News

From Pampered Eyes to Glowing Skin! Great Tips to get you Ready for your Wedding

Getting your Body Ready for your Wedding - BellaNaija - September 2013001When a wedding is coming up, everyone seems to be bothered about the dress, shoes, hair and makeup; which is alright. But no one cares much about the body wearing the dress, the head rocking that gorgeous hairstyle or the feet slipping into those lovely shoes.

The most basic things that should have been considered much earlier (I wouldn’t say forgotten) are not handled properly.

If you really want to look smashing for your wedding, start grooming yourself earlier to be that beautiful goddess everyone stares at. Brides, you all need to up your game because you’re definitely not the only one reading this and we certainly don’t want any other persons looking better than the bride.

We all know the basic beauty routine – cleanse, tone and moisturize, though the toning part of the regime gets skipped a whole lot of times. To be extremely fresh and gorgeous on your big day, these beauty regimes shouldn’t be your worry. What you need to focus on is preparing your body internally and externally to absolve your special beauty routine.

For example; in order to get the best out of a moisturizing cream, you need to properly exfoliate and cleanse the skin. Finding the perfect products for your skin is like doing community service, especially now that there are gazillions of products out there.

Believe it or not you need at least 6 months or more to groom your skin, so any beauty product would work better on it. Excess beauty and grooming activities just days before you say “I do” will only make you more stressed on the day you’re supposed to look poised and fabulous.

Here are some of the right things to do and consider to look unbelievably gorgeous or your special day.

Plan Ahead
It’s best to plan ahead because you need 6 months to effectively groom your skin to look flawless and stunning.

Make an anticipated schedule of your crucial health and beauty needs. Internally, you need to get good multivitamins to start the process. Also, start munching on skin fruits like water-melon, paw-paw, apples, grapes, bananas, cucumber and others.

The Hair
The hair is very important because it your crowning glory. Try to leave your hair relaxer free for 3 months out of your 6 months grooming rituals. After each quarter relax your hair, the end of the next quarter will be towards your day and will be the second time you relax the hair. This technique will make your hair fuller and less stressed.Getting your Body Ready for your Wedding - BellaNaija - September 2013005

While you’re at it, it’s better to wear braids or wigs and moisturize the hair every two weeks with Castrol oil to facilitate growth. For those of us with natural hair just continue doing what you’ve always done and get a good stylist to style your hair on that day.

The Eyes
Planning a wedding can be extremely stressful, so you need to ensure your eyes are eye-bag free and bright. You need to start this earlier because you wouldn’t want your eyes red, heavy and displeasing on that day.

Always rest your eyes – they say a lot about you. In your schedule make it a point of duty to get at least 7 hours of sleep. Every other two days pamper your eyes with a slice of cucumber placed on each on them for as long as possible and moisturize with olive oil. If your eyes are really dim and tinted, go to your optician to recommend a good eye-drop for you.Getting your Body Ready for your Wedding - BellaNaija - September 2013004

The Lips and Teeth
No one wants to get married with chapped lips and of course there will be lots of lip locking. So get a good lip-balm and moisturize your lips with it.

If your lips are severely chapped, make a scrub with honey and brown sugar, then gently scrub your lips with the mixture gently. As for the teeth, there are a lot of teeth whitening pastes in the market. Chose a good brand and start using it as soon as possible for maximum results.

The Skin
This is the most important of looking good on your day. Even though makeup has advanced, it’s vital that you ensure your skin looks its best. It’s a special day for you, you’ve got no other choice than to glow.Getting your Body Ready for your Wedding - BellaNaija - September 2013003

To achieve this, you need to plan ahead. In addition to taking your multivitamins, start taking your bath with a bath-brush. Get a very good cleansing bar (there are lots to choose from) and facial scrub. Use the bath-brush daily on your body and scrub your face every other 2 days with the facial scrub. Try not to scrub too hard and like we all know, when scrubbing do it in a circular motion (it opens your pores better to take in any treatment).

Lastly, use a cream that has the ability to moisturize, firm, make your skin vibrant and bring it back to life. For your face, get a good face cream and for those that usually break-out, use an anti-bacterial face cream.

