News

Elan presents its 2011 Swimsuit Issue featuring Arabella Waterwear

Elan, the magazine insert of Next on Sunday Newspaper is released images from their annual swimsuit issue. For 2011, new swimwear label – Arabella Waterwear is in the spotlight.
Pieces from Arabella are featured in the fashion spread which takes the swimsuits away from their “natural habitat” (by the pool or beach) to the mechanics workshop. Quite an interesting contrast…

WIN A FREE SWIMSUIT FROM ELAN!
elan’s annual sexy swimsuit issue is here ! They are offering two lucky readers a chance to win one custom made swimsuit by new fashion label – Arabella Waterwear.
All you have to do is tell them in 20 words what you enjoy most about being by the water. You may enter several times (different wording per entry) by the May 8th deadline, a raffle will then select the two winners. Winners will be announced on the 15th of May 2011. Please send emails to the editor,
[email protected] Find out more in Sundays paper.
Enjoy!

1. BE

April 29, 2011 at 5:06 am

Nothing different about the collection. Seen it all. With that said, I do love the concept of the pics. Tired of the boring pool side or on the beach swimwear pics. Too obvious

2. Someone

April 29, 2011 at 5:20 am

Toh bad

3. Obi

April 29, 2011 at 5:22 am

what is this?

• Justsaying

April 29, 2011 at 5:46 am

I just asked the same question in my mind. Do people now wear swimsuit to do mechanic work? lol

4. Anonymous

April 29, 2011 at 6:38 am

I dont think anyone would wanna swim in these. They are not very nice, plus, I dont’t see any design in them.

5. EUCK

April 29, 2011 at 6:54 am

Sorry, but trying way too hard with the shoot location. There’s way too much going on it the background in some of the shots, that the pieces get lost….tres distracting. Again re: showing off the pieces, some are not shown off because of the way the model was posed. At the end of the day it all comes down to the pieces and location is secondary!

You probably should have kept it simple (yes @ the beach) since this is kind of your “debut”, so the designs are really highlighted. Thereafter you can go crazy with the “edginess” (I know that’s what someone will come and say now *rolling my eyes*)

• BE

April 29, 2011 at 7:26 am

lol…but its technically not his debut. just opening in Lagos. However, I think if the models weren’t mediocre, the concept would have been better. Its a problem when a broken down danfo outshines the model.Gosh, I even the accessories are overwhelming. lmao.

• misskhadiva

April 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

you took the words out of my mouth…i’ll buy the wrecked cars instead.

• EUCK

May 1, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I know darling. Hence me having the word debut in quotes ;). It is Arabella’s coming out so to say in the Nigerian market. Nonetheless comment appreciated. Cheers luv.

• This gurl

April 29, 2011 at 9:38 am

you have said it ALL!!!

6. fistic

April 29, 2011 at 7:17 am

Elan Magazine….are you serious, no editing, no photoshop….

7. Kilonsparkles

April 29, 2011 at 7:22 am

HORRIBLE pictures.

8. THE AMAKA

April 29, 2011 at 7:47 am

Nigerians lets stick to being us, okay?

• Ready

April 29, 2011 at 7:54 am

Totally off topic, but the Amaka, why are you up? Are you waiting for the wedding too?

• THE AMAKA

April 29, 2011 at 8:05 am

its not off topic, its about this swimwear. i don’t think the parading of half-nakedness should become a thing in naija, and if so, not with the idea that skinny is the ideal. Nigerian girls already have enough trouble growing up, so why add more to it? we don’t have to copy everything we see in the west. i remember when being big was the ideal beauty in Africa (and a lot of places, its still that way today) but when did this whole skinny thing start if not when we started copying. I’m slim, but I just don’t watch little things poisoning our society. it may seem small now, but who knows where it will be 10 years from now.
      and as for the royal wedding, i can care less. everyone seems so hyped about it, EXCEPT ME. lol

• Ready

April 29, 2011 at 8:20 am

I wasn’t saying you were off topic, I was saying my question is off-topic. And I am invested in the wedding. Why? I no sabi.

9. Ready

April 29, 2011 at 7:52 am

I get the idea of trying to switch things up, but this isn’t how you do it mister. I just scrolled up to have another look and I burst out laughing. No…I can’t. I just can’t.
    See the last picture of the girl in the printed halter top & granny panties with clunky blue shoes? Hilarious. Who did the styling? Who chose the location? #EPICFAIL.

10. zeenie

April 29, 2011 at 7:56 am

there is nothing new about the designs i must say and the photographer could have done a better job…

11. THE AMAKA

April 29, 2011 at 8:07 am

BTW, MBGN UNIVERSE 2010 NGOZI IS LOOKING GOOD! glad to see her excelling in her modeling career.

12. moi

April 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

are swimsuits worn with all those heels, i tot “swim ” was the watchword

13. Amy.L.N

April 29, 2011 at 8:14 am

I get the concept they had in mind, but they couldn’t deliver it. Bad photography.

14. kify

April 29, 2011 at 8:21 am

Wat exactly is the point here? so we can now swim in engine oil or is it to portray how dirty we can get before we go swimming? Aint it supposed to be a swimsuit collection? so why wasnt this done at the beach of even a polished private home jacuzzi? total failure in my eyes !Smh- when will 9ja learn that simple can be different.

