Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: I Can Never Shop At Primark

One of the most fundamental lessons you learn ‘Coping With Winter 101’ is ‘The Art of Layering’. Thermal underwear, then your t-shirt, followed by a jumper – or two, depending on the intensity of the cold and your threshold of endurance.. On top of the jumper, have a nice thick coat. It is imperative that you invest in a good, quality coat, because when all fails, it is the one thing that will help keep the cold away.
I had cause to pass on the notes I had been given in this class to my sister in-law, who recently moved out here. She wanted to buy basic clothes, because she had left most of her clothes behind. So we checked top after top, and together, we rejected one after the other. If she picked a nice one, I’d look at the price tag to see if it was commensurate to the beauty/joy derived from owning it. After about an hour of failing to make headway, I suggested that we head down over to Primark to get a wide array of cheap t-shirts. My argument was that the t-shirts would be worn under several layers of clothing and nobody really cared whether it was from Primani or not. “One has no business buying t-shirts, flip-flops, PeeJays and pack of panties outside of Primark, really.”

Before you judge me…here’s my defence. Once you put those things in the washing machine and dryer, depreciation automatically sets in. There’s very little you can do to save the lifespan of vests or PeeJays  (this is me not remembering how to spell the word in full and not willing to work my way around Encarta).

I have heard a lot of people say they can never shop at Primark, H & M or Next. Some years ago while on holiday in America, I accompanied some friends on their shopping ‘waka’. We walked into Walmart for something and one of the girls saw a nice skirt and wanted to buy it. We all agreed that the skirt was pretty so Funmi tossed it in the shopping bag. Then came the voice of dissension: “Funmi, it’s nice but remember this is Walmart. When you get back to Lagos you’ll see hundred people rocking the same skirt as you”. I gaped at Bolu. “Say what now?”
According to her, buying items of clothing from certain stores was a certain No-No. She stated that she liked to wear unique pieces and the Lagos clothes market was saturated with items from Conway, Walmart, Next and Primark. I was going to remind her of the fact that when we were in Unilag, she was the number 1 patron of Mr. Jeans, but I decided to hold my tongue.

I argued that there was a fault in her reasoning because she’s a serious Aso-Ebi fanatic. Ankara and lace sold as Aso Ebi are mass produced. If we go by the logic of not wanting to wear stuff that everyone was wearing, surely the rule ought to apply to Aso-Ebi.

There is also the possibility that one presumes that one is better than certain people. For instance, someone I know will not wear a Hawes and Curtis shirt anymore, because “One girl in Finance wore that shirt last week”.

On the flip side, there’s an argument that it has absolutely nothing to do with being snobbish. For instance, if you’ve shopped at Collectibles and Land of Plenty all your life, it might be understandable if you don’t know how to meander through the alleys of Tejuosho or Lagos Island market. If you’ve been brought up shopping at Harrods, is there really any reason why you should have to ‘slum it out’ with people who shop at places with cheaper items? Especially as it is not a competition of who can stretch the Dollar the farthest.

Then there is also the important issue of quality. This makes it important to differentiate things that one would absolutely not buy in certain stores. Accessories? “Yes. Shoes? Heck no!” Or something along those lines.

Where do you shop and why do you shop there? Do you balk when you see an F & F or George, Cedarwood State tag on something you’re buying in Lagos? Would you rather do your shopping in Waitrose? Or do you just go to Ebeano? Guys, do you have anything against buying suits that are not of a particular brand?

Have a beautiful week ahead. I’m rather zinged this morning. Yes, you know it… pay day is around the bend! Is it me or is January is such a tediously long month?
Oh, before I go, I’d like to specially dedicate this morning’s Banter to Uche from Etisalat customer care service. She exhibited a special sense of professionalism in the audio clip below!

Listen and start the week with a laugh.
Uche, Face Your Work
Listen here:
[audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/VN-20140124-WA03.mp3]

Peace, love & cupcakes.
Toodles!

Photo Credit: blackgirllonghair.com

Atoke – Writer | Lover | Noisemaker. Twitter – @atoke_

1. PP

January 27, 2014 at 9:15 am

For me actually it is a combination. I remember when i was in the university, it was a very good combination between okrika (benddown boutique) and collectibles. I look at my wardrode now, its a mix of asos, matan, next, forever 21, h&M, george and ofcourse primark ( i have very very nice inner blouses from them). I just think as u advance in life your choice in shopping actually changes. It would really be weird buying benddown boutique now ( but did i rock it 5 years ago OO Yes!)

• Hian!

January 27, 2014 at 11:21 am

Errr, you mentioned the ASOS, Next, Primark and co as if they were high end designer labels. I mean you’ve come a long way sha, but…errr

• PP

January 27, 2014 at 1:53 pm

Hian! u see ur life ( i didnt say they were high end labels) i just a took a step further, and ofcourse life is in stages i would also shop at your high end shops when d time is right ( the message i was trying to pass along is life is in stages) and madam Hian!! its ur type that make other girls feel inferior about thier choices of clothes without bothering to think can she afford it, then when she starts runs you would be the first the raise alarm! live and let live

• Happy me

January 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm

madam Hian, free the babe o

• jcsgrl

January 27, 2014 at 2:54 pm

I’m sure you feel soo good about yourself haven come the farthest in life. Glory be to you! Let others who are coming up and appreciate what they have be

• NYK

January 27, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hian she talked about her progression from bendown to new.
      She didnt say they are high end
      Even then who says you must shop high end all the time
      Having a perfect mix is the name of the game
      Michelle Obama does this effortlessly – combining high end with off the rack clothes

• TA

January 27, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Madam if you only shop at Harrods and the likes,congratulations. No need for the condescending tone…

