News

Do Not Wear Red Clothes?! Hoax Text Message causes Anxiety | Pastor Adeboye Denies disseminating Message

Yesterday I received a text message from a respected, elderly family friend asking me not to wear anything red today. Not even my shoes or underwear should be red or have any touch of red.

The message read:

It was foreseen that we should not wear anything red tomorrow or that contains red. Dress, cap, glasses, shoe, shirt, inner or outer clothings. They will not use our blood or those of our relations to redeem Nigeria IJN.

I was really busy when I got the message so I didn’t give it much thought. But I must confess, I sort of did a mental check on what I planned to wear today and when I remembered the black and purple gown I had ironed which was hanging in my wardrobe, I said to myself “OK Ma, I will not wear red.

Later on, when I had time to reflect on the message, I realized how ridiculous it sounded. What did wearing a particular colour have to do with anything? What of people whose official work clothes or school uniforms are red? What if the only underwear you had was red?!

Today, I have heard several versions of the text message. Some say its not just red, but purple too.

Some people attributed the message to Pastor Enoch Adeboye, General Overseer of the Redeemed Christian Church of God. The RCCG on behalf of Daddy G.O as he is popularly known have some out to discredit the story – ”Please inform all your friends and family members that I, Pastor E.A. Adeboye, did not send any message out informing you not to wear a particular color and do not have any issues with whatever color. No message stating you should not wear a particular color was ever authorized by The Redemption Camp or my office. Please be mindful and careful of erroneous messages.

This got me wondering. Why do some people take delight in spreading such mischevious messages that only cause fear and confusion?

What is interesting about this is the speed at which such messages spread and the fact that people sometimes send these messages to as many people that matter to them as possible before verifying.

***

So did you hear about this hoax? Are you one of the guilty people who sent out this broadcast message and other similar ones on BB/Twitter/SMS and Facebook?

Photo Credit: www.en.wikipedia.org

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. d-real

August 9, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Crazy! Very ignorant….

2. Bolaji

August 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Yeah I heard about it but I thought it was just plain ridiculous.

3. Bolaji

August 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Yeah I heard about it but i thought it ridiculous.

4. Eve

August 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Bella, am just hearing it fm u. Pictures were all over twitter of peeps putting on red defying the message against all odds. Its so annoying how we nigerians circulate news witout proper verification. But who in Gods name will ever compose such message self using adeboye’s name?

5. lilz

August 9, 2012 at 3:12 pm

it never got to me

6. Theodora

August 9, 2012 at 3:13 pm

A friend of mine on my bbm contact sent me the ridiculous message,i had to ask please what happens to me cause my work uniform for thursday is a red TSHIRT and i cant tell my employers that i got a message saying i shouldnt put on the shirt…. and the dude replies saying i dont know oh…..i really dont know why people sit down to type such things it really beats me…..

7. LPS

August 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm

8. Gbemmy

August 9, 2012 at 3:16 pm

The red thing is real oooo …. My friend’s phone was blinking red and it’s dead now. People pls beware oooooo…

• Chattyzee

August 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm

LMAO …. you are quite funny.

• Lani

August 9, 2012 at 10:31 pm

LOL

• laide

August 10, 2012 at 12:31 am

lmaoooo

• Double Reasoning

August 10, 2012 at 9:35 am

Be quiet, and stop being a dumb numb skull. what will get a man will get a man…red or no red..

9. atutupoyoyo

August 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

arrant nonsense……..they sent me the message and i just hissed cos i know that is not typical of Daddy G.O. didnt even bother to broadcast to anyone…….when we have a lot of jobless people y wont they have time to compose rubbish inspired by the devil……yeye

10. KathyLiberman

August 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Nigerians just crack me up, if it’s not killer beans, it will be killer Indomie or killer phone number.
    Now it’s killer red dress. Seriously did anyone actually see someone die from these things.

• Gee daY

August 9, 2012 at 3:59 pm

We are just stupid as a people, we cant think for ourselves, thats why evanelical preachers have power as close to the president. we are full of stupidity out here.

11. Chattyzee

August 9, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I know right? simply ridiculous! The one I even hate more are those messages that say “if you don’t want your blessings to pass you by, send this to 10 people” or “if you love Jesus, you will forward this to all your bbm contacts”. More annoying is the one that says “send this to 10 people and watch what will happen to you in 10mins”.
    Finally, what I find most ridiculous and frustrating is that people actually feel compelled to read and forward such message. NONSENSE!

