News

BN Do It Yourself: Check out these Tips on How to Make a U-Part Wig

How to make A U-Part WigAppearances are a huge part of who we are as human beings. That’s basically why we set aside shopping allowances and spend long periods of time checking for the right clothes to wear. A big part of making a good impression is looking good, and you know on BN Style, we love to keep you looking good.

A sure way of doing that is to have a great hairstyle. Whether you are cutting, sewing, weaving or twisting, great hair is one of those few things that make you stand out when it comes to your appearance. One of the hair trends that is getting more and more attention as days go by is the U-Part wig.

The U-part wig is by far one of the best types of wigs to have. It gets its name from the  u-shaped gap or space left in front for your natural hair after it is made. It looks like real hair depending on what hair you use and gives you the luxury to change your hairstyle as many times as you want. Now, how do you get yourself a U-Part wig without breaking your piggy bank? The answers is very simple – make one.

Making a U-Part wig to my surprise is very simple and makes use of less materials than you think. To get a tutorial on how to achieve this I went to one of my favorite beauty & style bloggers LizLiz. Liz is a Ghanaian – British blogger who blogs at LizLizLive and has a very loyal following on Youtube. Today, she is going to be showing us how to make our own U-Part wigs to get whatever looks we like.

What You Will Need
1. The weave of your choice
2. A curved sewing needle with black thread (or you could bend your straight sewing needle to form a curve)
3. A wig cap
4. A mannequin head
5. A pair of scissors
6. Weaving combs
7. A white pencil to mark where you want your weave to begin and end on the wig cap

* Note that you can use bonding glue or salon pro glue to glue the tracks/weave wefts to the wig cap if you do not want to sew them on. Always make sure your lines are straight so the weave weft does not look misplaced by the end of the process.

There you have it, an easy and affordable way to make a u-part wig. Have you tried it? let us know what you think and your own personal tips on how you make your own U-Part wig.

Photo Credit: LizLizLiveChannel

1. Glory

July 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm

I cnt wit to try mine out!

2. Bimpe

July 20, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Nobody has time for that. Not everyone can sew. They dont even sell the materials in nigeria. I’d Rather buy an already made one from a professional lol

• blu

July 20, 2013 at 5:38 pm

What exactly don’t they sell in Nigeria? Are u a learner or a jjc? Hiss

• sideeyeblankstare

July 20, 2013 at 10:34 pm

1-Nigerians in diaspora [where labour isnt cheap] would find this usefull
      2-u could pay a hairdresser to do it for u or use bonding glue
      2-there is less damage to your hair / u can remove the wig and take care of ur scalp daily
      3-any material u require could be purchased off aliexpress

• wikkid

August 20, 2014 at 5:05 am

then why are you on a make your own wig website, and taking the time to comment and complain? Get off here and go buy one.

• Ade

January 2, 2015 at 12:04 am

@bimpe negative person

3. moi

July 20, 2013 at 2:38 pm

God sent! been looking for a video like this.
    Many thanks 🙂

4. truth

July 20, 2013 at 2:56 pm

God made a big mistake giving black women their different hair textures !

mehn baba god you for don give us oyibo hair na ! which kain mistake be this one

• hmm

July 20, 2013 at 6:29 pm

LOL

• truth

July 21, 2013 at 1:25 am

he did ooo
      i’m not even joking !! why don’t we have white women’s hair for goodness sake?/ was god sleeping when he was making bllack womens hair? mcheew i don tire

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 22, 2013 at 10:38 am

Nwa nne m, chill and don’t take yourself or life too seriously. I’m as “nachi” as they come and stan hard for my type 4c sisters in the kinky struggle, don’t wear wigs myself (although I regularly fix weaves & get braids put in) but I can see why some women need them.

For the folk living in Naija, those of us paying upwards of £80 for hair we wouldn’t have paid N2000 for in Naija, envy your never-ending choice of salons and hair gurus to change your hairstyles from week to week if you want. Sometimes, the wahala of getting on the long waiting list of that one chick who actually knows how to fix/braid hair properly is too much and a wig helps.

Other times, the wahala of styling your hair every morning while getting ready for work takes too much time and a wig helps. I don’t even have kids & just going through the motions of conditioning, moisturising, french-braiding, twisting, etc to get my natural hair ready every morning from Monday-Sunday makes me understand why my friends who do have children stay in wigs 24/7.

And finally, us Nigerian women just lurrvvv to change up our look from month to month. It’s what we do. Speaking personally, I can’t rock the same hairstyle from January to December year-in, year-out, in the name of carrying the hair that God gave me, I get bored really easily. Part of that need for versatility makes women resort to wigs and if they feel good about it, I don’t question their choices. I do, however, wish I could see more wigs that looked like my kind of hair. Maybe then, I might look into getting one for those bad hair days that a gal is sometimes plagued with…

• truth

July 22, 2013 at 12:44 pm

sorry i dont understand what this has to do with god giving black women the hair THEY HATE TO ROCK or MANAGE! I repeat he made a HUGE MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!

5. Awaiting Moderation

July 20, 2013 at 3:07 pm

I learned how to make my wigs last year and I have saved so much money!

6. Sexxie

July 20, 2013 at 3:27 pm

Best wigs are the ones u can take off at night or anytime like whn u want to swim. Pls teach us how to make that kind. Gracias. Thanks for the teeth whitening tip.

• fisayo

July 20, 2013 at 6:13 pm

pls kindly feel me in on the teeth whitening tips like web links and stuff thanks….

• Sexxie

July 20, 2013 at 8:32 pm

Watched d clip frm same blog. U make a paste of Bicarbonate of Soda or Baking soda & lemon or lime. Use it to brush ur teeth once a week. She said it works for her. Good luck.