• banana

March 30, 2016 at 11:40 am

hater

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 27, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Actually, those finds we used to discover in the days of “Okrika a.k.a bend down boutique” circa 1997 – 2003 were the best. Depending on what was in that bale, you came away with a lot of quality, stand-alone items which just happened to be previously owned (and which you go home to soak in a basin of Ariel before rocking). I’ll almost take that over the mass produced fare that’s available now… 🙂

• Newbie

January 27, 2014 at 5:12 pm

High five, sista! and sometimes, some of the pre-loved, pre-owned finds were not even pre-worn. Sometimes, you would find something with label and price tag intact! Actually, I had to agree that it wasn’t just luck – there was a degree of skill and planning involved in identifying a ‘correct’ supplier, knowing when they were freshly home from Cotonou and sorting through the merchandise very swiftly yet adeptly and coming away with the cream of the crop. If you were a good payer, Mr or Madam supplier will contact you as soon as they land so you’ll be the first to select. Oh…those were the days.

• Anonymous

January 27, 2014 at 3:04 pm

I only shop in Dubai

2. Lagos is my home

January 27, 2014 at 9:27 am

Primark clothes are not very durable and a lot of times look tacky …. Also the few times I have gone in with a friend the length of the paying queue puts me off. For me p since I not a regular shopper then I love to buy nice things and for now my wallet agrees with other high street and high end labels so primark is not for me …… However back in my high schools days of coming to London, I always shopped at the cheapest store I could find, it was called saving tips ,and I loved getting a bargain back then , lol

3. mama

January 27, 2014 at 9:33 am

yawn….we know ure overseas.

• Ada Nnewi

January 27, 2014 at 10:30 am

You have a complex…

• Newbie

January 27, 2014 at 5:46 pm

A Shopping Complex…pun intended lol

• whocares

January 27, 2014 at 6:26 pm

@Newbie. That was a terrible joke but you should see me cracking up all over the floor. LOOOOL.

• Berry Dakara

January 29, 2014 at 8:42 am

LOOOOOOOOOL @Newbie. Corny but funny

4. Wale

January 27, 2014 at 9:37 am

There are disposable items I’d go to h&m, gap and express for like white t-shirts and there items I’d go to Saks, harrods etc for-it all depends. Btw, H&M pants(trousers) are perfectly cut for me in my size. So it’s all relative-price and quality, bargain and need. Clothing are disposable and one shouldn’t indulge to much in them anyway.

5. dami

January 27, 2014 at 10:06 am

I ll say I have a mix of it all, when I was in high school everything was primark. Cuz twas “cheap”, however these days primark is getting too bold for my liking. I love next tho Cuz they just do everything that suits me and zara bags. Anyway to each her own

6. poisefreak

January 27, 2014 at 10:10 am

Oh well.

7. Nonso

January 27, 2014 at 10:12 am

It’s definitely a combination for me. For stuff like gym clothes or clothes i’ll get messy in or stay at home in, or even t-shirts i’ll layer for winter, i’ll definitely shop at primark or another cheap store. But, for clothes I’ll wear to big occassions or to places I’d like to make an impression, then I’ll shop at more expensive places. I simply try to still look good. And I still buy the most expensive and the highest quality cheap stuff. Just cuz I’m a student doesnt mean I should look tacky!

8. nnenna

January 27, 2014 at 10:13 am

i would just go to Ebeano, mbok. lol.

• TA

January 27, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Yeah shout out to Ebeano for giving the Goodies,Park n Shop et al a run for their money in grocery shopping. 🙂

9. dami

January 27, 2014 at 10:17 am

Oh I forgot to add. I love George and F and f tho

10. Mariaah

January 27, 2014 at 10:34 am

I think it just depends on what I am buying. I bought most of my summer print shirts from Primark, H&M when I lived in the UK but I never bought things like coats from them. I also bought sandals, flat ballet pumps. LOL.. I think primark is nice for summer shopping. Buy, wear, give out to charity. 😀

11. St Catherine the Great

January 27, 2014 at 10:40 am

The thing about primark is u end up spending more money than you think. 10 pounds today, 10 pounds tomorrow, 5 pounds next tomorrow. I would rather spend 25 pounds on quality than 5 pounds on quantity. I don’t even buy underwear at primark. First, they don’t stock my FF cup size. Second, I don’t like my panties thread pulling. I only buy nightwear, flip flops and the odd pretty item at primark. I must also mention that I don’t have money for high end designer stores. I am a regular street stores shopper!

12. Abiolami

January 27, 2014 at 10:45 am

when i was in uni..yaba railway was my boutique oo..(first grade tinz) that even back then when u wear this clothes..u would tink ‘it was sent’..lol..fastforward labor market..i cant do bend down again, i dont even have time to go to yaba cus back then,if you want to get good grades,you have to go on market days(mon,weds.fri)..its not pride, it tink d more u advance , d more you style changes…

• dp

January 27, 2014 at 12:08 pm

You are so so on point

13. Ohgawd

January 27, 2014 at 10:45 am

Primark used to be my BFF, I mean cheap is cheerful yes….hell no… Took me a short time to realize there is a reason why they are so cheap…so when they fall apart you cannot be angry at how little they cost in the first place…
    I liked Zara and Mango too but after a while i realized so did all of Nigeria. I still go to Zara now but for the basics because Its a good marriage between quality and durability.
    Now I really only shop on sale to get the best deals on quality. If it is an absolute must then I am willing to splurge. It has nothing to do with the store but alot to do with not being penny wise and pound foolish

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 27, 2014 at 12:57 pm

Mehn, Zara annoys me sometimes, you’ll just see one piece of flimsly cloth with chiffon and net, dem go talk say na £69.99. On top wetin? I’d rather spend that 70quid at Warehouse where I can pick up something which looks tangible enough for my money.

