Features

Ariyike Writes: BET Why?

Let me start by asking if you watched the BET awards? Huge congratulations to Davido for doing Nigeria proud by winning the BET award for Best International African act (BIAA). However, it was so obvious the award was presented to him before the main award ceremony started. It was thoughtful of him to have called up his fellow nominees to come on stage with him. It further got me wondering when the cameras didn’t show where they were seated, neither did the cameras show the crowd’s response when they all got on stage.

Last year, we watched excitedly as Ice prince was presented his BET award in front of the guests. He also called all the other African artistes to come and join him on stage. We watched him walk majestically to the stage and knew that his award was presented to him in front of his fellow African/International colleagues. Then, we found out that Ice Prince’s part was only aired on BET for Africa and UK. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I still don’t understand why the international acts (Africa and UK) at the BET awards are not allowed to receive their awards in front of the live American viewers. I am not saying that we need their validation, but I see it as unfair treatment to make an artiste travel all the way to America from Africa only to be celebrated in private. It actually seems like a huge sign of disrespect. Were the international acts mandated to get to the venue before start off time so they could quickly collect their awards before the American celebrities arrived? Were the international acts allowed to sit with their American counterparts? Were our African artists paid and well taken care of (the ones that performed at the BET experience)? I have so many questions for BET.

Take a look at some of the comments after BellaNaija announced that Davido had won the award for BET International act Africa:

Baboushka:
“I think it is very unfair in this day and age that they still don’t let the “Africans” accept their awards on stage at the main event like the American acts and instead present it at the sideshow. They did the same thing last year”.

Busarni:
“Na wah ooh. BET should respect African arts n present award on stage. Ice Prince was presented the award on empty stage and it was not even aired in America. Reason; BET is to honor American artists, don’t be deceived. I think we (Nigerians) should start taking ourselves serious and stop being fake…Congrats though, but our artists deserve to be presented awards on live stage with audience and not the sham they make millions of Africans believe. My cousin works with BET so I know the inside happenings”.

This one is a response I got from a friend:
“This is a sign to show that black on black racism exists. Well, let’s thank God Davido and Ice Prince got theirs on stage as against back then when D’banj and Tuface received theirs off/backstage. They obviously think we are irrelevant”.

I applaud the fact that Ms. Debra Lee and the BET family have given International artists the opportunity to bag nominations at the BET awards but I would rather go with the popular saying of “What is worth doing is worth doing well” which means BET should treat them the same way they treat their fellow American nominees. Today, I speak for Africans in Africa, over here when we we are giving out awards, we treat everyone equally and if we are even to give prefential treatment to anyone, it will be to the people that left their continent to come all the way to Africa to receive their awards. No?

I’ve heard so many stories but I still can’t place my hands on any concrete reason for this impertinence. I really want to know why…BET why? If Washington post could include the BET international acts on the list of nominees and winners on their website then why would BET not include them in their live broadcast of the event?

While watching the BET awards, I was extremely happy when they celebrated the civil rights act and spoke about segregation because like it or not, segregation is still rampant. Someone once mentioned that the international acts are not included in the live broadcast because they don’t pay tax in America. If foreign acts like Chris Brown or Beyonce (who don’t pay taxes in Africa) were to receive awards in Africa, we would proudly celebrate them, get all the press people to record them, make all the noise about them, probably even pay them for coming. We would definitely provide security and accommodation for them, and of course we will certainly grant all their rider requests. Why don’t they do the same for us or do they think they are doing our African artists a favour because of international publicity?

African music is definitely the future of entertainment and I am so proud of our African artists. If all of this had happened at the Grammys (where Femi Anikulapo Kuti has been nominated 4 times), it would be so easy to play the “racism” card. Now this is happening at the “Black” Entertainment Television awards and we seem to be turning a blind eye to it. I know quite a number of Africans in America say that they don’t know why Africans take the BET awards seriously, but I believe it’s actually a good thing to be recognized for your craft whether locally or internationally. If it’s being done, it ought to be done properly.

Dear BET, thank you for encouraging our African artists. However, we want our nominated artists to be fully incorporated into the award ceremony. If you are not proud to show them off to the whole world, biko leave them in Africa for us, we value and appreciate them over here. They are Queens and Kings in Africa, don’t treat them any less. We should always remember that all men were created equal. Know your worth.

