When a man wiser than me submitted that sometimes the chains that keep us from being free are more mental than physical, it rang a bell, but those words cannot ring truer than now.

What will our disposition be, if we knew that we will succeed if only we tried? What will it be if we realized that we are more talented, better informed and work harder than many millionaires out there? Can you imagine what your disposition will be if you realize that a major reason why you are nowhere near living your dreams is your fears?

If I ask how many people can prepare better fried rice and chicken than Mr Biggs or Tantalizer, one million and one ladies would swear with their right hands that they can; ask how many people sew better shirts than Armani and a million young fashion designers would come forward. I can guarantee that most of them are not lying. So the million dollar question is, why are you still dependent on a salary to survive? Or why would you still be looking a job when you have skills that can make you a millionaire in a matter of months.

Out there today in our beloved country are men and women, young and old who can supply products and services far better than what the regular market can offer; some of them can even afford to offer them at half the accepted market price and still make good profit but many of these are still struggling with their finances- Yes, they have raw gold in their possession, and therefore have no business with poverty yet they are engulfed neck deep in poverty. We can do it, but we are afraid of starting out. Afraid of failing, afraid of the unknown and worst of all many are afraid of losing someone else’s money.

After Steve Jobs dropped out of college, he still stayed around trying his hands on a couple of things while trying to figure out his next move. Eventually he met and decided to partner with Steve Wozniak who had dreams similar to his and together the nerds began making computers. After a couple of products had appeared on their tables, they began to realize that this was way beyond a sphere of business existence where they have to walk door-to-door marketing their products, they began looking for partnerships that will bring them to business limelight and build sustainable systems. At this time, Mike Markkula was already retired but the boys knew he has the capacity to get them into partnerships that would yield the financial capital they needed to make their dreams reality. Eventually they were able to successfully convince the retired business mogul of the profit potential of the products they made and in a couple of months the few billions they needed in funding was in their hands and Apple was born.

Imagine for a second what would have happened if Steve Jobs had held unto his product, trying to claim independence and proving to everybody that he needs nobody to succeed. Your guess is as good as mine; he probably would have died clenching it unto his side without anybody hearing about it.

Can you make better shoes than Louise Vuitton, or you can do good laundry or have a scarce and marketable skill, do you have a flyable concept? Then it is time to learn how to sell not just your product or service but yourself to your potential investors. No matter how juicy the financial potentials of a business may be, nobody will blink if your best shot at selling can’t persuade your illiterate grandma.
Start from somewhere. People don’t throw monies into imaginary business ventures. Everyone wants to see results and will begin believing you when they see one. Then you can begin to convince all around you.

Take it up a little bit, write proposals, make presentations, request to meet with potential partners, apply to the Tony Elumelu foundation for a VC, apply for the YOUwin program, fight, fight, fight and keep fighting.

Be bold and make specific logical business requests and one day the financial capital you need will not only be in your hands but the partnership that yielded it.

Photo Credit: blacklikemoi.com

_______________________________________________________________________________
Ifeanyi J. Igbokwe is a seasoned writer, motivational speaker, consultant and an action coach with special interest with personal and corporate growth and effectiveness. Twitter: @igbokwe_ifeanyi E: ifeanyi.igbokwe@gmail.com

32 Comments on Elevate U with Ifeanyi: Write Proposals, Make Presentations! Stop Being a Sleeping Giant & Start from Somewhere
  • Fashion Rehab October 2, 2013 at 9:20 am

Lovely article, so much truth to it. Fear is what holds most people from achieving their dreams.

• Blossom October 2, 2013 at 7:05 pm

EVERYBODY is a ‘seasoned writer’ nowadays… NEXT!

• WhereIsYourSoul October 17, 2013 at 11:23 am

God help you…to see positively….what are you seasoned at…blossom?

• iwalewa October 2, 2013 at 9:21 am

hmmmmm.food for thought.

• July October 2, 2013 at 9:29 am

The fear of failure is a powerful thing that can keep even the most talented of people from striving for their dreams and achieving success. More than natural raw talent, resources, work ethic, contacts or any other ingredients needed to make it until one conquers their fears one is destined to not go anywhere.

• rootwoo.com October 2, 2013 at 9:48 am

u are very right. i grew up in an environment where almost everybody talks abt u graduating frm d univ. then get a govt job where u re sure of pension after retirement nd so on. But i jst knw dat i was bigger than being an employee, i took responsibility for my life, cast away my fears. Here i am a co founder of a social networking site(rootwoo.com) and by God’s grace a $1M seed funding frm a foreign VC wil soon be signed and even more. Now i ‘m happy

• olufunmi October 2, 2013 at 9:51 am

This is a BIG FACT!Tnx 4 d encouragemnt

• Gistyinka Blog October 2, 2013 at 9:53 am

Very inspiring and motivation article for morning dew.. Thanks for having you BN Ifeanyi J. Igbokwe

• eji October 2, 2013 at 10:02 am

Great write up

• Bella October 2, 2013 at 10:32 am

I fear this article is talking to me sha! I rebuke the devil and his foolish fear, God bring me courage and wisdom to pursue my own future on my own terms, i declare myself my own boss, IJN AMEN

• my love October 2, 2013 at 10:56 am

Thanks Ifeanyi.