• Warri Babe

January 27, 2014 at 2:06 pm

My God will bless you o, I thought I was the only one who had that notion, I dey waka pass those ones, don’t even like the designs and they unnec expensive>>>

January 27, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Seriously, God bless you, I thought I was the only one, I’d rather go somewhere else and spend that money, and I feel the quality in Zara is questionable, the get the fashion right every season at least.

• Shopaholic

January 27, 2014 at 4:39 pm

@Mz socially awkward…yeah i agree Zara can be expensive but you need to target their sales period…i have bought stuff in zara for as low as $9.99. In US their sale period is twice a year-June and Dec and sometimes around black friday. the trick is wait till the end of the sales period and you get good deals. i don’t know if its the same sales period in the UK. i hope this helps. 🙂

• bNigerian

January 27, 2014 at 5:11 pm

My dear, no need wasting your money and timeif you don’t want to. Just wait for their SALE twice a year. You will be very happy at the deep discounts! *wink*

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 27, 2014 at 6:13 pm

Coming from a seasoned bargain hunter, fear not, I dey also try “block” Zara during their Jan/Dec sales 🙂

But you know say na you and like a hundred other chicks who’ve got the same idea and before you know what’s happening, that winter coat that you refused to spend £149.99 on will get sold out in your size by the time they knock it down to £79.99 (as I recently and painfully experienced).

Sometimes I have to agree with some chicks I know who refuse to wait for the sales before they buy something they like, especially if it’s something necessary like a new coat… *sigh*

• Dee-USA

January 28, 2014 at 2:08 am

Girl, I feel you. I don’t know what the fuss about Zara is. I think they quality isn’t that much better than H&M, except the latter is 50-75% cheaper most cases. With that being said, I do love their shoes (though painful) so I tend to splurge on those. I walked into the store with a friend the other day and found Winter coats on sale/clearance for $50. I had been looking for a basic black coat so I scooped it up real quickly. And it wasn’t even the typical sale period. When I get deals like that, I am all for it, but I don’t think their prices justify the quality.

I shop everywhere from H&M, Saks (I tend to target OFF SAKS,) Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Express, DSW, Target (a lot of high end designers are releasing cheaper collections here that are to die for,) TJ Maxx, Marshalls to Banana Republic, Polo and so on. I have bought a lot of work out gear and pyjamas (Atoke can thank me later) at Wal-Mart cos I could care less about what I work out with as long as it covers everything.

When I went to the UK, I popped my head into Primark with a friend. I remember getting one or two things, but like most said, they were the basics. I don’t know much about the store though, I just wasn’t motivated to sift through the thousands of items, many of which had made it to the floor, while brushing skin with every Tom, Dick and Ali shopping as well. I think that was when I realized it was kinda like a Wal-Mart for clothes, except that Wal-Mart has a much bigger space so it never feels as cramped.

I don’t have a problem shopping anywhere as long as there are sales and discounts. In fact, I tend to shop more at places with Reward programs like DSW (which I have benefited TREMENDOUSLY from) and Express.

• Tim'tim

January 31, 2014 at 9:08 am

I thought i was d only the shit happens too. However, i only buy a few purses (tote bags) n clutch purses from zara. Their money too much for my system biko

14. Riri-Rose

January 27, 2014 at 10:49 am

I’m an eclectic shopper. Primark is cheap,cool but not durable. But I love the label. I can never have enough of their white sleeveless tanks. In my closet,iv got jeans that cost 9k, tops from flea markets for 4hundred naira, tops that costs 12k, eyeshadows of 5hundred naira and the ones that cost thousands. Whatever ticklesmy fancy, be it okrika or boutique purchase. But I like vintage shopping. Got a beautiful red box I absolutely adore. If sm1 says primark aint for them, cool. If they say they prefer bags that cost d price of a left kidney, cool.

• whocares

January 27, 2014 at 11:22 am

If I didn’t know better, I would think you were describing me. I shop any and everywhere, and I love hunting for vintage clothing. Primark, my vintage haunts, charity shops, wherever I find something I like I am buying it. High end shops, low end shops, I do not discriminate so long as the cloth is gorgeous, and is what I want.. Although I do restrict Primark to boxing gears, underwear and the odd pieces of clothing and shoes..

15. Mama Mia!!!

January 27, 2014 at 11:04 am

I bought a few primarki clothes one time and was so dissapointed, Their tops and a coat tore right down to the middle when I washed and wore them. I am all for affordable chick so my favourite stores are def Dorothy Perkins, H&M, New look sometimes, Forever 21, Top shop, River Island , Tk Maxx and the UK one and Choice (Mostly when on sale of course) Primarki is a No for me especially because I feel it isn’t value for money. I don’t feel the need to buy something that wouldn’t last more than a year apart from sheets…

16. giggy

January 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

I love F&F too :)well it doesn’t really matter. as long as e dey cover my body

17. Geebabe

January 27, 2014 at 11:17 am

Since all clothing is disposable, I think the important thing is to buy the best you can afford. If it’s still in good condition when you are done with it, pass it on otherwise, bin it! Having said that, I don’t think any item I have bought from Primark has lasted long enough for me to pass on. They are great for kids, though because the kids outgrow the clothes before they wear out.