BellaNaijarians, what’s the way forward? Should we #OccupyBET? Join the conversation

Ariyike Akinbobola is a lawyer turned media personality. She is an associate producer/TV presenter for Spice TV's talk show "On the Couch" and Spice Toys. You can also watch her on her Youtube channel Ariyike Weekly. She is married with children. Follow her on Twitter and Instagram @LadyAriyike. She blogs at www.reflectionswithariyike.blogspot.com

1. mrs chidukane

July 6, 2014 at 11:12 am

Good article. I especially felt bad for Tiwa cos she went out of her way to hire a dance troupe, make new costumes just to play for BET employees who looked like they were doing sound check. I thought Tiwa and Co would have a set in the actual award ceremony. In fact, I suggest they should not bother attending anymore but make sure to tell BET why& have them ship the award to whoever won.Its just a big insult. I don’t know why African Americans feel they have an edge over Africans, because they don’t. If not for bad leadership, they won’t even see our backs.

• Thatgidigirl

July 6, 2014 at 12:28 pm

I knoooow right???? I was furious when i saw the energetic performance Tiwa put up in front of technicians and staff after paying for flight, etc. I truly do not blame them because even we africans act like we’re at the bottom of the food chain. A list nigerian actresses taking cameo roles in grade C series in america (no shade), you hang out with black american artistes and its all over instagram, you really need to see the way nigerian men chase after black american girls at OTC….they want to die inside the matter!…..hence kenya moore. Warri ppl say “na as you take shade your okro na so e go sell” so the earlier they start acting like they deserve respect, the better for them. Even Rihanna doesn’t recognise the BET awards so why do we have to chop shit on top the matter?

• slice

July 6, 2014 at 1:26 pm

Nah they don’t include int’l artiste for the same reason they don’t include the awards given to all peerformances. As far I know, every major award show in americawill nt present some awards live and those awards are usually given to pple that are not well known. U know the kind of awrds that wld make the oscars go on for 5 hours. I bet if they presented tiwa her award live, pple wld be looking at the screen like who? Africans are nt the only ones they do that to. Give it time. If these artistes popularity gorws and they become well known in the us the way beyonce n co are known in africa, trust things will change. For now baby steps and congrats to our guys

• Berry Dakara

July 6, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Exactly.

• Kelvin

July 6, 2014 at 6:36 pm

Now here is someone who actually understands how shows work. You rock!

• Ben Wise

July 6, 2014 at 8:50 pm

First of, to correct the author, I did watch BET last year here in the US ( in Los Angeles, California where the event was held) and they did air ice Prince’s award presentation and his speech. And I thought oh wow they changed their rules now.

Unfortunately I didn’t get to watch the award this year as I was busy enjoying the World Cup, but even then, I was expecting that they had set a precedent during last year’s award ceremony.
      Not for them to go back to their usual back door presentation.

If BET invited the artists to receive an award, would it kill them to devote less than a minutes for the recipient to accept the award on stage? I know if it were black Americans being treated this way by the Grammys, we will be up in arms. The OSCARS which is by far the biggest entertainment award ceremony even allows their international award recipient on stage even though some of the recipients doesn’t even speak English fluently, they still get the chance to receive the award on stage.

I don’t think this will change until our artists start demanding respect by being themselves and not trying to look like 2Chains (pun intended) or Rihanna. African acts, especially Nigerians try so much to look and act like American rappers that in the process they loose respect in situations like this. Why even spend all the money flying here just to be handed the award back stage. Until one of this act writes an open letter that they are not coming after receiving their invitation, we shouldn’t be the ones demanding respect for them. But knowing our artistes, they will come because they are all hungry to belong and be seen and want validation.

@Slice, you mean to tell me that being popular in Africa is not enough to be recognized in a black American award? I don’t think you need to gain Beyoncé’s super star status to be considered popular enough to receive an award you were awarded. Even the Beyoncé you mentioned doesn’t even attend the BET awards.

• ceekay

July 6, 2014 at 11:51 pm

very on point comment…love the part of ‘bad leadership’.

