Features

The “Bridezilla”

Atoke

Before my friend J.D got married, she was ALWAYS online scouring wedding sites for pictures of cakes, colour schemes, wedding dresses, photographers (not your run on the mill photo shop experts oh!), flower arrangements, aso-ebi and so on. She had a million and one ideas of what she wanted for her wedding.

On the wedding day, she was a nervous wreck, she looked like her younger brother stole her car, crashed it into a tree and then a trailer crashed into that car and then lightning struck the car! (Okay, you get my point) – “the make up girl is late”, “why is K laughing all over the place? Do you think he has been drinking?” “why are the engagement people wasting so much time?”. Every time we look at the wedding pictures now I tease her about how she was going crazy because she wanted everything to be PERFECT.

Every bride knows that the stress that goes into planning a wedding can be nerve wrecking. From the minute the question is popped, till you check into your hotel room for your honeymoon, you’re thrown into an uncontrollable roller coaster ride of frenzied apprehension, mood swings and almost psychotic tendencies.

The dress, the groom’s suit, the bridal train… everything is pivotal… the cake, the caterer, aso-ebi, what the families would wear, how to control the crowd, decoration… Have I covered it all? Then again, if you’re having a “destination wedding”, take all the stress that comes with planning a simple wedding and multiply it by a hundred.

Sometimes sharing resources and ideas takes a great deal of the stress away and it gives you direction. So, if you’ve always wanted an outdoor wedding and there’s someone who has walked that road before, it’s always very great  idea to have someone tell you what pitfalls to avoid.

Sometimes it’s NOT going to be as perfect as you want it to be, but at the end of the day, you should be a very happy bride. Everybody knows how much we at BN LOVE weddings, so we’d like to bring BN weddings to you. We’re going to have a BN “Bridezilla” post .

The idea is this – We’re going to do something different with this one and it would involve you, the readers. We’ve got a lot of feedback about how we don’t get a wide enough range of subjects to showcase, so if you’re interested in sharing the high points of your big day with BellaNaijarians, please send an email to [email protected]

It’s going to be a tell-all about what went into the planning of your wedding.

What you’d be expected to share, along with pictures of you on that big day:

• My wedding was on:
  • My wedding was at:
  • I would not have compromised on:
  • The high point of my wedding:
  • In retrospect maybe I shouldn’t have made a fuss about:
  • I tore my hair out when:

I can’t wait to hear from you guys.

Who knows you might even get to see the much awaited pictures y’all have been asking for 😉

Photo Credit: bridalboudoiraffair.blogspot.com

1. ucylo

June 18, 2012 at 3:48 pm

cant wait to start reading ‘bridezilla’ …..thanks bella

• chennegirl

June 19, 2012 at 6:00 pm

awww chichi i miss u ,are u back to ghana

• aboobie

June 21, 2012 at 9:09 pm

abeg take your excitement to facebook or email.

• Mulan

June 29, 2012 at 5:05 pm

lmaoooo Aboobee the HARER aka Hater!!!

2. MizV

June 18, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Yay cant wait. really sounds great.. BN is my go-to site for weddings. For tips on making your wedding a memorable one visit http://www.cakesbymizvuitton.blogspot.com

3. geenarh hally

June 18, 2012 at 3:54 pm

nice one.loving d bridezilla pics.lmao cant wait

4. Melbin

June 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

it’ll be good. We’ll be expecting it.

5. Seun

June 18, 2012 at 3:58 pm

OKAY O. PLS WHEN ARE YU GOING TO POST THE PICTURES OF UCHE EKE (BELLA NAIJA)’S WEDDING TO FEMI PEDRO’S SON????
    WE DEY WAIT OOOOOO. BN TEAM!

• sandra

June 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

yes ohhhh thought it was only me waiting

6. Redcarpetgoat

June 18, 2012 at 4:12 pm

seconded! that wedding pixs has tayed in the cooler, BN pls release it biko!

• Italian Principessa

June 18, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Didn’t she just get married this weekend? I doubt if the couple themselves have seen the official pictures. You people should try cool down small. When the pictures are ready I’m sure you’ll see it!

• I second ur post

June 18, 2012 at 8:11 pm

lol.. I was like.. they just got married.. and there are requests already.. jezz.. lol..Naija people sha..

7. winnie

June 18, 2012 at 4:13 pm

yes our very own Bella is married!!!!!!!

8. feintoe

June 18, 2012 at 4:16 pm

@seun you took the word out of my mouth. BN Team, please we are impatiently waiting to see Bella naija’s wedding pics ooooo. lol.