18. c'est moi

January 27, 2014 at 11:33 am

there’s a market for everybody depending on how much you want to spend. I can only buy Primark for kids (strictly play clothes) as they outgrow clothes very quickly or temporary winter wear eg thermal wear. I believe in online shopping. If you know your way around and subscribe to newsletters, you get amazing deals to fantastic designer wears that are not only durable but distinct (you can never go wrong with designer brands). I believe in quality not quantity as I’m not much of a shopper. So, online shopping, designer brands all the way and you’ll be shocked at the price tags 🙂

• TA

January 27, 2014 at 5:00 pm

Bless you sweetie. Thats me you just described right there. 🙂

19. Energybill

January 27, 2014 at 11:35 am

Primark- saving budget conscious fashionistas lol. Love it or hate it they must be doing something right somewhere having constantly posted profits during the recession and after while other high street brands recorded losses or a drop in profits. They even have a concession in Selfridges

20. Emy

January 27, 2014 at 11:43 am

Haba for naija nko where una dey shop?hmmMmmm

21. Ready

January 27, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I agree! January is a tediously long month, and I have been waiting for Jan. 31st since Jan 6th.
    Back on topic, I have bought a $20 red dress from Walmart before (HOT!, trust me…lasted about 2 years) and a Miley Cyrus $10 skater 2-tone grey skirt (lasted a year). I think one should just know to expect a short life span from them, and wear/wash them accordingly.
    I’m not a Primark, Atmosphere person, but that’s just because English clothes are boring to me…I’ve done the undershirts and cotton panties from them before tho’. No complaints.
    I wouldn’t pan an entire store…different needs, different stores. In the US, I sometimes do cheap stores like Ross and Marshall’s, Burlington Coat Factory, TJ Maxx and co…it works if you have the time/energy to walk through aisles of clothes and shoes, and a good eye for quality, you’ll get a good bargain.

January 27, 2014 at 2:59 pm

That’s me all over, when I’m there for work, I shop aswell, TJMaxx is my store, Neiman Last Call, and Burlington Coat Factory.

• Dee-USA

January 28, 2014 at 2:27 am

I haven’t shopped at Burlington since my college days. I still have an Anne Klein wool coat I got there in 2006. But somehow, the news about the store being sued for selling fake designer duds (Gucci was the main,) rubbed me the wrong way and I’ve never shopped there since. But I remember I used to get a lot of my shoes and clothes there in college. They were so cheap. But those shoes had virtually no cushion or support.

22. FunkyW

January 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Lol at all these names and all their customers. My clothes are mostly from Eko i.e Lagos market, on a faithful day when my sister and I have saved enough money, we’ll beg my mum to escort us to market ( for the fear of getting lost). It’ll be a gruelling day made up of walking from pillar to post, from Balogun to wherever , haggling over prices, tired legs, tired eyes, straight faces… anyway at the end of the day we’ll go home smiling with all our deals.

• bums

January 30, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Abi oo funky .i never travel pass ghana and dubai but i am always admired as i dey sabi combine well even where i work sef, the compliments i get daily sef ontop my clothes from every -every even aunty ngozi wey dey pack am come my house sef.packaging tinzz.all d uk/us shoppers, I haff taken notes o of d cheape and correct places and will surely visit both ends……

23. FunkyW

January 27, 2014 at 12:38 pm

I forgot to mention that some of the clothes at Lagos have their tags either cut off or scratched, the shopkeeper says its to ensure that his competitors don’t go and import his clothes.

24. Mz Socially Awkward...

January 27, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Collectibles!!! Hahahahaha!!!! Babe, you just brought back good memories of feeling like a babe in Uni when I would take my small change to go shopping…

And, Atoke, wait oh. You dey wash ya “draws” inside washing machine? You’re posh oh. I still dey use hand dey do my own… 🙂 🙂 As for the Primarni debate, yep, I’m with you. There are certain things which make sense to buy from Primark – items for layering (whether it’s tank tops and tees in the summer or long sleeve tops in the winter), socks, all manner tights, pyjamas (and you need to check out ASDA for sleeping clothes, too, they do a great selection), bedding, and basics for work (and here, I have to also recommend Matalan for selling affordable work clothes). I, however, draw the line at buying underwear from Primark – actually, I won’t advice anyone to buy underwear from any store which doesn’t market underwear as their primary business. All those bras from Next, ASDA, Primark, F&F etc. are really not durable.

Now, regarding the myth about not getting unique items from Primark, I beg to differ, have found some really ace pieces at Primark (never shoes, though, please don’t buy shoes there if you love your comfort) and dem make sense, tire. They were worth the price paid AND have lasted in my wardrobe for a few years.

My shopping dogma that to bargain hunt, if you find something chic at a good deal, it doesn’t matter what shop you find it in. However, every shop has particular areas of strength and my shopping focus totally depends on what I’m buying. I’ll get work clothes and everyday pieces at Primark, Matalan, H&M etc but won’t think of buying a pair of jeans from them or a winter coat, or bags, or shoes, or an outfit for a wedding, etc. … plus, I’m with your friend about Hawes & Curtis shirts – my people don turn am to uniform 🙂

• Dee-USA

January 28, 2014 at 2:34 am

Menn, you are reminding me of places I visited in the UK. I never remember Matalan, but my friend took me there for affordable work pieces. I actually bought some flats and cute wedges at that store. Some clutches. I have this clutch that gets loads of compliments that I bought for 10 pounds. I bought a load of stuff there in 2011, and while I don’t remember all of them, I still wear a polka dot top I got from Matalan and my wedges. So I guess the quality ain’t that bad. Although I doubt I’ve worn either up to 10 times.

25. Annie

January 27, 2014 at 12:46 pm

from Riveisland, to Zara, to next, to george, F&F, dorothypekins, Hawes and Curtis, Asos, newlook, sportdirect….this may not necessarily be designers like someone pointed out, but asos sells all sorts of designers, a lot of these UK/US retail shops sell for designers, right now i have never been to US or UK, but i shop there lols, i do not buy clothes in Lagos, i have my way of shopping from my desk and of course getting them shipped to naija, oh, you can talk to me and we discuss terms and conditions…hehehehhe

• Nanciejul

February 5, 2014 at 1:22 pm

Same here Annie, online shopping of life!!!! you will get them delivered to your doorstep in Nigeria.

