Features

BN Hot Topic: To Fight or Not To Fight

When the movie The Avengers opened at the cinemas in Lagos, I was very anxious to see it so I bugged three of my closest friends and off we went to Silverbird. (No I wasn’t going to pay N2,500 to see the movie in 3D. It wasn’t that serious!)

Anyway, as it was early days of the release, the cinema was PACKED. We managed to find four seats next to each other somewhere in the front and the movie started. About 20minutes later, there was disturbance a few seats in front of us and as the noise grew louder I got the gist of what had happened. (Please note that the good people at Silverbird did not pause the main flick for us to watch the slowly unfolding side drama)

Babe A had come to the cinema, was probably expecting her friend and proceeded to put her bag on the chair beside her. Babe B, comes in some time during the movie, looks around, finds no seat but this one with the bag on it and moves the bag and she plops right into the chair. Long day at work I imagine.

From what I could glean, this is how the conversation went.

Babe A : “Someone is coming to sit down there, you can’t have that seat”.

Babe B: “How can you keep a seat at the cinema? There’s no other place for me to sit”

Babe A: “I don’t know but you saw my bag there did you not?”

Next thing I knew Babe A jumped up and started shouting.You lack home training and you’ll come outside and show that lack of home training. You will learn today.  She cussed and issued threats and it was such a distraction from my complete enjoyment of the yumminess of Robert Downey Junior. Babe A stalked out of the cinema and we thought that was the end of that till she came back with the Silverbird security officials (I had to laugh at that point because I honestly expected more… I don’t know.. Mobile Police men, Lastma officials, even Man-O-War guys from NYSC camp sef with all the threats that were issued.)

Anyway, long story short, Babe B sha jejely enjoyed the movie to the end while Babe A took the bag in issue and left.  After the thrill of the movie wore off… (wait no.. the thrill of THAT movie isn’t wearing off anytime soon but I digress again). I thought about the two women and the issue that had come up and it made me think of what I’d do if I was in that situation. If I was Babe A, would I have kept a seat for my friend? I probably would. (Yes, I know this isn’t Faculty Lecture Theatre but old habits die hard!) Would I have made a big song and dance about the space taken? I don’t think so. Does this make me a push over? Well I don’t know. How do you know when to be the bigger person and walk away from a potentially unproductive and embarrassing position? Sometimes, we feel like we’re being taken taken for granted and we just have to prove we’re not fools.

It happens EVERY WHERE. Queues  at the ATM, someone is feeling smart and pretends like he can’t see you’ve been standing there; in traffic, someone thinks you just feel like chilling on the road and decides to cut you off; you’re at TFC trying to place an order and the chic behind you stretches her hand over your head for whatever reason… How do you know when to walk away? How do you know when to respond when someone is trying to have one over you?

What would you do if you were in that situation? How do you know when to be the bigger person on this moral high ground called life?

I leave you with a snippet one of my favorite songs of all time.

The Gambler by Kenny Rogers

Let’s discuss. What do you guys think?

Photo Creditcartoonsnap.blogspot.com

1. ofilispeaks

June 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm

That stuff happened to me at the ATM…we were all lining up waiting for an ATM to free up (there were 3 atms) and I was next inline. Next thing I know, this guy walks up and tries to jump the queue…I am like excuse me sir but we are all lining up here. The guy said (I swear) that he thought we were lining up behind the one ATM and not the other 2….I was like wtf! Are we that stupid that we would line up behind 1 atm and leave 2 free. I think it is a bad mentality of the rules don’t apply to us.

• Anon

June 21, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Dont crack me up plsssss! LOL

2. partyrider

June 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

First BN this is not a ‘Hot topic’ in my opinion..oh well
    on this topic..i always let it go.maybe its my kind of person but i dont know how to start exchanging words or start a fight even when i know i’m been cheated or the person is completely wrong.

• Flex

June 21, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Abeg this a a hot topic jare, it happens everyday. And you actually had something to say on the matter. Well I try to be civil when possible but you know naija… the person that makes the most noise is presumed to be the person in the right.

