News

BN Prose: Weeks End by Dami D

I met Sadiq on a Monday. I remember what day it was because my staff meeting had gone badly and I just wanted a smoke. I slid out of the back door on the ground floor and brought out a cigarette from my bag. I had just taken my first puff when I noticed him next to me. I was startled. ‘Where did you come from?’.

He laughed. ‘Nigerian girls ask too many questions’, he said in a faux British accent. The accent that told me that he just moved back to Nigeria from ‘overseas’. Immediately, my guard went up. Guys like that were usually too arrogant for my Nigerian tastes. ‘Can you spare a smoke’? I rolled my eyes. ‘Spare a smoke’, I muttered under my breath as I pulled one out and gave it to him.

‘Lighter?’. I handed him that as well. We spent the next few minutes in silence. I finished my cigarette, now a little less relaxed than I wanted to be and went back into the office.

I saw him again on a Friday. Dress down day. I didn’t realise until I saw him in well cut jeans and a blue t-shirt that he was wearing a suit the first time we met. I had come out to smoke again. This time, he handed me a lit cigarette, ‘my turn’, he said before he leaned against the wall and we smoked in silence.

It happened a few more times. I didn’t notice how we moved from silent smokes to funny conversations and then dinner. He made me feel so comfortable. Our relationship was easy.

After our first time, he sang softly to me as I fell asleep. It was by far the corniest thing anyone had ever done for me. And in that moment when I smiled instead of planning my escape, I knew that he was the one I wanted to be with forever.

He proposed on a Sunday. I always found it funny how we would drink alcohol on a Saturday night, explore each others bodies on a Sunday morning and then go to church. He was the only other person that found it funny. My friends looked at me like there was a hotter part of hell waiting for me when I made jokes about my hypocritical behaviour.

He did it after church, in that time where everyone was doing a meet and greet and showing off their outfits. I can’t remember the exact details. I was too busy floating, literally floating in my happiness.

****

‘Gambo, I know you love my son very much.’ After the family dealt with his conversion from Islam, there’s no way we could have handled an inter- tribal marriage. So we thank God that you are one of us’. I nodded and smiled. ‘But as much as I want grandchildren, I don’t want sick ones.’ She paused and took a noisy sip of her herbal tea.  ‘My son said you don’t know your genotype.’

‘Yes ma’, I answered in the meekest voice I had.

‘I have arranged an appointment with our doctor- Abdullahi Ramal. He’s expecting you tomorrow.’ Inside I screamed at the arrogance of it. I cursed Sadiq for having to attend a last minute meeting, leaving me alone to lunch with his mother.

‘Yes ma’, I said smiling, pouring myself some more tea.

****

‘AS’. Of course it’s AS I thought, staring angrily at the doctor as if it was his fault. ‘I’ll just make a quick call to your mother-in-law’. His face showed that he realised his mistake,  ‘Madam Abdullahi’ he said correcting himself. ‘She’s expecting my call’. Of course she is, I thought.

‘Yes madam’, he said finishing his call and turning to me. ‘She said her driver will come and get you’. I gritted my teeth; I had already taken the morning off work for this. I didn’t tell Sadiq because he would have defended his mother’s actions and that would have made me resent him.

I waited in the reception for the car. I wondered about the genotype fuss. Of course, I had heard stories, but I had never thought about it. I hadn’t needed to. Before Sadiq,  there had never been anyone remotely serious in my life.

‘Madam, your driver is here’, the nurse/receptionist that had been picking her nose was talking to me.

‘Thank you’, I said, walking outside to the shiny Mercedes waiting for me.

‘I bring other driver, so he take your car’

‘Thank you Adamu’, I said throwing him my keys. In moments like these, I didn’t completely hate Mrs Abdullahi.

***

‘You know what you have to do.’

I was looking at her blankly. She was telling me to leave Sadiq. Before that moment, separation from Sadiq had never crossed my mind. The few nights we didn’t spend together felt dramatic enough. Missing him was physical as much as it was emotional.

‘This is the 21st century. Surely there are ways to protect our children’. The fact that we were talking about children made me feel like I was in a parallel universe. I hadn’t even picked my wedding dress!

‘You will leave my son, or he will leave you. There will be no more discussion’.

My poor Sadiq. He fought for me. He really did. But in the end, blood came first and his mother’s fears gradually became his. Our relationship ended before we booked a venue.

****

The last time I saw him was on a weekday. I don’t remember which exactly. My daughter, Adaora was throwing a tantrum in a Sweet Sensation parking lot and my friend Maryam and I were trying to bribe her with some kind of sugary treat.

