News

Money Matters: The Root of all Goodness?

They say money is the root of all evil; but I honestly think otherwise. Long ago, I never had money of my own. I relied solely on my parents to pay for this and that. I couldn’t wait to get a proper job so I could have my own money. Strangely, when I started working and earning, I still didn’t have as much money as I wanted and needed – one big buy and my account would be in the red! I wondered what the rich folks did to stay rich!

I learnt a life-changing lesson from a friend right after we started our NYSC. While I was busy trying to save all my money in the bank, and looking forward to my end of the month paycheck, she gave the whole of her first salary to the church! Personally, I thought that she was crazy, especially since she had some financial challenges at the time. She called it her “first fruit”, which she must give God. I tried to make her see reason. I thought that paying one’s tithe i.e. one-tenth of one’s salary/allowance was commendable enough. Why give it all and then starve to death? My friend ignored all I said to dissuade her and I felt sorry for her. Why was she “overdoing it”? Abi na she kill Jesus?  Later on, I did some soul searching and realised that secretly, I was envious of her faith and commitment to God. I resolved to pay my own “first fruit” also, once I got my first real job.

My first real job was at a location that was way out of my comfort zone, which made it difficult to pay my first fruit, but I was determined. On that Sunday morning, just before I dropped my envelope into the collection basket, I said a prayer;  I told God, I didn’t want to have to search for a job after paying my first fruit. I always wanted a successful career, but the hustle of jumping from one interview to the next and distributing CV’s was quite daunting.

I had faith that God heard me on that day, and He sure did. I successfully completed my tasks on that job and hoped for an even better one. Soon enough, I got a phone call to resume work at the exact place I had always dreamt of. I found it hard to believe that God really heard me, and answered my prayer to the letter. I walked right into my dream job and I didn’t even have to formally apply for it, nor did I write a test to prove my capability.

Of course I have experienced challenges while at work, but with each passing day, I have trusted that God will come through for me and He always does.  Once I started my new job, I was ecstatic, so ecstatic that I signed an erroneous contract – according to the contract my income was quite less than what I had initially expected. As a result, I barely earned more than the office driver for well over a year. Instead of complaining about it, I decided to do something different. I had found out how much my real salary would have been if my contract had been correctly drafted and I paid my tithe as if I was earning my ‘entitled’ salary.  I continued to do this for a while and just as I was about to quit, my contract was reviewed and upgraded. A few months after that, my pay grade was subjected to another review and was doubled again! It was all going very well, and I could clearly see the benefit of my earlier sacrifices. Little did I know that there was more to come.

A few months ago, my boss informed me that the organisation no longer had enough funds to retain a number of staff- including me.  I couldn’t believe it! I went home feeling super hurt, depressed, unappreciated, confused, … the works! I called my parents and siblings and they said all the wonderful things that I thought they’d say to make me feel better, but the truth was they couldn’t help me. Only God could and I knew it. I said a prayer and went straight to bed – sleep is one true cure for an upset state of mind!

I returned to work the next week only for my boss to offer me a better position with an affiliate organisation, which pays an even higher salary, and opens doors to a new set of opportunities. Apparently, a vacancy had resulted in the affiliate organisation over the weekend and my boss saw me as a worthy candidate to fill the role.

Today, aside from my growing career, as a hobby, I manage a thriving clothing business and I am a writer. Simply put, I no longer need daddy to pay for my meal the next time I visit my favourite restaurant since God has taken over. Personally, I think my sacrifices have paved a way for a brighter future. Although that doesn’t mean I won’t have challenges, it just means ‘after’ those challenges are overcome, there is an even brighter path ahead. I know not everyone would agree with me, and I can understand that. After all, even I thought my friend was crazy for giving all of her first salary to the church. But if my personal experience is anything to go by, it’s definitely worth a try.

1. MsLuffa

August 1, 2011 at 1:02 pm

no doubt tithing is an amazing thing, but dare i say your article is missing a big disclaimer;Folks don’t just give your tithe because you want God to bless you financially. God is not a cash cow, or a money doubler.
    What helps is knowing that whatever you have is from God, so you can really give God what was his to start with in the first place, rather you take it to him as an act of worship and submission. Regardless of whether you get a promotion, a job or a pay rise, God is still God.
    Nice story btw. It’s always nice to read of things going well for someone financially when most news is about melt down, redundancies and foreclosures. Good for you.

