News

Court Sentences Akolade Arowolo to Death for Murdering his Wife in 2011

BellaNaija.com

Sentenced to Death - February 2014 - BellaNaija

Akolade Arowolo who made headlines in 2011 for stabbing his banker wife Titilayo to death, has been sentenced to death by a Lagos high court.

The judgement was made today Friday 21st February 2014 by Justice Lateefat Okunnu. “I pronouce the defendant guilty and accordingly sentenced to death”, she said.

The Justice revealed that although there were no eyewitnesses, the evidence presented by the prosecution had proved the murder charge against the convict.

A forensic pathologist who testified in court, revealed that there were at least 76 stab wounds found on the deceased. The wounds damaged her organs including the lung, liver and the diaphragm; it also penetrated through her heart.

The forensic investigation was to prove wrong claims by the defense team that the injuries were self-inflicted.

if you recall, 32-year old Arowolo was arrested for the murder of his wife in December 2011 at their home in Isolo Lagos. Titilayo was an employee at Skye Bank Plc.

1. Flora

February 21, 2014 at 3:49 pm

As it should be!!!

• Ammy

February 22, 2014 at 9:59 am

Can’t believe this happens in Naija, have always though only the non culture ppl are the crazy ones, but thank God she still got justice and I hope the kids get looked after with love.

2. Tayo

February 21, 2014 at 4:00 pm

omg! stab wounds *sadface* may her soul continue to rest well…

3. Anon

February 21, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Justice!

4. funmi

February 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm

finally justice served

5. X Factor

February 21, 2014 at 4:06 pm

76 stab wounds.. Jesus!!!!!,
    The man deserves to die really
    .. However I’m worried for the little daughter…I pray she doesn’t have a hard time growing up to learn about her parents’ death….
    Lord help us to manage our anger; Just imagine how a moment of anger in foolishness can ruin lives, even that of an innocent child…

6. naana

February 21, 2014 at 4:07 pm

gbammm!!!!
    but mercy pls…..at most a life sentence.
    76 stabs????

• Robbie

February 21, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Did you say mercy? there is something wrong with you

• Bloop

February 21, 2014 at 4:57 pm

They have a child. So a life sentence is appropriate. He deserves is punishment. But the 2 year old dosnt.

• Thislife

February 21, 2014 at 6:04 pm

@Bloop, you mean you would allow the child to be around a person that can stab his spouse 70 something times? What he needs is to seek God’s grace in the jail cell, turn a new leaf and know that he messed up with ever being a part of the child’s life. Let’s just be real, how is this child going to process her father being so evil towards her mother? Robbing her of a mother’s love. You think he will be any good in her life?

• bloop

February 22, 2014 at 5:43 pm

@thislife, u are right. the child can’t be around him. but the thought of loosing both parents might be too much on the child’s development. I mean his punishment is very just but I’m of the opinion that death sentence is an easy way out. solitary confinement with life imprisonment.

7. Strawberrycandy

February 21, 2014 at 4:21 pm

Sad news to read about on my birthday when I’m thanking God for life.
    For whatever reasons he did it, I pray God forgives him and has mercy on him.

• MeMe

February 21, 2014 at 7:40 pm

On a more positive note…. Happy Birthday! Hope you have an amazing day x

• Bide

February 21, 2014 at 10:21 pm

Happy Birthday..

• God is so powerful

February 22, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Happy birthday dearest! My first born was born also on 21 of February! He turned 25 yesterday . Enjoy your day and many more to come .

8. mrs chidukane

February 21, 2014 at 4:22 pm

Exactly. I’m glad.How could he even put up the defense that the stab wounds were self inflicted. Really?

9. Top Afamzer

February 21, 2014 at 4:25 pm

Closure….. Finally…. May God Forgive you.

10. jinkelele

February 21, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Finally!!!!
    Did he show her any mercy? 76 stab wounds e gba mi
    Death sentence …good

11. Ife

February 21, 2014 at 4:34 pm

ouch….was looking forwrd to d final judgement when i read in punch twill b today…sad…irony is if he is truly repentant and asks for forgiveness from God thru Jesus, mr. Kolade dey go HEAVEN o..I pray God to help d little girl without even a sibling….hmmmm

12. Ada Nnewi

February 21, 2014 at 4:34 pm

This might sound heartless but my joy knows no bounds for his sentencing…They should please kill him slowly…May his case serve as a deterrent to all abusive Horse-bands and boyfriends…

13. www.LapesBeautifulCreature.blogspot.com

February 21, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Finally!

14. Rhaalu

February 21, 2014 at 4:41 pm

May she continue to rest in the Lord.

