News

HORRIFIC: 2 Alleged Gay Nigerian Men Beaten to DEATH as Policemen & Passersby Watch

nigerian gay men beaten to death

Commenter Mariam E. shared this video with us of 2 alleged gay Nigerian men beaten to death with chunks of wood as policemen and passersby watched.

The video, which has been in circulation since December 2013, shows two males stripped of their trousers, laying on the mud amidst tires, and struck repeatedly with wooden planks on their head and torso. When the men were done with the last of their blows, both males on the ground had stopped writhing in protest, and were no longer rubbing hands together – pleading with them to stop. The alleged homosexual men laid still on the ground bleeding, while people in the video are heard saying “O ti ku” – in Yoruba, meaning “he is dead”.

After the spectacle was over, people – policemen and pedestrians alike – are shown walking away from the scene. The video also shows an ambulance present.

On January 7 2014, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan signed the ‘Same Sex Marriage Prohibition Act‘ – a law banning same sex marriage in Nigeria, making gay marriages registered outside of Nigeria void, allowing imprisonment of club members, individuals or organisations that “support the registration, operation of gay clubs, societies and organizations, processions or meetings in Nigeria”, at a sentence of up to 14 years in jail. The bill was signed unanimously by all Nigerian senators and lawmakers on December 17th 2013 – a few days after the video began circulating.

Update: There are claims that this could also be two robbers. However, as in the case of ALUU 4, ‘jungle justice’ i.e. people taking the law into their own hands without trial or proper investigation – could lead to the death of innocent people at worst, or excessive punishment  – in this case, death, for what could be considered lesser crimes.

Click here to view the video

1. Moi

February 7, 2014 at 11:05 am

This is an old video of two thieves mobbed and beaten to death sometime last year in Lagos. please do your research and don’t be fast to post videos while propagating the Gay gospel.

• artillery

February 7, 2014 at 11:18 am

you are correct it is an old video of some youths murdered in Badagry area.

• Bleed Blue

February 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

“two thieves” you say…

Criminal law…innocent until proven guilty…proven in a court of law…using a recognised judicial system…not on the streets…using jungle justice…IT IS NEVER OKAY TO DO THIS.

• Changing Faces

February 7, 2014 at 11:34 am

Asking for fellow human beings not to be treated like animals is propagating the gay gospel… that’s Nigeria for you, every one is born again yet the country is rotten!

• a good Nigerian

August 5, 2014 at 3:09 am

Can this article then be deemed as promoting gay activities?

2. Troll

February 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

I don’t even know what to say again ‘cos it seems that no matter how much we talk people’s mentality esp. Nigerians won’t change. And why would it? When all I do is to comment on blogs but take no actions in reality…*sighs*.

3. Anna

February 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

Oh my gosh….this is just plain cruel….I can’t deal

4. John

February 7, 2014 at 11:08 am

Now the girls who hate gay people would have enough men in circulation and the guys would be happy no one is challenging masculinity by being effeminate. Nigeria would be a great nation again and we shall all make heaven cos we shall kill all the gay people in Nigeria. When hate fills the heart of man, he becomes animalistic in nature.

5. Anna

February 7, 2014 at 11:09 am

Oh my gosh…this is just soo cruel..Lord have mercy on us..I can’t deal

6. Ambre

February 7, 2014 at 11:13 am

This is pure evil in our country, so u mean its is lawful to just kill humans and people will stand to watch. Who gave this men the right to beat anybody to death? What a doomed country we are living in. They are gays, so y not arrest them instead since there is a law of 14yrs in jail to any offenders. People will start kiling anybody they suspect to be gays around instead of allwoing d law take its course. This is evil and needs to stop$ wat d hell is jungle justice? We need help in this country, men are evil.

7. toluwa

February 7, 2014 at 11:15 am

So because a person is gay, he deserves to be treated inhumanely? I don’t support homosexuality, but this is not right! If one is going to hate, hate the act, not the people! Sad! Because a bill has been signed, illiterates will feel its okay to kill homosexuals! so unfortunate!