2. BubblyBliss

August 1, 2011 at 1:03 pm

It’s the love of money that is the root of all evil

3. samsie

August 1, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Beautiful…reminds me of the 100k I owe God.I will pay up.

• adamma

August 1, 2011 at 4:05 pm

@samsie, no man owes God, it were better for u dat u redeem ur debt, yes we all know dat God is a merciful father bt u shouldn’t dabble wif him

• Kemchi

August 1, 2011 at 6:13 pm

100k ke! Dude! Oya come and take check and go and pay ur debt quick 🙂

4. tinu

August 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm

monet mater indeed!

5. FummyMo

August 1, 2011 at 1:13 pm

Interesting!!!

6. Folakemi

August 1, 2011 at 1:13 pm

First. Very nice write up. Although i learnt about first fruit late, i always make sure i pay my tithe no matter what. I once made a mistake of lending my tithe one month like that but believe me, i regretted it.

• faith

August 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

OUR MISTAKES/MISUNDERTSANDING;
      1)we shuldnt give our first fruit and tithe to God just becos some1 did n he got wat he was looking for.
      2)we shuldnt give out our first fruit as a sacrifice without God asking u to.
      3)pastors av so brianwashed u into thinking dat the best way to challenge God is by giving him your first fruit n tithe.
      4)i think people see money as the easyway out n the pastors r smiling to the bank.
      There r oda methods of seeking d face of God
      1)go down on your knees n pray consistently
      2)cry like dat woman dat was looking for d fruit of d womb in d bible
      3)fast if u can
      4if u turely must give,den give to the needy in our society
      5)be attendtive to d voice of GOD…HE WILL TELL U WAT TO DO.

7. tinu

August 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

first fruits,yea i belive in it

8. Dolores

August 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

You’ve written an inspiring article and I have no doubt that people would comment here with similar stories. However, I feel your case may have less to do with giving God your first salary than you believe. It’s as though you are paying God for blessing you. I believe your FAITH in him – through good times and bad – got you where you are today. God does not need our money. All he wants is our unwavering devotion. I’m writing this because I know angry bible thumpers will come out in full force to defend or reject tithing. FAITH trumps TITHE. Full stop.

• ijé

August 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Dear Ejiré,
      I am happy for you and that your faith is growing. However, I totally agree with Dolores. God’s love for you and the blessings He bestows on you are Unconditional. You need to be careful about your attitude towards giving offerings to God. If, God forbid (lol), your circumstances did not change, what would the moral of your story be? When your hadn’t started paying your tithe/ giving first fruits, he blessed you. The spirit behind the offerings of Abel, Abraham and the widow who gave her mite was that of love, worship and total resignation to God. We shouldn’t get into the rut of having an excessively materialistic view on life.

• Missy

August 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

ije….since i was young and now i’m getting old yet i have never seen the righteous forsaken…..the Lord is near unto them that call upon Him out of a sincere heart….they shall never be put to shame those who trust in the Lord……….I could go on…[email protected] …bring the tithe and offering into the warehouses and test me in this if I will not open the windows of heaven and pour out such a blessing on you so much so that there wont be room enough to contain it….I could go on…..I hope those verses help u both…they aint my words….

• Kemchi

August 1, 2011 at 6:31 pm

Erm, Malachi 3:10. It appears that going by the Word of God there is a commanded blessing that follows paying tithes.

Yes, her faith got her thru but faith without works is dead. Had she just faith and no works i.e d story of her testimony methinks her story wouldn’t be same, no?

Surely God does not need our money, but He has His reasons for asking for the tithes and first fruit offering. Just like He did not need Abraham to kill Isaac but all the same He asked him to do it.

9. ireke

August 1, 2011 at 1:14 pm

ejire,
    I can totally relate as in… I feel like I wrote this piece..
    Paying first fruit and tithe really works

10. prince

August 1, 2011 at 1:17 pm

oh boi, dat is wht i call challenging God

11. MzEyeCandy

August 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

This is a lovely write up.. Giving thanks always doubles a blessing in other forms and yours is a shining example… Never give up (though i do on occassion…)
    Dare I say FIRSTTTTT

12. dee

August 1, 2011 at 1:27 pm

“The love of money” is the root, not just “money”

13. Loma

August 1, 2011 at 1:28 pm

That was inspiring!