9. Jade82

June 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Nice….i will do my best to give a good summary on the craziness i experienced during my wedding. When my hubby and i think of it we thank God because without him only God knows how it would have gone.
    When you plan a wedding that’s when all the “over sabi’s” appear, and most especially family members are ready to ‘Rob you Blind’, so beware.

10. obi

June 18, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Bella, we cant wait to savour ur wedding pics. Congratulations!

11. modupe

June 18, 2012 at 4:30 pm

congrats bella on ur wedding, but i think it would have been nice if bellanaija informed us of the wedding along wit just a pic of d couple instead of most of us seeing the wedding pics on other blogs.

12. Atukpa

June 18, 2012 at 4:33 pm

My wedding was on: April 29, 2010
    My wedding was at: The Events Center
    I would not have compromised on: Crowd size and decor
    The high point of my wedding: Driving to church, i couldn’t stop smiling if i tried.
    In retrospect maybe I shouldn’t have made a fuss about: The MC
    I tore my hair out when: when i heard the MC speak

• Justmeee

June 18, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Are you for real???

• Well Heeled Pair

June 20, 2012 at 3:49 pm

ROTFL this just floored me. That’s just messed up!

13. fokasibe

June 18, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Please let’s see about Bella’s Wedding….This article should park well first. Until I see pictures, you wont hear pim! from me..

• ella

June 19, 2012 at 11:02 am

I second you..they want to hear our story without producing any wedding edition for us to see

14. Partyrider

June 18, 2012 at 5:00 pm

You guys that are crying for Uche’s wedding pictures,I am very sure the couple haven’t seen them either.they got married one and half day ago,so how will the pictures be out?
    Plus I’m sure everyone has noticed she’s a very private person..don’t be surprised if she doesn’t put up her pictures sef..lol

Well I’m looking forward to the post.,at least for good laughs not that I have wedding on my mind at least not for the next 6yrs and above..lol

15. ike

June 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm

@ Fokasibe, u must be feeling like Bella Naija chief commentator, Who wants to hear pim from u sef? hehehehehehe, there ‘s nothing d eyes wont see on dis BN dis days o.

• fokasibe

June 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Actually, I dub our one and only THE AMAKA BN’s chief commentator. As for who wants to hear pim from me, I have one answer: ATOKE!!! hahahahahaha!

16. BIMBY

June 18, 2012 at 5:06 pm

I’m waiting to read more on Bridezilla. BN team rocks!

17. Tobechid

June 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Haha Bella, see what you started- You’ve got to satisfy the cravings. I’m scared for you though,with your wedding coverage, and this constant clamor for Bella’s pictures, I fear people may have elevated you to such a pedestal.

18. Fauzy

June 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm

im waiting to learn frm dis new feature cos i do av d xtics of a bridezilla. ma sis in law always tells me im like dat

19. mhydhe

June 18, 2012 at 6:31 pm

My wedding was on may 19,2012.
    My wedding was @ Maersk House on loius solomon close,beside silverbird VI.
    The high point of my wedding was dressing up and really looking forward to the day but unknw to me that my reception venue has been disorganise due to the heavy down downpour on that day and no body told me. All my girls where laughing with me assuring me that am gona have a perfect wedding day day. Meanwhile among yhe 8 canopies that where erected rain had carry 6 out and the decoration guys had to start removing their seat covers cus it so wet people can’t seat. All dis I was not aware of until I got the reception and I was like what’s this. Belief me u I cried when I saw it. As in serious tears cus it has spoil all d xpensive decor and I was nt mysef all thru the ceremony. I only summon up courage to snap pic biut my mind wasn’t there @ ll.mind wasn’t there @ll. I will send u d pic later.

• kiki

June 20, 2012 at 2:16 am

Sheesh! Did you read what you wrote????

• ant

June 20, 2012 at 8:32 am

My dear, this “heenglish” wey you write for here cost no be small! Damn, did you read this thing at all?

• Tosin

June 23, 2012 at 7:59 am

Tears in my eyes from laughing. Thanks for the story, hope you can laugh about it now. If it’s still paining, pick a date – Val’s day, I’m pregnant day, birthday, and have the perfect Wedding Part 2. Hint: you won’t need 8 canopies for this one.
      The other bridezilla with the hammazing MC – looool. Guys, why not just drink and dance the day away, let your parents or in-laws or planner worry about table-cloth and ofada rice?

