News

Lagos & Abuja Ranked Among the Top 4 Most Expensive Cities in Africa by the Economist Intelligence Unit

A recent ranking released by the the Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU), a sister company of The Economist magazine on 25 African cities has placed Lagos and Abuja among the top four cities in Africa with the highest cost of living.

The key results of the cost of living rankings per city reveals that Abuja is the second most expensive city in Africa with a total expenditure score of 107.4. Lagos comes fourth with 100.8 total expenditure. Ranking first on the list as Africa’s most expensive city is Luanda in Angola with a score of 131.8, while Addis Ababa came last with a score of 60.8.

In other rankings, Abuja emerged as the 12th city in terms of consumption of alcoholic beverages, tobacco and narcotics, while Lagos took the 21st position among the 25 cities surveyed.

In terms of money spent on transportation, Lagos and Abuja emerged 15th and 22nd out of the 25 cities, scoring 107.5 and 91.7, respectively. Top on this list is Abidjan with 172.0 score spent on transportation, while Alexandra in Egypt came last with a score of 71.7.

The Economist Intelligence Unit produces regular reports on the “reports on the liveability”, and  cost of living, of the world’s major cities, which receive wide coverage in international news sources.

What do you think about the ranking? Do you agree that Lagos and Abuja are two of the top four most expensive countries in Africa?

Adeola Adeyemo is a graduate of Industrial Relations and Personnel Management from University of Lagos. However, her passion is writing and she worked as a reporter with NEXT Newspaper. She believes that anything can be written about; anything can be a story depending on the angle it is seen from and the writer's imagination. When she is not writing news or feature articles, she slips into her fantasies and creates interesting fiction pieces. She blogs at www.deolascope.blogspot.com

1. Myne Whitman

March 15, 2013 at 10:05 pm

I lived in Abuja for a while, and it was quite expensive. Especially if you lived in the suburbs, transportation jumps.

2. HABBA

March 15, 2013 at 10:09 pm

TOO bad there is no electricity, good roads, or clean water!

• Neni Stone

March 15, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I second this!!!!!

nenisnaija.blogspot.com/

3. Kanyinulia

March 15, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Expensive cities without basic amenities…….

4. pharaoh

March 15, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Obviously this people have not heard of Port Hacourt

• Gold digger

March 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm

LOL….. i know right..

5. Mama mia!!!

March 15, 2013 at 11:18 pm

While I kinda agree since it is within africa. I must add that London has nothing on those two, horrible place to live in all sincerity…

6. mexo

March 15, 2013 at 11:54 pm

we are millionaires living in ghettos

7. Austin Uche

March 16, 2013 at 12:10 am

I stay in abj, and d only expensive thing here is accommodation… Transport and food is cheap(if not cheaper than Gidi).. I stayed in Portharcourt and trust me, Ph is more expensive than Abuja and Gidi. Abt d usage of drugs, narcotics, drinking, i believe Lagos has dah vote.. So this report is confusing

8. igbo canadian

March 16, 2013 at 1:03 am

lmao….am sorry but for the average person it is cheaper to live in lagos than ph. Economist intelligence unit ni…don’t be deceived by flashy things. But abj is the most expensive place to reside

9. iamfascinating

March 16, 2013 at 4:53 am

Wrong ranking!

10. iamfascinating

March 16, 2013 at 4:55 am

hmmn, not true,

11. Benue News Online click here

March 16, 2013 at 8:55 am

Wao that’s great for Nigeria!!!

12. ivy

March 16, 2013 at 9:38 am

transportation in Abuja is cheap jor.i pay less than 400naira as cab fare.In lagos,the cab fare is just ridiculous.i’ve paid as much as 8,000naira sef.

• Ms lala

March 16, 2013 at 12:42 pm

10 thousand ni and thats a drop o.!!!….i cried for days when i realized i spent close 50 thousand naira when the car was in the shop and i had to use yellow cab to move around

13. 'Mide

March 16, 2013 at 9:44 am

Abuja subsidizes the rich and penalizes the poor. It is now more expensive being poor. Did I just say those words ? Hmmm, that is my naughty and pretentious mode again. I am sipping of my natural high again and I hope that gives me that bust of intellectual oomph. Anyway poor people what are you still doing in Abuja o? Pack your bags and go to your villages. Let those making the place expensive become their own servants, cleaners and cooks. Abi?

14. Annie

March 16, 2013 at 10:48 am

In my opinion, transportation in lag is more expensive than Abuja and this ranking is just not doing it 4 me cus I’ve lived in Accra and its more expensive than Abuja in everything so they should go and do their homework correctly.

• Cynthia

March 17, 2013 at 4:43 am

Pls I live in Accra, and transportation is cheaper here than Lagos Biko.but I agree with you that transportation in Lagos is more expensive, ESP those red cabs to Abuja.

15. Annie

March 16, 2013 at 10:52 am

I 4gt to add, the only thing that is expensive in Abj is accommodation of which Lagos island is almost the same thing.

16. Akinnifesi olufemi

March 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm

av experiencd lagos,abj and ph and wil say ph is most expensiv. Acomodatn price hike il gv to abj, lag too, accomodatn and partly transport and its cos of populatn. Bt d garden city, a landod cn leav his gogoni apatment for yrs cus the man dt wil pay 620taasan hasnt come, bikes dnt fly, u pay mor 4 bus n cab, and ther most intagible local food produce is very costly. Ph-Pretty hikey’

17. Jd

March 16, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I so agree we this, I live in Lagos and I cn tell. My two bedroom apartment in lekki cost 1.8million and as sad I I feel about this, i don’t hv a choice cos it close to my work place. I hear Abj is crazy on the accommodation too. So I def second this report!

18. Joe

March 16, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Hmm Inteligence Economist Unit what sort of ranking is this even them 9jas themselves are getting mixed up now
    Then what if you come to Limbe in Cameroon pple will just go mad na
    Becuz Cameroon is just a small Country with only 10 regions but has one of the most expensive towns in central Africa that is my home town Limbe
    A small clean and touristic town full with so many social ameneties like good roads,portable pipe borne water,kc electricity and good furnished buildings but very very expensive in food and housing.Transportation is manageable
    Am sure its because of its touristic nature that is why it is very expensive.
    But i have been to Lagos and Porthacourt and what i noticed when i was in this two places is that transportation fare in Porthacourt is quite expensive when compared to Lagos i really can’t tell cause i was only the to visit but through out my stay in 9ja I really like porthacourt.

19. Ibinabo

March 18, 2013 at 10:28 am

Accommodation in Abuja is High but food and transport is affordable. In Lagos, it varies you can cut your coat according to the material available. In Port Harcourt, Accommodation is high, transport is okay, FOOD is EXPENSIVE!

20. Yinka

March 18, 2013 at 11:48 am

Thanks for the article but standard practice is to include a link to the source of the information or the original article for those of us that would like to refer to it.

21. Samuel

February 24, 2014 at 12:39 am

Haah! I’ ve been in abuja b4, all tinx of abj are so expensive0.
    Omo abj na father!!!

22. aab

April 19, 2014 at 2:47 pm

in my area katsina state you take ride for at list 20 naira on bus,in fact the highest price should be around 300 naira,the only thing very expensive here is drugs,I mean illegal drugs,just one bottle of cough syrup will cost you about 1200 to 1500,for real that where most of the youth money is going.