News

Great Nigerian in the Diaspora: Francisca Chiedu, Nigerian Masters Student at Robert Gordon University, UK Assumes Office as the Student Union President

It’s always wonderful to hear news of Nigerians doing great things in the diaspora. That is why at Bellanaija.com, we are very proud of Francisca Chiedu, a Nigerian master’s student at the Robert Gordon University, United Kingdom who recently assumed office as the President of the student union after her victory at the polls.

She won the union’s election barely five months after starting her course at the university.

Francisca is a graduate of Computer Science from the University of Benin. After obtaining her degree in 2007,  she had her National Youth Service in Lagos state in 2008 where she was awarded state commendation for her community development project on E-learning  and ICT education for secondary school pupils in Apapa Local Government Area. While working with the New Nigeria Foundation, she was awarded a scholarship by the Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) in September 2011 to study Masters in Information Engineering and Network management at the Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen. Before her election as the president of the student body she was the Vice-president (international).

After winning the elections, Francisca said she was encouraged to run for the post becasue of the warm culture towards international students at RGU. “The reality I saw at RGU that encouraged me to run was its warm culture towards international students. I found myself in a university where my opinion was valued. I offered to get involved in the union and I met a students’ body that was open to change; so, my journey began,” she told The Nation.

She is passionate about strong leadership, commitment, hard work, passion for service and excellence adding that those were the values that helped her win the elections. “To most people, it was a child’s play, considering that I have only arrived the UK a few months ago. But commitment, hard work, issue-based campaign and support from the majority of the students gave me success at the polls. We also broke the record of the highest number of voters since the history of students’ elections.”

For Francisca, as soon as opportunity presented itself, she jumped at it. “Truly, life presents us with different opportunities. For me, every moment in my life offered a door. All I had to do was choose.  I chose to dream, I chose to think, I chose to move, I chose to act… I chose to win,” she said.

Well done Francisca Chiedu!

Francisca & Other Student Union Executives

Photo Credit: RGU Union

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. StephanieIj

August 4, 2012 at 9:39 pm

I’m quite confused at this post..

• Benny

August 6, 2012 at 12:01 pm

wetin dey confuse you it is obvious

2. Chibueze donald madueke

August 4, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Wao! And to think she only just arrived.

3. Sparkle

August 4, 2012 at 10:11 pm

Nice one Francisca. Very proud of you.

4. LPS

August 4, 2012 at 10:22 pm

5. Person pikin

August 4, 2012 at 10:30 pm

hmmm…RGU (Unilag extension, as my friends and I call it) Its high time they had a nigerian Student Union President…. the nigerian population there (MSc students) is overwhelming…

Congrats babe!!

6. moi

August 4, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I’m so proud of you girl!

7. Nafisat

August 4, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Interesting, Other Nigerians in Diaspora lets learn from this.

Check my blog;
    Iamnephiza.blogspot.com

8. N

August 5, 2012 at 12:00 am

y dint u guys feature the first nigerian (and non-white) student union president of Cambridge university a yle ago (its probably a yr ago now lol)
    Also, the current student union president of Oxford university (one of the colleges) is also nigerian. Abeg BN fish them out. shey they said gold fish has no hiding place

9. o

August 5, 2012 at 12:06 am

u go girl 🙂

10. Ngozi

August 5, 2012 at 12:38 am

Wow!! More grease to your elbows!!!!!

11. k

August 5, 2012 at 12:44 am

I am proud of you

12. nich

August 5, 2012 at 1:22 am

wonderful……….

13. Bisi

August 5, 2012 at 1:52 am

Well done, girl!

14. Blackknight

August 5, 2012 at 1:58 am

CHAI….Scotland don chop Nigeria money. Robert Gordon University, University of Aberdeen….half of nigeria dey that school.Step into any of that school, every black person you meet there is a Nigerian….Yes UK won’t give us two years graduate extension visa for contributing to the socio – economic development of the Scottish state.

15. Purpleicious Babe

August 5, 2012 at 2:30 am

In 2008, I campaigned and won the position of CHAIR OF STUDENT COUNCIL at my UNI..

u should do a post on me BN.. Not fair jor.

Besides, campaigning seems pretty normal to me… pple do this ohh..

• Adannaya

August 5, 2012 at 11:11 am

I thought it was pretty normal too considering a lot of Nigerian students campaign and win in the U.S, maybe the Uk is different

• carlos estevez jnr

August 6, 2012 at 1:00 pm

we dont care…shes the girl of the moment, celebrate with her and next time try something more significant

16. Amaka Rita

August 5, 2012 at 3:08 am

Go girl. Am proud of u.

17. Bar Baric

August 5, 2012 at 7:53 am

That’s my girl Franca! She’s always been a winner.

18. christy

August 5, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I wish these could be a big deal,would they,”white” celebrate if they would have won in any Nigeria university???????

19. victor o. Effiong

August 5, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That is what grace of God can do to the children of His choosen Nation. Nigerians are great and wonderful in where ever they found themselves may God keep increasin her in her leadership

20. Micky

August 5, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Good for her. This is not the first time really. A certain Humphrey Adibe that studied Chemical Engineering at the then West Ham college of Technology, University of London (now University of East London) was Students Union President as far back as 1960 when it was almost a taboo for a black student.

• John Nebe

October 18, 2013 at 8:12 am

Yes, I have read about Humphrey Adibe as the first African and Nigerian President of his University of London college students’ union way back in 1959/1960 session .
      He college union was the then West Ham College Of Technology of the then University of London (what is now known as the University Of East London)

21. Straight4ward

August 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

This is “News”??? really?? BN, research Nigerian Students graduating with First Class Honours from Ivy League Schools abroad, that is something to be proud of.

