Career

Join the British Council at the 2011 Education UK Exhibition in Lagos & Abuja

BellaNaija.com

The British Council will be holding its annual Education UK Exhibition this February. The exhibitions will hold in 2 cities this year – Lagos and Abuja.

The Abuja event will hold on the 17th and 18th February at the Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Maitama while the Lagos event will hold on the 21st and 26nd February at the Expo Centre of the Eko Hotel, Victoria Island. Time is 10am to 4.30pm each day.

The exhibition is an opportunity for students to discuss their future career prospects and their own individual education requirements face to face with representatives of over 50 UK institutions. It will afford Nigerians the opportunity of seeing firsthand the variety of places of study; vast range of courses; teaching and delivery methods and a consistent commitment to quality of learning.

A UK qualification assures Nigerian students of qualifications with prospects, value for money, and courses that suit their needs. The benefits of UK education are available both in the UK and by studying for a UK qualification in Nigeria. The Education exhibitions this February will showcase both of these possibilities.

Event Details:

ABUJA: 17-18 February @ Transcorp Hilton Hotel, Abuja
LAGOS: 21-22 February @ The New Expo Centre of the Eko Hotel, VI
TIME: 10: 00am-4:30pm each day
ENTRY TICKETS: N2,000 only. Available at any British Council office or the exhibition venues

What to expect?
* Career & Professional development advice
* Information on studying and living in the UK
* Application processes and procedures
* Top tips on the UK student visa application process
* Financing options available

For further details, visit: www.educationuk.org/nigeria or www.facebook.com/studyintheuk

The British Council organizes over 50 education exhibitions across 30 countries each year including countries such as China, Hong Kong, Mexico, Brazil, Pakistan, Kenya Ghana and of course Nigeria. These exhibitions can attract over 30,000 visitors, bringing representatives from UK Institutions face to face with prospective international students.

The British Council Nigeria Education Exhibitions are the largest gathering of UK institutions, students, parents, education professionals, and academics in Africa. Over 50 UK institutions are expected to attend and over 5000 visitors are estimated to attend across Nigeria.

Many Nigerians who have experienced UK education, either at the graduate or post graduate level, have returned to Nigeria praising its inspirational, individual, and innovative nature. One of them is Akanimo Odon, the Nigerian who won the 2006 British Council’s International Student of the Year Award. Akanimo after his UK study has returned to Nigeria to put in practice what he has learnt. He summarises his experience of studying in the UK as:

Before I came to study in the UK I wasn’t a hundred per cent sure what to expect. I thought there was a chance that I’d struggle to settle down after arriving from Nigeria, but that just hasn’t been the case. I was made to feel so welcome and I think it’s great that people in the UK are respected for who they are, rather than where they’re from.

Akanimo’s experience of the UK clearly shows that the UK sets high standards in education and values individuals aiming for excellence, enthusiasm, confidence and independence.

The British Council will continue to provide opportunities for people like Akanimo to enjoy the benefits that a UK qualification has to offer whether they choose to do so here in Nigeria or in the UK.
Sponsored Content

1. B.Lee

February 8, 2011 at 5:40 pm

I’m soooo all over this like white on rice. Educative and informative, if only they used to give out visa’s there sef. Masters here i come.

2. Sia

February 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm

This is good for people who want to study in the UK. It’s better to attend such exhibitions so you know what you are getting into when you school there. So many are not aware of how their educational system works and they are overwhelmed throughout their entire first year of University.
    The professors are not your friends, they don’s ask you come to their offices after hours and all that #### some useless Nigerian professors do.
    I would really love to see a great Nigerian educational system. We need to stop giving these oyibo effas so much money. Their economies keep getting better because WE pay so much just to school there. What amazes me is that their own citizens do not necessarily go to school. They prefer to work.

The amount of money we spend in these countries makes me sad. I don’t live in Nigeria yet but I would love all my children to attend Nigerian schools. We have so much to offer but the government is not doing anything about it. I thank God for some good Nigerian private universities though.