What if her friend went to get pop corn or use the bathroom… It reach to vex… but maybe not fight

• Partyrider

June 21, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Err that i don’t think it’s a hot topic does not mean I can’t comment on it Na 🙂

Ok let’s both walk away..lol

3. Nike

June 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Babe A should have slapped her friend for keeping her waiting and putting her in an embarrassing situation. Silverbird should also be slapped for selling more tickets than they have seats for

• gurly

June 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

• ameenah

June 21, 2012 at 3:00 pm

thank you, why should they sell more tickets than seats. Ole’s

• Brigitta

June 21, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Exactly..LOL

• Kerie

June 22, 2012 at 7:39 am

The way I interprete the story, I don’t think Silverbird sold more tickets than seats. Babe A’s friend probably didn’t have a ticket yet (unless Babe A bought it, which I doubt).

4. Tabitha

June 21, 2012 at 2:04 pm

So on point…..we all need to know wen to walk away!!!!!

5. Mz Socially Awkward...

June 21, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Haha! I don’t fight, it’s totally not worth it and I can’t be done with dragging myself down to join certain people at certain levels… on a related note, I love that cinemas in the UK give you seat numbers with your ticket. You’re always certain there’s a “lawful” seat awaiting you. 🙂 (although some folk still take your seat anyway, until you bounce them).

However, riddle me this – if the babe keeping a seat for her friend heard the other babe say, and I quote, “there’s no other place for me to seat”, would the logical conclusion not be that her friend couldn’t get a ticket?

• jane

June 21, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I think you just said sometin that everyone else forgot, if there are no more seats, it doesnt mean that Silverbird oversold tickets, its more like the other friend who hadnt come would not get tickets to buy. Based on this, this issue could have been settled quietly without raising issues. even the security officials called should have known that the girl being expected wont be able to join them. Having said that, theres nothing wrong in keeping seats at a movie theater since there ought to be seats enuff for all. What is wrong is keeping seats when the seats are limited like a classroom, or maybe a queue

• person pikin

June 22, 2012 at 9:45 am

She must have probably bought the ticket in advance but did not show up early enough….

6. TobechiD

June 21, 2012 at 2:17 pm

When to walk away. Sometimes it takes a bigger person to do that. I always pray to be the bigger person.

7. adenike

June 21, 2012 at 2:18 pm

@partyrider, I’m partly with you. But the slight difference is this – I’m highly unpredictable. I shock myself sometimes,my unpredictable side would have cussed the hell out of Babe A. I still think Babe A was wrong. I won’t take any silly space for my friend in such a situation, I have a huge phobia for embarrassments. Meanwhile,if i was Babe B,I wouldn’t have plopped myself into that seat (once you tell me the seat is spoken for, I just move on. I hate trouble).

@Atoke, well, there’s a very thin line between acting the bigger person and being a mumu/odensin/pushover.

8. purplepearl

June 21, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Ha i can relate to this, just few days back, i was on a queue in my school printing room, i was next to print, and next thing i know, this asian girl beat me to it , for a second i was dazed at her smartness and i wanted to confront her, but on a second thought, i just let her have her way. Did i learn anything from that incident? Yes, …..Somethings aren’t just worth it, no matter how big or small

• piecesly.co.nr

June 21, 2012 at 5:16 pm

lol….same thing tooo..and it was a damn asian lol…but we ended being ok when i told her to go back of the line. i dont think i can keep quiet o..

9. ofilispeaks

June 21, 2012 at 2:22 pm

O yeah…and I would have kicked his behind! (na play I dey play o…I no fit fight)

10. Ifedola Olojo

June 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’ll let it go, my friend is late there is nothing I can do.

11. John

June 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I would have tried to say Babe A is at fault or Babe B is. But the fact is, most times there isn’t need for all that wahala sometimes. A well-dressed man fell down in Lekki yesterday. Well-dressed in cooperate. When asked what was wrong, he said he was hungry, the brother he came to see wasn’t around and he wasn’t one comfortable with begging. He was sitting on the (minor) road, and it had rained, rushing the food they brought to him.