• yellow lily

February 12, 2014 at 12:19 am

please educate me annie!! what website do you use to get them delivered to Nigeria!! Abeg

• Ada

February 15, 2014 at 8:48 pm

uk2meonline.com or the shopbarng.com do Uk shopping for me well

26. Moving On Swiftly

January 27, 2014 at 12:48 pm

But primark can have some nice things sha! cheap and cheerful. I have a bit more money now so doing more high end stores. Would defo still go into primark tho. Even though their stuff are getting more expensive. I just cant help thinking “ehn???! shirt for 15pounds in primark” and then dropping it and walking away. lol

• Atoke

January 27, 2014 at 3:48 pm

LOLLLLL Me sef! Like… Whatchyu doing being more than 5 quid?

27. Abednego

January 27, 2014 at 1:27 pm

Its like nobody even bothered to listen to that audio! That’s GOLD!!! I have died laffing and resurrected again. Hahahahaha!!! “Ushe onise, face your work” “U’re checking up on him like how” “MTN dont use to call people’s husbands like dis o”! I dont think I can achieve anything again today, I’ve got that audio on repeat!!! LMAO!

28. Abednego

January 27, 2014 at 1:31 pm

Its like nobody bothered to listen to that audio! That’s GOLD!!! I have died laffing and resurrected again. Hahahahaha!!! “Ushe onise, face your work” “U’re checking up on him like how” “MTN dont use to call people’s husbands like dis o”! I dont think I can achieve anything again today, I’ve got that audio on repeat!!! LMAO!

• lol!

January 31, 2014 at 12:11 pm

me too!! i’ve listened to it 3 times & counting now. “Ushe onise, face your work oh…” lol!!!!!! Naija women & their husbands sha!

29. misstee

January 27, 2014 at 1:36 pm

well primark is not bad at all and its inexpensive. I combine from new look to primark F&F and once in a blue moon forever 21. just rock what works best for you that’s it and it has to do with how you maintain your clothes.

30. linda

January 27, 2014 at 1:41 pm

i don’t mind the labels on the clothes as far as it suits my personality and a good stuff too, i just rock it.

31. Shona

January 27, 2014 at 1:43 pm

Urmmmm…I shop at Balogun market and aswani market.My mum follows me too just like Funmi.I’m still in my teens so I really don’t mind.Hope to be like y”all soon enough though.Be shopping @ primark,Asos,H&M and the likes.Mehn,I can’t wait to make MONEY.

32. Warri Babe

January 27, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Nawa o, shey na only obodo oyingbo pple dey for BN? Well back to the matter>>I shop anywhere, from gbajumo isale eko, balogun, idumota, yaba railway, Aswani, ojota night market to primark, matalan, topshop, george(asda), jenners, debenhams, newlook, M&S, asos, charity shops etc>>>anywhere sha, as far as i like and love it, I buy!!!Na comfort be the koko and how much I’m willing to spend.

33. AREA CODE

January 27, 2014 at 1:49 pm

from jcpenny h&m to cheap Chinese made clothes or good made in u.s.a on amazon for clothes but for shoes ,belts and bag take a trip and shop Italian on discount,i mean everything in my closet must do anniversary some 3 some 5years,ain’t gat time to get broke cause of shopping expensive names.

34. Dolapo

January 27, 2014 at 2:51 pm

I have a mixture of everything but I found out recently most of my clothes are from mango. Anyway, I’m currently in italy and I’ve decided to go the italian wear for shoes and dresses for occasion. My God! Once you go italian, you will likely hate yourself for patronizing those other stores. The finishing on their clothes and the way the fabric feels on your body is a fashion orgasm on its own.

• Vicki

January 31, 2014 at 3:52 pm

Hi Dolapo,Please name stores that I can shop at in Italy, I hope they deliver to the UK.

35. Product of Nigeria public education

January 27, 2014 at 2:52 pm

lol…..

tailored all the way…..and market streets sometimes.

36. Dee

January 27, 2014 at 3:02 pm

For Christmas I gave someone a nice personalized (initials) towel from Neiman Marcus as a gift, this guy went to the store to get some as gift for some people he knew, he saw price and ran for his wallet. We got to talking and he was like wow thanks though he had said that before but he was like thanks for the towel. He then told me how we would have really liked to get some but he just couldn’t afford it(he makes way more than I do). And then I told him my secret, I am a Neiman Marcus and Nordstrom shopper with a Walmart budget. Yes I buy almost everything on sale!!! People see me with the name brands and think man this girl gots the money even if I do I am not spending it like no one knows tomorrow. The summer clothes my husband and I use this summer are from last fall when they went on sale, our clothes for winter are from last spring. I like good things but my wallet shall not suffer heck no!!! I was forced to buy some designer skirt a few years ago for some women conference(full price) I was attending for my company. I can’t wear it today the thing just fell apart, if I had caught a sale I would not have bothered me as much. But Ross, Marshalls and co got some designer sometimes. My sister has a pair of Manolo Blahnik shoes she got for $10.00 not $100.00 but $10!!!. Omo, we are bargain hunters!!!

• MilzB

January 27, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Sorry o, but my interest in your comment is the guy you are buying Neiman Marcus for… why does it feel like there’s something else to this story?

• Dee

January 27, 2014 at 8:09 pm

Because you have a dirty mind!!! What is wrong with buying a guy a towel for Christmas??? BTW my husband was there when I got it and gave it to him, my siblings were also present when we exchanged gifts…Narrow mindedness… I as a rule give people what they need and what I would use myself. Lord deliver us from narrow minded people.

