Biire Child and Maternal Health Foundation in collaboration with the Lagos State Agency for the Control of Aids (LSACA) and other stake holders, presents the maiden edition of Lagos Aids Walk – a 10 Km HIV/Aids awareness walk.
This “walkathon” taking place on Saturday 21st April 2012, will see political leaders, religious and community leaders, representatives of corporate organizations, civil society organizations, artistes and students walk from Ebute Meta End of the Third Mainland Bridge through Carter/Adeniji Adele Bridge, Lagos where a large human red ribbon will be formed. The Red Ribbon signifies remembrance, care and compassion for those who are still living with the virus and those who have lost their lives to it.
Leading this 10 km HIV/Aids walk awareness is the Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola (Executive Governor of Lagos State), he will be accompanied by Ashiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu (Former Governor of Lagos State) and Kenneth Kaunda ( Former President of Zambia) who lost one of his sons to the AIDS syndrome.
Others in the lead of the walk are Pastor Ituah Ighodalo (Founder & General Overseer of Trinity House), representatives from the British Council, LAGBUS, LASAA, Afromedia, Admobile, Unilag FM, ElizabethR, Sahara Energy, Protea Westwood Hotel, Total, Cool FM, This Day, Siverbird TV and more.
Aim of this 10 KM Walk
- To raise awareness about existing laws against discrimination and stigmatization of people living with HIV/AIDS
- To advocate for more political will and corporate support towards HIV prevention, treatment, care and support
- To raise funds towards providing support for AIDS Campaigns especially with respect to PMTCT
- To scale up HCT services towards meeting the goal of universal access
This event is targeted at;
- The general public
- People living with HIV/AIDS
- Governments: Federal, State, LocalS
- In-school and out-of-school youths
- Corporate organizations
- Religious bodies
- Civil society groups
- Other stakeholders
After the formation of the Red Ribbon, attendees will then walk to Freedom Park on Broadstreet Lagos where a concert will held. This Concert will give artistes the opportunity to advocate for the need of people especially the youth to live a safe and healthy life with regard to their sexuality. Also at this concert, there will be a free HIV testing and counselling and safe sex materials will also be distributed.
To be a part of the Lagos Aids Walk, register at www.LagosAidsWalk.com
Date: Saturday 21st April 2012
Time: 9 AM
Venue: From Ebute Meta end of the Third Mainland Bridge to Freedom Park, Lagos
Contact: For more info and general enquiries;
- Call 08031907516 | 08191633369 | 08120905667
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com | firstname.lastname@example.org
BellaNaija.com is an official media partner of the Lagos Aids Walk