Events

Fashion Training Outfit – Martwayne Presents its Fashion Entrepreneurship Course Themed “Colours & Fabrics”! Register Today

The relentless fashion retail, consulting and training outfit –  Martwayne is back again with its Fashion Entrepreneurship Course (FEC), this time bigger and better.

This course themed Colours & Fabrics, will see fashion designers, business professionals, interior decorators, brides to be and event planners learn more extensively about colours and fabrics and how to combine them.

You will be taught by skilled professionals on;

• Understanding Colour, its Psychological Effects & How to Effectively Combine Colours
  • Understanding Fabrics, Fabric Properties, Uses & Care
  • Developing Your Colour Wheel & Swatch Book for Own Use
This event is a must attend for all and it promises to be exciting and helpful in enabling all attendees know how to choose the right fabric and colour.

Registration Details
The fee for this course is N 15,000 and it comes with training materials and light refreshments.
Payments should be made to Martwayne Dynamiques Zenith Bank Account.
Account Name: Martwayne Dynamiques
Account Number: 1012233897

You will get a 5 % discount if you pay the fee before or by Wednesday 25th April 2012, if you are a previous participant and if you bring along a friend.

Date: Saturday 28th April 2012
Time: 12 Noon
Venue: Planet One Hospitality, Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Maryland, Ikeja, Lagos
Course Fee: N 15,000
Contact:For more info and general enquiries;

Sponsored Content

1. LPS

April 18, 2012 at 1:51 pm

2. Kim

April 18, 2012 at 2:56 pm

who is behind Martwayne Dynamiques b4 I part with 15k, money is hard to come by these days.

3. tfp

April 18, 2012 at 4:02 pm

sounds gud..yeah..lets hp it turns out as good as it sounds.. n pretty much affordable too..

4. Noms

April 18, 2012 at 4:55 pm

This is really nice but its a whole lot of money 4 just choosing colours and fabrics. As an upcoming designer,this wld v been really nice 2 attend. The Lord shall provide.

5. Luxury Scarves

April 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Interesting!

6. T.Williams

April 18, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Hello Noms,

Many thanks for your comment. It is much appreciated. Perhaps I should explain a bit more about the Course. It is not just about choosing fabrics and colours and I think I should ask the editors of the post to rewrite the contents to enable readers understand what exactly the Course is about as I believe the post does not really highlight the major issues that will be addressed during the course.

As a designer, an important tool in creating a collection is the development of storyboards and concept boards. If you research these tools properly, you will realize that the subject of Colour is vital in developing a successful collection as it is a very important element of design. And what are the elements of design? They are the “ingredients” for creating a successful collection.

Ever wondered why certain colours are chosen for certain seasons? If colour was not so important to designers, then we would not hear comments such as “oh that colour is soooo last season”. However, after speaking with so many designers, I realized many did not understand the impact of choosing a colourway that would create a huge impact on the potential customer. Perhaps that is because many of us are used to the ankara fabric with its fabulous colours and prints. But guess what?! The colour combinations on the ankara fabric are not there by accident or because people will think it looks nice. There is a reason it looks nice and that is from years of studying colour theory and the relationship between colours. For example, have you ever wondered why the Christmas colours, red and green look so good together? As an upcoming designer, it is vital to know this so you can use it to its fullest advantage. You need to understand the impact of how the colours you use for your collection can make or break your collection. How you can use colour to impact the ambience of your collection and make people gravitate towards it and eventually sell out the collection. This is an aspect of design I feel aspiring and even practising fashion designers overlook in this environment. It is not so much about the design but how the different elements of design come together for a pleasing effect.

Similarly, I also discovered that many people do not understand the psychological effects of colour on people and the subliminal messages it passes to the viewer. Which is why I have stated this this course is not just for designers but also for business professionals, interior decorators and anyone who deals with colour. I run presentations for companies on Dressing for Success and job seekers and I have had the privilege of running these trainings for Citibank, KPMG Professional Services, Bank Phb and even the Graduating Students of the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife. During these trainings, I expose people to topics, backed by detailed research on how the colour of the tie you wear can make or break your deal. I have also had the benefit of being in paid employment and I can tell you for free that I observed whilst I was working how these colours impacted people. I knew which colours to wear if I wanted to pick up a cheque from a client, I knew which colour to wear if I wanted to address issues with regulatory officials, I knew which colours to wear if I wanted people to sympathise with me and which colours to wear if I wanted people to fear me. That is because I understood colour then and even more so after fashion school and as a practising designer how colour affects moods, emotions and attitudes of people and their perceptions towards others. And this is also a major component of this Course.

With respect to fabrics, need I say more… We designers, especially in this environment have major horror stories to tell about fabrics shrinking, burning, how to tell real silk from fake silk, which ones would fade, which temperature to steam certain fabrics, etc. And truth is, most fabrics we buy in the market do not come with care instructions so how do we know what we are buying? And how do we prevent ourselves from being duped by fabric sellers. That is what I also address in my courses.