• Deedee October 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

Nice food for thought

• Kayla October 2, 2013 at 11:12 am

Great piece. it’s definitely true our fears hold us back.
    We really don’t need to be great to start, but we have to start in
    order to be great. Am highly inspired. visit:

• CoA October 2, 2013 at 11:45 am

Well said! Most of us get stuck in the planning, or
    dreaming of a project, without actually getting it done

• https://countingonaccounting.wordpress.com October 2, 2013 at 11:47 am

Well said! Most of us get stuck in the planning, or
    dreaming of a project, without actually getting anything done. As
    the nike slogan goes; JUST DO IT!

• Middy October 2, 2013 at 11:53 am

You just confirmed everything I have been struggling with
    recently! I really need to conquer my fears and move to the next
    level! Thank you for this awesome article!

• annybeke October 2, 2013 at 12:18 pm

This article is definitely for me…. I’ve being at a cross
    road for a long time now… trying to decide if i should move to
    the U.k for my Ms.c ( I’m under alot of pressure from my family to
    do so) or stay back in 9ja, manage my govt job and open a private
    business with my recently retired mom, groom it for a while b4 a
    venture out…. NOW a have my answer!…. Thanx BN

• jcsgrl October 2, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Take it up a little bit, write proposals, make presentations, request to meet with potential partners, apply to the Tony Elumelu foundation for a VC, apply for the YOUwin program, fight, fight, fight and keep fighting – This right here sums up what I tell Nigerian grads who come asking me for jobs. If you can write, begin to write for people. Do you know how many rich people who get million dollar contracts but can’t put a proposal together. Help them do presentations. Heck hold small events and do your own presentation. Use any platform you got and build it to what you want.
    Now unto the part about facing fears, that one is for ME. Kai, I really need to face them demons and do something. Itz well!

• jcsgrl October 2, 2013 at 1:07 pm

On a second note, how does the picture at the top of article have anything to do with this article? Just wondering shaa

• ijescorner October 2, 2013 at 1:42 pm

good article….it’s true that people don’t want to start
    because they are afraid to fail. But sometimes failure makes you
    stronger and then you will be better prepared for further
    challenges. I started a business which is not going exactly to
    plan…but I’m still glad I started.

• Hordunayor October 2, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Wow! This is really nice and inspiring!

• Ata Wewe October 2, 2013 at 4:06 pm

Oh Ifeanyi,God bless u a gazillion fold. You just spoke to me not words i wanted to hear,but words I and every other Nigerian youth should hear. Look at me here,struggling to enter “an oil company”,applying to all the oil companies in Nigeria,struggling for them to hear my plea for employment while I could actually make myself more useful. Of course i do not want to make the mistake my parents made by relying solely on employment which is causing them regrets at old age. With my undying passion for fashion coupled with a certificate in fashion merchandising, I could be on the road to greatness. This na correct food for thought. Maybe I should begin with the YouWin3 when application opens.God bless you again and may your steps and work of your hands be blessed.Amen!

• hilda October 2, 2013 at 4:10 pm

This is so true!..why wait for a 9-5 if you have skills. If you love cooking you can start a food ordering business. Something works out.

• http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/ October 3, 2013 at 1:35 am

It easier said than done but this article is so true. Withut good planning it is impossible to get anywhere.

• www.rootwoo.com October 3, 2013 at 6:55 am

i am so happy nd i mean it

• frances October 3, 2013 at 9:05 am

Very inspirational! Most times d answer to getting d wealth/fufillment we seek lies in our brain and not in d monthly salary.we just av to reach down and bring it out,no fears and ready to take d risks.thanks a lot for this.

imperfectlyperfect92.wordpress.com

• Aderonke October 3, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Well said Ifeanyi. Thank you

• the mane captain (natural hair & skincare) October 4, 2013 at 10:58 pm

great article! you can’t move forward if you don’tmake a
    move. i learned that winners are never afraid to make mistakes but
    losers are always afraid of making one that they don’t start
    anything. themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

• mujer casada October 5, 2013 at 2:08 am

Thanks Ifeanyi. You have hit the nail on the head. The fear
    of failure is indeed a serious paralytic agent. I am one of its
    victims. I think God sent you to me through your writeup
    today.

• Rox October 5, 2013 at 1:25 pm

well noted and will be taken into serious consideration.. thankx

• Lin November 1, 2013 at 1:13 am

thanks for encouraging me to start my dream blog