15. Chioma Nnani

February 21, 2014 at 4:42 pm

So Kolade Arowolo (aka “It wasn’t me. My wife stabbed herself 76 times”) has finally been found guilty.

Ladies, when a man is beating you, stay.
    When someone tells you to leave, call the person a ‘home wrecker’ or a ‘feminist’.
    Tell them that your ‘god’ likes you being beaten (aka ‘God hates divorce’).
    Even after you land in hospital, say “My ‘god’ is a very big god that is standing by my side. He will not allow me die.” Listen to your ‘church people’, as they tell you to be ‘more submissive’. Do fasting, prayers, and vigil. The Lord ‘sent you to save the man from himself’.
    Shout that you will not ‘allow another woman to come and take your husband’.
    Claim you are staying for your children. You have to maintain your halo of ‘virtuous woman’.
    Fast, and pray for the man to change. The devil is after your precious marriage; and you will receive brownie points in heaven, if you fight the devil.

When he stabs you 76 times, he will shamelessly & cruelly drag your family through the ordeal of a trial. He will tell people that you are insane, and stabbed yourself to death. He may be found guilty – then, the child(ren) you claim you were staying for, will effectively be orphaned.

And there are many fish-brained, deluded women who are reading this, and saying
    “I know my fiancé beats me, but he loves me. It is his way of showing he loves me. And I am the one that makes him, angry.”
    “The make-up sex after the beating, is worth the beating.”
    “My husband beats me, but I am praying for him.”
    “It is not my portion to die.”
    “God forbid. I have a very big God that is alive. Therefore no weapon formed against me, shall prosper.”

Madam, whose portion is it? Do you think God will stop being God, just because answering Mrs is more important than your life? Do you think God will die along with you?

And for females who actually like being beaten, you need psych & spiritual help.
    Guys, if you are with such a woman (because some men who are not violent, have actually told me that some of their girlfriends/fiancées/wives demand to be beaten as a proof of love); run! Or if you think you love her, arrange for psychotherapy for her. Because the day you beat her, and she dies … remember that death penalty is still very much in force in Nigeria.

• nwanyi na aga aga

February 21, 2014 at 4:53 pm

loooooooooooool! *tears*

• Bleed Blue

February 21, 2014 at 5:29 pm

I’ve fallen in love with this comment right here. It’s funny but the message is REAL!

PS: I have a friend who firmly believed being beaten is proof of true love. She told me this in 2003…and 11 years later my mouth is still open.

• memebaby

February 22, 2014 at 3:57 pm

your friend is sick.. she must be suffering from something that happened to her in the past. pray for her biko.

• omada

February 21, 2014 at 5:36 pm

biko tell them….

• Jane Public

February 21, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Please copy this comment and paste it on a blog I stumbled on looking for a particular recipe. The name of the blog is Wives Connection. The owner of the blog and even the people who comment tell women in DV situations to check themselves and their attitude and pray for him to change in the meantime. If anyone tries to say otherwise and uses Titit Arowolo’s story, they suddenly keep quiet and not comment anymore.

• Thislife

February 21, 2014 at 6:10 pm

I stopped visiting that blog because I just could not believe that women could be so fish brained. It is women that judge and look down on others when they decide that they will not take abuse and maltreatment from their husbands. You are not a full blooded Naija wife until your husband has infected you, treated you like dirt, has one or two outside children or beaten you blue-black. It is something that is imbibed in our silly heads. Until we stop carrying marriage on our heads, we will never be free from the stupidity that plagues us. I stay clear of advice from Naija women when it comes to marriage business. They are the ones that will land you in your grave with their over sabi nature. Meanwhile, the husbands they are killing themselves for could give two shakes about them.

• oaa

February 21, 2014 at 6:06 pm

Chioma Nnani ….. HUGS AND KISSES!!!

• Thislife

February 21, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Ohhhhh Chioma, you have not spoken like a true Naija woman. Don’t you know your husband is your Lord and his kicks, slaps and punches will earn you the title of best wife at his weekly drinking sessions. You do not know that despite the fact that he beats and reduces you to nothing, you are his number one and those girls he carries around and spoils are just lousy, useless, good for nothing women that are only wasting their time. Please o, the more punches the better. When you tie your gele and carry your clutch graciously while people are shouting Mrs XYZ (all the while that concealer is hiding the 10th black eye), it is the best feeling in the world. Please stop telling people that this was not God’s original plan for marriage. Please now, you do not know we are the most dedicated wives. Standing by through bruise, STD and death. After he beats her to a pulp, he will remarry. Heck if the justice system did not play its part, Kolade would be remarried by now. Look at Mr Melaye. The single mother in Nigeria is looked down upon but the abusive man with 0 husband traits will always get a willing partner, after all…if you submit enough, walk on egg shells and try not to provoke him, all will be well.