What’s my point, sometimes this wahalas are soooooooo needless. We should always realise that people around might be having very bad days compared to what we think we are having.

And a more appropriate Kenny Rogers song is Coward of the Country. First stanza, dad wins. Second stanza, dad wins. Third stanza, the bottled-up 20 of trouble comes crashing out. Maybe we should learn something Tommy.

12. John

June 21, 2012 at 2:36 pm

*20 years of trouble*

*learn something from Tommy*

13. tbn

June 21, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I think the scenario presented to us i.e. the cinema issue is quite different from the other scenarios. I mean, keeping a seat for someone who is yet to come from where ever, at the cinema is a different scenario from queueing at the ATM and someone trying to jump the queue. `why do i say so? IMHO i don’t believe it is right to keep a seat for someone who is late while another person who is early is left standing, just because you think you can. So i believe babe A was very wrong and then she had to take it up a notch by being bitchy and thoroughly embarrassing herself in front of everyone. I think this is a lesson we must learn, that one can’t get away with everything… Ive gone to many parties or places where someone will say he/she is keeping a seat for a person who is yet to arrive. MW others who took their time to be early, stand until they are fortunate enough to find another place. Haba! thats not fair now. I guess thats why the silver bird security did nothing about babe B taking that seat because she was clearly not at fault. However as for the queuing scenario it is def wrong to try to shunt the queue, whenever it happens when Im on the queue, I always make sure I tell whoever is trying to play smart nicely, that there is a queue so they should join the queue. If they don’t I may call security (though no one Ive said it to has ever ignored me before), and Im sure because there is a clear case of someone trying to play smart, the security would most definitely tell that person to join the queue like others…. my two cents.

• Ginika

June 21, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Dude, tbn, like seriously when I just read the first line: I think the scenario presented to us i.e. the cinema…” I felt compelled to start sleeping and drooling (had to hold myself); it gave me flashbacks of my varsity lecture days. Have you ever tried sooooooo hard not to sleep and your head decides to fling itself left, right and center without your permission? Or have you ever tried not to sleep, only to realize that you are already dreaming of not sleeping? (Traums I tell you, real traums). You may ask, what has this got to do with what you said? Nothing, absolutely nothing. However, I do agree with your statement (Which I did not complete reading), well written.

• Sandi

June 21, 2012 at 5:20 pm

LMAO OMGOSH, WTH Man???? Are you alright????

• Ginika

June 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm

LOL! dont mind me oo, I typed this during work, feeling bored as hell and just decided to be completely stupid!!! Rather let out the frustration of a dry day on BN than at work 🙂

• Monalisa

July 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Dry!

14. Mz B

June 21, 2012 at 2:49 pm

sometimes you have to speak up! its not always good to be a pushover, not to the point that you end up in a fight but enough to make your view known.

For example when you’re in a queue and someone pushes in, whether on purpose or pure ignorance, you just nicelyy point out “Hi, excuse me there is a queue here we are all waiting” as opposed to “Hey, HEY, what do you think you’re doing are you blind can you not see the queue” lmao although this is what you may be thinking it does not mean you have to say it.

in reference to the cinema incident the girl was rude in the first place for moving someone elses property, if she had respect she would have asked her excuse me can i sit there or is someone sitting there, the worse that can happen is that the person says yes someone is there. just take the answer and move on, don’t embarrass urself and make urself look stooooopid!!!

15. christy

June 21, 2012 at 2:52 pm

@John,ur story s hotter dan BN Hot topic sef.But I wish I could decipher the story more.

16. Ginika

June 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

You know what, if I was babe A, I would have done the moon walk and spun around while grabbing my ‘crotch’ with one hand in the air and screaming: “YEAH!”- or maybe not…. wait, wait I would have done three backflips while doing a bicycle kick in the air and landing in a ‘crouching’ tiger position- no, thats just stupif.