2. P.O.P.E

July 6, 2014 at 11:17 am

On point. #occupyBET Joor

3. babe

July 6, 2014 at 11:33 am

eyaaa,I feel bad for dem.nxt year nobody shld bother going n they shldnt bother including best african art in their award category.who d hell do they tink they are sef.am seriously vexing o.

4. baboushka

July 6, 2014 at 11:40 am

Let’s get this hashtag going #occupyBET and future nominees should boycott the event whether live or backstage they can accept their awards via skype in their home countries. Also if BET is serious then they should go the MTV way and have BET Africa Awards on African soil so our artistes can perform and accept awards on stage instead of disgracing African acts like this. All the nominees managers should write protest letters to BET on the treatment given to their clients.

• supercute diamond

July 6, 2014 at 12:40 pm

You have said it all dear!

5. Dee

July 6, 2014 at 12:33 pm

It is ironic that the same African Americans who complain about being marginalized and ignored by mainstream Hollywood is doing the same to their fellow Africans. I think if African artists have any dignity they should boycott the BET awards henceforth. People can only disrespect you when you allow them to.

• SASSYCASSIE

July 6, 2014 at 8:43 pm

uhm, BET was sold to VIACOM, a white owned company some five yrs ago. BET HAS NOT BEEN BLACK IN A VERY LONG TIME

6. Aminat

July 6, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I have a lot to say about this because I have been thinking about it but would keep it short here. This is plain insult on our artists and should be stopped we adore and almost worship their artists when they come here allow them take control of the whole award show but look how they treat us at BET. Not fair at all and I think it stop, either our artists stop being treated as such by letting the so called award be shipped to them or just ignore them. Am just upset about this, was happy to watch them perform until I saw “earlier today” for the award and Ice Prince was so fake about it that was the annoying part.

• Idak

July 6, 2014 at 2:46 pm

As long as the artists themselves condone it,it will continue unabated. No need for long sermons as long as fake characters like Ice prince are recipients and celebrate it as such,they will continue to play before technicians during sound check sessions.
      Let us spare the epistles for more worthy causes and let us occupy on behalf of more helpless victims. These ones are willing to sell their honour for mess of porridge, so let them be.

7. Blaqgurlrock

July 6, 2014 at 1:26 pm

What are you all ranting about, it’s their awards show & they can do whatever they want if you feel disrespected simply reject the award, Africans like to claim right, our artist do not need BET to validate them. Infact the BET awards started when the African Americans were not being recognised and awarded by the oyibos and they decided to help themselves, Africans should take note and stop complaining.

8. Busarni

July 6, 2014 at 1:26 pm

No shade, No shade; it will continue happening as long as our artists seek validation in a wrong way.

• BEAUTIFULNBLESSED

July 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm

GBAM! YOU HAVE SAID IT ALL……..

9. Nadia

July 6, 2014 at 1:47 pm

Hmmm I think you are overthinking it even the Grammys do that they don’t present all awards during the live show. Let’s be frank the average American has no idea who Davido and Tiwa are and it all about ratings.

10. Neharra

July 6, 2014 at 2:04 pm

As an unbiased African this is my opinion. First of all the BET awards has an allocated time slot even though it’s aired live. There are numerous performances that take place and numerous awards that have to be presented. NOT EVERYTHING CAN BE MAKE IT TO THE LIVE SHOW!!! It would probably take 6 hrs if that were to happen, and no one wants to sit there for that long or even watch it for that long. This therefore means they have to prioritize. Awards like best actor/actress/, best sportsman/woman and certain new coming hiphop and rnb awards are given on the pre show. Certain rnb and hip hop performances are also left for the pre show. It is mostly the heavy weight artists that make it to the live show. Remember this is still a tv station so it’s all about the RATINGS!! As much as we love our African artists, at least 85% of the American viewers have no idea who they are. Why then will they be allowed to perform on the live show or receive awards on the live show, when lesser American acts more known than them are only able to perform on the pre show? Again, it’s all about ratings, so the A list celebs have to be showcased more (yes, Nigerian artists are not A list in America).
    Secondly Africans, for the most part, have inferiority complex. It’s great that an international body like BET decided to recognize them, but these are not defining moments in their career. The African award shows should take WAY MORE precedence than this. The African artists do not need an American award in order to feel like the huge success that they already are.