• tith

August 10, 2012 at 6:25 am

You are so right. I usually ignore such messages.

12. @ajiriavae

August 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm

So what is supposed to happen if one wears red? And if it was ‘real’, why didn’t anyone put their name on it.

13. Gee daY

August 9, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Nigerians are so full of “churchianity”, we will sacrifice our children at the sound of a pastors voice. so ridiculous! we need to evolve as a people, think for ourselves in this aquarian age, the rest of the world is not waiting for us. I was preety upset when I recieved the BB broadcast on my phone last night. “said to my wife; watch as Nigerians will spread this like wildfire and probably do a handstand to work while stuffing food in thier noses” as ludacris and ignorant as we can be as a people. sooo stupid

• Lani

August 9, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Gee DaY, do you understand the meaning of aquarian age? Cos if you do, you wouldn’t have used it. For the love of big grammar…….

14. Adedoyin

August 9, 2012 at 4:05 pm

@gbemmy, Lmao..

15. cathy

August 9, 2012 at 4:11 pm

total rubbish! today is ”don’t wear red, tomorrow don’t answer this phone no” haba nah

16. bbb

August 9, 2012 at 4:17 pm

shame on the people who pulled up the BC…. really bad and sad ..i got the message and i trust daddy wont send such messages to people… Its horrible lying on the man of God and forging Talk he never said…God is watching u all

17. nelly

August 9, 2012 at 4:18 pm

i’m expected to wear RED on Thursdays and Fridays, we all had our red t-shirts on and still kicking, pls they shld go and rest with their msgs.

18. peaches

August 9, 2012 at 4:26 pm

got d rubbish msg too and i made sure i wore a touch of red thou i wasnt plannin to,its totally ridiculous d person dat sent such a msg is definitely not a true christin if at all!

19. YummyMummy

August 9, 2012 at 4:27 pm

The point is,their’s no security in Nigeria and a lot of educated people are ignrorant,hence;the need to have Fear;An average Nigerian lives in fear of what evil is going to happen,from Bokoharam,Money rituals people,Kidnappers,Armmed robbers,Hired assasin,fake pastors,Peadophile,Molestation of employees and treating people unfairly.

In a sane society,the person who sent that kind of message will be termed “Mentally Sick”….

20. bimbola

August 9, 2012 at 4:46 pm

so i heard the dumb thing and i actually wanted to wear red today just to see what wud happen but my mother stopped me so i also decided to wear black and purple. the whole thing is just dumb and a bunch of jobless pple must have started it just to have sum fun

21. Chiejina

August 9, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Yes. i heard about it, and even though I did not pass it on cause it sounded crazy, I made sure not to wear anything with red. better safe than sorry!

22. Ifeoma

August 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I know that daddy G. O did not say such thing ,the almighty God will fish dat fellow out and disgrace him or her.God will help we Nigerians .i worn red up an down today because i did not believe the text at all

23. willywilly

August 9, 2012 at 5:37 pm

am just hearing it for the first time o! nawao for this country sef if its not phone number that is killing its sanitary Pad even orange nowadays the reason is that we tend to believe anything we hear and its very bad am wearing RED NOW and am still breathing Lol!

24. tbn

August 9, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I got the bbm on my phone last night, and i thought it was the most ridiculous thing i have heard in a long time. I just laughed and shook my head. Fast forward to today, i pulled out my red top from my wardrobe and wore it! Jeez ignorance will not kill us in this country o. That was how an aunt of mine called me last week to say that there was a message from one of the security agencies that we should not eat orange again, because oranges have supposedly been poisoned by our problematic BH group, the other time it was dont eat suya again for the same reason… I didn’t even bother to argue with her, i just bit down my urge to give her a piece of my mind kind of response and said okay, i’ve heard, thank you ma. kmt!

25. nino

August 9, 2012 at 8:13 pm

I didn’t hear about it. But I wore red today and I am still alive so…

26. austin

August 9, 2012 at 8:31 pm

lolzzzz…… Lovely cpmments ma ppl ecept of Gbemi of course… I didnt fink we still have ignoramus like her dah log in to dis site.. Pls bella naija r nuh for ppl like u Gbemi… D msg came very kate to ma fone and i laffed and laffed and laffed… Arrant nonsense

• Kemisola

August 10, 2012 at 3:39 pm

you are obviously the less intelligent one. Gbemi’s comment was a joke and you took it seriously……duh

• KathyLiberman

August 10, 2012 at 10:06 pm

Austin, you can’t even type in proper conversational English and you have the audacity to call Gbemmy ignoramus. What the heck is “fink”, “ppl”, “cpmments” “ecept”. Did you ever learn how to spell in middle school/primary school because I don’t think you did.