‘Gambo!’. I looked up with a readily plastered fake smile on my face to hide my distress.

‘Sadiq!’, I said in genuine surprise.

‘You look very good. Wow, it’s been what? Three years?’

‘Almost four.’ I answered, replacing my fake smile with a genuine one. ‘You don’t look bad yourself. He was looking at Adaora. I pulled her forward. ‘This is my daughter, Adaora and my friend Maryam’, I added as an afterthought.

It was a double rainbow moment. Adaora wasn’t crying anymore.  She gave him one of her beautiful smiles. It was as if God felt like I deserved a momentary gift.

‘Aaaw she looks just like you, only prettier’. I smiled at the blatant lie; Ada looked exactly like her father. ‘You know now’ I replied jokingly.

‘Good to see you Gambo.’

‘You too Sadiq’.

A faint hint of nostalgia washed over me as I watched him drive off in his car.

‘Ah you know Sadiq Abdullahi. His wife just left him.’ I had only met Maryam a year ago and had never told her about my relationship with Sadiq.

‘Really?’ I said feigning interest while I strapped Ada in the backseat. Gossip was not a hobby for me.

‘Ehn now, it was all over City People. The poor guy was sterile and his wife already had a son…turns out…’ I tuned her out and focused on those words. ‘sterile’.

Photo Credit: www.newsone.com

1. Tiki

April 5, 2011 at 10:30 am

First!! back with a real comment…

2. SassyChic

April 5, 2011 at 10:35 am

Interesting read…I was a bit confused thou

• I can fix this

April 5, 2011 at 2:38 pm

DUH! Dee Dum…..Sadiq’s sterile!! Can’t bear a child..Think what would have happened to Gambo if she’d married him…His mum was worried they could have kids with Sickle Cell Anaemia but she didn’t realized her son couldn’t even multiply….what part do you need further explanation on?

3. Tiki

April 5, 2011 at 10:36 am

Ooooh, this got the wheels a-turning in my head. Talk abt a blessing in disguise! You see, when God closes a door, sometimes, He doesn’t just open a window or even another door, but breaks down a whole wall for your blessings to come rushing through!

• viv

April 6, 2011 at 12:17 pm

amen to that!! we always think our whole world has crumbled because things are not going our way. But a true blessing in disguise. i am sure Sadiq’s mother is hiding her head in shame!

4. gbegborun

April 5, 2011 at 10:39 am

Brilliant Brilliant Story, one of the best i’ve ever read on Bella. Please come back soon : )

5. jessica

April 5, 2011 at 10:43 am

OMG!!!! Imagine voicemail o. and to think that it was the discussion of children that broke them up in the first place. sheessh!!! we would never understand when God is trying to save us….

• Sassy Diva

April 7, 2011 at 9:50 am

Infact jessica if i were that lady , i would go back home, give my husband a huge bear hug and make crazy love to him vowing my unending love…every disappointment truly is a blessing in disguise jare

6. pizzazz

April 5, 2011 at 10:43 am

talk about a blessing in disguise!
    good job!

• aramide

April 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Was exactly gonna say that….. a true blessing in disguise.

7. sweetie

April 5, 2011 at 10:55 am

wow!!!!, i want more…fantastic story

8. anike

April 5, 2011 at 10:56 am

Nice story. Keep it up

9. Mo

April 5, 2011 at 11:01 am

woww!!! very interesting!!!
    tHAT SUUXX FOR HIM,..
    and his mum thot u were the one wiv the problem….
    she shud have gone to check her son!!

10. flashy

April 5, 2011 at 11:03 am

BLESSING in DISGUISE!…gud story BN

11. Biodun

April 5, 2011 at 11:12 am

Feel Good story.

12. niyoo

April 5, 2011 at 11:17 am

nice 1> i wish i could see the mom’s face when she heard ”sterile”
    What happens to her daughter and husband; will she leave them for her 1st love? smh

• Kunmi

April 6, 2011 at 10:31 am

I would LOVE to see his mother’s face as well… Some people sha.

13. nikky minaj

April 5, 2011 at 11:19 am

nice story but realy quite confusing

14. jenny d genius

April 5, 2011 at 11:23 am

I have just one word or this……….Wonderful.
    Kudos to whoever wrote this.

15. Ib

April 5, 2011 at 11:36 am

interesting..Am i the only one that thinks/knows Adaora is Sadiq’s??

• niyoo

April 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

i thought that too, but then what about the ”sterile” part. the writer isnt clear on the father. and the girls’d name is Adaora, points to a father of another ethnicity

• nelly

April 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

the writer did not mention her name but used “i” this indicates that she might be from the east hence her daughter’s name and yes i hv dis feeling adaora is sediq’s.