• Neharra

July 6, 2014 at 2:07 pm

Correction, **NOT EVERYTHING CAN MAKE IT TO THE LIVE SHOW**

• Real8

July 6, 2014 at 3:06 pm

You see how they prioritize best sportsman, new artist, and co, they can also prioritize their international acts too. It’s worthy of priority in terms of receiving their awards, these acts travel so far to be part of the show and should given due regard if not for anything at all, for coming so far at least. In terms of singing on the live show, Africa is not ready. I stand my ground on that.

• Neharra

July 6, 2014 at 7:28 pm

My point was that they DON’T prioritize awards like best sportsman/woman, best actor actress, and best new artist etc due to time constraints and ratings. Believe it or not, the Best international Act is a minor award on that show. Most Americans have no Idea who these artists are, and it would not be a smart business idea to put them on prime time. Also while their presence was probably appreciated, no one cares that they travelled far and wide. Like I clearly stated Africans should stop feeling inferior by seeking validation from international recognition. If they feel like they deserved better, next time don’t attend?

• iba

July 7, 2014 at 12:00 am

Quite sad but very true. Ratings, ratings, ratings is the way the American’s roll. Series and programmes have been put to rest due to poor ratings (ask Kris Jenner) Plus the fact remains they dont know them Tiwa, David O or Mafikizolo and co. America is a great country but very very self centered. Hell thats why they had to do their own version of ”the killing”. LOL

11. beauty

July 6, 2014 at 2:17 pm

There is more to this story. I think you should think about it deeper. Would you rather they scrap the category?

• Neharra

July 6, 2014 at 7:35 pm

Quite frankly, they should probably scrap it. Ten years from now the African category may still never make it to the main show because there will still be a vast majority of Americans who will not be familiar with African music.

12. Anonymous

July 6, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I think it all boils down to airtime and advert fees. If all the awards were to be handed during the ceremony, the show might go over it’s allotted time slot. Also, I do not think American companies who pay heavily for advert spaces during such shows do so in order for BET to showcase artists that are not as popular in the US and worldwide. Nigerian artists who keep working hard and making the most of opportunities should be rest assured that their time on the world stage would definitely come.

13. Mostest

July 6, 2014 at 2:33 pm

First off I seriously doubt the credibility of these awards. If you have a good PR team and a few people know your songs abroad you can probably get international award. I think it’s even better the awards are presented without a live audience. Imagine getting up on stage in front of the whole crowd and no one even cheers cos they don’t know who the hell you are. Na only you go waka come and go by yourself.

• CarliforniaBawlar

July 6, 2014 at 9:39 pm

Hahaha!! And an argument like yours is why I love BN. …..seeing things from several perspectives. While I don’t see your comment as enough excuse for African Americans not to attempt to celebrate Africans….your point is very valid,the awkwardness no go get part two!!lmao
      But on a serious note, to prevent that situation, how about showcasing the nominated artists on that their countdown show once they announce nominees?? Just clips of their songs, put links on their websites so their audience can get familiar….
      anyway na them sabi jare

14. Fola

July 6, 2014 at 2:53 pm

Great pointers in your write up Ariyike, at least it shows that more people are savvy to that fact that African Americans are equally racist or more racist than white people. It’s understandable tho, if you live in a racially charged world where you have to be politically correct in your every action. I worked with an African American boss and was shocked at her level of hostility to me in particular despite our racial similarities. Point to note; as an African in the US or anywhere else in the world love yourself first and validate yourself. Tell your own story, then real respect will come

15. Real8

July 6, 2014 at 2:56 pm

I understand how it can be, it’s like inviting someone to your house and putting them up in the gate house, very wrong. At the same time, African acts are not ready to perform on the international live stage; why did I say this? Until Africa learns to perfect the act of live performances this may be all we get. All these lip syncing we do and shouting ‘ay’ is not it. I can’t go to concerts in Nigeria cos I used to be a chronic concert goer b4 I made my big move to Nigeria in 2010 and watching people lip sync is so unbearable and such a criminal act to me. It’s never done. But it’s the norm here in African so we need to understand their position and better our act too. That said I see no reason at all why international acts should not receive their awards on the live stage, no reason at all, that is just plain rude on so many levels.