The Feet
Get a pedicure every month and avoid tight shoes to avoid getting corns. On your own scrub your feet with a body scrub every other day and always cream your feet more, or better still use a foot cream. Once in a while massage your feet with Shea-butter (ori).Getting your Body Ready for your Wedding - BellaNaija - September 2013002

Sounds stressful and a lot, but looking good is certainly not a day’s job. It’s hard work, devotion, planning and determination. Looking good through this method, lasts forever, anything gotten easy is temporary and may lead to unpleasant conditions.

Once you’ve done all this, you can go to a Spa 2 weeks before your wedding and you would be amazed at your beautiful turnout.

If you can do this and make it part of you beauty routine, indeed you’ll be the star of your big day with not contest. If you have any other tips on how to prepare your body for your big wedding day, don’t forget to share.

Photo Credit: Wigstraighthair.info | Madamenoir.com | Realbeauty.com | Essence.com | Fashiontrendseeker.com

1. That African Chic

September 27, 2013 at 9:14 am

One tip for the lips also, brush your lips while brushing you teeth. It helps to remove dead skin. Also every night before you go to bed, smear a good amount of Vaseline or Shea butter on your lips. It gives you soft, succulent and pinkish looking lips

2. tutsie

September 27, 2013 at 9:17 am

Me, that i’m not the sisi-kinda-babe how i go con take do biko? Will definitely try some of the tips but the whole tone, cleanse, moisturize-ish seems scary sha 🙂

3. bellastrada

September 27, 2013 at 9:21 am

noted!!!!!!!!!! got to start noww

4. Iny

September 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

I am so far away from this regimen, God help me, would start a step at a time. Please where can I get natural Castor oil to buy? In Abuja

dahliaweddings.blogspot.com

5. gscot

September 27, 2013 at 9:25 am

in fact i will even start now cuz am previledged to have twelve good months in planning for my big day.am sure i will look like a goddess on that day,no invitee will intimidate me on one of my most memorable days…..

6. abi

September 27, 2013 at 9:26 am

Pleeease! What’s with all this emphasis on weddings and getting married? A lot of BN articles these days are showing this disturbing trend and its getting annoying. Can y’all have a seat and just do an article on having healthy skin and glowing. It doesnt have to be towards a wedding! Duh! If you must tie it to an occasion, perhaps try a birthday….
    P.S: For those who may think my comment is because I’m unmarried or something, I’m married but it still grates on my nerves.

• Mariaah

September 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

LOL.. Sorry boo…

7. my love

September 27, 2013 at 9:50 am

I agree with you Abi. We are becoming too wedding conscious, it’s already annoying. If we put the amount of preparation and planning for a wedding into a marriage, i believe divorce won’t be as common as it is now. God help us.

8. Single Ladies & Workings Guys

September 27, 2013 at 9:56 am

Woow….Nice Wedding Tips for me

9. Mariaah

September 27, 2013 at 9:58 am

I agree with all these tips 100%!! I almost do everything on the list when I have an occasion to attend and I always tell anyone who dares to listen, when I am getting married I will do more!! I will go off work for a week or 2 before the day..

I even advised my big cousin getting married in November to start her routine in July. From soap, cleanser, multivitamins, everything!!

10. amarachi

September 27, 2013 at 10:29 am

thanks 4 d the tips

11. Deedee

September 27, 2013 at 10:30 am

Thanks for the beauty tips…..

12. Naya

September 27, 2013 at 10:50 am

If you don’t like it, then don’t read it. You can easily use your iniatitve and apply these great tips in general rather than to prepare for a wedding. Too many people are quick to make unnecessary comments.

13. irritated

September 27, 2013 at 11:35 am

has it occured to you sad and sorry folks nagging that there are a lot of unmarried people who visit this blog?….anyway i think not, so get your frustrated self’s to the back of the line so some of us who “though married but not angry at the wedding conscious articles ” can have some peace…..bye

14. miss chioma

September 27, 2013 at 11:52 am

Pls tell them.I don’t understand why some people get irritated over anything that has to do with marraige.its a part of our existence so we can’t run away from it.

15. Olla

September 27, 2013 at 11:56 am

Okay ladies,y’all need to help a sister out. It may be a slightly long post,please bear with me.