In the first place, I would have let my friend know that if she or he doesnt get their butts there on time, whatever happens happens. Then I would have used some of my saliva to explain to Babe B as politely as possible (which probably involves some hand demonstration, with a passionate voice). After all that, I would vex for the first few minutes that the girl is just a complete mumu and carry on.

sigh…. that is it. Luckily I have not been in a situation that has required me to do some backflips and bicycle kicks.

• Phoenix

June 21, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Lol. Seriously Ginika, whatever it is you are smoking, its potency is 110%. Definitely not the cheap stuff!

• piecesly.co.nr

June 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

am dying on the floor…she said moon walk and grab crotch…dang it..ginika do u have a blog or something..u crack me up…and just made my day. ps am gonna use that move whenever i win in quarrel or funky situation.

• Ginika

June 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

Was just being silly, I dont even smoke anything at all. Just imagine if I did, I would be the ultimate-nonesense talker.

Plus, it isnt that serious, people are analyzing it like it is some law suit.

17. QueenofEverything

June 21, 2012 at 3:11 pm

abeg o… if i’m queueing, you have to wait your turn, if i get there 1st i’m taking the available seat… being the bigger person doesn’t mean letting people step on your toes and get away with it.

18. Nomy

June 21, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I WILL NOT let it go, Babe A should have played it smarter, she should have said “my friend just went out” and Babe B try rubbish, i go ignore am till my friend come, then i go make sure say she get up! Point is, people often think they are smart and a little bit crazy, they need to meet opposition once in a while! And please nobody should even say anything about Babe A’s friend being late after all Babe B too was late so am sure she can relate.

• Ijeoma

June 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Yes, but the second girl still managed to come before the first girl’s friend. I keep seats for friends in cinemas all the time, but if push comes to shove and there are no more seats left, it makes no sense to keep someone standing or seating on the floor of a movie theatre because you’re waiting for someone else. Then again that’s just my two cents. It’s simple really – would you be happy to stand throughout the movie staring at an empty seat that may or may not get filled? If you are…then feel free to not let it go. On the other hand this kind of thing wouldn’t happen if human beings acted like higher animals and just stopped selling tickets once the seating capacity number has been reached.

19. dammylee

June 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Dont know the situation in nigeria cinemas but over in yankee, people have respect for each other. From experience, anytime I go to the movies and my friends are coming or they are going to the restroom first, I keep a space or two for them. The mere fact is that Babe A mentioned it at first to Babe B so why cant Babe B just take a walk. What I dont like is that Babe A should ve been matured enough to handle the situation instead of throwing abuses. It is done everywhere. Been in Nig and seeing how some ladies have defense mechanism and how they are ready to snap scares me alot.

20. benny kato

June 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

@Ginika has killed me today! Can’t stop laffing! And @Nomy’s approach is simply the best. In dis kinda situation, I’ll curse so much nd tell you how ur parents conceived you. (Given that I’m BABE A of course)

21. mma isaac

June 21, 2012 at 3:52 pm

well, if i was babe A all i would do is to tell babe B that someone is on the seat making it clear that whenever my friend comes she has to stand up for her to sit. The problem will then arise when my friend comes and she start playing smart then i will show her that me self smart…

22. Naveah

June 21, 2012 at 3:54 pm

The way the story was first told, the author said that BB moved the bag and just plopped down, it was written to appear that she didn’t ask BA if the seat was occupied…then the author now provides a conversation…which is it?

Okay moving on, we don’t know how long Babe A’s friend was gone, if her friend had been sitting there and had just left to go to the lady’s room or to buy popcorn, Babe B who was LATE should hug a wall! And YES, a person can HOLD a seat in a cinema for another person IF the person for whom the seat is held has bought a ticket! If the person is NOT in the building, that is a different case. Babe A could have handled the situation differently, I am not fighting or cussing anyone out for no reason, Babe B’s attitude probably got her incensed and I suspect it’s because homegirl had probably just picked up the bag and sat her behind down without asking if the seat was someone’s…I tend to believe the first scenario and NOT any of that conversation that the author chose to provide afterwards. If Babe B had shown up on time, she wouldn’t have been there arguing over a seat with anyone.