16. ao

July 6, 2014 at 3:31 pm

As someone that went to school with AA’s (from grade to professional school), I can tell you that a significant number of them, if not the majority,
    feel superior to Africans including the ones that live in ghettos. Period. Africa is looked upon as the bottom of the barrel and as long as Africans, collectively and individually, continue to chase after AA’s and others this will never change.

• Na Wa

July 6, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Very true. African Americans look down on Africans and its quite unbelievable. Once they know you’re african, theytreat you so bad and speak rudely to you. One comment that gets me all the time is “you speak really good English for an african.”

Ignorant people!!!

• baboushka

July 6, 2014 at 11:17 pm

I once replied that with “so do you for an American” when they looked perplexed I added “You do know English came from England right?” the look on their faces was priceless hahahaha best moment ever!!!

17. bukola

July 6, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Ariyike thanks for ur good observation. We shd all say “NO TO RACISM” anyway congrats to our Davido.

18. Changing Faces

July 6, 2014 at 4:18 pm

It’s their award show, they can do as they please. Why must our artistes collect BET awards? They want American validation by fire by force… until we develop out entertainment industry to be appreciated worldwide, they’d keep collecting awards backstage, and performing for tables and chairs. Shun BET, and they’d respect you!

19. amebo

July 6, 2014 at 4:32 pm

*sips alomo*

20. Vic

July 6, 2014 at 4:52 pm

Just as i thought,we shd tell them to shove their awards.

21. Jumoke

July 6, 2014 at 6:11 pm

I believe the African artiste should reject the awards next year and let’s see who will watch the bet awards next year… We are just been used so they can get viewers from Africa. I really think the African artiste who represented us a really talented and did not deserve performing to cleaners,crew members etc…. Best they don’t waste their money,time and resources again! Ariyike this is a wonderful post highlighting the injustice suffered by us Africans. Yeah some of you will say na who send them really if I was in their shoes would be so happy and excited… Hope someone from BET sees this and do the right thing hate to think they also practice segregation.

22. Libgirl

July 6, 2014 at 6:25 pm

BET is White owned, the decision to not show the African artists may have come from the top. I don’t think Debra Lee would’ve changed their minds, if she wanted to. It’s unfortunate, because it makes it seem as though AAs are doing this to Africans. Anyway, does anyone remember if this happened when it was Black owned?

23. pauline

July 6, 2014 at 7:12 pm

We can say all we want, really, but I doubt our African artistes will want to ignore such recognition. It happened last year, this year, don’t think next year will be an exception.

24. Julie02

July 6, 2014 at 7:43 pm

Please….anyone that feels this way, simply start a hashtag or e-mail campaign to BET. As an American, I agree…it’s only fair to showcase our African brothers and sisters talents as well. They must have some misguided reasons for excluding footage of accepting the awards and performances if there are any. A lot of Americans actually listen to African music, so why not. Please understand that there are a few people behind the scenes at BET that make these programming decisions and it does not reflect the thoughts of the American population that would love to see these performances live.

• Deedar

July 6, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Good article and interesting range of the viewpoints in the comments. Definitely a worthwhile conversation to have and I think we should ask for our African artistes to be duly recognized.

25. Mo Aremu

July 6, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Personally I feel it was so unfair because I tuned in to BET last sunday just to watch my Naija people, I noticed none of them were on the red carpet and at first I was confused, because logging on to the internet I saw they had performed and collected awards etc. It took a while to realize that this occurred earlier, when BET even showed awards that were collected behind the scene I though our Naija ppl would be there. mtsheeeew
    If I knew I wouldn’t see Tiwa or Davido I would not have wasted time tuning in.
    BET needs to do better. They should have made it like CNN where you have international and different countries but when they air important shows they air on all the different platforms. It’s just like showing CNN Heroes only in CNN South Africa.
    (I live in the US so no African award was aired on BET).