• Dee

January 27, 2014 at 8:18 pm

So I have to ask what do I get a male friend and colleague that will be acceptable or should I say would not look suspicious to you??? I was brought to only give people what I would use myself irrespective of their status or background. So if it looks suspicious to you then I guess you are the one with the issue not me. Maybe you just need to learn what gift giving is really all about, it is not about giving people your junk, you know

37. Evagreen

January 27, 2014 at 3:17 pm

I wear whatever is of good quality, fits and which I can reasonably afford. The names don’t mean much

38. Simsi

January 27, 2014 at 3:46 pm

I’m a fashion designer. So I get to make most of my clothes. But I do shop once in a while… Ny place works for me tho

39. Ashanti

January 27, 2014 at 4:51 pm

goodwill!!!!! sometimes thrift stores……baybay they got some quality stuff there 🙂

40. Grown Woman

January 27, 2014 at 4:56 pm

oh i love my newlook,dorothy,topshop coz thy sell stuff for tall ladies like my self.Primark has good items to.For bra n underwear M&S is the best 🙂 can’t wait to go ths yr…

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 27, 2014 at 6:23 pm

You know, I’ve heard a lot of praise regarding M&S bras but they’ve, sha, always let me down what with the elastic straps tending to lose their tension in no time at all. Ever since a friend recommended Debenhams for bras, I’ve never looked back. And Lascenza have also been a very welcome discovery (especially during their sale).

• O

January 27, 2014 at 6:51 pm

i tell you…i always shopped M&S for bras, but last summer my friend told me to try Debenhams, i did and ended up buying 4 bras even though i had planned to get just 2. Also i think the fitting i did at Debenhams was more accurate than that of M&S cos somehow the M&S bras don’t fully pack my FF cups well…..so na to go raid Debenhams again this summer oooo

• Grace

January 29, 2014 at 1:43 pm

babe one lasenza bra I bought almost made me stop breathing. it was my size o but the thing tightness nearly killed me. even I splashed out on their panties and they all washed off. these days I wait for marks and spencer to go on sale to get braz and panties.

41. Que

January 27, 2014 at 5:30 pm

Primark will always be useful, even though i’ ve outgrown it 4 d most part unless its necessary… Asos has replaced primark 4 me. Ooooo I love my Zara, TBaker, Jaeger, Reiss et al…. btw these n any designer sales plus designer outlet store I find, I’m covered..european designers get me. .I love when I can look at my wardrobe and not see d age of d clothes./accessories… so my shopping rule is- style/quality/budget….if they click, we go!

42. Newbie

January 27, 2014 at 6:31 pm

I will shop anywhere. Truth be told, there were some shops that I never even used to consider when I was younger (and poorer :-)), as in I would just walk past them as if they don’t exist or as if they were hardware stores. So naturally, Primarni and the like were my mainstay. I have to say that I disagree with most people on here that say Primark gear generally aren’t durable. I still have some of my earliest primark clothes, just can’t wear them because they don’t fit amymore. They have definitely gotten more expensive, expanded their range and are giving thte big cheeses a run for their money. A few years back Monsoon took them to court because they copied one of their bestsellers. Primark was selling their skirt for like £11, Monsoon had theirs up at £69.99. The popular press had a field day. Pe, if Monsoon felt theirs was so much better quality, how come they are taking Promark to court? Answer, because they know there’s really no difference and if you put them side by side, a savvy buyer would go for the Primark version. The funny thing was, Primark didn’t even make too much noise, they. sold out, and happily settled.
    Back to topic. Now, I shop any and everywhere, but I only ever shop if I need an outfit. Gone are my days of scouring the sales and coming home with armloads of stuff I don’t really need, bought with money I don’t really have. Iwill buy an outfit if a) I need it b)it looks good to me c) it looks good on me (there is a difference between b and c, ladies) d)it feels comfortable and e)it seems like good value for monet at the time. So I still shop at Primark. And it’s not just limited to underwear and jimjams, althouh I swear by their thermalwear, it’s everything (ok sans shoes, they haven’t quite got the comfort factor right)… What’s interesting is that some shops that Iwould never have wandered into some years back, I now do. Maybe it’s age (the first time found myself in Hobbs I was like – what am I doing here? Then when I actually bought and paid for something there I was like chei, I have aged o. Hobbs clothes always used to seem so old-ladyish to me from the outside. And maybe it’s the added confidence that comes from knowing that if I really like that Karen Millen piece, I can pay for it without wincing. In all of that, I never knock any shop. If I wander in and don’t like what i see, I keep it moving.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

January 27, 2014 at 9:12 pm

Babes!! Hobbs is my current
      randomly-wander-in-and-see-what-new-find-I-can-walk-away-with place
      to shop. I think their selling point is understated elegance and I
      always leave the store feeling like a proper lady 🙂

• Dee-USA

January 28, 2014 at 3:01 am

Where are my U.S. based shoppers, please come and share tips on sales and discounts. I’ve never heard of Hobbs, but in the U.S. H&M is my randomly-wander-in-and-see-what-I-find store. Online, I’m a huge Amazon, Asos, DSW, JC Penney (Usually just the Duro Olowu line sha,) Victoria Secret shopper. I don’t even like going to the malls anymore actually. I look for free shipping deals first, then if I can’t find it online, I’ll go to the store.

• Dee-USA

January 28, 2014 at 3:16 am

TheLimited.com is also another great place to shop online for good prices.

43. Atoke

January 27, 2014 at 6:47 pm

Yay! I finally got the audio to work!!!!!! You guys should please listen. Hilarious stuff.

