News

Unqualified NYSC Members Teaching in Schools Cause Mass Failure – Teachers’ Council

For many years, majority of the hundreds of thousands of graduates who partake in the annual National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) program are posted to primary and secondary schools to teach. Graduates across several disciplines, whether they have teaching experience or not, have worked as teachers in schools for their mandatory service year.

This has often had a negative impact on the students as the corps members exhibit a lackadaisical attitude to teaching and find it difficult to pass on their knowledge to the students.

To buttress this, the Teachers’ Council has said that the mass failure witnessed in various examinations for primary and secondary school students is partly caused by the Youth Corps members who are posted to teach without being qualified.

According to Premium Times, the Teachers’ Registration Council of Nigeria, TRCN, on Tuesday, said NYSC authorities should stop deployment of corps members, who lack basic knowledge of teaching, to teach in schools. Steve Nwokocha, the Director of Operations of the Council, said the deployment of unqualified teachers, like the youth corps members, contributed to the mass failure being witnessed in the country in recent years.

The issue of having mass failure is a process. Part of the people contributing to the process are these corpers. It is an abuse to our profession. Government should stop posting youth corpers to teach in schools. We at the council are against posting of NYSC without teaching background to schools.

He argued that only graduates of education should be posted to schools, saying the council was ready to rid the country of quack and fake teachers.

This sounds like welcoming news from the Teachers’ Council. There is no use posting Corps members to schools when they have no interest in teaching.

Have you completed your NYSC program or are you currently in your service year? Were you posted to a school? Please share your experiences.

What are your thoughts on the advice from the Teachers’ Council?

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Okechukwu Ofili

December 12, 2012 at 9:42 am

Thank you o…dunno how NYSC makes one a qualified teacher. Huge gap in our educational system.

• Elizabeth

December 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

True word o

2. Bibi

December 12, 2012 at 9:51 am

Rubbish n nonsense, imagine posting a lawyer or Doctor to go and teach in Pry schools. This needs to be scrapped like seriously.

• hmmmmmmmmmm

December 12, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Bibi, the ban has been lifted for lawyers. They are allowed to serve at law firms, MOJs or any other govt. parastals. All doctors serve either in a govt. hospital or health care centre.

3. Funmi

December 12, 2012 at 10:09 am

Good for them. Why must you make it compulsory

4. Chidinma

December 12, 2012 at 10:20 am

Fantastic news!!! Corpers are posted to school cos it figures, they are cheap labour. They don’t care if it is your discipline or if u re able to ‘teach’. I was posted to a diploma school for my youth service. From day one told them I couldn’t teach. The response i got was ‘why not? You went to a university. It is the same subjects u were taught in school that u will teach them. And moreover they are just in their first year so they won’t really know anything.’ I’m like O_O Me that has never stood in front of my class alone, going to teach them. To cut the story short, the students were better off without me as a teacher. Because if you don’t understand my notes, I’m sorry, can’t help there. I pray govt listens to TUC!

• Chidinma

December 12, 2012 at 10:27 am

*TRCN i mean

• Okechukwu Ofili

December 12, 2012 at 11:14 am

crazy!

5. sonalove

December 12, 2012 at 10:23 am

well as an ex- corper i say that this is not completely true.. this is because most times these schools especially in local areas tend to transfer too much responsibility to the corpers.. nysc is also a learning experience where you do something different and new like teaching.. these teachers in these schools are soooo lay they transfer too much to the corpers.. they don’t access the cortpers before assigning responsibility.. plus most of these schools are short staffed so pls they should look for someone else to blame not the corpers because without these corpers most of the schools would be heavily understaffed. they should stop putting blames on corpers as most of them are quite dedicated

6. adeleye ronke

December 12, 2012 at 10:27 am

is a good idea that they should stop posting corpers to schools,bcos most of them dnt knw anything.thanks

7. Ms. Teacher

December 12, 2012 at 10:30 am

I am currently doing my NYSC and was posted to a “private” school. I teach Maths (SS1-3), English(JS1-SS3) and Literature(SS1-3). The state of affairs is appalling, there are like 5 teachers in the school and 2 of us corpers. I really think the Ministry of Education needs to look into the type of schools that are out there. I also found that a lot of these teachers cheat for or are lenient when marking their students. Therefore, there’s a possibility that the failure of these children is a reflection of their illiteracy that has been covered up all along and not necessarily an issue with the qualification of the corpers. I do think the attitude of the teachers is MOST important and a lot of corpers are lacking in that regard.

8. Chidinma

December 12, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I am currently servin in a sec schl in Ibadan, teaching Js2 social studies. The school where I’m at has about 10 permanent teachers to teach 15 subjects in Js 1, 2, 3. The bulk of d work is on us corpers. I studied psychology in the university, I didnt even attend 1 education class, what is helping me is that my mom is a teacher. We corpers are left to our own devices and all we are told is that the students must not fail, so in the just concluded 1st term exams is to pad their scores. If this children are Nigeria’s future then our future will only brightl shine in crime.
    We are not trained teachers and forcing us to teach is wrong & our morale is very low. A lot of us are just marking time & whatever effort we put in is due to the fear of God.

• London

December 12, 2012 at 5:35 pm

“If this children are Nigeria’s future then our future will only brightly shine in crime.”

Hahaha this is rather funny but sadly true!