20. chibugo

June 18, 2012 at 6:46 pm

i’m a big fan of weddings. oh, i cant wait to see Bella’s! BN rocks! I really pray to be blessed enough to one day have my wedding pictures on BN. as for bridezilla, i’m waiting… with bated breath.

• Italian Princess

June 20, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Hian! is it that serious? reash toh be prayer point? Toh!!!! To each his own indeed!
      Aweeee blessed enough to one day have my wedding pictures on BN! Toh!!!!

21. Abs

June 18, 2012 at 8:16 pm

@modupe. My exact thought when i saw it on another blog. We should have read about it here first. Congrats anyway. http://www.abadawoode.blogspot.com

22. iamfascinating

June 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm

HML Bella, I really do wish you God’s favour in your marriage.

23. NNENNE

June 19, 2012 at 12:44 am

Congratulations Bella! I would love to see those pictures but do what makes you happy.Show it only if it is ok with you. Some people are just private. I very much understand.

24. faith

June 19, 2012 at 7:42 am

♍γ̲̣̣̥ first wedding was a disaster….when ever I tot of I cried…put ♍γ̲̣̣̥ second wedding was perfect….learnt a lot from d first 1…

25. Ama

June 19, 2012 at 10:14 am

@Faith you are married twice? wow

• Gimmer

June 20, 2012 at 9:12 pm

and so what? geez…what is wow about that? what a douchy comment.

26. MizV

June 19, 2012 at 10:25 am

@mhydhe I so feel you on that one. My friends wedding was about 2 weeks ago and she already spent so much on decor anf everyfin just for the rain to spoil everything. she was so sour all through the day men i felt so bad for her. For tips on how to survive rainy day weddings do visit http://cakesbymizvuitton.blogspot.com/2012/06/its-my-wedding-day-and-its-raining.html

27. bebe

June 19, 2012 at 10:48 am

@bellanaija: Can you do a feature, same format specified; but without the photos. I’m here speaking with my colleagues, they want to share their stories, but they are shy. They don’t want their photos online, and their husbands are not in support of posting photos online also.

28. yk

June 19, 2012 at 1:04 pm

My wedding was on: 21st April

My wedding was at: Ikeja

I would not have compromised on: My make up artist

The high point of my wedding: First dance with my hubby

In retrospect maybe I shouldn’t have made a fuss about: The decor

I tore my hair out when: I saw d crowd. Enough people i didn’t invite showed up..
    why would u go to a party u weren’t invited to? If some1 wants a small wedding, people should respect that and shouldn’t get angry if they weren’t invited..Plus some pple wey no get shame still showed up…smmhhhh

29. geenarh hally

June 19, 2012 at 3:58 pm

HML bella .i dint even knw n BNigerians werent invited#sadmuch but so excited for u..God bless ur union

30. naija

June 19, 2012 at 4:09 pm

you guys can see pictures of bella’s wedding here http://fabmagazineonline.com/?p=90912

31. Pendo

June 19, 2012 at 6:25 pm

foolroof methhod for stress free wedding planning think of it as a really really huge birthday party lol

32. Nnenna

June 20, 2012 at 12:13 pm

LOOKING FORWARD TO BRIDEZILLA!!! YAAAYYYYY….. Sorry to the chic whose canopies got blown away…woow, its crazy alredi n d first post isn’t here yet….. *patiently waiting* BN bera follow up on such stories…

33. ifeoma n.

June 20, 2012 at 12:17 pm

pls post uche’s wedding abeg!!!!!!!

34. Tolu

June 20, 2012 at 6:40 pm

Wedding date: June 2012
    Wedding location: A chateau in Dordogne Bordeaux, France
    I would not have compromised on: My dress, rings, and decor
    High Point of my wedding: Seeing my husband at the top of the aisle. He looked so happy to see me. The other high point was seeing the decor before everybody else.
    I shouldn’t have made a fuss about: The seating arrangements. At the end of the day, everyone sat where they liked and there weren’t any problems
    I tore my hair out: When the photographer was refusing to co-operate. In retrospect it was more of a language barrier and I was butting in, in my own way of staying on top of things. I haven’t seen the pics yet, but I know they’ll be amazing as the photographer came well recommended and I have seen his previous work.

35. Maria Chegston

June 20, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Yaaay! I would finally start reading Bridezillas… Comic relief

36. Anonymous

June 20, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Congrats, Bella. She’s very private, doubt she will be posting her wedding pics. Or maybe she’s going to surprise us and post them. I miss seeing wedding pictures. Thank you, Bella, you are doing a great job. I want to see it so bad, the “queen of weddings” got married, we have to see it. Take your time, we will wait.