• TA

January 27, 2014 at 8:03 pm

I still cant listen to the audio,oh well,let me try again.

• Dee-USA

January 28, 2014 at 3:08 am

Hahaha. I was wondering what audio you were referring to. The babe tried to keep her cool sha. Please can you translate what she said in Yoruba?

• laide

January 28, 2014 at 3:43 am

it is not working oo, cant listen to it

• xoxo

January 28, 2014 at 4:43 am

Just listened to the audio. LWKMD!!” Ushe, face ur work ooo!!”…” E pe Daddy wa””. Hahaha, hilarious!!!

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

January 28, 2014 at 8:00 am

I don’t still get how she translated from “It’s not my line. I am only working for them”, To “Lo pe daddy wa”, to Etisalat gbokoloko.” Did her husband owe anyone?

44. Bobosteke & Lara Bian

January 27, 2014 at 6:59 pm

I recently took an inventory of my closet as I have plenty sisters of both the consanguine and affinity mold. I also wanted to make space for the big girl I am now becoming (by the way, “big girl” status invoked by relatives who don’t want to give pocket money anymore). My wardrobe is in one word, eclectic. I look at labels for information purposes not because I am a fashion freak, half the time I don’t know who or what I am wearing. In fact, I remember rocking a black and white stripped skirt, and an appreciative female admirer said “bodicon right?” I looked at her innocently and said “I have no clue”. I Googled bodicon straight and found what it meant.

As here for Nigeria, we no too get them retail and have very few above average name shops, so we go to our trusted boutiques. These shops are homes to a specialized or a broad spectrum of designers: I mean high end American, Italian, UK, Indian, or the ubiquitous Turkey. ‘Sides that, I have a friend whose mum is African American and a lovely fashion snob. She does the travelling and I gladly do the buying. She also brings in these shoes by a Jewish shoe maker for the workplace that are crafted so beautifully with very good fitting. More importantly, they are highly resistant to Nigerian roads and sidewalks.

I love haute couture however, and I would say they constitute more than half of my wardrobe (which by the way is highly diminished so don’t overestimate half). Some purchased with labels, stamps and the works, and some remain from my bend down days. I mean, who would give up an Oscar de la Renta casual because it purchased using the “bending and standing” technique.

Vintage, however still remains the truest quality. Shout out to that hidden vintage shop in Surulere, Lagos for those beautiful pieces they sell. I have no idea where she gets them from but I’m sure glad she does.

• TA

January 27, 2014 at 7:45 pm

Sis,Please share now. Don’t be giving me that side-eye jor,you know what am talking about. LOL! Yels,the hidden in a koro in Surulere haute couture shop for vintage clothes.

• mrs chidukane

January 27, 2014 at 10:26 pm

More than half of your wardrobe consists of haute couture pieces really? Ok

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

January 30, 2014 at 11:55 am

I have an aunt who would rather give you clothes than money. If haute couture had a name, it would be hers. ( Un) fortunately, she views me as a mini her, I get to have her cast offs, which are way too dressy for my league and just hang in my wardrobe. I cant give them out and I rarely go to the kind of places where such dresses are worn. Sometimes I take them to the tailor to have them redesigned to suit my level, other times I take pieces from them and make something else. Most times I just ooh and sigh and hang them back.

• Ready

January 29, 2014 at 11:08 am

Abeg, share! Where are people finding these great bend down select clothes? I never have a great experience with them, and I work in Eko gangan, and live just around Eko bridge. Oscar de la whaa? Please drop emails and phone numbers, let me go and find them, especially as most foreign websites including Asos are falling hand with Naija debit cards and shipping to Naija.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

January 30, 2014 at 12:10 pm

@ TA and Ready
      I changed my phone and lost her contact. I’m travelling to Lagos this weekend and would get her number off her. So watch this space.

#The Oscar de la what was a lucky buy in one random bale.

45. xoxox

January 27, 2014 at 7:15 pm

please but who really cares where yall shop!
    did no one not listen to uche’s convo! LOL!!!
    “Uche face you work, don’t snatch another man’s husband, because Mtn don’t call their customers, so face your work!” iyawo of the phone, don’t even mess with this woman!! lol!

46. In My Mind

January 27, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Come oh…. Is it that none of y’all listened to the audio clip? I’m in all kinds of stitches here…. gosh… that sneaky woman! You work for them. yeah, right!
    but you know…. Atoke, you call this professionalism, I think that’s the beginning of the issue… Uche handled the situation well, but even her tone was not very professional. But then again, you can’t help a situation like this when such a ‘moron’ picks up the call.

back to the matter, who cares about freaking tags???… I care about if the grade of cotton or whatever the heck they are mixing into the fabrics will give me an itch.

• Bobosteke & Lara Bian

January 27, 2014 at 8:32 pm

Thank God I’m home alone. I just finished cackled like a witch. Etisalat, gbokoloko! (did I get that right?), Kai, fear of husband snatchers has no nationality, abeg.

I agree with you over the semi professional tone she used. It should have been more very formal but differing. But considering the general biatchiness of some Nigerian CC officers, she did more than good.

And Uche, don’t forget to face your work, o!

• whocares

January 28, 2014 at 12:07 pm

lmaoooooooooooooooo.. someone just sent it to me now. I was not aware it was here. LMAOO. it is sooo funny. the veiled threat every time she called Uche’s name was my favourite part,

47. Ibukun

January 27, 2014 at 8:04 pm

*shrugs* I love my Primark.

48. dami

January 27, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Oh some of those charity shops be giving me life
    sometimes

• isabella

January 30, 2014 at 1:37 pm

No homo, I love you….it’s so hard to find REAL Nigerian ladies….