14. Oyakhire

August 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I can’t believe it. Its like you saw into my heart and blurted out what had secretly pained me these past few weeks. I just got offered my first real job but the pay is just like what you had experienced – as low as what they pay the drivers yet the work i am meant to do is so much work.
    You have challenged me; and i will take a leap of faith and offer up my all my first pay! I am afraid to think of what i just said but it worked before…i know it will work again.
    God bless you Ejire!

15. Ade

August 1, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I normally never comment on BN but I couldn’t let this one go! I get really annoyed when Nigerian Christians pretend that God is some mix between Father Christmas and Shango – there is no magic formula that God offers to you – paying your tithes (should you choose to do it) is a personal revelation from God not a tool to ensure your salary is forever increasing! Christianity is a walk of faith with God – through good and bad times, it is a call to a relationship not to a sugar daddy of gifts!! Grr!

• MsLuffa

August 1, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Amen brother/sister!! Amen to that and lol @the cross between Santa Clause and Sango!

16. Deola Adelekun

August 1, 2011 at 1:42 pm

Well done and do not relent!! I understand you perfectly and yes! i believe in paying your first fruits and tithes……………..Even when challenges come, they are bread for you!!

17. Mademoiselle

August 1, 2011 at 1:49 pm

DO I HEAR A HALLELUYUURRRR???

I’m equally going through a hard time and I think your story has been quite inspiring. Someimes, I’ve felt like giving up on christianity cause I keep praying, hoping and believing to no avail. But thanks for this write up!

• Missy

August 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Halleluia…hang in there babe…it will pass though you wont think so now cos of the pain but u will get thru it strong and blessed…feb,march last year was hell…one u cant begin to imagine…I actually gave up..yeah I moved on away from xtianity but thankGod for not letting me go…and gradually april may june july and finally august things turned around….now of cos i’m in another phase but u know what i still trust God and still enjoying my faith!!..just hang in there…..

• Mademoiselle

August 1, 2011 at 7:19 pm

Thanks missy…appreciate it.

• Kemchi

August 1, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Hallelujah! Madmoiselle hang in there dearie. Sometimes ’tis not easy at all. However, even when it seems like nothing is happening… someday u too will testify. Think of other ways in which He has blessed you. Do not focus only on your finances, and you will see that God is always with you indeed.

18. Uchechi

August 1, 2011 at 1:52 pm

Aww, I like this article, thanks for sharing.

19. toyhin

August 1, 2011 at 1:58 pm

its true, it works for soooo many people. You have to believe and have faith for it to work, if not you would go on hunger strike and yet be broke. it worked for Pastor E.A Adeboye and lot of men of God. its a sacrifice,its not a most u should drop it. Though, i have never tried it b4 but i am looking forward to trying it and with faith it would work

20. hils

August 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Kudos Ejire! Its an amazing story! I also pay my first fruit”and tithes, it wasn’t easy atall! But one things for sure, GOD has been awesome, as in amazingly awesome!!

21. HRS OLUBUSOLA

August 1, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Fabulous testimony!!! And giving should be done with joy as it is a priviledge. First fruits, i totally believe in it and want my faith to step up to it!

22. Fiona

August 1, 2011 at 2:50 pm

It’s the LOVE of money that is the root of all eveil, not money. Get it right please.

23. cutie

August 1, 2011 at 3:42 pm

God does not bless us because we give Him money, though tithes and fruits are good to be observed , God’s mercy is not tied around that. He is a deep compassionate God that loves all of us, giving tithes and first fruits are just signs of total surrender to Him ,not because He needs our money. He doesn’t, have you forgotten, He owns the all world and the heavens. Nice one though.

24. Yvonne!

August 1, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I can relate to this… I’m in a situation where i need an upliftment in my career and i remember paying 100% of my 1st and second salary to my church and believing God for a better job though i’ve not had a change of job yet but i know God’ll never owe me. Truly inspiring!!

25. SOG

August 1, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Hey, Ejire! You spoke my mind, no joke. I absolutely adore your story and how you converted from discouraging your friend, to becoming one with much faith. Some people here are getting it wrong. It’s not that he is using money to bribe God but that he is applying faith and sacrifice to worship God and to show his dedication. Any how you want to explain it, I’ve done similar things and they sure have worked immensely. I’m so grateful to God and may God bless you even more for sharing this testimony and sharing your faith. You are blessed. In fact, will you marry me? lol. But seriously though, nice one. I hope people will take the important message from this.

