News

Chasing Shadows

Elohor Omonemu

Two calls from my sister at 5 am had me grumbling as I reached for my phone to call her back. “You this girl, don’t you know people are usually asleep at 5 am, ehn?” I asked immediately she answered my call (you see, I’d promised to send her some things through my cousin who was flying back to Abuja this morning, and I thought she was calling to remind me not to forget them). “Hmm, Elohor you won’t believe what just happened, armed robbers just left the house, David is dead.” I was stunned! Speechless! Armed robbers? How? When? What happened? I stuttered in confusion. Ah! Dead ke? My mind was reeling with so much wild thoughts! So many “what if questions” filled my head. I won’t scare you all with the gory details, but trust me, it must have been an utter nightmare for my sister, my cousin, his wife and kids and the house maid as they locked themselves up in the room upstairs hearing the wall being broken down by God knows what. Do armed robbers carry wrecking balls? This is just crazy world we live in! Think of the trauma the little kids must have gone through, not just being there, but hearing all the sounds coming from downstairs and then the sound of a gun being fired. The only gun shots kids should hear should be from Tom and Jerry or something, not in their house, in the living room right where they play and watch T.V.

You’re probably wondering…… where is she going with all of this? You see, life is nothing! Doesn’t it amaze you how easily humans are struck down? Even the mightiest of men, the wealthiest, the most intelligent, the prettiest, all of us are frail. We have no power whatsoever to save ourselves in the face of death. The pound sterling , no matter how high its exchange rate is can’t buy back life, that knowledge you have can’t either, death won’t say ‘Oh look, here’s a pretty one , think I’ll just let her live’ Reality check: that just doesn’t happen. Death is just inevitable. The when or the how or where is totally beyond our control, we really don’t know when we’ll draw our last breath. We all pray for longevity, but truly who knows tomorrow? Who is able to say what will happen?

Some of us go through life with this air of arrogance, probably because of our job, our family status, people we know or think we know or for other funny reasons. There’s just this attitude of ‘self-sufficiency’ and I’m not talking about money here. Some people just feel like they don’t need God anymore and treat him like he’s a buffet table,”Oh God, I’d like an extra large portion of blessings and special grace and mercy, a rich vegetable salad of wealth, good health and prosperity, and oh God? While you are at it, can you just cause all my enemies to die by fire? And please send an angel to help me hasten up that contract approval? Oh no, I don’t wouldn’t like any helping of true worship or dedication and service to you nor do I want you to correct me when I go astray, my plate is filled already. Thank you God, that will be all for now, talk to you next when I need help.”

We go through life chasing shadows and meaningless material things. Building up things that can be taken away or destroyed easily, forgetting that what truly matters are not our material possessions but the people around us and our relationships with them.
The thing is, this ‘Life is short’ saying is a cliché that really doesn’t even truly describe how short life is. We should just learn to live for the moment, build meaningful lasting relationships, be a friend, love God earnestly, worship Him (this is the sole purpose for mans’ creation in the first place), forgive, get involved in charity, give back to society, make an impact in peoples’ lives, do what you love, spend quality time with your family and friends, lend a helping hand, give your life meaning, spread love all around you and have fun while you are a it.

Just find that which gives you happiness because anything less is not acceptable, go through life with a certain amount of joie de vivré.

Photo Creditwomanist-musings.com
____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Elohor Omonemu is a blogger, major introvert, absolutely crazy about fashion, speaks two languages; English and sarcasm and volunteers with Slum2Schol.She blogs at : www.elohoromonemu.wordpress.com
Follow her on Twitter: @Mz_fabulousity

Elohor Omonemu has a day job as a Human Resource and Business Operations Manager, but outside of work, she is a creative mind who loves trying out new stuff. She is adventurous, loves travel, a coffee addict some might say and loves Jesus. She is on Instagram @el.ohor and Twitter @elohor_om, and used to blog at elohoromonemu.wordpress.com

1. AA

January 10, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Am sorry for your loss. You are too right, life is too short for all this nonsense

2. Deeblinky

January 10, 2014 at 2:39 pm

Deep

3. roots

January 10, 2014 at 2:40 pm

Makes sense.