I’ve always had skin that is prone to breaking out every now and again…I did suffer from moderateto severe acne as a teenager,but outgrew it around the time I turned 20. Sadly,in June of this year shortly after relocating back to Nigeria I had the worst breakout of my life!It was so bad that I became depressed….because after almost about 6 years of being relatively acne -free,out of the blues,it just appeared and almost ruined my whole life.I went to see a derm,got put on some antibiotics which effectively made everything 40 times worse….Imagine running into people I haven’t seen in almost 6 years with a face looking like a pizza!I have never thought that’ordinary’ pimples can send a full grown woman in her late 20’s into this kind of full blown depression.I have an amazing skin care routine….I drink loads of water daily,cleanse,tone,moisturize and even take vitamin supplements so the cause of this onslaught was just beyond me.

Fast forward to September….God has been gracious enough to stop the breakouts from surging (I currently use Clean and clear pomengranate facewash and neutrogena on the spot 2.5% BP). although my face is covered in spots almost completely,I am thankful that at least the worst is over.I still have some breakouts now and again but nit as bad as it was in June/July.The major issue now is that my face is now VISIBLY darker than my body) think Kate henshaw face on Rita Dominic’s body) I look dull,tired and stressed out even with makeup on now because it’s a struggle to find my ‘current’ shade of concealers/foundation, and my wedding is in February…what can I do? all the small freshness I managed to gather living abroad has just vanished in under 3 months of moving back to Naija…*sad face*someone recommended Ufuoma Koloko’s spa in lagos here but I’m honestly just spooked out about ‘experimenting’ but I also want to look my best for my wedding…It’s not even about the ‘yellow’ so much…I just want my glowing nice,able-to-go-without-makeup skin back.

PS:I have oily skin. I’m so sorry for the long epistle but PLEAAAASE,help a sister out and ignore my typos.mwaaaaah!

• That African Chic

September 27, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Have you tried Shea butter? Use it every night before you sleep. And I mean the pure natural Shea butter not the processed adulterated ones.

• creamy

September 27, 2013 at 12:48 pm

hi, natural aloe vera gel works as a good scar remover, u can also try bio oil its light and non greasy.

• LL

September 27, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Olla my dear I’m so sorry for your distress and I totally understand your pain. I used to have acne (as in the worst kind) and I used all kinds of treatment but it just wasn’t working. What I will suggest to you (which worked for me also) is to try to use blemish/acne control wash which have natural ingredients and are oil-free (I use St. Ives Blemish & Blackhead Control Apricot Scrub. ). Also whatever you are using on your face (both cleanser and moisturizer) make sure it is contains NATURAL ingredients and is formulated without parabeans and phthalates, NON-COMEDOGENIC, and Hypoallergenic. Additionally, avoid eating fried foods. Eat a lot of fruits and vegetables and also exercise. Congrats on you upcoming wedding !

• Phoebe

September 27, 2013 at 11:35 pm

To clear your spots, try body shop tea tree night lotion

16. lolly

September 27, 2013 at 12:15 pm

You forgot to include exercise, it makes the skin glow and also eases stress. That is more important than all of this…………#shallowmind#

17. miss chioma

September 27, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Sorry dear,I feel ur pain.unfortunately I wouldn’t be able to help.professionals in the house pls help a sister out.

18. lee

September 27, 2013 at 12:39 pm

*yawns* na wa o… Tutsie, i so agree with u…
    all these many things… when would u now have time for normal life…
    i just hope i wake up one day and have the patience for all these! so far away frm dem… *phew*

19. toyin

September 27, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I think a chemical peel would be great for you; salicylic acid or a glycolic peel. You could order a 10% peel on amazon and then work your way up to like 30% if your skin doesnt get too irritated by it

• Weddingsaregreat

September 27, 2013 at 2:22 pm

i think this is a great idea but strongly suggest having a professional do it for you. As the name implies, you would be applying chemical to your skin so definitely the kind of thing to do with great care.

expensiveweddingfavors.com

20. Kay

September 27, 2013 at 1:35 pm

Go on a 2 week fruit only diet and exercise and see how good your skin turns out. + you get to lose a little weight too.. You’re welcome 🙂

21. drwho

September 29, 2013 at 7:12 am

tea trea oil is very good for deep acne scars as well as discoloration.
    rubbing a lemon juice on your face and leaving it for 10 minutes before washing it off.
    i also heard tumeric and milk mask is good