22. onut

August 5, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Why is this news, i’m confused. She is a student there, so why can’t she be a student union president? It’s a nice achievement (if you care about that sort of thing), don’t get me wrong….. but i’m not sure why it’s worthy of a special Bella Naija mention. I’d rather take news of outstanding academic performances, those are true feats.

23. onut

August 5, 2012 at 4:20 pm

And if she was already V.P and then president in 5 months, most likely it’s one of those posts nobody really cares about contesting for, hehehe. No hating, I swear.

24. Zara

August 5, 2012 at 6:51 pm

I don’t get this post oh! What is the big deal in winning student union president election? Nigerian students in diaspora have been winning elections including student union for a long time now so what exactly makes this one special? Na wa oh!

25. Lani

August 5, 2012 at 7:35 pm

really Bellanaija, this is not a big deal. Are we so hungry for positive news in Nigeria that we even celebrate mediocrity?!

26. Jide

August 5, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Ok

27. CEO

August 5, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Okay..not tryna burst her bubbles but…there r many of us in the diaspora that have been student union/government presidents and executives, valedictorians. etc. i mean is this post out of ignorance or was someone paid to put this “achievement” up?

28. ogo

August 6, 2012 at 8:22 am

Am so happy for her. Some people might think it’s not news, but trust me it is a big deal winning student union president election in Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen.

29. angelfalese

August 6, 2012 at 9:31 am

think she must be a family member, this is no ivy league university, never even heard of it and I live in the UK!

30. joy

August 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

congrats gurlfrnd! b sure to leave a great impact. cheers!

31. Ready

August 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

People and all this noise about Ivy League schools sef. We continue to perpetuate a mere centuries-long human construct based on geographical location and endowment funds. I thought most people knew by now that some non-Ivy schools are much better in some programs than some Ivy League schools. I know y’all might descend with the “hating” card but it needs to be said joo. Granted, many of us have achieved what she has without BN fanfare, but abeg stop with the incessant shooting down of some achievements in un-trumpeted schools despite the school being very good in its own right.

32. 'Alex'andyRaH!

August 6, 2012 at 10:51 am

so proud of her.Congrats dear

33. Segun Ajibade

August 6, 2012 at 11:57 am

Anybody can say anything he/she likes but as a comrade and a unionist i tell you straigt that this is a great move with perfect introspective. keep it up girl. make sure you run the government by first know the student problems.

34. Segun Ajibade

August 6, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Anybody can say anything he/she likes but as a comrade and a unionist I tell you straight that this is a great move with perfect introspective. keep it up girl. make sure you run the government by first know the student problems.

35. Princess of Zion

August 6, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I think it is important to celebrate and encourage her! The reason why this is news is in UK Universities, the black students are a minority. Getting elected on the SU council is hard enough, talk less of being elected as president. Most people start preparing from their first year and then nominate themselves in 2nd or 3rd year. That is why her success is commendable; only five months! Students who are elected on the SU Council also stand a greater chance of getting employed after Uni as employers see it as a great achievement! So, she really is on the right track! Congrats dear, make your mark whilst there so you will never be forgotten. God bless!

36. Hula

August 6, 2012 at 10:20 pm

@princessofZion please get your facts straight! Black students in uk universities are not minorities because if you attended university here you would know that and not put it out there that we are minorities. So many black students ESP Nigerians have been SU presidents and am surprised this is even news regarding the fact that RGU has majority of Nigerians as students lol anyways babes get ur facts straight no-one especially blacks in the UK are minorities. I would say we are actually majorities Cos most British do not even bother with education as long as they have their Alevels they feel quite competent with themselves. So believe me when I say in universities here in the UK black Africans are the majority.

37. Laiza Lounge

August 7, 2012 at 10:00 am

Im very proud of her. If we all check well, many Nigerians and Africans have been presidents of Student Government Associations and Major clubs in US/UK etc even during their undergrad so truly this isn’t ‘new’ news to many. I can’t even start listing how many associations I led *wink*

38. shaken

August 8, 2012 at 9:54 am

why beef, why hatred, let the lady be, if you feel disturb about her achievement, go and hug transformer. To her its what celebrating, lets encourage her rather than throw silly words.

continue the hard work Gal.

39. RGUStudent

August 8, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Yes, it’s great how she got her position by BULLYING an HARASSING students into voting. She refused to leave students flats, their OWN HOMES, until they had voted for her, and was RUDE to any student who didn’t care about d elections!

Many students not happy about her being elected for this reasons.

40. Chinel

August 16, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Congrats gal!!

41. EKUTU ONORIODE RICHARD

January 7, 2013 at 6:29 am

OF THE GREATEST UNIBEN STUDENT ,PLEASE KEEP GOIN HIGHER UNTIL U BECOME WHAT GOD WANTS U TO BE…….EKUTU ONORIODE RICHARD,SECRETARY GENERAL NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF NIGERIA STUDENTS{NANS ZONE”B”}

42. jim Osiname

December 30, 2013 at 10:19 pm

At nigerianpage.com we have made the commitment to participate in the affairs of our nation. We believe that the knowledge, experince, and the exposure we have gained in our new found country could be tranfered to our country. Our country need us very much at this troubled time. Please visit nigerianpage.com and contribute and participate for the betterment of our country. We must support her. Please share this site with friends and neighbours.
    Thank
    jim

43. frank

April 22, 2016 at 2:01 pm

No big deal,the environment allowed it, and way back 2007,Nigerians were class governors in that school due to the population of Nigerian student.so she becoming SU President are due to those factors.