4. www.anemistyle.com

January 10, 2014 at 2:45 pm

#Greatarticle Elohor, I recently read 1 John 2:16-17 and it talks about chasing worthless things like wanting your own way, wanting everything for yourself, wanting to appear important, craving things because people have them and materialism; everything will fade sooner rather than later! It was a real eye opener and a cause of some sober reflection.

5. Sim

January 10, 2014 at 2:54 pm

WHo was David?

6. Abiola

January 10, 2014 at 2:56 pm

Yes, everything will fade indeed…very wise words for reflection.

7. apt

January 10, 2014 at 3:12 pm

Excellent write up

8. Thatgidigirl

January 10, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Insightful write up , until I read “speaks English and sarcasm”. Since when is it cool to be described as sarcastic?

• Laide

January 10, 2014 at 6:17 pm

It might not be cool, but it might be true

9. LamLam

January 10, 2014 at 3:43 pm

Really Really Deep

10. Ayobami

January 10, 2014 at 4:31 pm

”Doesn’t it amaze you how easily humans are struck down? Even the mightiest of men, the wealthiest, the most intelligent, the prettiest, all of us are frail. We have no power whatsoever to save ourselves in the face of death. The pound sterling , no matter how high its exchange rate is can’t buy back life, that knowledge you have can’t either, death won’t say ‘Oh look, here’s a pretty one , think I’ll just let her live’ Reality check: that just doesn’t happen. Death is just inevitable. The when or the how or where is totally beyond our control, we really don’t know when we’ll draw our last breath”. This part is very striking and true,we ought to reflect on it

11. Iyke

January 10, 2014 at 4:37 pm

Rest in piece to David.
    My Mirror Talk…
    I think DEATH is just the beginning of the life that we have been promised…….
    In life…in time…in ones evolution to be more than what’s given…Arriving at the awakening moment in your personal growth…when you realize and embrace what is truly REAL and affirming…no longer enveloped by fear…..anger…meanness and hate… Aware and conscious that these debilitating indulgent emotions we elect to seed and nurture(Fear of death)…..proliferate upon other…are toxic…poisonous and damning to our soul and spirit…our expression…and suffering hearts. Given the true understanding that harboring the swell of negativity is no match or measure against the fullness of organic forgiveness…for yourself and those you have held in contempt. Coming to terms with the power…freedom and deliverance of forgiveness…is the enlightenment of truth. To forgive authentically and sincerely…is to love with the wealth of your earnest self and receive the gift of purposeful love…for life.And when you live like this, you realize that DEATH IS JUST THE BEGINNING and something not to be feared.
    Let us embrace life with purpose and dignity…Who are we not to give thanks and hold in high regard…the power and mercy of divine love and humbling grace…DEATH IS DEAD already, for we live!

12. Mz Socially Awkward...

January 10, 2014 at 5:08 pm

You, my friend, are speaking on something which has been occupying my thoughts. Last week, o watched “Zero Dark Thirty”, a movie which starts with the voice recordings of the people who died in the 9/11 attacks. One of the victims (I pray she’s resting in peace) made the statement I remember the most: she was speaking to emergency services after a plane had crashed into the building she was in and there was just brutal awareness in her voice when she said “I’m going to die, aren’t I? Oh God, I’m going to die”.

She must have first of all had the hope of rescue, simply because that’s what we’re conditioned to think – if there’s an emergency & your taxes are being used responsibly, the rescue services will be sent to save you. I don’t care how Christian you are, we all have had moments of thinking like that. Now I appreciate exactly how empty the space is that seperates me from death. The only thing filling that space is God’s Grace, whether I’m driving on the so-called safe roads, flying in the so-called safer planes or expecting protection from the so-called effective system. These things help my comfort level and certainly aid the quality of life but they’re not a substitute of what God does for me.

Good advice and message received, thanks.

• Iyke

January 10, 2014 at 5:57 pm

Thank you!
      Not willing to serve excuses when my actions reveal I’m not trying. Doing anything in life “half ass,” hardly worth the effort I’m finding.
      Do it right…tight…make it matter…better…whatever…the weather. It might only last through the night…fading in the morning light.
      Life lived and spent in kind and grace…is more than enough for me…I find.