37. wsb

June 20, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Does anyone know how much it costs to rent the Grandeur events center in Oregun and Lagos City Hall in Onikan for a Saturday wedding? Prompt and accurate responses will be greatly appreciated. many thanks.

38. Anike

June 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

My wedding was on: 16th Oct

My wedding was at: Ikeja

I would not have compromised on: My make up artist

The high point of my wedding: First dance with my hubby

In retrospect maybe I shouldn’t have made a fuss about: The dance after the reception

I tore my hair out when: My father-in-law insisted that we had to leave lagos that evening for my “new” hometown in Ondo state. Apparently they had planned a night party there also so he was adamant. Alas due to bad roads etc we got there very late around 10pm but the funny thing was there was still a crowd waiting. So they just prayed for me and everyone ate and drank and went home. I WAS EXHAUSTED

• funke

June 21, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Hahahaha, sorry dear

39. dunni

June 21, 2012 at 5:29 pm

grandeur was rented to me for 1.4(sat in Dec)

40. Lani

June 21, 2012 at 10:29 pm

is this supposed to distract us from the fact that you haven’t put up a wedding post.
    WE WANT WEDDINGS!!!!!!

• H.A.W

June 22, 2012 at 12:52 pm

lol

41. alexie

June 22, 2012 at 12:18 pm

WEDDINGS~!!!!!!!!!!!!! i jst love d sight of 1,Pls post dem piks,cant w8

42. Nutella

June 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm

To avoid stories that touch, Brides, PLEASE stop planning outdoor events during the rainy season. Geography we were taught in primary school has canged. Spare yourself the heart ache and vexation of spirit by having your event indoors during the rains.

43. Me

June 22, 2012 at 5:53 pm

isn’t this Naruto? -_-

44. HRS

June 22, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Waiting…. Already loving the comments…..

45. FendiOmoh

June 22, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I’m not married yet but I know I am going to be a bridezillla because I am a sticker for perfection.
    I intend spending nothing more than 500,ooo Naira on my wedding, (my husband inclusive of this expense).
    I need 100 people for my wedding (maximum)
    I would not want rice to be served at my wedding.
    I will not spend a ridiculous amount on a gown that i will wear less than 8 hours.
    I will not “throway” my money onn over-rated Mc’s, Dj’s and photographers. Thank you Lord for photoshopping.
    Then, I will have a gift register. if you can afford the gifts, buy, if not, just witness my wedding.
    And do not expect to carry a trailer load of souvenirs home. (the ones you got fromm other weddings are still lying in your store)

Now, awaiting the man that can put p with me

46. zapphaire events

June 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

city hall is 1,200,000

47. princesszee

June 24, 2012 at 6:29 pm

@fendiomoh ; i love ur guts gal, so funny…i gbadun u jor! Besides, its d happiness after d wedding dat matters

48. tavia baby

June 26, 2012 at 12:27 pm

@fendieomoh: I also concur with this plan. Ive started sentizing my mum on this ohh. Max of 100 guests, the gown sef after church service and small dance at the reception, the remaining time, ur seated oh. But ill spend on the photographer part ohh, coz thats the only thing that would remain after all the funfare. As for Rice, people come with te mindset of rice, so we go serve rice. Would tell future hubby that we should use our money and spoil ourselves. I just want a sizeable crowd pere
    Note: Bf isnt in view yet ohh.

49. The White List

June 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

LOL!!!!! Congrats!

50. tee

June 26, 2012 at 11:00 pm

we cant wait for our bridezillas and their tales> i had a 70 man strictly by iv wedding last month, yes! and it was on a Saturday and in lagos! very intimate, everybody had so much fun, i recommend( :

51. ANU

July 4, 2012 at 2:29 pm

My big day is coming and am so looking forward to it, am leaning from all these comments o,want my wedding pix here ,what is the procedures pls

52. rukayat lawal

July 9, 2012 at 9:38 am

lmao pls some shld tell me to stop laughing

53. LPS

July 9, 2012 at 10:24 am

This is free comedy!!!Thanks guys for making me LOL

54. oyin

July 13, 2012 at 9:40 pm

FendiOmoh In my opinion I dont think 500,000 NGN is enough for the hall let alone the food band/DJ or even the decor.. please be realistic babes so your big day will be memorable.

• venus

July 14, 2012 at 2:05 pm

MIND UR BIZNESS….abi r u her wedding planner, shiooo….she did not ask for ur opinion/advice/comments…