Some of my fellow Nigerians are very rude and when confronted, they present the most stupid logic I have ear heard in my life. Twice, in Lagos I have had to have a good many words with someone over the issue of standing on a queue…

First case and most mind boggling – I went to a fast food restaurant, there was three of use and after getting our food, we sat in a booth that hold four and since one of my friends was a big fella, let’s say that he needed one side of the booth for himself alone. Now, please abeg picture this o…this guy is standing on line for his food with three people in front of him, my guy just plopped his butt in our booth next to my big friend without even asking. After the shock wore off, we asked him politely to leave, he proceeded to tell us that we don’t own the booth, the booth is for four and so he has every right to sit down, after all couldn’t we see the line was not moving so he needed to sit. Man, coming from the States, I couldn’t even wrap my mind around the logic he presented. I am going to leave what ensued out because suffice it to say, it was not pretty because my big friend has quite a temper.

Second scenario – I am at another fast food chain (what does this say about my eating habit sef LOL) standing on line, when this lady tries to be cute and coming up to my side and slowly inching forward. I told her that she should kindly get on the queue, she asked who I thought I was that she should stand behind me? Was I the queen of England? Is it because I speak of oyinbo English that I think she must stand behind me? Again, I was just baffle at the logic. Everyone has to stand on queue o, abeg even through airport security, doctor, lawyer, banker, teacher, bricklayer, unemployed o all must stand on queue, what has education and the acquisition of foreign accents got to do with it?

I went to Ghana a few years back, I observed how orderly people were at the airport but as soon as I got to MM, JESUS…the madness! We just seem to be people who like to live in disorder, noise and aggression. I wish we could change that aspect of our lives.

• Monalisa

July 3, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Lord! i can’t even start reading this,,,,,,,,,,,,,,**scary length**

23. chinco

June 21, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I think the writer got it wrong by insinuating she would be a pushover 4 not fighting 4 d seat. It is very wrong and childish to keep seats 4 any1 @ d cinema. If u can’t come wit ur date or frend then too bad!

24. Traditionalbay

June 21, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I played the fool, and am alive today. I secured a sit in a car traveling from Ibadan to Lagos, stepped down to ease my self at the park, only to find a man sitting on my space when i returned and they zoomed off. i was angry at first cos the next turn was a bus, like it would take ages for passengers to come. just before our bus got to Ogere we saw bodies everywhere and that car was amongst. yes, i still remember the man’s body in green ankara lying lifelessly. i will play the fool again and again…anyday.

25. Desire

June 21, 2012 at 4:59 pm

U re not even allowed to keep a seat in church much more cinema!
    Same thing happened to me and BF at Ozone, same AVENGERS. The movie was for 9 and we practically rushed in like we were rushing molue buses, infact my BF practically carried me on his head, then we got inside and this gal was keeping 3 seats! my BF gladly ignored her and we sat down but it didnt get messy. When her friends came, they found seats elsewhere. People go to events early so they can get good seats, its not nice to deprive them of it for someone who is still sleeping @ home.

26. chinco

June 21, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Yeah sometimes its good 2 let things go (@ tradbay), who heard abt d lady that escaped the recent plane crash cus some chinese guys(no offence 2 d chinese in general) and their babes jumped d queue to buy the last tickets. The lady and her mom, argued a lot but in the end the chinese entered the ill fated plane. Lesson— make ur point known politely if it doesn’t end in ur favor, let it go, it may save ur life.

27. Turayo

June 21, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Well Babe B was rude for removing Babe A’s bag. Silverbird is wrong for selling more tickets than they have seats for. Babe A was wrong for the threats and yelling in a theater. I really dislike it when people cut in front of you. So far that has only happened in school, high school so I discount that as immature. When adults do it, it’s seriously pathetic. I will tell them there is a line and on most days I’ll roll my eyes. But on that one day I’m in a foul mood, I will tell you off.