January 10, 2014 at 6:37 pm

So well said. God is my only protector. I put every hope in him 24/7. Only His grace is guaranteed.

africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/

13. Hiphee

January 10, 2014 at 6:44 pm

I am glad i read this… just jolted me back to reality. our pretty face, wealth, fame, job, friends, family cant protect us from the death sting. We should do a daily review of how we have impact the lives around us, time is indeed short and noone knows the end

14. Neimzzy

January 10, 2014 at 7:00 pm

A word for the wise is enough. This piece is published at the right time as well the start of a new year. So inspiring and thought provoking. Keep it up

15. beautifulonyinye

January 10, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Yes oh,life is indeed Short and fleeting.Only God in one’s life can give meaning to life.As a medical doctor,I’m surrounded by sickness and death so ireally appreciate. life and good health.sorry elohor about ur loss

16. dami

January 10, 2014 at 9:05 pm

This is just too deep. God’s grace is absolutely amazing. The grace that doesn’t care if you live in one of the world’s poorest or disadvantaged country. Ever loving God

17. kenky

January 10, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Interesting

18. Dora the explorer

January 10, 2014 at 9:52 pm

Just when I needed a word! God bless you Elohor!!

19. Busola

January 10, 2014 at 10:39 pm

This article pierced my soul.. Words so true!!! I’m convicted by them. May God give us the grace to live life purposefully.

20. Blue

January 10, 2014 at 11:16 pm

I totally relate with this write up.
    I and my husband had a huge quarrel and we ended up forgetting to lock our balcony door. I loved this balcony so much, because it is an escape for me, anytime i want to have a feel of outdoor without actually going out of the compound.
    We both went to bed angrily, and while we slept, the bigger boys jumped into the compound and climbed up the balcony (by a ladder that the AC guy left in the compound); and entered our bedroom. All i knew was, I woke up to see myself covered in some white powdery stuff and with a very bad headache!
    I woke my husband up and he complained of headache too, and he was covered in the same powder. To cut the story short, our Ipads, phones and the most painful, my wedding and engagement rings, were all gone!
    Now, these guys could have killed us, to think that they were there in the bedroom with us!! what if they had Machete, guns etc…… Life is really short! live, love, let others live by doing good unto thy neighbours and above all, love God.

• Msunderstood

January 12, 2014 at 2:21 am

Wow, one of my fears about moving back to naija. Imagine the guts, in my bedroom, I can’t deal.

21. @ify_eva

January 11, 2014 at 3:33 am

Na wa o @blue!, Thank God fot d gift of life
    braungirl.blogspot.com/?m=1

22. Jacky

January 11, 2014 at 4:10 am

I live by these words of Jesus because it basicallys sums up the whole bible
    Seek ye FIRST the kingdom of God and ALL other things shall be added unto you
    Note and understand… Not almost first but FIRST and not almost all but ALL
    He is God,he doesn’t lie!!!

23. Stella

January 11, 2014 at 7:16 am

With respect to materialism, I don’t see anything wrong with going after material things. the problem would be the value placed on these things. After all, who really aspires to be poor? No one. So yes we seek “things”, a house, a car, quality clothes, the ability to take care of physical appearance. There is nothing wrong with that.
    It is a shame that some people don’t value life. Its not just in Nigeria, everyday in the US.

24. Dr. N

January 11, 2014 at 11:25 am

Blue! Your own experience is mind boggling! Have these people become so intelligent? Elorhor, great article!

drnsmusings.wordpress.com

25. Blue

January 11, 2014 at 6:25 pm

@ Dr. N…..trust me, it takes some level of intelligence
    to plan any robbery, even pick-pockets make -out some strategy to
    achieve their purpose. I didnt mentioned this before, but the AC
    guy planned the whole thing, i wont bore you with the détails of
    how we found out. But i suspect he didnt hurt us because I have
    always been nice to him . Bottom line, mind the artisans that come
    to work in your house, you never know….

26. Anonymous

January 11, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Elorhor u are right is too short as for those they want to
    achieve everything in life better listen to this all of us should
    pls think twice and look back.