8. Troll

February 7, 2014 at 11:20 am

And this is one of the reasons I’m against that stupid bill, because of frustrated Nigerians that like taking out their anger in form of murder all in the name of justice. Lynching is WRONG!!!! It’s against God and man so I don’t even know their excuse. And to think that the police is always there and watching, what kind of country do we live in??? I just tire. GEJ should please revisit that ban before more innocent lives are lost.

• Diya

February 7, 2014 at 7:18 pm

No, GEJ should revisit his mother’s womb & remain there.

We are animals but Nigerians are untrained animals. These poor mothereffers should be thinking of ways to find their next meal instead of killing “alleged criminals”

9. Thatgidigirl

February 7, 2014 at 11:21 am

Gay or robbers, this is unacceptable!

10. hmm

February 7, 2014 at 11:21 am

Well whether it was gay or robbers no one has any right to take the law into your hands that’s what the govt is for.
    This goes all back to Nigerian police when someone is doing something bad and they get sent to jail then you let them go free with bribery. Then people will start to act like they are the police. But then again it’s still no reason to do that. How many of those by standers are clean.

11. ContessaVlad

February 7, 2014 at 11:23 am

JESUS!!! Is this how we are as a people? Are we so desensitised? Where is our humanity? The man in white pounded a living human beings head till he died and he just walked away like it was all in a day’s job. I hope people that have been shouting that all gays are evil and should be killed watch this video and see what it’ll take for their wishes to come true!

12. Deeteekay

February 7, 2014 at 11:30 am

I Love all Gods creation but hate the demons that has taken over some. If this is how the demons can leave their bodies, so be it. When you vindicate God, He crowns you with righteousness…just like Phinehas, grandson of Aaron, did according to Numbers 25:7-13, “When Phinehas son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron, the priest, saw this, he left the assembly, took a spear in his handand followed the Israelite into the tent. He drove the spear into both of them, right through the Israelite man and into the woman’s stomach. Then the plague against the Israelites was stopped; but those who died in the plague numbered 24,000. The Lord said to Moses, “Phinehas son of Eleazar and grandson of Aaron the priest has turned my anger away from the Israelites by being as zealous among them as I was. So I stopped destroying all Israel as I had intended to do in my zealous anger. Now tell him that I am making my special covenant of peace with him. In this covenant, I give him and his descendants a permanent right to the priesthood, for in his zeal for me, his God, he purified the people of Israel, making them right with me.” Because of what Phinehas did, God rewarded him according to Psalms 106:30-31, “Then stood up Phinehas, and executed judgment: and so the plague was stayed. And that was counted unto him for righteousness unto all generations for evermore.”
    I just pray who these men are, will allow God to love them in ways no man could. His love is satisfying and perfect for all our frailties or inadequacies.

PS: Not condemning anyone just reading out what my bible tells me in similar cases. Thank you

• Bleed Blue

February 7, 2014 at 11:44 am

Exodus 20:13.

End of.

• solar

February 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

When I see comments like this, I really can’t help being amused.. you are soo clueless, pray this doesn’t happen to your family. .maybe you will understand then

• Joey Akan

February 7, 2014 at 12:52 pm

Retard! That’s what you are. Hiding under the cloak of religion and blind fanaticism to support the lynching of people. You even had the stupidity to copy and paste a bible verse. When this happens to your loved ones, and your children or the children after them get killed by ‘zeal’, I hope you’ll bring back this reading, and cry on it. Get a life, get a heart, may love find your tarnished soul

• Aibee

February 7, 2014 at 1:33 pm

You need help. Urgent spiritual and psychiatric help. If in your mind you believe that its okay to kill people because you are fighting for God, you need help. How is this different from radical islamists who want to kill all the infidels in a bid to turn everyone to righteousness? Is your god so powerless that he needs you to fight for him?