26. HonorableVP

July 6, 2014 at 7:56 pm

#OccupyBET

27. Mama mia

July 6, 2014 at 8:23 pm

Any one who watches any award show would understand that award shows usually works this way be you black, white, green or blue the major awards are given on stage while others are given elsewhere. I remembered during the Grammys last year Ossy Osbourne’s group won a Grammy and Kelly his daughter found out while doing E live on the red carpet she was so excited that she had to leave to go congratulate her dad before the show started proper. however, his group were never called upon for that particular award! The question is, should it matter where or how these awards are given? Because, at the end of the day it’s the same award and your name will always be attached to that award no matter what. However, I subscribe to their performing on the same stage as the others as it creates a bigger platform for our African artists. P.s We should be more vocal on what our naija musicians churn out daily especially lyrically and voice wise especially when competing on a center stage as their international counterparts. Sorry!!!

28. thormmie

July 6, 2014 at 8:47 pm

Like!!! I know right? When davido was called, I was expecting them to show him when he was coming from his seat and even when he invited others on stage. Its really bad of them(bet) to do that, even with the whole speech made by debra lee about a time when african-americans were blacked out on tv and they are indirectly “blacking out” africans. It so bad and such things shouldn’t go on and people pretend like its nothing. That’s why I love bella naija, she( Mrs uche pedro) sees what are meant to be seen and draws people’s attention on relevant issues. Well, this is relevant.

29. kay

July 6, 2014 at 9:09 pm

Who is BET why Do we need their AWARDS..they are in inconsequential and not even recognized here in the US…they are seen as ghetto and low class..most of their genres were not even recognized the Grammy for years…AFRICAN ARTISTES shouldn’t even bother attending..look at great groups like mafikizolo….they and tiwa savage DANCING furiously backstage to sound GUYS and TECHNICIANS in some MAKE SHIFT STAGE..what rubbish

30. kay

July 6, 2014 at 9:10 pm

It’s all about JEALOUSY and. Competition they are threatened by US simple…there is no compliance acted explanation…

31. kay

July 6, 2014 at 9:11 pm

I meant complicated explanation

32. nene

July 6, 2014 at 9:29 pm

boycott BET. who gives a shit? if it’ was Grammy’s, it would make sense, BET is ridiculous.

33. khan hearty

July 6, 2014 at 10:22 pm

I just think BET is too white to understand that black is beautiful…… I urge everyone with a “bantu” skin to feed BET with the fact that even his eldest brother called OSCAR has come to embrace this truth…….. Why acting like WET? Aren’t you BET?

34. Lily

July 6, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Like seriously,I feel the african americans look down on africans. Even if the award was presented during the pre show,the least they can do is to clap for the winner. Last year when ice prince came out for his award,not a single clap from even the blacks we recognize as being one. Atleast these nominees travelled far for the show,d least they can do is to clap. If it’s over here one or two persons would even be flogged just because they came to watch them perform. We the africans don’t respect ourselves when we are around the black americans or whites,until we do,we’ll be respected in return.

35. O~Intuition!

July 6, 2014 at 10:44 pm

True Talk!
    Good Observations!!

Lovely Read!!!

36. aisha

July 7, 2014 at 12:03 am

First of all I hardly think any good music comes out of black America anymore. Very few good ppl actually get to make it to the limelight and stay there. African music on the other hand has evolved beautifully. So many wonderful artists across the continent satisfying every musical palate. My point? There’s really no basis for comparison and as such neither BET not MTV or any non- African body for that matter should get to decide for us who’s hot n who’s not. They don’t understand our music or our industry. And that’s fine. I like to think we’re making our own way and we’re taking over the world regardless.

37. mujer

July 7, 2014 at 3:12 am

“I still don’t understand why the international acts (Africa and UK) at the BET awards are not allowed to receive their awards in front of the live American viewers.”

Might have to do with ratings. They have many things that cannot be shown in the allotted time. So they have to prioritize. The traditional approach is to schedule what will blow your ratings through the roof. This means they have to schedule artists that are readily identifiable by the American audience. Unfortunately, Davido and Ice Prince are not on that list since Nicki, Beyonce and co are on it. This is why our artists need to find a way to broaden the audience for African music in the United States. Find that mainstream station that will mix the songs with American songs. Maybe start in the clubs. For example Davido’s tchelete should be playing in clubs in the US!