• Kemchi

April 5, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Or what if Adaora is Sadiq’s daughter and Gambo’s husband is from the east; I imagine the girl would have a name from the east in other to complete the ruse. It would be rather interesting if Sadiq is Adaora’s father, hmmmm……. However, I cannot explain the “sterile” part. Perhaps Sadiq and his Ex have a lot of explaining to do 😛

• maguim

April 5, 2011 at 12:05 pm

was actually thinking the same…

• pamhe

April 5, 2011 at 4:15 pm

but she was repeatedly referred to as “Gambo”…that’s no eastern name…..and that sentence about the family not being able to deal with an inter-tribal marriage “thank God you are one of us” all indicate she is from the North.Nice story…real nice!

• mummy

April 5, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Ib, I thought Adaora was sadiq’s too! definitely would like to read more of this story, if there’s anymore.

16. dewowo

April 5, 2011 at 11:38 am

murder-inlaws are just devil’s agent. women should know how & when to interfare in their children relationships… by the way TIGHT story!

17. Aibee

April 5, 2011 at 11:55 am

Hmmmm! Sterile?! Talk aboout blessing in disguise. My grandchildren will not be sickly, when you don’t know if you’ll even have the grandchildre. Psschew.

18. toke

April 5, 2011 at 12:21 pm

nice one. i also feel sadiq’s the dad. can we have a concluding version pleaseeeeeeee

• Africhic

April 6, 2011 at 8:12 am

Why would Sadiq be the dad, when its expressly stated that his wife left him cos he was sterile. Must it be concluded the way we want ?

19. Tyna

April 5, 2011 at 12:39 pm

such is life , wht goes around comes around……….wonderful piece!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Tyna

April 5, 2011 at 12:41 pm

d best piece ever , so interesting bella

21. me

April 5, 2011 at 12:43 pm

i dnt understand, was Sadiq ‘AS’ as well or was it only Gambo? if the two were, then the mother was right in seperating them but if the two were not, that means God was with Gambo and she has testimony to give in church for being taken out of a “sterile” life.

• Kemchi

April 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm

The writer implies that he is, based on his mother’s statement that “my grandchildren will not be sickly”. However, for all we know he may not have been, seeing as this whole genetic testing was instigated by his mum. Whom I suspect had her own ulterior motives. I imagine she was none too pleased with his conversion to Christianity to begin with. In any case, they are both grown adults and don’t need his mum meddling in their bizness. (Whether AS + AS or for any other misguided reason she may have conceived of).

22. dee

April 5, 2011 at 12:49 pm

nice story, but it has no ‘flow’. the storyline is also far too idealistic – a bit more research and a healthy dose of realism would have done your story a world of good.

23. yewy1

April 5, 2011 at 1:08 pm

haha !!! what a mess his mother just meddled for nothing…..

24. jezz

April 5, 2011 at 1:16 pm

This story has many loop holes and isn’t quite balanced. Poorly written I’d say. Nonetheless, well done

• Obi

April 5, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Nothing poor about it. Simple prose. Interesting story line. Nice lesson at the end too. Or what would you have change? Please expatiate.

25. Fairy Godsister

April 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

I liked it, but I’ve read too many like this before….

26. C

April 5, 2011 at 1:17 pm

dee, the story was just beautiful, perfect really!Whats all the noise about blessing in diguise. so what if the man u love is sterile. So a man shud leave his wife who cos she is certified barren? I smell hypocrisy all over the comments. They loved each other, so they cud have adopted. And u all claim God u trust, going to churches on sundays and mosques on fridays and no true concept of what it means to love, trust and obey God.

• Tiki

April 6, 2011 at 3:31 pm

The issue is not about his being sterile, the issue is about being dumped because your partner thinks you cannot give him healthy children, only for him to find out that he cannot even have children at all, and to have the wife he thought able to give him healthy children dump him instead!It is a blessing in disguise, because while you may love him enough to stay with him, God spared you from that decision, and bigger pain, by separating you both. Remember that she didn’t know he was sterile before, so that had nothing to do with the situation-plus, the decision to break up was not hers.So, what she might have thought to be a sad, heartbreaking event, turned out a blessing, as it freed her to have kids!

27. bonny

April 5, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I AGREE WIV DEE

28. Lil miss sunshine

April 5, 2011 at 2:10 pm

God used the evil witch of a mother to spare her a lifetime of sorrow. Good read !

