The usual advice would be not to pop a pimple, but who are we kidding, it’s almost impossible to ignore it. When you run your hand across your face and you feel that bump, it’s like a small voice in your head just goes off – “pop it! Press it.” I’ve heard that voice one too many times.
1 in 5 women would naturally feel the need to pick at a pimple according to Dr. Oz on Oprah. So if that’s you, breathe, you are not alone.
A lot of the time, the reason why it is best to leave the pimple alone is because most times we press the pimple when it’s not ready to be popped. How do you know when it’s not ready?
– If the pimple isn’t ripe i.e: the pus isn’t at the tip – don’t pop it
– If you have already popped it and it starts to get sore or bleed – don’t pop it again
The pimple is the body trying to get rid of the things in your skin that have been caused by irritations or it reacting to something your skin is allergic to or unfamiliar with.
So, one of the things you should never do is squeeze a pimple. Why? Dr. Oz says when you press around your skin you destroy the tissue around the pimple, and you haven’t even started yet. The result? The skin dies, turns black and leaves scars. Spot alert!
So, how do you pop a pimple? It’s a little scary, but one of the most effective ways is with a needle. Here are the steps.
- First ensure that your face is clean, so you don’t get any bacteria in the opened skin. You can do this with a cleanser.
- Exfoliate the skin. This can help get all the pus to the tip of the skin, so you get it all out in one sitting.
- Sterilize the needle. This can be done with alcohol, boiling water, spirits or a heating method.
- Be sure to use the needle in a parallel motion and not vertically, so it only penetrates the part with pus.
- Lift the needle off the skin, opening the tip, and then clean off with a dry tissue, then a cleanser.
Watch Dr. Oz on WBPF 25 News as he shares this and some more tips that you will find useful.
Watch the popular health show – The Doctors‘s Dr. Andrew Ordon demonstrate how to pop pimples.
If you have a phobia for sharp things, don’t worry, this isn’t the only option. Help a sistah out and share your pimple popping techniques with us!