26. SOG

August 1, 2011 at 4:00 pm

money is NOT the root of all evil. The LACK OF MONEY IS THE ROOT OF ALL EVIL.

27. jcsgrl

August 1, 2011 at 4:09 pm

What kind of baseless, factless article is this? Please get more revelation on giving and money before posting to decieve other ppl. Thanks to ppl like Ade, Delores and Ij for balancing and speaking the truth!

• Missy

August 1, 2011 at 5:51 pm

factless baseless regarding faith and God…..when u started reading the article why dint u stop as soon as u realised it was religious cos obviously u dont beleive in religion…and if i may interject for Ade,Ije and Dolores they simply emphasied God shudn’t be viewed as a money doubler but as Cutie explained…when u love someone u give….of urself…gifts time which includes money and even ur “allies” were a whole lot sublter….Nne God never fails….if u have had a bitter experience or are it the rut I promise trust Him and you’ll climb out sooner than u think….well…that said…pele….Ejire dint mean to rile u…:-)))).

• Written

August 1, 2011 at 7:49 pm

Where is the spirit of love in this chastisement? Do you know how hard it can be to part with money like your entire first salary? She may not have stated it but it is clear she has given under revelation and as an act of faith and that may have something to do with the swift rewards. That is not to say that God is a money doubler or that God cannot read the deepest intents of our hearts. We cannot fool God. That said, indeed God loves us deeply and does not respond to us based on our works otherwise we’d never have been saved. Whom He’d bless, He’d bless and if it’s done in faith then it’s not sin.

• 'Mochi

August 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

You cant call the article Baseless-its based on the bible
      Its not factless-He or she has given you the facts of what constitute the article
      Its not about bribing God its about the ability to totally surrender and trust Him, you try living without any income for a month and then youll understand. God Himself said in the bible…TRY ME! Why shouldnt the wtriter take God on His word?

• Missy

August 2, 2011 at 2:48 pm

my dear I tire! written is saying there was no love in my chastisement….I guess u skipped the last thre lines of my post….Thanks “Mochi!!!

28. cathy

August 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

definitely GOD is not a money doubler but these things sure work as hell, i am made to understand when you do all you are suppose to do he then proves himself.

29. ugowoundo

August 1, 2011 at 5:05 pm

(150million*First salary)-(75million moslems)=pastor smiling to the bank…..nice one!!…THE EARTH IS JUST ONE BIG JUNGLE AND THE SMART ONES REMAIN AT THE TOP OF THE FOOD CHAIN

• Sett

August 1, 2011 at 9:36 pm

LWKMDFHO

30. Lola x

August 1, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I think money’s neither good nor bad! It’s the people who embody these characters and money just makes these characters manifest a little to the extremem in people! (Good people seem better and bad people seem worse!). People need to stop blaming inordinate objects for their/other’s wrong(or right) doings…

Lola x, London

31. Chika

August 1, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Okay, I don’t know about your first fruit. I know you can definitely challenge God with whatever that is very unsual for you to give. I had to challenge him with everything I had in my account because, I felt like he was already stripping me of all the money I saved up with countless of problems. After dropping the money off at church that Sunday, that week, I got the job I’ve been praying for. So, it works.

• Missy

August 1, 2011 at 5:53 pm

nice!!

32. Dolores

August 1, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I do not understand. How can you “give God money” in exchange for more money? How do you “challenge God with money?” So faith and prayer is not enough? This is all I’m reading here and it is baffling. So, all you have to do for God to answer your prayer is pay him? I would sincerely like an explanation because this is doing my head in.

• Sassy

August 1, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Dolores dearie, to say am pained at the picture people are painting of God is an understatement. What the heck is wrong with all of you, claiming you dropped money in chucrch and God turned your life around….What?!!! Please stop, breathe and think . . . Do you want to tell me that prior to all your first offerings and tithings you were ignored by God? So if you take your monthly tithe and sow it into a live that is struggling or dying, God still won’t bless you?
      I don’t know the God you all claim you serve, but the God that I believe in through his son jesus christ does not need my kobos or millions, but my love, faith and praise. Please get it right and stop being brain washed!!!

