishap came about…..

• Lili February 4, 2013 at 5:36 am

imagine being on the cable car on your way to work and then them take light. Gen dey but no fuel, lol…..Good luck

• zzzzz February 4, 2013 at 7:52 am

I think an inter city tram would be better than a cable car

• PH Boy February 4, 2013 at 8:19 am

Please Please guys give Lagos govt a chance. It is a very brilliant initiative especially for brain dead ducks. These kind of ideas only come forth from long hours of smoking pot. Whosoever that thought this up has to be on drugs. No be only cable car na subway train.

• Ready February 4, 2013 at 9:31 am

But do you guys really think this thing would be premised on PHCN light? Really, how many of you have light go off in your corporate offices? And the cable cars are only for short distances, because think of it, sometimes traffic on these really short routes are horrendous…a 10 min journey could become an hr by car. Look, am I saying cable cars are the best idea? No. Maybe increased rail networks are better, or maybe trams are better, but the trams I know require expansion of roads. If BN publishes that the state govt is breaking homes and shops to lay ground for trams, another noise will start. I’m just saying that rather than knee-jerk reactions, and outright rude comments from some of us which at this point is becoming typical of Lagosians and Nigerians, let us consider it thoroughly first.

• Dracula February 4, 2013 at 9:47 am

Please, Armed Robbers go dey on the cable?.What if tyre leak. How dem go Vulcanize the thing na. Hahaha My country o, must be Hollywood movie scene.

• lovelyn February 4, 2013 at 9:53 am

In my opinion I think its a gd initiative, same has bn embrkd on in ph, so lagos is nt alone in dis. This cable cars would be powered independently not via PHCN, the lane it wld pass thru on air wld be dedicated to it, whch means no vehicle wld pass underneath where ds cable cars wld pass. My concern is ow d agberos wld collect deir monies! Kai bad mkt…

• Miss Posh February 4, 2013 at 12:21 pm

All these comments!!! LMAO!!!!

• jitterbug February 4, 2013 at 12:43 pm

C’m on guys, let’s give BRF some credit. Somehow, I don’t think he’d be part of a project of this magnitude if it hasn’t been well thought out. One thing is for sure, Lagosians have questions, for example, does it run on PHCN? Can it be managed knowing our bad maintenance culture? Lagos state better have answers for us.

• Sanchoo February 4, 2013 at 1:13 pm

These comments are funny, but I feel this is fantastic. Fair enough there are still problems that are unsolved, but I am happy with this new solution to these problem. A lot of people are worried about electricity. I would be surprised if a project of this magnitude would be only run by Electricity. May we all dey happy sey this thing don come. Exciting times ahead.

• whiteking February 4, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Na true talk @ jitterbug. We kill things before they see the light of day. Make we even see how dey wan take do am! At least there are other means of transportation, if you know wan enter, no be by force.

• whiteking February 4, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Fair enough, Lagos state has is own challenges… lack of good roads, light issues even transportation wahala. Does it mean we should stop trying to fix the problem. why do most of you still get up in the mornings? Despite all the personal challenges you face in your private lives. Have faith Brother… this will work where others fail. Something NEW does not Mean something BAD!

• BlackMagic babe February 4, 2013 at 2:06 pm

Laughing hard with tears in my eyez….”What if Boko Haram cut the end of the cable??????

• huh? February 4, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Will the cable cars have space for “standing”? Because I know naija can do without that.

• jitterbug February 4, 2013 at 6:06 pm

• passerby February 4, 2013 at 11:04 pm

all the comments gat me laughing out really loud…OMG…. I LOVE BELLANAIJA. did anyone mention the rope cutting and d car+passengers falling inside shitty water? #coversface. cant imagine

• Graco February 5, 2013 at 12:02 pm

It’s for tourists and other people who aren’t in touch with reality to have a birds eye view of all the rubbish happening beneath them (while sticking their noses up). Na wa.

• Monica February 5, 2013 at 12:34 pm

which tourist do we have please?