• AA

February 7, 2014 at 2:17 pm

You are a demon for supporting this horrific bloodletting. Remember, even satan sabi bible. You quotations means nothing to me. Your heart is black and that tells me enough about you

• Yemisi

February 7, 2014 at 3:26 pm

You should check yourself based on the last 2 sentences of your comment. If you are talking about God’s love and the satisfaction it brings, then you certainly font talk as I’d you have experienced it. If you are really a Christian then you should know about John 3:16.
      God loves everybody regardless of who you are or what your sins are. God doesn’t condone sin but his love transcends sin.
      I am dismayed that some Christians still like DeeTeeKay. Who made you the judge over sinners? Are you even more righteous than the robbers/gay or whatever they are? The bible says let him who thinks he stands take heed lest he falls.

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 7, 2014 at 5:18 pm

Your solution to getting the demon out of their body is to smash they head open with a giant stick? May they read you this bible verse when your child is being murdered.

• Olori Tari

February 8, 2014 at 1:01 am

LMAO. Ahhhhh at the last sentence.

• Leah

February 7, 2014 at 7:29 pm

This comment right here is so sad in soo many ways I don’t even know where to start. This right here represents what is twisted and immoral about religion. Brain dead idiots carrying around the Bible as if they’re intellectually capable of understanding a word in it. Why don’t you take that your Bible to Boko Haram, Hama or Hezbollah headquarter, let’s see how that works out for you. I am pretty sure they have verses in their big book to deal you the same hand that you approve of.

February 7, 2014 at 9:05 pm

@ Deeteekay, I can’t!I just can’t. I am shocked to by bone marrow! Sigh!!

• mama

April 14, 2014 at 2:19 pm

you are just a stinking hypocrite…….what the heck is this scripture for at this time? yes no body is saying you should not preach but the issue here is a wrong has been commited by the name jungle justice…that is what you should be condemning cos one day it could be you or anyone in your family……i do not care if they stole or are gay people, it is wrong…..we cannot expect society to change for good when we do not condemn and speak against what is wrong……you come and quote the bible yet you are silent on the crux of the matter……..this is not quoting scripture time, there is a time to preach and quote scripture, this is time to condemn what is wrong

13. queen olofofo

February 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

I have actually seen this video earlier,but makes no diffrence if they are gay or not.We are humans and supposedly from a civilised society,you dont treat humans like this..it barbaric and evil! You kick a dog in the western world and you go to jail for it..talk less of humans..shame..This is why the western world portrays us as backwards

14. yomi

February 7, 2014 at 11:32 am

this are no gay , they are students linched to death in badagry for stealing and the case as been taken to court ,… old gist

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 7, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Old gist? You are so quick to dismiss the video because it is old gist? How are you so desensitised? STUDENTS were beaten to death and you call it old gist?

• Bleed Blue

February 7, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Marc Francis I feel your pain…”old gist”…so dismissive and nonchallant, as if it’s random insects that got killed, and not humans.

Men…I’m just so sad…and I didn’t even watch the video…the synopsis was enough to give me grief for miles 🙁

15. X- Factor

February 7, 2014 at 11:34 am

Hell NO.. BN… this video has nothing to do with the gay bill, these innocent guys(Ifechukwudi Nwanikpor, 25, and Kazeem Onayemi, 26) were wrongly mobbed by an evil crowd sometimes last year, one of them was the son of a retired immigration officer
    C’mmon BN….on this sensational report…hmm…..Naaaaaa …..( this is sooo aunty gbeborun kinda journalism)
    Please find related posts

16. makeupbyebi

February 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

hey Bellanaija, please take down this video, please please!!! whoever they are or whatever they did is not enough for this kinda treatment.

17. whocares

February 7, 2014 at 1:09 pm

I have read too many stupid comments here, that to reply individually will drain me of my Friday joy and strength. What do you say to someone quoting the Bible in support of this atrocious action, or another person talking about spreading the “gay propaganda”? Nothing really. You are too steeped in your myopic world for anything else to penetrate so I wont even try. This is sad. Gay men or thieves this is just sad, and that is all there is to it. You should not condone this act. Do not hide behind the Bible to condone it because that is not what it says. You have perverted that book, and you selectively choose what appeals to you to support your opinion. Do not hide behind your homophobia either. This is wrong and that is all there is to it.. I am tired of being an internet warrior on this issue. My brain and I are going to have a serious talk on how to translate our thoughts into positive physical action.