7. Mocha

July 20, 2013 at 3:39 pm

Interesting

8. bimpe

July 20, 2013 at 3:56 pm

i love lizliz..i am subscribed to her, she is a fantastic person and i love how she carries and conducts herself…thumbs up sweetie!

9. Kikiana love

July 20, 2013 at 4:12 pm

I actually learned how to make U-part wig from her channel

10. Oaken

July 20, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I have done this several times and its crap load of work.

11. overmass

July 20, 2013 at 5:36 pm

you did a fab… job with the U part….

12. mimi

July 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm

its A LOT OF WORK!!!! who get time! abegi

13. Eve82

July 20, 2013 at 8:59 pm

Men are in trouble …lol!

14. lola

July 20, 2013 at 10:40 pm

i tried it took me 3 good days , followed every step then i cut and it din’t fit because when u cut it the cap shrinks.

• Cub

July 22, 2013 at 11:10 am

You have to get a wig cap larger in size than your head so that by the time you sew it, and the cap shrinks, it’s fits your head. Try the spandex wig caps. I think you can find them on amazon or eBay. They usually come in small medium and large size.

• lola

July 30, 2013 at 10:58 pm

thanks but i used a spandex dome cap sigh

15. Friday's other child

July 21, 2013 at 11:13 pm

I started wearing a u-part wig about five months ago. It’s been fantastic. I attached hair combs to mine, so i take it off every night. The brilliant thing is that I can now take care of my own hair properly; look after my scalp, wash regularly and moisturise daily. I’ve already seen a significant difference in the quality and length of my own hair, pre and post u-part. Brilliant generally, but particularly useful for those who want to take better care of/grow their hair without ‘publicly’ transitioning.

16. ba-na-na-na

July 22, 2013 at 5:45 am

AWW liz liz

17. brendz

July 22, 2013 at 4:18 pm

who knows where to buy the wig cap in lagos! i tried, the only one i found re those ones i see in the salon and the sizes don’t vary….please help!

18. amarachi

July 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Wow Rilly 9ic

19. Angie

July 24, 2013 at 4:47 pm

@ Truth, you are the only mistake I see here. Love yourself the way you’ve been made and stop tempting God. God does not make mistakes. There are many women with alopecia just begging God to let them get some hair kinky or otherwise…abeg get a grip on yourself!

20. beautywill

August 20, 2013 at 3:04 pm

ruth, you could be just one slip-up I ACTUALLY notice the following. Like you in the same manner you’ve recently been produced and forestall alluring Lord. Who will never generate flaws. There’s a lot of gals together with alopecia merely pestering Lord towards now let them all see some tresses perverted or simply otherwise…abeg control by yourself!

• cos i say so

March 29, 2014 at 5:55 pm

huh… this English?

21. Justin Bieber Human Hair Wig

August 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

Wow really good!

22. Lady GaGa Bob Wig

September 5, 2013 at 10:27 am

thanks for your sharing! Your post is really good, I think I will try this method to apply my beautiful wig!

23. Bonnie

September 16, 2013 at 9:12 am

When you apply this wig, you looks more natural and beautiful!!

24. brideself

October 21, 2013 at 9:14 am

I love this! Such a pretty wig.

25. anthonia

February 3, 2014 at 12:51 pm

been looking every where in m y area fro wig comb. any idea where i can get them. i stay around ojota in lagos

26. fiona lee

April 14, 2014 at 8:05 am

what a nice ideas !!! maybe it so helpful to us ,nice post!!

27. chinabestwigs

May 22, 2014 at 8:46 am

Can I cut my wig?

Yes!Your wig comes pre-styled with a basic style, but we encourage our clients to have their wigs customized by a professional hair stylist.This is a great way to make the wig uniquely your own. Often, a little trim on the bangs and a little thinning here or there can make all the difference in the world.The wig should be cut while you are wearing it. Everyone has a different face shape, a different forehead length, and different style preferences.Seek out the assistance of experienced professional, and only allow the wig to be cut while it is on your head.
    chinabestwigs.com

28. design jersey

September 28, 2014 at 9:51 am

i like u-part wig.

29. natasha

May 31, 2015 at 3:19 am

I like wearing short wigs I need a new look I don’t want any glue on my hair i have mixed curly hair about shoulder lenght i’m just wondering if I could add a coloured braid because I don’t wanna dye it…

30. Diamond

June 8, 2015 at 3:10 pm

God gave black people the most beautiful hair. He gave all other races beautiful hair too. God is a creator who loves variety. He gave beautiful textures and colors. Beautiful threads growing from beautiful people. He loves to see us care for it. He loves it when we appreciate His gifts.

Black hair goes from straight to the tightest curl. When healthy, it is most beautiful and versatile. There is a white lady who blogs and posts pictures of black women and their hair. From natural to chemically altered. Wigged, braided, covered or revealed it is beautiful.

Wigs and weaves are an added accessory all races use…not just black people. Women with long hair or no hair wear wigs and weaves to protect, style, add variety add interest for fun, to change moods and more.

Adding hair is an art.

I appreciate all who posted this v log online
    . They shared. They opened their hearts to share. Gave you an option. Nobody is telling you to do it. She showed you how she does it.

Beautiful.

Black people please let women of other races hear and see you support your sisters beauty and knowledge.

Diamond4weavehair.com
    @Ilovediamond4hair

31. Reign

August 26, 2015 at 7:36 pm

Wig making has become one of my favorite hobbies and I have now turned it I to my own business! Affordable wig maker and I also know how to make virgin hair ponytails. Best wig prices you will ever find with breathable wig caps. Reign wigs and things

32. Jennifer

December 4, 2015 at 8:22 pm

I love wigs. I use them all the time, You guys can get one at maycustomwigs.bigcartel.com . That is where I get mine. They are based in Lagos.