3. cheaster

February 8, 2011 at 9:53 pm

@sia, this happens just becos our educational system has crumbled so badly, if we all learn and come back to implement what we have learnt and the skills of learning then they is no need of packaging our funds each year. As for me am taking a front roll in this event cos I want to give a better life for myself and others! Nigerian schools should also have exhibitions and packages where people knw what and how they can benefit from there. As per our private universities, let’s not go there cos they are failing us oh, profit profit profit and hiked school fees with no legal questioning agreement, what is that?

• Sia

February 8, 2011 at 10:54 pm

My dear, do you!

4. mytwocents

February 9, 2011 at 1:16 am

Sia
    My dear, do you!It’s very unfortunate that we have to suffer because of our failed GOVERNMENT. The misguided people that rule our country eh..SMH.As brutal as this may sound, someone mentioned that some people’s parents need to die in order for Nigeria to grow. These are the people running Nigeria yet they are not doing anything positive for the country. I am very eager to move back after my studies. I have learnt a lot (good and bad) from living and schooling here. I have come to appreciate myself as a Nigerian. I love the fact that I have somewhere to call home. When I hear these lost Nigerians over here expressing their hate for Nigeria, I feel bad for them.
    Some people enjoy being second class citizens as long as they are not in Nigeria. I don’t feel comfortable with not being able to have a say yet only my tuition can take care of a school staff for some months .Ahhh…How I can’t wait to move back home and contribute to our development. The type of development that makes the world notice us because we have so much potential. We need to take charge as citizens and not give up on our country.

God Bless you Sia! You have said it all. When I saw the topic, I just grew angry. I thought to myself, with their economies crumbling, here they are looking for people from other nationalities to come and study in their countries so that they can charge them an arm and a leg. It was only last year that Britain decided to increase the tuition of foreign students like crazy. I felt bad for the foreign students there. Here in the US, the story is no different. Foreign students pay double the amount of tuition that the locals pay. These oyibo countries continue to make themselves rich from developing nations. If we Africans can turn our universities back to what they once were in the 60s and 70s, then there will be no need to give oyibo people all that money while they smile with their coffee stained, yellow teeth to the bank. Once I finish school, I am out too. I do thank God that I had a chance to live abroad because it opened my eyes to alot of things I would have never known. The grass is not always greener on the other side and all that glitters is not gold. I wish more Africans will realize that as they journey abroad.

• Sia

February 11, 2011 at 2:04 am

You have really spoken well. Lol @ coffee stained, yellow teeth to the bank.

5. NNENNE

February 9, 2011 at 5:04 am

Guys, you said it all.One need to live abroad to see so much potentials turned into waste in Nigeria. The only problem we have in Nigeria today is “POOR MANAGEMENT AND GREED.”What didn’t God give us? Both the rulers and the ruled are equally guilty.

6. Tunde

February 9, 2011 at 11:00 am

Its very touching hearing all what we have spent on abroad institutions and the blame is on our selfish leaders.after rubbishing d standard of education in this country,they keep sending there children to study abroad.i wonder how a brilliant student will still be struggling to gain admission into our so called universities after studying so hard.well,only God will help the masses who cannot travel abroad.

7. Queen Ifunanya Okenwa

February 9, 2011 at 11:03 am

I love this.

8. femi okeowo

February 14, 2011 at 12:25 pm

Well my comment is that the council should help the elites is there environs to help them build themselves

9. femi okeowo

February 14, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Happy val to you all you can reach us on 08094330318 or 08038263952

10. emmanuel ezekwem

July 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm

pls i will like to know when the next exam will be written and where,this year own has it passed and when will the other exam take place,pls email me

11. Badmus Rilwon

January 10, 2013 at 9:11 am

Thats my dream ever since I had passed out but now no one to help but am still brilliant!