• Jane Public

February 7, 2014 at 2:20 pm

I am not weighing in on the gay debate but you have to wonder why BN says they are gay when people have come here to comment saying they were thieves. I haven’t watched the video, neither did I watch the Aluu 4 video too but BN should stop dragging themselves in the gutter now. Haba. Say the video is of thieves, let us dialogue on that issue that the Aluu 4 saga has repeated itself with no justice done. Don’t bring in the gay tag to encourage traffic for people to come and talk back and forth. That is just the lowest of the low and they are taking advantage of Gay people to bring traffic to their site. Now, be sick about that one too because this is just preposterous. They are using their readers

• whocares

February 7, 2014 at 2:41 pm

The caption said “alleged gay men” and there was also the note update that some claim they are thieves.. I was mainly commenting about the act.. Thieves or gay, it is wrong. You may be on to something about the sentimental headline though and this is not the first time, but we will forgive BN. It is not the Punch news, or the Guardian, neither does it purport to be so I do not expect 100% accuracy. In as much as they went to the effort to point out the other part of the story, and we can comment to call them out on it, that is enough for me…

• Non professional opinion

February 7, 2014 at 7:08 pm

At first I thought it was the pro gay lobby, but now I’m thinking it’s the anti gay lobby that is releasing these stories of gay bashing that are then quickly refuted as fraudulent in an attempt to dismiss it as propaganda. The sad truth is that this does happen to gay people the world over even if that is not the case in this instance. I will never understand people who stand around to witness things like this.

18. MamaC

February 7, 2014 at 2:06 pm

This thing is getting out of hand. Honestly if I was a passerby, I would run quickly from the scene lest you say stop and the people decide to start beating you too.
    But surely there must be a way to help. Can a direct line to Police/Mopo/security firms be set up – people that can intervene if such an incident occurs again. As in I know i’d run but it would good if there was a rapid response line that one could call immediately to raise the alert. I know its Nigeria but all the rich connected Bellanigerians can surely come up with a solution, no????

19. Logan

February 7, 2014 at 2:07 pm

That stupid fool and hypocrite quoting the bible is a disgrace to christianity as a whole. He/she is the christian version of Boko Haram, that takes up law into their own quoting the Holy books. Why would you be quoting the Bible to back up that evil acts. Am sure you are one of those people that lynch those two people whether gay or thief. We all know the old testament is outdated, because we all know all the jungle justice carried out by the muslims and christian extremist are based on the misinterpretation of the laws of the old testaments and the Koran as a whole. For example the old testament teaches said “AN EYE FOR AN EYE” While the old testament teaches us to forgive. Barbaric act like lynching and jungle justice carried in the present world is the same thing practiced in the old testament, which the new testament condemns. Case of the adultery woman that was almost stoned to death if not for Jesus. Is a big example that. It is totally wrong. Men! am just tired of this God Forsaken country, because you don’t know when death is around the corner for you. Just imagine walking on the street and someone wrongly accuse you of theft or gay. You are dead before you know it.

20. adelegirl

February 7, 2014 at 2:26 pm

Posting stories such as this one, is helping to push the anti-gay hysteria and homophobia. Whoever put this out as an anti-gay lynching is very mischievous as this was a horrific incident of jungle justice that apparently happened in Badagry when two students were lynched by a blood thirsty mob for stealing. Either way, say no to such barbaric acts of jungle justice especially when the real thieves are sitting pretty in government positions in Abuja.

21. nene

February 7, 2014 at 2:28 pm

i almost commented. if not for the first commenter who gave the actual source of the video. however, things like this will still happen in nigeria. i think nigerians hate homosexuals even more than armed robbers and ritualists. the truth is lynchings and jungle justice only happen in countries where there is an inefficient police force or security, and it has been in existence in other countries before it started in nigeria. even a few years ago before america became more civilized, they lynched people just because of their skin tone, and that’s not to say things like these don’t happen in states like mississipi and co.