• jcsgrl

August 2, 2011 at 12:28 pm

Thank you oh. Thats all I was trying to say! We have turned God to native doctor. I dont have a problem with tithing and first fruits. I just have a problem with the motives and the teachings or so called revelations ppl get out them like stated in this article. If I give God firstfruits, its an act of thankfulness for whatever opportunity he has provided or done for me. If God decides to reward me financially or not, its all good. It was done out of thankfulness and love! God is always a rewarder of those who deligently love and serve him. However, the rewards can come in different ways not necessarily materialistic. The author needs to get deeper understanding and not stay in an elementary level. Milk is good for babies, bread for young adults, and meat for real adults. Time to move on to the meat of God’s word!

• Missy

August 2, 2011 at 3:25 pm

LOL!!!…some faith you’ve got there that you had to write you dear Saviors name in lower case even Dolores’ name is started in caps..lol!!…an offering of ur substance in this case your millions with match perfectly your cute praise, love and faith…smh…pls go back and read your Bible..am sure u are already blessed, dint need Ejire’s kind of faith challenge to get to where u are….but read some Deutronomy, Leviticus, A bit of the new testament Gospels esp where Jesus Christ “our” :-)) Lord commented on the widow who gave the largest offering of the all the mite she had and hei….come to think of it sef your millions might not count cos its sacrificial giving that moves Gods hands…u dont have to believe it…u are blessed already…enjoy!

33. BubblyBliss

August 1, 2011 at 6:25 pm

God is truly amazing! I have a job interview this week after so long and I believe I am going to get the job. So I spent the weekend trying to figure out what the first fruit offering to God was. I decided that i would give half of my first salary on the job but my mind still wasn’t settled. So I asked God for an answer and your article was the first thing I saw on Bella Naija today. God bless you for sharing this.

• Missy

August 2, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I know some peeps here will crucify me but my dear honor and worship God with your first fruit…even though Ejire had a contract issue at some point and was paid peanuts for a whole year…but dont worry dear…just TRY God and see!

34. Babe

August 1, 2011 at 6:30 pm

While I do not believe God is “father christmas” or anything of that sort, I definately agree that tithing and first fruit works. For me, I havent gotten that dream job yet but I can say God has been faithful in very many ways…For instance a little favour here and there…spending and it seems like the resources will never go down, etc. Our God is faithful jare…there’s no doubting that.Shikena!

35. Kemchi

August 1, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Well done Ejire! Good testimony. Your faith and the works of your faith have yielded tangible results for your life. I believe your testimony will do one of two things. It will cause some to do d same and for others well… your guess is as good as mine.
    Let’s not misunderstand d purpose of d testimony. There are tons and tons of verses in the bible that shows us that God is indeed ‘Father Christmas’, (Solomon, anyone?, the blessings he commanded on the Israelites in the wilderness etc etc). However, I think d problem lies in people simply focusing on prosperity as d sole take away message from the Bible to the detriment of everything else. That does not mean we should not testify of God’s goodness when we receive it, neither does it detract from the fact that God can bless us abundantly beyond our wildest imaginations!
    Perhaps there are other testimonies you have about other things which God has done, but today you chose to share with us d one about financial blessings. Well done!

36. zegzy

August 1, 2011 at 6:53 pm

God blessed you abundantly because u gave your first full salary to the church, that is great. What happened to your friend or the other millions of people that gave pay their tithe? How come God has not blessed them as much? Why are they still in poverty. Point it God’s blessings in your life has nothing to do with your tithe payment (don’t let the pastors deceive you). I’d rather use that money to feed the hungry than put it in another man’s pocket. Just saying.

37. Sett

August 1, 2011 at 9:34 pm

what of those of us who have watached our pastors upgrade their cars with first fruits yet we the first fruit givers are still cruising the same camry? u go soon talk say my faith no reach ba?

38. Kofoworola

August 1, 2011 at 9:50 pm

God said to bring your tithes and offerings into HIS HOUSE not to give it to someone strugging. He also said you should help out anyone in need thats in your power to do so-they are two seperate things! If God says you should bring in your tithes and offerings and see if He wont open the wndows of heaven and pour you blessings,why wont you take Him on His word?

• Sassy

August 2, 2011 at 4:08 am

The ironic thing about first fruits and tithes are that, they are injunctions from the old testament which i believe is more convenient for our pastors to accept. where in the new testament is any mention of tithe and first fruits? I am not trying to start an uprise but i am just saying be watchful about things. They are some many doctrines in the old testament that we do not follow but the emphasis on TITHING by pastors is beyond me!!!