9. Ugbaby

December 12, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Point of correction Teachers’ council, there’s nothing like “unqualified NYSC members”!!! Unqualified in what area? Teaching??? ‘Teaching” as a profession is not for EVERYBODY, and that will include NYSC members!! Not everyone is meant to teach, hence the availability of OTHER professions, asides ‘Teaching’! You CANNOT, I repeat, you CANNOT, expect a Law student (lawyer)to have the ability to teach, a medical student (a doctor), and so on, to know HOW to teach. You CANNOT. These things don’t happen, there’s no (africa) magic in this one! People are trained to be teachers, people attend courses to teach, people yearn to teach. U cannot force (literally) one to teach and expect to yield positive results. Teach what sef? And how? How many people have the ability to stand before a number of others and be able to address them? Please they should go and find what their real problems are and the solutions thereto, and stop blaming NYSC members!!! Rubbish!!

10. Elizabeth

December 12, 2012 at 12:57 pm

i wonder why we have to gamble with every sector of our country; especially a core one like EDUCATION!

11. Gina

December 12, 2012 at 2:55 pm

I think d teachers shud b blamed not corpers,I remember in my primary n secondary school days,if a student does not pass well u r asked 2 repeat d class but dis days,no students repeat a class,we all know dat everybody in a class can not pass,its not possible,d teachers r so negligent n bcos dey r not doing deir job,dey pass all d students 2 cover up,u don’t expect me 2 pass a failed student bcos I won’t b doing any good 2 dat student,if d foundatin can not b put in place,nigeria will keep producing empty graduates at d end of day.

12. Brandigest

December 12, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Just passing blames while the house is nearing delapidation. http://www.brandigest.wordpress.com

13. Soraya

December 13, 2012 at 12:52 am

@Gina,are you really sure you went to school??? Jeez, your spelling so appalling!!! I would advise you to go back to your former primary and secondary school to ask for a refund. At least I went to UNILAG where the teachers were well qualified to teach and among my classmates were the children of the rich and mighty of Nigerian society

14. ego

December 13, 2012 at 9:52 am

abeg scrap it sharply!! am goin 4 aervice in march o nd soooooo dread teaching! teaching shld be a fing of joy nd will. nt PUNISHMENT

15. Iheanyichukwu

December 13, 2012 at 10:40 am

Well,i’m a prospective corper and although isnt good in teaching but will love to have the experience.there is no particular pattern of teaching,i feel its left to the individual to use whatever method he/she can to impact knowledge.
    The issue of blaming corpers is totally uncalled for because these corpers are not independent,they should be guided and supported but what we see this days is that the teachers tend to leave their works for the corpers to do,which is very bad.d work should be shared and d teacher can come to class to watch the corpers performance also.

16. Joseph ogedengbe

December 13, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Even most of our educational grduates are Imperfect so the best to do is that we do proper chekings on our corpers before leaving for youth service as a teacher..

17. Adebayo Titilayo.A.

December 13, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Though, i studied Economics Educatn, but to b frank, it is nt all corps members dat can teach, some re new in dis area,just as wen we re on our teaching practise also, som of us re afraid to face d students. My advice is dat corps members shuld b postd to dere area of discipline so as to perform efficiently and effectively…

18. Melchinah

March 11, 2013 at 5:49 am

Thank you for that assumption and insult. I called it assumption and insult because, it is not true. Anyone who says Youth Corpers are causing mass failure in school is lying.

Incase you are not consciouse of this fact; I wish to intimate you that, among the people you called qualified teachers, 60% of these persons do not know what education is, there are only but quacks.

It is not untill you study education as a discipline in school, that you can be a teacher. Most people are borned teachers, while others are made. About 75% of the made teachers are even responsible for the setback in schools.

Talking of not sending Corps Members to you, I tell you, if that is stopped, the educational system will fall, especially in places like Ifedayo Local Government Schools in Osun State, where there are not upto 8 permanant teachers, and where only 3 among them are qualified.

May be it will interest you to know that, in these schools am talking about most of the subjects are not offered because, there are no Corps Members for those subjects, and no permanent teachers for these.

Please tell Teachers Council especially her leaders, to stop attributing blames to Corps Members. The failure is not from them, it is from the students and the permanent teachers. This may sound strange, but i want you to know that in the Local Government Area I cited above, students are not serious, if they see a teacher entering the class to teach, they will rather run away. In most cases, they will be in the class but will not pay attention, or the worst is, not come to school and will not learn at home.

Tell me, how will such students pass. Should Corpers write examinations for them, or should they engage in exam malpractice for them, so that they will be seen good? Please, it is better you look for the cause of this and not to draw odd conclusions.

Moreso, I wished that Teachers Council should visit primary schools, secondary schools, and faculty of education in higher institutions, to see what their so-called qualified teacher are teaching.

Finally, I want to beg that if possible, let this my reaction be forwarded to Teachers Council of Nigeria.

Corpers We!!!

19. Achi

June 25, 2013 at 2:15 am

I’m currently an accounting professional working in the USA. When I come back to do my NYSC I’ll love to teach and I hope they don’t scrap it by then. Having an educational background doesn’t guarantee you will be a good teacher. I think having a passion for passing out knowledge about your area of expertise is what counts.

20. Demola

October 10, 2014 at 7:23 pm

For an effective teaching and learning process to take place, it requires some factors which are the voluntariness on the part of the teacher, the willingness of the students to learn, and the avaibility of the methods , instuctional media and techniques. If what we actually want in Nigeria is a brighter future for these children, then there is need for the government to give the task to only those that are capable.