Finally with respect to my fees… well what can I say… I invest a lot in my students and go all out to ensure they have a good experience during the course. Not just the knowledge but the ambience and particularly the training materials I give out. Those who came for FEC 1 will tell you I invited a guest facilitator who offers his courses at N95,000 per head to this course for a mere token. So they got more than enough value for the money they paid and from the feedback form, it was stated how the knowledge gained from their course would directly impact their businesses and that is what I am about. I also had a support facilitator at FEC 2 and each participant, some of who had no prior knowledge whatsoever of fashion, or how to draw left knowing how exactly to go about creating their collections and more importantly how to draw. I have already planned the course this month and I must tell you that I spend weeks developing my courses and trying to combine my knowledge gained in 3 years of a full time BA in Fashion Design, years of accounting experience and utilizing my network of business professionals in 5 hours. And that is because I believe that a lot of fashion designers in this environment are facing a lot of challenges simply because they are not aware of certain things and if only they did, they would do so much more and make so much more money. I also faced those challenges but was able to step back and review my work procedures because of my experience and I also try to pass across these messages both in my in-house courses and my FECs.

All I can say is to be the best at what you want to go into and make money from, you need to understand the industry and more importantly, have a solid foundation in running the business and the foundation is not just the business aspects but you need to be a master of your art. Fashion is an art and to excel at it, you need to invest in the knowledge, same as with every discipline.

In fact tell you what Noms, I’ll give you a challenge. Register for the course and come for it on the 28th. If you do not feel it added value to you, I will give you a 50% refund. But if you do… and I know you will because I can bet anything on this and my students’ and previous participants’ testimonials which are available on my blog http://www.fashionbeyondstitches.com that you will confirm it is more than enough value for money. When you attend, you MUST promise (and I believe you are a person of integrity) to come back and post your sincere comments here on this post as well as on my blog and commit to attending the next one holding 26 May as well (and of course claim your discounts… which will be 10% if you register on time and as a previous participant). I am that confident in my courses and I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

So what says you? Will you take my challenge? If you will, register for it tomorrow or latest Friday and send me an e-mail at [email protected]. But question is how do I prove who you are?!

Looking forward to hearing from you and seeing you on the 28th!

Cheers!

7. T.Williams

April 18, 2012 at 8:46 pm

THANK YOU tfp!!! You totally made my day! I’m glad you think so! Truth is my board of advisers are soooo not pleased with the fact that I am charging N15,000 due to the contents of the course and the huge costs involved in running it but I have resolved to keep it at that price so I can make it affordable. For me , it is about spreading the message. I am soooo glad you think so. So tell me… do I look forward to welcoming you @ Planet 1?! ;-D

@ Kim, LOL!!!! Yes I feel you and money is hard to come by I agree but trust me, this is money WELL spent! Take it from me! And please register on time to take full advantage of the discount. You get 5% off if you register before Wednesday but the sooner the better so I can reserve your seat and you save even more money.

@ LPS, is that a good “seriously?” or a bad “seriously”?” Can’t really tell… Please let me know so I can either jump up for joy or defend myself. 🙂

8. faith

April 18, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Wow!

9. iamfascinating

April 19, 2012 at 6:48 am

10. T.Williams

April 19, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oh… and I forgot to mention…

I am speaking at the Creative Business Expo today, 19th and tomorrow 20th at 11.30am today on the topic: “The 3 Horses Pulling the Chariot”. It is a lecture on Entrepreneurship in the Creative Industries, particularly the Fashion Industry and running a “question and answer” session on how to start your own fashion business at the same time tomorrow. The details are available on http://www.fashionbeyondstitches.com and :

The best part is it is free to attend so you can meet with me in person… or better still come over and listen to what I have to say and if you’re convinced, then you can register for the course instantly and claim your 5% discount.

Venue is White Space, 58 Raymond Njoku, off Awolowo Road, Ikoyi and the time to be there is 11.30am.

Looking forward to meeting with you all in person.

Cheers!

11. pynk

April 19, 2012 at 8:37 am

I can run down the list of designers that can use this course.

12. Noms

April 19, 2012 at 9:53 am

@T.Williams,thanks 4 ur response. I’ll take the risk though I don’t have the money now but I hope to before the registration expires. I’ll introduce myself to you.

• T.Williams

April 19, 2012 at 11:56 pm

Great! I did get your e-mail but couldn’t respond to it because I was at the Expo I mentioned earlier. But I look forward to seeing you there… and the introduction!

Cheers!

13. Edith Nkwocha

April 19, 2012 at 1:33 pm

Hello T,
    Your comments are so true… Many people don’t realize the importance of color theory in EVERY aspect of design. You’re right, color theory is a science – it’s not hit and miss (unless you want to end up looking like a rainbow) which means that once you learn the principles, you can apply them and they will work every time! This course sounds like it’ll be interesting. Good luck!

14. T.Williams

April 19, 2012 at 11:53 pm

LOL @ Edith and Pynk. And you hit it spot on Edith. Once you understand the principles, you can always apply them and as you rightly said, they will work! Thank you so much and hope to see you there!

Warmest regards…

15. Noms

April 29, 2012 at 9:20 am

@T.Williams.Yes,it added value 2 me(in ur own words). I’m looking forward to attending more n I pray 4 more financial blessings. To crown it all,d environment was cool and there was a enough time 2 make meaning contacts (network).

16. T.Williams

May 3, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thank you Noms! Much appreciated. I knew you would enjoy it. And it was a pleasure meeting you as well. In my opinion, the highlight of my day was the networking. The exchange of phone numbers without being prompted was really great. I really look forward to you attending future FECs. And don’t worry… all you need do is register before the deadline and you get your 10% off easy.

Have a great month!