29. Kathryn Cage

April 5, 2011 at 2:32 pm

What’s with the people who do not understand this simple concise story, u want a novel? It is straight to the point. To the person who said ‘when God Closes a door, he breaks a wall for your blessings to come through’, i totally agree with you. Beautiful Adaora would not have been born if Gambo persisted and remained in the relationship with Sadiq. To the person who talked about love and staying with a partner without a child, wake up, it doesn’t happen, not when u know you can have children of your own. For men whose wives are barren and you think they are sticking it out with her, check girl, they have secret children (sometimes with your closest friend or someone you know and u’ll be the last to know and may only get to know sometimes when they are late and gone). To Gambo, i say ‘It was God at work in your life’!!!

30. !!!

April 5, 2011 at 3:07 pm

i agree with cee, i don’t really see the blessing in disguise point.

• annie

April 5, 2011 at 3:39 pm

neither do i! (i thot i was the only 1, lol)

• lily

April 5, 2011 at 3:52 pm

she would have been married to a sterile man.

31. lola

April 5, 2011 at 3:45 pm

WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT.

32. lily

April 5, 2011 at 3:51 pm

God is indeed good. when he wants to bless us, we never know. indeed, the wisdom of God is foolishness unto man.

33. Amy

April 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm

I like.The story sounds authentic and elitist(in a good way).

Btw if you appreciate good writing you will like http://mangoseason.wordpress.com/

• fokasibe

April 6, 2011 at 9:03 am

Thanks Amy! Bless you for a new window of fun!!! :*

34. foolish talk

April 5, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Great article.

35. Sobe

April 5, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Good story….but i think Sadiq knows about his condition. Maybe he really liked her but his mum had to use the AS thingy (which her own doctor would have cooked up)to stop them from getting married.
    More please……:)

36. Emjay

April 5, 2011 at 4:14 pm

This is intriguing and mind engaging. could we request that u complete this write up? lets know who’s child d girl is and if they ever got back together

37. ann

April 5, 2011 at 4:32 pm

good story. poor sadiq. its only important to understand that a door has to be closed for a better one to be open

38. eye-TEE-kay

April 5, 2011 at 4:35 pm

awesome! poor sadiq…

39. V

April 5, 2011 at 4:50 pm

I dnt understand why people are saying blessing in disguise for not marrying a sterile man…..
    She was in love with that man, when you love someone deeply there are some trials u will have to go through and maybe sterility would have been theirs
    who knows God could have worked a miracle in their own unioun

40. Jade

April 5, 2011 at 4:58 pm

loved it, simply great

41. dee

April 5, 2011 at 6:48 pm

No..i dont think adaora is sadiq’s child…………..notice when Gambo said…..she looks more like her father……

Nice write up!

42. zara

April 5, 2011 at 6:50 pm

LOVE IT.. simple, straight to the point yet captivating!
    lesson learnt also 🙂

whoever the writer is, please continue

43. Akpevwe

April 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm

Lovely piece. The story just shows us for every disappointment, there will always be a blessing ahead.

44. Kemchi

April 5, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Great story, tho I had to read it twice to get d full gist 🙂 I think Dami D did a good job. For those ‘awesome’ literary critics complaining of no flow, loopholes and such, what do you want? A 230 page novel so you can get some flow and less loopholes? It’s a short story/prose, it’s meant to be a quick read! I also think the point is to leave us wanting more, and possibly jumping to all kinds of conclusion. That’s what makes it fun and interesting.

45. Bubblybliss

April 5, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Love the way the author write, clear and concise; kept my imagination hooked and a very refreshing read! More please! *batting lashes*

46. Mariella

April 5, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Yo Dami D, do you have a blog we can follow you on?

47. Tutu

April 5, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Really Nice, some disappointments are really blessing in disguise.

48. boluji

April 5, 2011 at 11:35 pm

i dont get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

49. dee

April 5, 2011 at 11:59 pm

when you put a piece of work out there, you should expect all sorts of comments. we are all ‘armchair critics’ and as such entitled to our various opinions. if i were the writer i would take all comments with a pinch of salt and ake of it what i would, and just a gentle reminder – we are all entitled to our various opinions

50. sweetie

April 6, 2011 at 4:51 am

Some people lack critical thinking/ analysis sha….what is there not to understand in this story…hmmn na wa o ! Only lord knows what they teach in the name of English language in schools these days……and yes,wait for it, wait for it….