28. John

June 21, 2012 at 5:57 pm

@Christy

Somewhere in Lekki, a man fell down. He was well dressed, shirt, tucked in, can’t remember if he was wearing tie.

I just noticed a man sitting on the floor and not looking like he wanted to get up. He looked like one who didn’t know where he was. Completely shaken and all.

A few people gathered around him. And the story was that he had come to see a brother who wasn’t around or something. So he had been walking around since then. Food was brought and he ate like a hungry man. People gave some money to at least travel back to where he was coming.

I didn’t want to tell the whole story. Everyone’s account and all that. Just wanted to make an example with it that most times we just make a fuss over nothing.

We all move around with our different issues. Some everyday issues. Some others more complex issues. It’ll just be best if we let some little things go shah. That’s all.

“Walk away from trouble if you can
    It won’t mean you are weak if you turn the other cheek
    I hope you are old enough to understand
    Son you don’t have to fight to be a man”

Most of us will probably know one of the last lines of the songs.

@Christy hope you’ve deciphered more now?

29. Speak it

June 21, 2012 at 7:35 pm

In my opinion, i thk babe B wz wrong, if only she had asked if d seat belonged to someone before removing d bag rudely maybe she wld ve had a point. Cos d owner of d seat cld ve jst stepped out to d washroom or to get something. Judging from her atitude, i don’t think she’ld accept such. And for Babe A, she shld ve jst respected herself nd let go of d seat when she realized majority of d seats there were occupied nd her friend was no where to be found. Bt NO as they are both naija girls they had to show them selves (drama queens).

30. bee

June 21, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Babe A obviously doesn’t know how to play d game of seat keeping. She should av pretended d bag didn’t belong to her and lets see if babe b would hav sat there anyway.
    I think its just about knowing the environment….. u just need to walk away in certain environs and at odas talk.
    i had a similar incident at d bank and i did not hesitate to articulately scream at d girl (uba lekki) and anytime she sees me at d bank she has d look of wishing i would not come to her counter and i go to her cos i know she will not try that nonsense with me a second time.

31. iamfascinating

June 22, 2012 at 5:32 am

it can be so difficult to walk away but the end result, the stress and drama has made me learn to see that if you reply a mad person, ur both probably alike.

32. Layo

June 22, 2012 at 8:43 am

This happens a lot in my school…either on the ATM queue or printing room or even queuing for the shuttle bus, the most infuriating is the queue at the cafetaria..Holy Moses that one gets the anger outta me…but what can we do…other than to squeeze face like bum-bum and get on with life. But most people just lack sense of reasoning IMO…

33. dammiedee

June 22, 2012 at 10:53 am

Atoke, who did u go and watch avengers with, without me, u will chop cane for this. lol @ FLT

34. Austino Da Whizchap!

June 23, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Mee No Like Wahala O. I Sure Do Know How To Pass The Mic Jor. Afterall, Was Dat Not How An Expatriate Jumped and Beat The Queue, Only To Take Someone’s Seat on The Crashed Dana Airplane. So, You Never Can Tell How Stupidity and Laziness Can Save Your Life. *Wink* Oga Ofili, I See You!

35. SUpreme Queen

June 23, 2012 at 9:32 pm

I was there. The problem I had with Babe A was that she had made too much noise and kicked up a fuss and probably was too embarrassed to sit and watch the movie. If I was her friend I would NEVER go to claim that seat. I point out to people who have cut the line and even though I’m abused a lot of times I wouldn’t stop. However, I draw a line and never respond to insults and don’t engage in fights.

36. Ajoke

June 27, 2012 at 4:49 am

If I was Babe A of course I would have saved a seat for my friend. When Babe B decided to be rude and move my bag I would have told her someone was sitting there, if she still proceeded to sit there I would have let her stay but say something rude to her probably.

But honestly, if I was Babe B I would have asked about the seat and if she said it was taken, look for somewhere else to sit or get your money back, what she did was rude and disrespectful.

It’s little things like this that contribute to the dysfunction is our society, everyone feels so entitled…the government clearly isn’t our only problem.