News

Stormy Lagos! Rain & Gusty Winds cause Damage in Lagos – Photos

Lagos, the commercial capital of Nigeria faced a sudden storm this morning, Monday 13 February 2012. Rain and gusty winds ripped off roofs and caused destruction of infrastructure including street lights and antennae in the city.

According to the AP, at least one person was killed – “An Associated Press journalist saw the corpse of one man on Ikoyi Island, apparently killed when a fixed antennae tore away from its cement base and struck him in the head.

BN was on the move this morning and spotted fallen trees, street signs and antennaes. See BN exclusive photos plus photos circulated via social media below.

Antennae at PHCN Ikoyi

Trees – Ikoyi

Road Sign on Car

Were you affected by the storm? Let us know.

Photo Credit: BellaNaija.com | Twitter

1. Bolanle

February 13, 2012 at 11:50 am

Wishing everyone well from London! Hope nobody else has been hurt! 🙁

2. ruth

February 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

im here first: this is serz !

3. Oma

February 13, 2012 at 11:52 am

God help us oh.
    And the rains have only began.
    Someone even called it “Hurricane Iyabo”

• esan job

February 13, 2012 at 4:07 pm

we should pray dat God should help us.

4. iya oloja

February 13, 2012 at 11:53 am

Wow…this is really serious!…my heart goes out to those who’s lost life or property…usually when it rains in lagos we have something similar some days in Accra…hope we don’t get something this serious…

5. Tiki

February 13, 2012 at 11:54 am

That last pic aint exclusive na, BN! Saw it on twitter 2 hours ago.

please keep some of us in other countries updated, we wanna be sure our loved ones are safe. Thanx mucho.

• BellaNaija.com

February 13, 2012 at 11:55 am

The exclusive photos are tagged with the BN logo and we gave photo credit (as we always do) for the additional photo.

6. show some love

February 13, 2012 at 11:58 am

apparently hail stones fell as well

7. bcgeorge

February 13, 2012 at 12:39 pm

My office gate wasn’t spared so also a couple of offices nearby us here in Lekki. It’s totally crazy from Lekki toll gate, i noticed fallen mast just by the toll gate, the mobil house secret post was blown off and there were reports from colleagues of similar incidents from Marwa bustop down to Agungi, just before Chevron round-about.

• sikira

February 13, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Bisi post pictures now

8. Abdullatee

February 13, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Subhanallah, what a storm.
    this is natural dissaster people, don’t raise unnecessary panic cos that might be dangerous.
    I pray to Allah give sucour to those affected and put an end to this. EKO O NI BAJE O!

9. Sheila

February 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm

wow…people need to stay safe.

10. poisonivy

February 13, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Wow….All dis happening on the island and nothing of such not even rain in ikeja thank God

• molarah

February 14, 2012 at 2:59 am

Abi! It was only a slight shower on the Obanikoro/Anthony axis.

11. dimma

February 13, 2012 at 1:38 pm

oh my,i saw tweets from people in lag this morning but i didn’t know it was this serious. i pray it doesn’t get worse.

12. Noble

February 13, 2012 at 1:43 pm

God will save us

13. frances

February 13, 2012 at 2:20 pm

my heart goes to the people affected

14. onyx

February 13, 2012 at 2:29 pm

That last photo … wow. And I imagine this is just the start of the tropical rains. God help our land.

15. IGBOFILLE

February 13, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Meehn all I knew was that when I was driving to the office around 7am this morning it was as dark as 7pm here in Ikeja but there was no single drop of water on the ground only for my mother to call me from the east that rain fell in Lagos and killed people. I was still wondering until i saw it on BN. Bella please keep it up, as in bringing out news immediately it happens. I appreciate.

16. pynk

February 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm

the rain was crazy. The wind was howling like demons possesed.

17. kenny

February 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm

may god save us in naija

18. Omo

February 13, 2012 at 3:39 pm

OMG!! The car with the road sign..I hope no life was lost

• salome

March 8, 2012 at 1:31 am

This ȋ̝̊̅§ serious oh,may God Jйʃ† help us and ℓ̊ tank him cos nobody died in †ђξ camry,if U̶̲̥̅̊ know Ђδω †Φ serve God pls do in truth and in Spirit

19. eye

February 13, 2012 at 3:44 pm

God help us o!

20. Nk

February 13, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I was surprized when I came 2 Ijesha dis morning n saw buildings deroofed because of the rain. I did not rain atall in Ikeja where I stay.

21. Hausa babe!

February 13, 2012 at 4:03 pm

i ve lived in Lagos for over 20yrs & none of such has happened.it was quite scary watching from my window. the Govt needs to take precautions on unexcepted events like dis. Eko O’ni Baje

22. jhummie

February 13, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I Stay in Ijesha…….it was really bad!!!! But Thank GOD still.

23. No, na me talk am

February 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm

It was a severe thunderstorm. We get these in Atlanta almost every time it rains. Trees falling on cars and houses, downed power lines, roofs getting torn off. The weather service in naija isn’t used to things like this, so they were probably shocked by it as well. During a severe thunderstorm, everyone needs to stay indoors on the lowest floor of the building, away from windows. It looks like it was just gusty straight line winds probably sustained at the 35-40 mph range with the damage it caused. It’s so strange to see this happening in Africa. Luckily there was no rotation in the storm cell. We get rotating thunderstorms here, and thats how we get tornados every spring. Well naija houses are built with cement blocks so they’re safe. If it was pako houses like yankee, your house will just be creaking like it wants to scatter. Craaaaaaazy!

24. Gift

February 13, 2012 at 4:59 pm

hmmmmm …and I am planing to relocate to Lagos anytime soon. I need to do a serious rethink.

25. lanre

February 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

we thank god dat i does not affect other part of lagos it could have being more serious.alhamdulilah

26. Ice queen

February 13, 2012 at 5:57 pm

OMG didn’t realize the rain was this heavy

27. kcee

February 13, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Lagos should prepare for a storm as big as the one last year or even worse so that they won’t be taken unawares. Maybe this is just a warning of what to come. I wish the best for all Lagosians these coming rainy season.

28. Nollywood

February 13, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Damnnn I feel bad for that car

29. chinco

February 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Hmmm…I steppd out of my house(in festac) on my way to work and to take my sis to the airport and the car wouldn’t start. Then the winds howled and the rain started. Under that terrible rain we tried to solve the car problem, it was a nightmare, we had to go back in, change our clothes and set out again. And u know d crazy part, d car started immediately the rain stopped about 40mins after. Call me a freak but I felt that all happened for a reason sha. I just thank God for life and health (even though I was late to work and my sis almost missed her flight back to london)

30. T Black

February 13, 2012 at 11:49 pm

it rained ICE in surulere… saw it wit ma eyez n i picked up d ICE wit ma handz…. av neva xperienced such in Lagos.
    dis is scary………

31. Africa22

February 14, 2012 at 6:47 am

Saw the entire roof of a massive building sailing over houses all the way to the busstop where it landed in the middle of the road, still intact. God is so wonderful, it fell on no one, no car, no house!

32. Ginika

February 15, 2012 at 11:01 am

The end is near, I’m no prophet of doom but thats what I feel. Weather patterns are changing all over. A few weeks back, Europe recorded some record dropping temps. People are living outrageous and sickening lifestyles.

I guess because we have been waiting for the return of Christ and He hasnt come as yet, people are becoming impatient and are tired of waiting. People who are still trying to hang unto Godly principles are beginning to look like fools.

I pray that God protects us all, as we wait patiently for His return. His Grace is sufficient for us all.