22. Love me Love me

February 7, 2014 at 4:32 pm

This is unfortunate and a different story was linked to it a while ago (3 – 6 ) months. Jungle justice is not justified at anytime.
    Meanwhile Bella, your research team is pathetic. You should have caught this because I think you had also published the original story. Gay lobby just punked you and you fell for it

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 7, 2014 at 5:17 pm

Please shut up. I saw this video on another blog before BN posted it where they said the video was gays being killed. Are you saying this can’t happen to gays? If the state of our country 3-6months ago is that we kill “thieves” by smashing in their heads with wood then what is this crap you’re spewing? By criminalising homosexuality (NOT GAY MARRIAGE) then they are saying that gays should be afforded this same treatment.

Do you know it is illegal to kill thieves? If everyday people killed thieves then what is the point of having a police force? The policeman is in the video WATCHING a crime being committed!

• Omo1

February 7, 2014 at 5:41 pm

Why the shut up?? I don’t see what the commentator has said to warrant that! Little wonder how a lot of us will act in such situation.
      Back to BN, I’m sure you must have gotten wind of this story back then..what ever your intentions are, deliberate or not PLEASE do not stir up wrong reactions. That’s all I’ll say!

• Marc Francis of Chelsea

February 8, 2014 at 2:25 am

From everything I wrote, all you go is shut up? Bye.

23. OmoMakun

February 7, 2014 at 6:47 pm

I really don’t understand how the govt didn’t see this coming? Like for real though? They seriously need to reverse the law targeting gays because, anybody and everybody can easily be accused and killed right there on the streets and ppl will only claim that they are following the law or some bs like that. #Mschew

24. molarah

February 7, 2014 at 10:02 pm

Please people let’s stop being ridiculous. Like someone would lynch a gay person because they, what, . Not trying to defend the act of lynching, but mob acts are usually conducted against people that are believed to be menaces to society. All the average Nigerian on the street knows about homosexuality is that its abnormal, unAfrican and not religiously moral. There are SEVERAL abnormal, unAfrican and not religiously moral acts going on out there in the full glare of public (smoking, prostitution (depending on whom you’re speaking with), etc.) and people are not getting lynched for them. Its NEVER been heard that someone will get lynched for homosexuality in Nigeria, especially in the South, and its NEVER going to happen, in spite of all your pity-party and victim-play efforts. We don’t like homosexuality, but we are not going to perform jungle justice and kill gay people. Go find your gay-haters elsewhere.

• mama

April 14, 2014 at 2:31 pm

your stupidity is laughable molarah…….what were the aluu four killed over? a laptop and phones abi? did u not read recently of some gay people who were caught in delta and stripped naked? so u think its not possible for us to get to that stage? and who told you homosexuality originated from the white man? ignorant people like you make me laugh…..homosexuality has always been found in Africa so get over yourself……all kinds of human behavior perverted or otherwise has been known to exist amongst mankind; white, black, red whatever……you do not speak for humanity by saying never so get your arrogant self to the backyard

25. molarah

February 7, 2014 at 10:05 pm

And please no one should come back at me because I did not express deep e-shock and cyber horror at the news item. That’s what we’ve become fond of doing, and what good is coming out of it? That’s what we did when ALUU4 broke, and there is no sign our strategy is going to change anytime soon. Stop the fake outbursts of horror and shock, and actually DO something!

• Fig leaf

February 8, 2014 at 9:24 am

Dear clueless self righteous molarah, we DID something. We took a petition to the Senate in an attempt for them to criminalise mob lynching, participating and watching. The struggle continues , with Ikechukwu Ofili at the forefront, getting excerpts from families and continuing to create awareness of the vox populi on the issue.

Why you’re so sure gay people will never be killed is beyond me. Please do expand on this your certainty, it will help all of us become as cocksure and confident as you are…and then sleep better at night.

26. aseye1

March 25, 2014 at 8:39 pm

why take the law into your own hands………….

27. satyr

August 6, 2014 at 11:37 pm

This is the future of the world. People do this because they have nothing better to do.

28. zzz dharmie

September 8, 2014 at 3:59 pm

too bad

29. Oluwatoyin

February 5, 2015 at 12:20 pm

Nigera is’t the next thing to focuse in our country, to me I hope there is a lot of thing to look after not to be deal with our selfs, killing.