Elevate U With Ifeanyi: Impossible… Until It Is Done

That’s not possible’, ‘You must be joking’, ‘Nobody has ever done that before’, ‘Do you even have the foggiest holistic understanding of what you are talking about? Have you considered… it simply is not possible’ …

Until 1875, a thousand and one swimmers had cast their wide reaching gazes on the seemingly endless stretch of the English Channel and wished they would be the first to swim across it. Everybody else used boats to travel across this massive water body. There was record to be set but everybody seemed to have their eyes fixed only on the often challenging tides and other creatures that dangerously lurked beneath the water body.

A dexterous swimmer, Mathew Webb wasn’t an Olympic gold medalist, neither was he famous. But after carefully considering the possibility of being the first to swim through it, he actually set out with determination and became the first man to swim across the English Channel without any external support even in the scary face of so much difficulties. It wasn’t until he swam across it that everybody began to realize that they could have done it, had they tried. What was initially considered by everyone as impossible then has today become regular exercise to twenty year olds.

Don’t expect everyone to smile and shake your hands when you begin working hard towards your dream. Be sure that advisers will come your way telling you how you are going after the impossible. It wouldn’t even matter if they all thought it wasn’t possible. What matters is your resilience. Even much more is if all of your passion is put into making it a reality.

When Nelson Mandela began to kick against injustice, he wasn’t a lawyer he was more or less illiterate. He was a poor black boy trying to find his direction in life and kicking against the government openly wasn’t a thing that happened every Friday evening, so people that cared began to get afraid. ‘Have you lost your mind?’ ‘Are you the only one black South African?’ ‘Are you trying to say that of all South Africans, you are the only one who can confront the government?’ ‘Your own is too much sef’ I will leave you to imagine what would have happened if that was how far he could go before yielding to the discouragement of advisers.

When Martin Luther King was called upon to stand up on the behalf of the over 22 million black American people that were being treated like animals in a land that is theirs, something happened to him. Many friends and loved ones came to meet him; they were afraid for him. ‘You are already comfortable and do not lack anything’, ‘What is it that you are still looking for?’ ‘It is not possible to fight against the government‘ ‘You are fighting a lost battle’. It was near impossible and a long haul for he had to go to jail a couple of times, escaped a bomb blast, was stabbed and endured untold difficulties but eventually, he eventually got the freedom he wanted.

Do not let anyone, no matter who they may be, keep you from achieving your goals just because they thought it was impossible. Those same people will blame you tomorrow for not doing nothing. They will be the first to tell the world how lazy and unwilling you are to take responsibility and rule your destiny. You can be sure of one thing– failure has no relative, not even one.

When the Wright brothers began to get curious about building a machine that would fly both humans and goods, they didn’t look any different from jokers. They were not educated, neither did they look rich enough to fund the enormous amount of research the work would require, nor were they counted among the brightest of America’s Scientists; they weren’t even scientists either. Even the most informed of scientific minds have tried to build one and have failed over and again; as such when they announced that they would give the world a plane, they laughed them to scorn, it just wasn’t possible, don’t bother yourselves.

Eventually they started out, facing untold difficulties, challenges and financial constraints. And on that beautiful day in November 1903 after a protracted struggle, their labor finally paid off and they flew the first engine-propelled, pilot controlled flight. The same people who had mocked on and scorned and dubbed their effort a process in error suddenly turned around to celebrate their success and become a part of it.

Hang on some more. Don’t give up yet. The struggle may be overwhelming and the obstacles many. You may have found yourself in a position where you are beginning to doubt the sanctity of your very dream and the sincerity of the very bravery that made you start out in the first place, but I am here to tell you that it is always darkest before the dawn. Don’t wait to see another man accomplish a dream you have nurtured before you believe it is possible. And no matter how hard it may get, never allow yourself forget that the soothing comfort of success is far better than the pangs of regrets that accompany ‘I wish I had tried.’

Photo Credit: rollingout.com

_______________________________________________________________________________
Ifeanyi J. Igbokwe is a seasoned writer, motivational speaker, consultant and an action coach with special interest with personal and corporate growth and effectiveness. Twitter: @igbokwe_ifeanyi E: ifeanyi.igbokwe@gmail.com

26 Comments on Elevate U With Ifeanyi: Impossible… Until It Is Done
  • Abiola October 24, 2013 at 9:12 am

Thanks

• laide October 24, 2013 at 9:15 am

a very good way to start the morning..that was motivational!

• Hollynolly October 24, 2013 at 9:19 am

Nice write up! All things are possible to those who believe.

hollynolly.blogspot.co.uk

• Thankyou October 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

Thank you Ifeanyi, you have inspired me this morning, I have been going through a project in my head that I want to implement and all doubt has been running through my mind, you know what I am going to get up and do it. God speaks to man in several ways, this is one of them! I am going to take the hull by the horn and by his grace will succeed IJMN. Amen. Thank you so much, Oya it’s time to work!

• Thankyou October 24, 2013 at 9:22 am

*hull/bull

• nana October 24, 2013 at 9:34 am

We need articles like this every week especially on Mondays to ignite our passion for work and excellence.