NAIJA WOMEN, THIS IS NOT GOD’S PLAN FOR MARRIAGE PLEASE!

RIP TITI!!

• Ada Nnnewi

February 21, 2014 at 10:25 pm

ROTFLMAOOOOOOO!!!!!

• Esther Osaade

February 22, 2014 at 5:34 pm

HI Chioma. Thank you so much for voicing out the agony of an average African woman. I just want to get you informed that I shared this write-up of yours on my group page on Facebook if it happens you come across it. Thank you!

16. Grace

February 21, 2014 at 4:48 pm

smh

17. oj

February 21, 2014 at 4:50 pm

may God protect us from evil husbands.

18. Anonymous

February 21, 2014 at 4:56 pm

76 stabs???? This guy I repeat is not normal.

• Blessmyheart

February 21, 2014 at 7:37 pm

The guy is definitely not normal. I mean, 76 times? And the cuts were even deep enough to puncture her heart and lungs. They probably should have pled insanity instead of saying she stabbed herself. That was even a dishonor to her memory.
      For those saying the courts should have had mercy because of the daughter, I don’t think it makes a difference either way. She lost both parents that day. This is so sad and terrible. Things like this should not happen.
      As I always wonder, is it that there are usually no symptoms of violence before marriage or ladies just close their eyes to it?
      Please, the Bible says God hates divorce but you can separate abeg.

• slice

February 22, 2014 at 2:24 am

i’m not sure why his lawyers didn’t try temporary insanity. stabbing herself 76 times is just not believable at all

19. oloori

February 21, 2014 at 4:58 pm

what is good for d goose…….

20. Marvel

February 21, 2014 at 5:07 pm

That’s temporary insanity cos to stab someone you are married to that many times…. May God never allow me to be so provoked. Some ppl can push you but anger management to me is a better quality than wealth.

21. kim

February 21, 2014 at 5:13 pm

chioma, uve said it all. thank u.

22. British Lagosian

February 21, 2014 at 5:14 pm

All in all, there is no victory. Yes, she got justice but no one wins. Their child is now an orphan. Families ripped apart… What a sad story. I really hope that this unfortunate sequence of events will help others in violent relationships. In the end, there are no winners- only losers.

23. Bola Awe

February 21, 2014 at 5:23 pm

Chioma Nnani. I am not one to comment on this type of issue. But sister ,you nailed it right on the head. You have said what so many women have being trying to tell their fellow women. God bless you and i hope people learn from this sad occurence.

24. Chinwe

February 21, 2014 at 5:44 pm

Chioma , God bless you. one nincompoop idiot wanted to try that rubbish with me a whole Daddy’s daughter….heyyyyyy, I ran for my dear life, not without showing him small madness. Ekwensu!

Meanwhile, several “women” were preaching to me to stay regardless of his beatings and emotional abuse, God forbid! women please let us stop being our own worst enemies in the name of religion. Kindly call a spade a spade biko….an abusive man is an abusive man, he was abusive b4 u came along and would still be abusive whether u leave or stay….
    I am married again and my hubby makes me a very happy woman…2 years, 1 baby and counting

25. Jane Public

February 21, 2014 at 5:47 pm

Read the comme
    nts on this link. According to her, “Well for those of us suggesting NGO’s and Lawyers, it is good to get help but wives connection does not approve of help that tries to end the marriage. Help for victims should come not with pressure to end a marriage.
    If there is a way of ending domestic violence while maintaining the marriage that is what we truly want. Divorce is not the only solution to DV, Violence can be stopped while marriage remains intact.” Yes people I copied that from the site. I know I just gave her free traffic but you guys need to see the kind of problem we are dealing with. Here’s the link too: wivestownhallconnection.com/2013/11/my-husband-has-scattered-my-body-with.html

• izzy

February 21, 2014 at 6:12 pm

WONDERS!

• mrs chidukane

February 21, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I also visit that blog and the good thing is that the readers usually call her out.However,its a comment I read on LIB that is driving me insane. Someone called Badoo of toronto actually said the late woman’s family was stupid for pressing charges on her husband for murdering her. That what will they tell the daughter? I actually wished I could see him so I could slap the shit out of him.Is this not the entitlement mentality Nigerian men have? So he should get away with killing his wife?Its a pity

• Chinwe

February 21, 2014 at 6:25 pm

There is really no other way sadly. The marriage would have to end for a woman to escape DV.