27. Grace

January 11, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Nice writeup. I don’t think the article is deep as some
    people think it is. it is just the basic truth that most people do
    not want to agree with or to be reminded of everytime. But
    regardless it does not change the fact that onec one closes their
    eyes to this world they open their eyes immediately into eternal
    life. I ave already started planning for my eternity and where I
    want to spend it because long ago I decided that I do not want to
    be in the line of fire or start having regrets at the point of no
    return. I believe with the access to free information and a wealth
    of information it will not be overly hard to study about God, get
    to know him and build a relationship with him as it is the best
    decision and the best thing that can ever happen to anyone. please
    people do not let the things you see deceive you it is actually the
    Devil that makes you think that to serve God is a waste of time,
    its boring or gives you some lame reason. make up your mind to know
    God for yourself and not based only what you hear people say about
    him. this was my quest. I was overly curious with millions of
    questions on my mind that human beings could not answer. I wanted
    to know so I know the right way to live as a person and not because
    I wanted to prove to others that I know more than them or to
    question God’s authority. I wanted to know right from wrong the
    right direction to take for my own life and for others around me
    who are really interested about God too. I wanted to understand the
    person of God, the trinity, the whole bible. I took out time to
    study- not just reading. to read to know and understand is
    different from just studying. and when I did I got to understand
    more about myself, human beings and the world and today I have
    experienced God’s love, protection and provision first hand when
    most people just hear such sayings about God’s love and cannot
    comprehend it and relate it to their everyday lives or experiences.
    God himself said if you seek him you will find him when you search
    for him with ALL YOUR HEART. sadly some people never seek him with
    all their hearts. he knows if you are seeking him cos you want
    something or to understand him, to know him and want to develop a
    lasting relationship with him. @Stella. As you said some peoples
    idols are material things. Anything that is taking the position
    that God is meant to be occupying is an idol. it could be ones job,
    Jewelleries, material things the lust for fame, money, career
    anything at all. A proper child of God is not meant to be poor
    because God is not poor. the time some people work so hard and use
    the money to be buying things and accumulating things if they use
    it to ensure that communities and people who have not heard the
    gospel do so through their giving to the things of God it will
    really be wiser. as we will still give account to God on how we
    spent our money here on earth because many of the gifts, talents,
    intellect and abilities used to get the wealth actually came from
    God and many people use their God given talents and abilities in
    the wrong places and for the wrong things as well. Mark 10:23-24.
    23 And Jesus looked around and said to His disciples, With what
    difficulty will those who possess wealth and keep on holding it
    enter the kingdom of God! 24 And the disciples were amazed and
    bewildered and perplexed at His words. But Jesus said to them
    again, Children, how hard it is for those who trust (place their
    confidence, their sense of safety) in riches to enter the kingdom
    of God! the problem is a lot of people hold on to material things
    so dearly and trust in them. Remember Cornelius in the bible too he
    was rich and always gave to the poor and because of his generosity
    God spoke to Peter to preach the message of salvation to him and
    his family so they can be saved and go to heaven at the end of
    their lives on earth? in Mark 10;29 29 Jesus said, Truly I tell
    you, there is no one who has given up and left house or brothers or
    sisters or mother or father or children or lands for My sake and
    for the Gospel’s 30 Who will not receive a hundred times as much
    now in this time–houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and
    children and lands, with persecutions–and in the age to come,
    eternal life. Jesus said anything you give away because of him you
    will receive it back in a 100 fold in this life and also in the
    life to come. that is you will be rewarded in this life not only
    waiting till you die before you get the reward so the reward for
    serving God starts here and continues when you leave this
    world.

28. mschief

January 12, 2014 at 12:41 am

My prayer has always been that God should help me stay grounded in Him and take from me anything that replaces Him in my life. Then you remember that it is His grace that keeps me safe and it has nothing to do with what I’ve done, what i’m doing or what I plan to do. Death abounds all around, it’s just God that keeps us safe, His unmerited favour.

29. Duru John de Beloved

January 12, 2014 at 3:56 pm

This is such a Wowing piece. It just draws you back to the reality of the moment. May God increase you in wisdom..

30. Chimi

January 12, 2014 at 8:05 pm

True talk give ur life to Christ and everything will fall into place

31. Modella

January 13, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Deep menn!!!

32. uju

January 16, 2014 at 4:04 pm

my darling Elohor….thanks for this piece…for inspiring others to live life for others and most importantly for God.its amazing how some of us go through life thinking we brought ourselves here and forgetting to live out the purpose for which we are created. Life is fleeting…here today,gone tomorrow…lets live out the fullness of each day, and make our Creator proud.God bless you babe.