• Doubtingthomas February 5, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Haba! my people, see how all of you are yabbing the project before it is even started. Instead of focusing on all the negatives let us look at the things that this can actually do for us. I don’t know about you, but me, I am tired of waiting for BRT for how many hours everyday. Especially since they banned okada, I will now be in traffic for like 3 hours. Please let us look at the reality surrounding us. This crazy traffic is ridiculous. I am happy that at least they are doing something to help us.

• Monica February 5, 2013 at 12:41 pm

This is a great idea in theory. but Omo, I like my life. its God’s grace that keeps me alive in this mental city (I commute from Ikorudu to the island by public transport everyday) and i cant be tempting fate by now entering one flying kini that may or may not have been serviced as planned/that may or may not be overloaded with people, that may or may not have enough electricity to power it across that may or may not be targeted by those bastard Boko…..

• Doubtingthomas February 5, 2013 at 7:32 pm

@ monica, i feel you… its very difficult to see how this will work in actuality. But i am all for anything that will make my life better. At the end of the day, its not as if they don’t have it in naija already. It works in Obudu and has been working fine for a long time with no accidents. Let’s wait for more info sha.. cos I know they cannot do this type of thing without information coming through

• Cima February 5, 2013 at 9:43 pm

O my, Nigerians are toooooo funny. I have just been laughing. My own fear is the thing falling on a car, shikena, or even inside water. Anyways i de beg, make them try put rails, i de beg.

I have only seen this used on Tourist sites. Biko nu

• NYchic February 9, 2013 at 6:21 am

Exactly. I have not seen cable cars used as a mass transit alternative. Trams is a better idea, or best still, follow through with the commuter trains project that was started not too long ago (but abandoned now??)

• fantatunz March 11, 2013 at 9:58 pm

This is a very good idea. If we keep on looking at f undone, and nothing would be done in Lagos. D population is much and it is difficult to tackle. Building of d 8lane is a program. The cable car is a good idea but am scared of the maintaining it. Everything has disadvantages but d situation we find ourselves doesn’t mean we should not move ahead. The cable car speaks well of Lagos. Internationally, Lagos is more than the way we see it here. We should allow BRF to do what he wants. We need to move ahead nd we should not let current situation affect future development. To me, it’s a welcome development.

• Abmumin March 22, 2013 at 6:33 am

I c no reason 4 al dis noise’ wen brt started a lane wz provided 4 it’ xo u dumb ass don’t tink doz cable cars wil run on p.h.c.n. As 4 acident hw many av u heard of in d world @ large? Dumb ass reason well cos dis is 21st century..B.R.F ride on EKO ONI BAJE O

• Abmumin March 22, 2013 at 6:43 am

Some even said build 4th, 5th mainland bridge, den u must b a learner n doz of tinkin abt boko haram lemme rmind u d8 evry mortal must die’ doz victims of dana plane crash @ iju did not bargain 4 such death, wz d8 boko haram too? Pple in theiq house where they feel they are safe frm all acidents died d8 very day xo fellas give new inovations chance n not critisize wat u aven’t experiment, i blive @ d end of d project u wil b d 1st to apreciate B.R.F EKO ONI BAJE O’ O BAJE TI.

• Cee June 15, 2014 at 3:12 am

Interesting comments and honest concerns. Well as for Nepa. You may have heard of back up generators…perhaps!!! You may not have heard of shock detection system and fibre optic cables – if there is an attempt on the high “I repeat high tension cable” – the instrumentation system will set off an alarm. Clearly, no one in his rightful mind will put up a project with such magnitude without proper engineering.

It’s usually typical to resist change but how would change occur if u don’t give change a chance. Nothing goes for nothing clearly, if someone is innovative and the invention works hey…..why should benefits for 30 years not accrue. Let’s be positive. I think projects like the 3 and 4 th mainland Project are capital project for the Federal Government not Lagos State.

As for the terrorist factor, it can not be entirely avoided but a robust security system needs to be implemented. If you feel uncomfortable about it don’t ride it ! Besides let’s see the completed Project first.