• Thislife

February 21, 2014 at 6:25 pm

I repeat, only take advice from Naija women that have sense (tried and tested). Not to bash townhall abi wetin them dey call am but how do you stop DV while keeping the marriage intact (which I am sure she means, the woman should stay under the same roof). Let one of my sisters come and tell me their husbands are using them to play Mike Tyson v Holyfield, I will drag her kicking and screaming to my house. We can settle issues from a distance. Violence can only be stopped when the abuser decides to change. Townhall ladies have this thing that you can change a person. You can’t o, biko nu. I don tire ma sef.

• Thatgidigirl

February 21, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Hian! @ Jane Public, I almost puked in my mouth reading the story and the comments on that blog. Meanwhile, in all of this i feel sorry for the daughter. I wonder what story the family would come up with in future when she inquires about her parents, or would they simply say ” your father was killed for killing your mother”? really sad

• Dr. N

February 21, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I won’t even read it , Nnem. Their own madness may release my own. I hope they have special insurance for those who die because they took their advice. Schizophrenia!

• Nnenna Morah

February 22, 2014 at 1:47 pm

My dear, you can only mend a broken pot, the cracks still remains. Marriage counseling may be ideal for some, depending upon the willingness of both parties to make a lasting change. If there’s no respect to salvage(love at this point is secondary), it’s best to wish each other well and move on, to prevent a situation like this. Everyone wants to live happily ever after, but know when to call a spade what it is. Staying in an abusive relationship is not only unfair and unfortunate for anyone but to the children (if any), to the loved ones who feel hopeless and helpless waiting for the worst to happen. We for anyone who faces this daily, that God will give them the wisdom to be pro-life.

26. bellastrada

February 21, 2014 at 5:55 pm

am the happiest person on earth to cee this justice.God be praised……….kolade,if u no repent,straight to hell

27. Akinola feyi

February 21, 2014 at 5:59 pm

Even if not sentenced to death, I’m sure the guilt will hunt him for life. Will lead to his death eventually. Eni ba se ika, ko ma se lo. Ati ire atika ikan kii gbe.

28. @edDREAMZ

February 21, 2014 at 6:32 pm

Rip in advance man…. U deserve it….
    ***CURRENTLY IN THE SUN***

• Jhaye

May 5, 2014 at 11:36 am

Which kain RIP is that. May he not rest and surely may it not be in peace. If I had only one wish it would be to allow a female agent of the Israeli Mossad to reset his brain for 76 days (one day for each of the stab wounds) before they execute him. And execution should involve him being tied by a noose and gradually dipped feet first into a large drum of slow acting flesh eating bacteria or acid. Oniraanu osi!!

And for those asking why they didn’t give him life imprisonment for the daughter’s sake? Are you all ok at all? Is this the kind of creature you want to have contact with an innocent child even if it’s through cell bars. God forbid, let him not corrupt her. Besides I believe the man’s family will be too ashamed to speak about what happened and Titi’s family will do all they can to shield their niece, granddaughter etc. The only people that can cause wahala will be nosy neighbours and children repeating what they heard their parents say to her.

I pray the family that raises her is a loving family that shows her that despite the tragedy of her parents lives she is not destined to repeat their mistakes, she is loved and valued. Please God keep her away from any family member that will say things like “Bi baba e se pa iya naa niyen, a maa naa emi buruku yen kuro lara e”………….”That’s how your father killed your mother, we will beat the evil spirit out of you” And yes I am a christian!! And I know about forgiveness and mercy!! But omo in this case I require 730 days of fasting on top this matter!! God forgive me but when I see anyone with the surname Arowolo na soso bad eye I wan give them! Father help your daughter!!!

29. Adefesobi

February 21, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I’d thought we had abolished the death sentence *sigh*
    No one has the right to take another’s life, except the One who created it.
    I hope the court is able to reduce his sentence.

• memebaby

February 22, 2014 at 4:10 pm

God forbid but if your sis or daughter’s hubby kills her, hope you pray to God that the man gets released from prison or gets a reduced sentence okay boo.

30. Miss_Flygerian

February 21, 2014 at 6:39 pm

The defense team should be stripped of their law degrees. The injuries were self inflicted ke? Pray tell, how does a person stab himself/herself SEVENTY SIX TIMES? Simply put, the man was callous. Stabbing someone 76 times? That’s extremely gangster. He deserves to die.

31. nene

February 21, 2014 at 6:46 pm

see weight loss of life. i don’r know why someone will kill his wife. crime of passion? people need to learn to walk away from anger and situations that exacerbate their anger

32. Olori Tari

February 21, 2014 at 7:33 pm

I can only think of their child !!! The fact that they are all at lost, especially their innocent child..hurts me deep. Bless that kid Lord.