• Kemchi

August 2, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Well there’s the mention of tithes in the book of Hebrews; Firstfruits several times in the New Testament, albeit in a somewhat different context.

• tatafo!

August 2, 2011 at 9:14 pm

Actually Hebrews 7:1-10 talks about tithing. The writer references the old testament which implies that he/she still believed in the principle of tithing. The whole of Hebrews 7 is a case for the old testament law.

• Kofoworola

August 4, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Well, i guess we shouldnt lay claim to the promises of Abraham either or all the Promises God made to ALL who would follow His commandements in Deuteronomy., Yes, we are not under the law antmore but even the Lord Jesus quoted Isaiah to establish that He was the expected One. Pastors or no pastors, its a commandement of God to tithe,leave the ‘stealing pastors’ to God

• dammybaby

August 2, 2011 at 4:30 am

you r blessed my sister. Its just dat simple. God said it not Ejire.

39. Mide

August 2, 2011 at 12:28 am

God works in a miraculous way..until we tap into that rem, we ll never know how deep, far n wide his blessings could go in our lives..ts all about understanding his words……good article…

40. jezz

August 2, 2011 at 8:03 am

Let’s ask ourselves, is tithing d only commandement in d Bible? So, y do most pastors dwell on it sunday after sunday? Selfish purpose. Sometimes, they sound as if God blessing u depends on how much u give, which we all know isn’t true. If God will bless u, He will.
    Besides, wat exactly do these pastors do with all d money that comes into d church? Why
    do pastors fight themselves, even drag themselves to court over a particular position, again, selfish purposes! Their congreagation enter okada 2 church some wit no hope where d next meal will come from n u blackmail them into God won’t bless u if u don’t bring money.
    Hw many pastors even pay tithes, see children roaming on d strs looking for help, dy rely on their congreagations to donate everything.
    My people, d only message Jesus came to preach ws love, and if anyone doesn’t practice love, then he’s not of God!

41. jezz

August 2, 2011 at 8:24 am

Let’s ask ourselves, is tithing d only commandment in d Bible? So y do pastors sleep on it, sunday after sunday? Selfish purpose! Ur congregation enter okada to chutch and u blackmail them saying God will not answer ur prayers if u don’t bring money. Ever wondered why pastors fight themselves n drag themselves to court over a position? Again, selfish reasons!
    My dear people, if God wull bless u, He will bless u, I personally don’t think it has much to do with tithing. Ask ourselves, wat exactly do they do wit all d monies that come into d church? How many less privileged children/widows in church do they really cater for? Only to build universities n collect half a million as tuition n buy private jet, sad. The only message Jesus came to preach is love, so, anyone who doesn’t practice ove isn’t of God!

42. my day

August 2, 2011 at 9:29 am

Everybody’s relationship with God is personal. he might not relate with Mr. A as he relates with Mr. B. One could pay all the money in his account to God and still not get as much ‘results’ as the other who payed what in relative terms could be called small. It’s about your faith and your relationship with God, afterall obedience is better than sacrifice. I believe in tithing, first fruits and all, but i dont believe God will strangle me once i stop giving him those things. I see paying my tithe more as an act of obedience than sacrifice. I might tell the odd lie once in a while, hurt my neighbour with my tongue sometimes, but God is always faithful. He doesnt ignore me once in a while, or hurt me once in a while; and so i decided to devote something in my life to his service,and try to be faithful in that thing without giving excuses. That one thing is my tithe. I am not doing it because i think that’s the surest path to make it to Forbe’s List of richest folks. No. It is a matter of obedience and trying in my own little way to match God’s faithfulness to me without letting even my natural tendencies to sin interfere. And yes…tithing is actually a money doubler. It happens to be a consequence of that act of obedience, especially when done out of Love for God. And so to Dolores and others, It is not a bribe to God, neither is it a down payment for anticipated ‘breakthroughs’. I have chosen it as a way of being faithful to God. Any consequence of that act is just like ‘jara’ for me. Because even if i dont get double my pay, or even a little extra, or a new well-paying job, i would still pay my tithe because God remains faithful to me whether i give my tithe, read my bible everyday, speak in tongues, sleep in church etc OR not.