27. austin

August 9, 2012 at 8:33 pm

sorry bout d typographic errors o…. Was rushing to type cos of low ba3

28. lahips

August 9, 2012 at 8:45 pm

I got the message on my blackberry yesterday,and i deleted it,even this morning i had completely forgotten about it,though i had my favourite lipstick on and it happens to be pepper red,well me am tired of all this BB broadcast,some are so crazy,well God help us in times like this.

29. Felix Espero

August 9, 2012 at 11:19 pm

What necessary connection has colour with life or death. Think before you leap

30. rich kid

August 10, 2012 at 1:12 am

Common Guy don’t lie, when u got the message, u checked what u where wearingg abi?

31. hotchoclate

August 10, 2012 at 7:20 am

i saw the message when i woke up in the morning and i decided i was going to wear RED!!!! but unfortunately for the perpetrators of that news i no see red cloth wear so i carried my RED hobo bag. ( let the devil dare near me)

32. Dee.Y

August 10, 2012 at 7:50 am

So i heard o, wat nonsense! I dont knw y Nigeria is full of educated, bt barbaric pple. I decided 2 wear a red shirt ystday 2 prove dem wrong.

33. Izzi

August 10, 2012 at 8:32 am

Una dey go far sef, BN Naija home page color is what……………………. Should they have changed it yesterday? Me didnt wear red ohhhh, not even red pant sef. Better safe than sorry.

34. abby

August 10, 2012 at 9:37 am

I think most people are still excited about this smartphone technology. I remember when I got my 1st BB I could broadcast for Africa!

35. Confidence nwako

August 10, 2012 at 10:16 am

We are ask not to wear anything red but i see some people with red and there nothing happen to them, if i may ask what is the reason why we are ask not to wear red

36. will

August 10, 2012 at 10:36 am

Austin if ur battery is low then y bother us wit those oga oo….and to evry u all knw u aint typing the truth abt not being scared….Naija wit and fake fronting oga oo

37. Ajiboye Oluwatumininu Peters

August 10, 2012 at 10:44 am

I received such text on my whatsapp apps yesterday & hissed. For God sake my Hublot wrist watch has red design.

38. Omom

August 10, 2012 at 10:50 am

Very ridiculous!! I particularly found it very annoying..what has wearing red got to do with anything. I was already at work when a colleague hinted on the message..cause lo and behold..I was wearing a red slim waist belt with a matching red bag..and i made it through the day.

For the records..God is a very straight forward God..and apart from his clearly stated prophecies that has been laid written in the Bible for billions of years past to see fulfillment in our present day, I will not welcome any unfounded prophecy given by any so called man of God seeking cheap popularity!!

39. sleezyb01

August 10, 2012 at 12:25 pm

already in my red shirt when i got the msg on my fone,just did’nt move or bother me,what bother me is hw pple hv time to compose such frivolous txt,while oders spread it,its time pple start channeling dere brain into positivity & not negativity…scoffs#

40. lahips

August 10, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Izzi u just made me laugh @ better safe than sorry.

41. Princess of Zion

August 10, 2012 at 1:07 pm

I didn’t receive such a message! As Africans we love cause & effect and as such, such hoaxes always get to us. Let’s be discerning!

42. Kiki N

August 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Lol. This is so hilarious. Didn’t even consider the msg worthy of my time, I hardly read bc’s to start with, just click d delete button if i don’t care for d 1st few words. I actually think that these things r created by peeps who just want to have a good laugh as pple throw themselves back n forth over d issue. Can imagine the dude/dudess laughing now. I’m surprised that peeps even believe these thns atal.

43. marvie

August 10, 2012 at 3:05 pm

All i can say is that God s our protector lets always be mindful of what we say and broadcast wetin no go kill you no go kill u.

44. Gambshual

August 16, 2012 at 6:25 am

Red colour rituals, mobile nos killer….. These are all Madness without arrangement! Funny enough, such messages emanated & spread fast when eva there’s free SMS Promo.