33. corolla

February 21, 2014 at 8:16 pm

My brother went to secondary school with this guy.He said the guy always had issues.Once, he tried to end his life by drinking bleach.

34. Me Full Ground

February 21, 2014 at 9:41 pm

@Chioma Nnani, well said. Nothing more to be added.

35. Tochini

February 21, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Jane the link is not opening pls help me check if the blog has been taken down bcos I need to direct some people there to educate both the blog owner and blog visitors on DV.

• Sade

February 22, 2014 at 2:52 pm

Here is the link again: wivestownhallconnection.com/2013/11/my-husband-has-scattered-my-body-with.html
      I read it too and my body was shaking with rage.

36. Agbeke

February 21, 2014 at 11:43 pm

Justice is served for the deceased at last. And for those sad about the 2yr old. She is better off growing up without a man like her dad. May God keep and nurture her. Domestic Violence is a no no .sisters and brothers run at every appearance of such. My mum’s friend died of internal bleeding after receiving kicks and beating from her abusive husband and he had apparently decked her for years. Sadly she left 5 children. May God teach us to apply wisdom in all situations. amen. Happy for you Chinwe for the happiness you found.

37. Opeyemi

February 22, 2014 at 12:29 am

Sigh! I sincerely hope this provides some closure for the lady’s family.

38. olusolape

February 22, 2014 at 10:09 am

I wish a lot of ladies will learn from this. As long as there is life there is hope. Now she is dead only God can recompense her.
    don’t be afraid to hide pimples with concealers or foundation as long as they water based. find out more on pimples>> http://bit.ly/1p5wN33

39. Tilux

February 22, 2014 at 11:32 am

@Strawberrycandy ‘Happy Birthday’, I felt the kindness in your words. God have mercy.

40. naija gal

February 22, 2014 at 12:51 pm

Watch Investigation discovery channel n u will knw these things do happen in d world. If ur husband beats u run 4ur life. My neighbour is always beating his wife n she usually covers up for him, there was a day she called out for help and I went to d house only to see blood everywhere n I almost fainted,he hit her very close to d eye n soon after their love resumed again. At times she wld faint I wld be hearing groaning from my apartment ,but I can’t interfere cos I discovered that she doesn’t even want help. Am scared for her life cos d guy’s temper is terrible. God help herm

41. ady

February 22, 2014 at 1:06 pm

Chioma nnani u just made my day hahahahaahahahahaha funny but so sad and women keep dying everyday…God rest her soul.

42. flyhijabi

February 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I keep saying that the day a man dares to hit me, I do not know what I will do to him. Not murder,no. I love my Lord too much to go against Him by taking another’s life. If my hubby raises his voice at me during an argument, I tell him to bring his voice down because I am neither a child nor a slave and he’s learned to hush it. First day he met my family, my dad told him; You’re taking my baby away. Never lift a finger to hit her else you’ll have to answer to me.’ Even my mum told his family that whatever flaws I have, dem never taya of me for our house, so no ill treatment will be accepted. My friend was married in 2010 and got divorced in less than three years. She had being hiding DV from all right from after her wedding. She used to lie if her family noticed bruises or bandages saying she fell in the bathroom or hit her face on the wall.he even chased her out around 12 am once and she lied that she ran out herself. He beat her all through her pregnancy and she had the baby through cs. Now,she’s left him and he’s not even caring for his child.he’s married to another who is receiving the same treatment. Women,never hide DV from your family or others that can help you. Life can only get better when we’re alive not buried 6feet due to our foolishness of loving men who are potential murderers. Don’t say God hates divorce,He hates foolishness too.

43. Bennie Egbedinni

February 22, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Hmmmmm! To love to stay, to beat to do Usain Bolt sharp sharp!!!!!!! Just sorry for the little girl!As for that yeye blog am hearing about? Its not worth wasting my costly data on!!

44. Anonymous

February 23, 2014 at 4:49 am

I don’t agree with the guy’s claim that the wounds were self-inflicted but Why wasn’t a representative sent from the court to affirm the claim that Titi was stabbed 76 times after the autopsy was conducted and also bring a forensic data document[photos inclusive] to the court and not just dwell on what the forensic pathologist said. A news article also cited that the man had about 21 cuts on himself. Many things should’ve been done which were not done.*sighs* I pray they both REST IN PEACE.

45. Mazino

February 23, 2014 at 5:10 am

Despite his sinful act, I still feel for him because is not easy for one to be faced with a death penalty. But this justice will teach others lessons.

46. fashionandstylepolice

March 3, 2014 at 10:47 pm

About freaking time. Serves him right. RIP Titi.