51. zeenie

April 6, 2011 at 6:08 am

Wow! Poor sadiq… For Ў☺ΰ itz really a blessing in disguise… I love †нє story!!! Xpecting more from you thou…

52. Kunmi

April 6, 2011 at 10:28 am

“My friends looked at me like there was a hotter part of hell waiting for me…” 🙂 Really interesting! I like a lot…

53. it smells like roses

April 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

it was a nice easy read but i dont agree with the motive behind the story. The MIL did the right thing! and pple are now trying to call her evil! two AS shouldnt get married……if you think that is wrong, ask any one who has a SS kid, or lost a SS kid or someone who is SS.
    I also dont get it; when a woman is barren, we sympathize with her, but when a guy is sterile, we make fun of him?!!

• NIRA

April 7, 2011 at 10:24 am

I agree that the MIL did the right thing, the issue is how she did it. I don’t think two AS ppl should marry either, but no one made fun of the guy for being sterile. Ppl are just happy that it ended well for Gambo afterall.

54. abu peter

April 6, 2011 at 12:09 pm

can we have season 2 plssss. Cant wait!

55. D'Lola

April 6, 2011 at 12:10 pm

Beautifully written piece. An obviously brilliant writer to have compiled the event, emotions and details of a 5 year span in under 500 words.

Respect 🙂

56. shonnyposh

April 6, 2011 at 12:50 pm

life……

57. Oluwasayomi endowed

April 6, 2011 at 2:28 pm

wow!!! loved it,nice short and captivating

58. Oluwasayomi endowed

April 6, 2011 at 2:30 pm

nice short and capitivating,2 thumbs up

59. Nana Nasiru

April 6, 2011 at 3:43 pm

is that all? the Oliver twist in me wants more, like seriously where is the part 2 ( Nollywood style) ???

60. amore

April 6, 2011 at 4:49 pm

wow!!!! i love it i love it i love it!!!!!!!!!
    it is soooo lovely a story it reminds me of my time….. i really hate the way sadiq’s mom acted but i loved how it all turned out…. thank goodness she didnt head on with the relationship she wouldnt have had adaora

61. Olayemi

April 6, 2011 at 6:53 pm

This writer is from heaven, I swear!!!!! Nice! Nice!

62. Patawele

April 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Nice story line. the mother in law did the right thing, but not in the right way. See what happened in the end. It shows that what goes around comes around. Come to think of it sometimes life doesnt seem fair in our eyes. If Gambo had married sadiq, she wouldnt have had that beautiful daughter would she?

63. Mz C

April 7, 2011 at 12:50 am

@ jeez, poorly written ke? oh u want nollywood type storyline, “and sadiq got up and he put his left foot in front of the right foot for ten paces and then got to his destination and lifted his right hand to knock on the door” abegi this is brilliant writing keep up the good work oh Jare Dami D.

64. NIRA

April 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

Right in your face, mother-in-law!! Wish I could see her face when she learnt her son is sterile. On the other hand, I don’t blame her for protecting her son and future grandkids. Nobody wants to have kids that will have sickle cell anemia, if it can be prevented. In this day and age, every adult should know his/ her genotype to prevent unnecessary emotional trauma. Nice article.

65. chuchu

April 7, 2011 at 10:46 am

Seriously this was a fantastic read, a nie distraction from work. I really enjoyed myself in Gambo’s cosmo girl world and the harsh realities of Culture and Health. truly a blog would be nice Dami.

66. Gezani

April 7, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I also do not understand when people say it was a blessing not to marry a sterile man. Not everyone is meant to have children and even the bible says that. Hence its important to know the purpose the person is marrying you for. Children are a blessing and are not guaranteed to anyone.

67. temi

April 7, 2011 at 8:39 pm

i love it!
    pefect endong, great start; )

68. bravo

April 8, 2011 at 6:47 am

the nicest prose i have ever read on BN….

69. funmid

April 8, 2011 at 8:07 pm

proud of u

70. yinka

April 15, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Talk about dodging a bullet….

71. Nomy

June 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm

All i can say is, “TOO GOOD”! To the writer, my respect!

72. Nomy

June 27, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Adaora does not belong to Sadiq people! Read the part where Sadiq mentions that Adaora looks like Gambo then read Gambo’s thought! Adaora looks like her Father and if her Father is Sadiq then it should be obvious to Sadiq who would just love to claim a child! Read well people!

73. DUH!!

November 11, 2011 at 12:01 am

@Ican fix this, you really couldn’t fix it o, look at this with a little more depth.
    Did she say anything about a husband???? No, so where’s the husband conclusion coming from?
    Anyway, I think Adaora is Sadiq’s child, but the truth is its a short story, you’re supposed to derive ur own conclusions
    My2kobo

74. Fionnuala

June 26, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Gambo never mentioned if she was married or had a child out of wedlock… could she make a run back for Sadiq?

75. Toni