38. Wifey

July 7, 2014 at 6:38 am

BET is not really a show that artists should aspire to be show cased on. I applaud them for being black owned, and for showing acts, music from africans and african americans that will NEVER NEVER EVER be seen in the mainstream media. However, they are growing, so give them a chance. If you look at a BET award show 4 years ago, you would be ashamed, and even go to wash your eyes. But each year they improve.

hmmm… does anyone remember the year little wayne got on stage and sang I want to f**k all the girls in the world while his 12 year old daughter and her friends sang/danced along. That is what you want to be a part of? Like I said, they are growing. As far as racism is concerned … yes you can find racism and colorism. But you can also find that in Nigeria.

I’m not really defending them, because it seems like a joke to me. But you should know that there is no brother for business.

• SASSYCASSIE

July 7, 2014 at 1:49 pm

BET IS NO LONGER BLACK OWNED!!!! IT IS OWNED BY VIACOM, A WHITE COMPANY!!! PEOPLE REALLY NEED TO EDUCATE THEMSELVES!!

39. Mistura

July 7, 2014 at 10:57 am

i actually agree with this report 100% and I didn’t even know that it was pre recorded , here was mi and my younger sister watching it think this year will be better they got some to perform maybe they will show some of the performances like davido has plenty of singles they couldnt play one as he walked to the stage or the cemera couldnt follow has he walked to the stage its very very disrespectful, likewise with the uk act too they complete insulted the acts lets see if they actually consider making a change

40. laila

July 7, 2014 at 11:52 am

I see you were coming from a good place but I see BET is really making an effort. I hope they release a statement soon

41. Phummie

July 7, 2014 at 12:51 pm

But I watched the show and the award was presented live……abi I no dey see. Sakordie and iceprince presented the award I think. plz enlighten novice like us….

42. chimi

July 7, 2014 at 4:53 pm

i thought this BET Award was meant for black entertainment. its really disrespectful that our african artistes did not performed nor receive their award live on stage. when American artists are always pririotized when they are here in african for entertainment. as for africans in their eyes they are nobody.i think its time for us african to prove to the world that we are not what they think we are.we are not backward as they think. we have evolve in many ways. we do things they cannot do. just mere hospitality they cannot give to our nominated artists.who do they think they are. when we receive african american artists here as if they are our God. all this has to stop. my message to our artists is they should borther paying flight and go somewhere they not they won’t have their precious time.and more to that performing backstage with technicians and staff who are trying to taste their appliances.this is terrible. i was the one i will not even perform. I was aancious to see our african artists perform. just to realize they did it back stage. i was so divastated. what world we live in. i heard they they say african artist don perform live because they don’t pay taxes. its inrelevant. why shld they pay taxes while they dont live in america. or as we highly profile and listen to american musics is becos they also pay taxes in africa. this is silly. if they were nominated they have to be presented on live stage, period. what to do want in music? that african musics is not up to the standard. we are african and we depict our culture in our musics. that is our own way of doing entertainment. WE are one in God’s eye. nobody is different in his eye. Lets stop racism and black black black racism. they are even the black american bringing racism to this world.

43. Safari Music

July 7, 2014 at 10:07 pm

Nigerian music aka Afrobeat is not recognize on America music market. America radio dnt play our songs, plus BET / MTV dnt show our videos. Since most American audience dnt recognize Afrobeat music, it gonna be very hard to give Africans award live on stage. D audience won’t know who is Davido or Tiwa Savage… so let’s give our music time to grow in d American music market. Afrobeat will get there just like Reggaeton n Soca did.

• tunmi

July 8, 2014 at 2:43 pm

Actually Nigerian songs were playing along with some Caribbean (sorry for clumping the entire region together) songs some weeks ago on 99.5, which is a huge pop station in the DMV area

44. sum1special

July 11, 2014 at 11:48 am

Baby steps…..our Nigerian acts are not that known internationally, hey probably will at some point. If they were to show all awardees live. The awards show will go on for more than 5- 6 hours. Guess they have to show the popular celebrities receive their awards more than Nigerian or other African acts.