In the spirit of the Body For Xmas Challenge, there are 3 simple exercises you should incorporate into your program.
The Static Lunge: This works the thighs, bum and core
- Stand with your right foot forward, left foot back about 3 feet apart.
- Hold (medium) weights in each hand and bend left knee to lower the body towards the floor.
- You should be able to see the toes of your front leg so make sure to lower straight down rather than forward.
- Keep your upper body straight (imagine a cup of water on your head) with your abs held in tight.
- Breathe out through your mouth as you push through the front heel and come back to your starting position.
- Don’t lock the knees at the top of the movement.
- Complete 3 sets of 16 reps on each leg.
Side bends with Arm circles : This works your arms, chest, core & oblique.
This move will burn but I want you to stay focused on the image of you wearing a sleeveless t-shirt with lovely toned arms on display 😉
- Stand with your feet wider than your shoulders,
- Hold your abs in tight and hold light dumbbells in both hands.
- Bring your arms up shoulder level but keep the shoulders relaxed.
- Gently breathe out through your mouth and draw 10 small clockwise circles initiating from and squeezing your shoulders
- Now, bring your right hand towards your right ankle in 10 small beats.
- Inhale, come back to start and draw 10 anticlockwise circles,
- Then bring your left hand towards your left angle for 10 beats.
- Repeat 10 times on both sides, 3 sets.
The Scissors: This is perfect for the core, thighs, bum and hips.
- Lie on your back with you head in your hands, upper body off the floor from the ribcage and your legs straight up to the roof.
- Hold your stomach in gently but firmly.
- Breathe out through your mouth, squeeze your hips and bum ( imagine you have a ball in between your legs) and bring your right leg towards the floor.
- Breathe in and bring the leg back up as you bring your left leg towards the floor.
- Keep your stomach and bum tight throughout.
- Make your head is resting in your hands comfortably.
- Complete 3 sets of 30 reps.
Try these moves and leave a comment on how you felt when you were done.
Oyinkansola Talabi has been a fitness enthusiast for over 15 years and she is trained in Weight Management (FIE UK), Pilates ( Stott Pilates UK) and Kick boxing (Ian Fox training UK) and Performance coach ( Human Performance Institute USA). She has worked as a Personal Trainer since 2006 and founder of Bodyworks Personal Fitness Studio in Lekki Phase 1 opened in January 2009. The Studio offers personal training classes, fitness & nutrition consultations, daily group exercise classes and a personal Gym.