49. Peaches77

January 27, 2014 at 9:48 pm

Regular Tops and gowns : dorothy perkins, river island, top shop, debenham. Shoes: most likely online from zalando( very good online collection), River island too, maybe debenham, in fact anywhere i see good quality + my style…. But most likely online. Handbags: italian, maybe will have to wait till i can get to balogun to get me a solid italian handbag or maybe online from zalando yet again.
    Hmm Zara, items arent usually as seen on line, so most times will have to buy from shop. Dear Primark, cant ever complete shoping without snooping around to hunt for outstanding pieces or everyday clothing or even regular bras. Hmm, Love underwear from topshop, will maybe check out debenham as some one has suggested.
    Bottom line, the best place to hunt for good quality and hunt for best prices is usually from the comfort of me bed.

50. Suki

January 27, 2014 at 11:38 pm

Primark= Necessary evil. Even if you made a pact with ur wallet not to walk in there, you magically find ur self in there, especially if you are shopping at Westfield or lakeside. It feels like there’s something you are missing out on, it’s crazy…

51. Lady

January 28, 2014 at 6:03 am

One question, are there charity/vintage/thrift stores or flea markets in Lagos or Nigeria??

52. Stella Kashmoney

January 28, 2014 at 6:24 am

I can Never Ever shop in Primark. I learnt the hard way. All you need to do to end the life of the garment is to throw it into the washer. That’s all.

53. genevieve

January 28, 2014 at 9:20 am

primark-my pyjamas and winter socks/scarfs, h&m-trousers(fits me perfectly, i’m addicted to them),blouses and skirts, dorothy perkins- dresses and blouses, debenhams- undies, bags, liverpool sunday market- once in a while. lol

54. Babe

January 28, 2014 at 9:45 am

I shop anywhere! Gosh I miss thrifting like crazy…I have a ton of shoes from Zara but never bought any full price. They are always too ridiculous. Office blazers are from HM – I must add on sale as well. I love TJMaxx- very understated but you find good quality and even some luxury brands for affordable prices. Oh dear, I miss DSW…I’m always on the discount aisle. Mango isnt bad too…So is banana republic and gap and F21. I love chiffon blouses from F21 and sometimes they really last. Lets just say I am a bargain hunter. I shop anywhere from goodwill to salvation army. Lets just say I MISS SOCAL like crazy. I will never ever forget my days of SouthCoast Plaza and Ontario Mills Outlet mall. I must def travel this year. #End of Rant.

• Babe

January 28, 2014 at 9:57 am

I forgot to add Nordstrom RACK. Chai you will be wearing designer pieces for cheap cheap and carrying designer bags too. All is cheap and when the rack clears the rack omg! out of this world. In all you dont have to break the bank to look good.

I rarely shop in Nigeria…but when I do it is balogun market or wherever I find what I need at an affordable price. Aint nobady gat time to be buying over priced things. I remember the look on my face when I saw a fossil watch I bought for less than $100 at N36K at Ikeja mall. I was like wohoo my watch is this expensive?? lol

55. Bibi

January 28, 2014 at 12:21 pm

I like this article but the highlight is the “Uche, face your work”. You need to listen to that clip.
    I buy things everywhere and anywhere as long as they look nice and are of quality.

56. rukiberi

January 29, 2014 at 12:41 pm

Primark’s becoming high-end o! Like joke like joke, ul enter Primark and be spending at least a 100 quid. ur average blouse there goes for like 10-15 quid.

57. isabella

January 30, 2014 at 1:27 pm

58. isabella

January 30, 2014 at 1:32 pm

No offence, I kind of find this a little condescending. For what it’s worth, shopping at primary is not a SIN…they do have varieties and quality stuff too. Even stuffs that are quite expensive and properly made. I think the key thing is mixing stuffs together. Hennes and Mauritz oooh, zara oooh, primark oooh.Harrods ni o, newlook, monsoon. Debenhams ni oooh, Dorothy Perkins and yeah…primark…..just mix them properly. I am at work at the moment(in Nigeria)and I have on a newlook blouse, a cropped trousers which I bought from primary at Stratford, a Burberry wristwatch, accessories from primary, a next shoe and damn, I look good….if you live in Nigeria and do not have the luxury of travelling out, you buy what is nice and mix and match them properly. If you live abroad, you can decide to loathe primarks. My sister can’t has a really big wardrobe and I can almost swear she has only got few items from primark…..she shops at monsoon and the likes….why? She waits for sales, she buys when she really needs too…..no matter how expensive…..she likes quality……few time he goes into primarks…..it’s because she cant find what she needs anywhere else…..and yessss, she can afford high street stores and designers….truth is, it’s a personal thing…maybe Atoke is passed that level….nevertheless, telling others shopping in a particular store is……….that’s really condescending…

59. isabella

January 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm

For everywhere you see primary, kindly note I was gonna type primarks…my tablet is too smart for it’s own good

60. Tim'tim

January 31, 2014 at 9:16 am

I shop everywhere mehn. Anytime am in London i shop for everything everywhere infact i go to Romford public market (tuesdays, thursdays & saturdays) to shop too and here in Yankee i shop everywhere. I mix everything and combination is all that matters. How u put ur things together to define d look u want matters too. Simple

61. Newbie

February 2, 2014 at 4:51 pm

I get this feeling (from comments on this post and a couple of others, that people mistakenly equate ‘high street’ with ‘high end’. Abeg, nothing is further from the truth. High street shops are your regular shops that can be found on any high street, anywhere in the UK. E.g. primark is a high street chain. In recent years, you will probably find them in shopping malls as well as or instead of your traditional high street. High end is well….high end. The more expensive end of the scale, if you like.

62. phummie