• Missy Y October 24, 2013 at 9:34 am

That was me thinking that was Ifeanyi in that picture. Nice write up, I must say

• Iyke October 24, 2013 at 9:42 am

Few years ago, on this same street of Lagos, I looked in the mirror and hated what I saw. Not to mention I hated where my life was headed. Instead of crying about it,hating or standing still, I decided to make changes. My life’s transformation is only part of the proof that nothing works like WORK. Good things happen when you put max effort into all parts of your life…. Now my goals are even more lofty. My life has never been more balanced. It stars with a healthy mind (knowledge/ application of knowledge) and healthy body…then the rest follows. I am really thankful to have mentors in my life who taught me not to waste valuable time with pettiness and hating others but to focus on becoming a better version of myself. They told me that successful men don’t waste time pointing fingers… Stones are usually caste upwards, not from above.
    Folks, the truth is that being your BEST self should never be an option to you……rather, a life style…a committed choice…Every morning, wake up, show up…fill the moment with the fullness of your wholeness…live the breath and depth of the promise… And If you’re unhappy with a set or circumstances in your life, implement a plan to change it. Take action! Let’s for once, live to live a life that fulfills the promise of our creation…Let’s choose to be free…boundless and infinite in our quest… Our pursuit to live and love brilliantly, completely…as one (Martin Luther King et al) who walked into the next life…without regret!
    I think because I am!!!! Let’s figure this thing out people!!!

• Missy Y October 24, 2013 at 11:51 am

Why is the like, to press, off to complete my business plan now. Thanks

• frances October 24, 2013 at 9:46 am

This was truly inspirational.
    Indeed we shouldn’t gv up on our dreams.we will get there and make it.

imperfectlyperfect92.wordpress.com

• Abby October 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

Nice write up, off to continue with my project :)

• Theresa Omoronyia October 24, 2013 at 11:24 am

This is so true Joe, thanks for reminding us again that we are so much more capable than we realize. If we will hold on, be ready to make sacrifices, and endure we can make it. This is the assurance I have as I press on the FRSC to make our roads safer. I have heard all sorts of ‘advice’, but I am determined to continue because it is simply the right thing to do. Nigeria will not become great by some miracle or magic. If all of us would take the time and effort to insist on change, we will become great again.
    Thanks again Joe!

• Impeccable October 24, 2013 at 11:50 am

Amen amen. This is true.

impeccablegentleman.com/impeccable/2013/8/28/i-have-a-dream

• Ekwitosi October 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm

Ifeanyi thanks! I really needed to read something like this! I have been out of work for the last six months due to company reorganization. I keep telling myself that I am very good at what I do and after all these multiple degrees I will still land in a good place and good compensation. But sometimes doubt sets in and I have gone to tough and challenging interviews for really great positions and guess what all these places tapping me are better than where I worked and the jobs would have been a promotion in both position and compensation wise. So I have to say to myself that if I wasn’t that good they would not be tapping me. And the most challenging thing is still believing in myself and waiting! I must say this week has been the most challenging of them all I am almost about to take anything that comes my way without thinking! Even the contract recruiters are dry at the moment. Please my BN brethren pray for me that something comes along soon because the bills are piling up!

• Mz Socially Awkward... October 24, 2013 at 3:15 pm

I’ve been laid off before and 5 months between being let go
      and getting a new job was one of the darkest hours of my life.
      Continue to look upwards/onwards and not around or down, keep
      tapping everyone you know for information about opportunities they
      may know about, review your skills to see how adaptable they are to
      different roles and DON’T STOP making your requests known to God. I
      know the feelings of self-doubt and frustrations that set in very
      easily but your story isn’t done yet and by His Grace you’ll be
      looking back at this experience from a better place soon enough,
      using it as a testimony to lift up someone else.

• Ekwitosi October 24, 2013 at 4:09 pm

@ Mz Socially Awkward and Laury. I keep telling myself that this is process that will eventually teach me something great! I will keep you posted!

• Laury October 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Ekwitosi, u will find something soonest. May God grant u all the favour u need IJN

• Grace E October 24, 2013 at 4:00 pm

eii BN where did you find that guy in the picture?chale..whoever does not believe in GOD is deceiving him/herself..LOL jk
    I didnt even read the article…the picture has given enough motivation..whatever u spoke about..

• 2xboo October 27, 2013 at 3:49 am

@Grace E, My Ghanaian sisteh…..fine guy in picture is most probably a model pix grabbed randomly from the web kwa…….lol

• Grace E October 31, 2013 at 3:13 am

LOL..I’m not Ghanaian…I’m a full blooded nigerian but
        medaase wai..u see as he dey bee paan ehn!

• thanks for this piece. couldn’t have come at a better time.I think the key is to keep going!
    themanecaptain.blogspot.ca

• Naveah October 25, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Awesome write up. BN – please try to use pictures of people who are not recognizable names/faces before yawa gas for una for using someone’s image without permission or giving credit to the photographer who took the picture. This is the third time I have given you guys a heads up. @ Grace E – the picture is of Hill Harper – an actor on so many films and TV shows most notably CSI NY. He is an author of four books, a Harvard law school graduate where he met and befriended President Barack Obama, an activist and political advocate. I think sey the bobo only dey like oyibo babes o or at the very least very very light skinned akata girls with what they call “good hair” over here but try your luck sha lwkmd him dey twitter – @hillharper. Sha, he is well known and respected guy.

• Grace E October 31, 2013 at 3:14 am

LOL thanks for his biography :)

• shirley .I October 26, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Reading this at a point when I decided “I’ll not pursue my dreams,perhaps I shld follow the path my parents hv laid for me” bcos it already seemd like I was being too dogged abt what I fore saw for my self. This is like reading sth that was written specially for me!

• tobee November 25, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Honestly ds is so timely fr me nd one can just get laid back by situations nd circumstances especially when one has tried a lot of times on projects nd nothin seemed to ve worked.the best is just to be resilient nd blive in oneself.I won’t give up now,not after conceiving anoda idea,with God on my side,I wil break forth