15. mii

April 29, 2011 at 8:25 am

love the swim suits, the location …not very nice (n)

16. Graceful

April 29, 2011 at 8:39 am

…tooo many things going in the pics and one kinda focuses on them and not on the models!

17. THE AMAKA

April 29, 2011 at 8:41 am

@Ready, ohhhhh, i thought you were referring to my comment. lol.
    okay oo

18. Nwanyi Oma

April 29, 2011 at 8:42 am

Yes I agree there’s a lot going on but doing this shoot at the beach would have just been BLEH! That’s too stereotypical! I don’t blame em for wanting to do somn different.

19. LOLA

April 29, 2011 at 8:46 am

I think the photo shoot is so boxingkitten! and, surroundings are overpowering the subject of the photos!

20. Salamander

April 29, 2011 at 8:48 am

Wetin de hungry Nigerians no de market. Swimwear has no business in a mechanic’s workshop.

21. Tyna

April 29, 2011 at 8:56 am

i dnt understnd d concept of dis design and d whole idea is wack ………….

22. dewowo

April 29, 2011 at 9:54 am

pls come again!

23. babe

April 29, 2011 at 10:03 am

i do not like!!!!!!!!!!

24. joeh

April 29, 2011 at 10:31 am

i think they want to portray “GIRL POWER”., where they can do hard work but staying sexy.,., BUT its a failure!! No-No!!

25. Naj

April 29, 2011 at 10:49 am

I dont no what all the complaining is about oh…Me as a guy am feeling the vibe, yeah it could have been done better but so could a lot of things. Ladies are lookin yum, swimsuits are being sold (in my opinion) and they all look like they r having a laff. Abeg I fit buy 4 the ladies in my life. #Gbam

26. jide

April 29, 2011 at 11:25 am

@Amaka
    the weight of the models is not an issue.They are not super skinny.What i see are sizes 6 bodering of 8 so don`t promote obescity.i don`t know what size you are but from the way you sound u come accross as someone on the plus size but that is no reason to be frustrated.

No designer worth his salt is ever gonna put any model on plus size on his swimsuit unless he is doing plus sizes.You might hate it but skinny albeit not super skinny looks better on photos.I don`t encourage anorexia but I honestly believe naija women should watch what they eat and when not cos of fashion but health as well and I say this with all the love I could muster.

I know some might give me stick for this but the truth is stil what it is the truth

• Sandra

April 29, 2011 at 1:08 pm

Jide, as a size 6 girl myself, I know for sure that those girls are more of size 8 bordering on 10. I agree with Amaka on this one. You can have beautiful looking curvy girls who are size 12 and 14 and are more representative of the nigeria women population. After-all, Nigerian women are the ones buying the swimsuits, and if they cannot connect with the girls in the photo-shoot then Im sorry, but there’s going to be little business for you. Obesity is a whole different issue and is a bit out of the scope of discussion, which is more about maintaining reasonable physical standards by ensuring that we don’t start copying western ideals.

• THE AMAKA

April 29, 2011 at 3:01 pm

this is why i can never leave a comment without people getting personal. truth be told, I’m the size of these models, just that i have bigger boobs. are you happy now? must i air out who i am before people accuse me of being jealous or over sized? seriously? im irritated now.
      and FYI: being skinny does not always mean healthy. so these girls are encouraing naija women? i seriously laugh. next thing you know, people will complain and say Nigerian girls are shapeless. SMH.

27. Love ME

April 29, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Rily this isnt it. i must commend your efforts but you could have done better. too many distractions. its a NO

28. Peperempe

April 29, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Photography is bad. Location is bad. Models are dull. Swimsuits are derivative. Lighting is poor. Concept is just wrong.

Swimsuits are supposed to transport you to another place; to make you want to go on holiday. They could have gone to an exotic location in Nigeria; a little rural lake or something and done a native/modern shoot. I mean, seriously, it’s not that difficult.

29. xyzz

April 29, 2011 at 12:59 pm

really should v been done on d beach. its just too much to take in

30. tot4tot

April 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm

cringing at d dirty places ur almost bare bums are perched on! BTW a car in a shoot can be made to look dirty but believe me honey does broken buses have years of bacteria…

31. marvel

April 29, 2011 at 1:10 pm

That’ll teach em for nicking ma pickins name. Wharra mess!!

32. Sandra

April 29, 2011 at 1:13 pm

I agree with most of what has been said. If they wanted to be a bit different by not using the cliche beach scene, then they should have done a car-wash scene.

33. juliet

April 29, 2011 at 2:50 pm

go to beach people

34. kenora

April 29, 2011 at 11:28 pm

dis is bad,l cant wear this ..bad coletn

35. spicy

April 30, 2011 at 11:55 pm

i seriously SMH at whoever styled this shoot,picked d location, and shot it!!!I hope they learn that sometimes simple concepts really do work best. this over the top ridiculousness just hurts my eyes and makes me dislike the swimsuits,some of which are not bad by d way…

36. medina

May 1, 2011 at 2:05 am

the models r okay but the concept is ??????? Swim-Grease!!!! more like a lubricant advert!!
    there must be a dirty gutter somethere (that contains water!!!!! lol!!!!)… the idea of swimming in a gutter- as crazy as it sounds may have been more interesting!! LOLLLLLL

37. dee

May 2, 2011 at 7:12 pm

never have i seen soo many haters in my life>>>>>it is a stunning shoot n the models look great! grow the hell up people!