43. Hiswordistrue

August 2, 2011 at 11:25 am

@Mide, u must be a MOG. lol @ tap into dat rem

44. badcase

August 2, 2011 at 11:34 am

@Mide, u must be a MOG. lol @ tap into dat rem.
    thanks Ejire for sharing but u would hv rated this write-up.
    its not 4 the milky teeth.

45. faith

August 2, 2011 at 3:24 pm

OUR MISTAKES/MISUNDERTSANDING;
    2)we shuldnt give out our first fruit as a sacrifice without God asking u to.
    There r oda methods of seeking d face of God
    1)go down on your knees n pray consistently
    2)cry like dat woman dat was looking for d fruit of d womb in d bible
    3)fast if u can
    4if u turely must give,den give to the needy in our society
    5)be attendtive to d voice of GOD…HE WILL TELL U WAT TO DO.
    6)shame on all of u that av enriched the lifes of ur fellow men thinking they r men of God.

46. Uju G

August 3, 2011 at 9:52 am

Awwwww!!! I really love this … Not claiming self righteousness but from experience, I just hold unto two words LOVE and FAITH. Just love God, and let him know it at every opportunity you get, at least for the gift of life; If you really love someone, you give without expecting right? you give because it makes you happy and probably makes the recipient happy – and the recipient happiness in turn makes you happy right? k.. if you agree .. apply same to God … when you give, give with your heart, give what you know you can afford regardless of what other people are giving … give with love and happiness because you are thankful and not because you are expecting anything back .. and watch God embarrass you with his love.
    Secondly, when you have FAITH in God, you always put him first before taking any action … he will surely lead you through … you will NEVER!!! go wrong .. you may feel disappointed today because you did not get what you desired .. but the lord said “my plans for you are of good and not of evil” and so he will never lead you astray .. remember heaven and earth may pass away but the word of God remaineth forever … he knows what is best for you .. if you are undergoing difficulties now and you informed God beforehand … hush!!!!!!! no need to worry, he is preparing you for something bigger and better … and from experience when i ask God for things and i don’t get it, i always get revelations that i am grateful for afterwards .. it’s either- i would not be able to handle what i was requesting for or i deserved better .. he knows you better than you know yourself … I can go on and on (like radio without battery ..hahaha)… I just love that BIG MAN UP THERE 🙂

AS for your quote “sleep is one true cure for an upset state of mind” .. i refuse oh .. i would re-phrase that … Crying is one true cure for an upset mind ….ahhhh big relieve, then you MAY sleep afterwards ..lol.. Love you article 🙂

47. ib

August 3, 2011 at 10:42 am

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the law in which all Israelites were to give 10 percent of everything they earned and grew to the Tabernacle/Temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). It is understood as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system. The New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. Paul states that believers should set aside a portion of their income in order to support the church (1 Corinthians 16:1-2).“It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of bondage”Many religious leaders who found churches today do so to enrich themselves. They are motivated by a desire for money, and so they commercialize the Christian religion, whereby they lay all kinds of burdens on people for selfish advantage. They pervert the Scriptures and create unnecessary fear in people, thus bringing them under a kind of religious bondage.

One of these yokes of bondage is the imposition of tithing on people. To achieve their aim, they threaten people with the curse of Malachi 3:8-10. They link any evil or calamity that befalls a person with non-payment of the tithe or unfaithfulness in the paying of the tithe. People have been made to believe that sickness, loss of job, barrenness or any suffering that man may experience is as a result of failure to pay the tithe. Also, men are made to believe that it is by paying tithe that blessings are received from God. In a similar way, the Scribes and Pharisees of Jesus’ day laid a load of religious responsibilities on the Jews (Matthew 23:4). The only scripture passage, it seems, that some pastors and churches know today, is “bring all the tithes into the storehouse.

For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. So why will he use how much we give to determine how much we love him.

• Kofoworola

August 4, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Can i point out that even UNBELIEVERS believe in tithing ten percent of your income????

48. faith

August 3, 2011 at 11:26 am

”ib” i love u…u ve said it all….

49. Home Improvement

September 29, 2011 at 1:14 am

This could be your greatest article I have ever seen

50. Lasik

November 8, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Extraordinarily well written read.

51. Gidi

November 8, 2011 at 9:25 pm

I have a question for all those saying we should leave the stealing pastors to God.
    Should we also leave the stealing political leaders to God?

52. Agricultural Engineering college

February 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Thats an all around amazingly written piece!

53. free facebook likes