Features

Mya Williams: Calling All the Maximum Thrill Seekers

A short few years ago, for our honeymoon, we headed to South Beach, Miami, Florida. We spent our days cycling scenic routes, taking in culture, shopping, hanging on the beach and eating, while the nights were spent bar hopping and clubbing. The absolute highlight of the trip though, was going skydiving. YES! I convinced my partner (who was extremely petrified) to jump out of a plane at 15,000 feet. I am a maximum thrill seeker and once I found out there was a skydiving centre in Miami, I immediately put it on our to do list.

The experience was exhilarating to say the least. It truly is one of the best memories I have. My husband on the other hand may disagree – I can still hear his screams very clearly “I’m falling, I’m falling, I want to go back down, please put me down” I remember thinking to myself then, a few metres away from him; also free falling “well, you’re definitely on your way down”. Whenever I need a good laugh, I watch his skydiving video. He would later admit it was quite an experience, though he says the worst part of it was the flight. Obviously, we had to fly in a plane to achieve the 15,000 feet we needed to dive safely, but the plane was TINY! Both of us strapped to our flying instructors and with little room to manoeuvre, I was literally almost bumping heads with the pilot. For me, the only moment I balked was when the doors opened and I looked down; with the world beneath me, for a second I thought to myself “who sent you”. But once we started free falling, the adrenalin rush was insane. It really is an experience; I would love to go again, though I’m sure I will be on my own!

I have always loved adventure and the outdoors, so last week when we were lucky enough to get away to Los Angeles for a break, I knew Six Flags (a roller coaster theme park) had to be on our list. I have been to some other theme parks prior to this trip (Alton Towers and Thorpe Park) but I had heard that Six Flags, Magic Mountain in LA, was the mother of all roller coaster theme parks (Trust America to always be ahead) and so it was a must.

Forgetting how angry the sun was that day, we had a blast! Once again, I was faced with a lot of resistance and after just one ride, le hubby said he was done and nothing was making him budge. He once again took this opportunity to remind me that I made him jump out of a plane, so he got comfy in front of a live band with some food. Armed with my map of the park, I went in search of the rides that had been listed under “maximum level”. Being low season, there were hardly any queues for almost all the rides and I got to do most rides twice; the ride would end and depending on how much I liked it, I’d just stay put and go again. I’d heard about one in particular – X2 and most agreed it was the maddest ride of the park, so I saved it for last; even the name excited me. I tell you, X2 did not disappoint. As I climbed up the stairs to the entrance of X2, a batch was just getting off the ride and I could see there was some scrambling going on; it turns out a girl had just come off and was about to puke, so the attendants were scrambling for a bin. I didn’t let that scare me oh, I got in, buckled up and prepared to be blown away and blown away I was! Hands down, best ride of the park! I know this because, aside from the most unusual and mind boggling dips, turns, flips and twists, as a rollercoaster veteran, I’m not that much of a screamer, I just enjoy it with short bursts of “woahs and ahs” here and there, but on X2, I screamed all the way and went THREE times. It was amazing!

Fellow thrill seekers and soon to be inducted, if you find yourself in Six Flags, you MUST try X2, Full Throttle, Scream, Goliath, Tatsu and Superman amongst others, these are the best rides. And if you’re brave enough to stomach sky diving, I highly recommend it, you’ll love it, but please please and please, DO NOT close your eyes when you free fall, you’ll spoil the fun!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Innovatedcaptures

Mya Williams is a fiercely passionate and fun loving rebel/nonconformist. She loves to write in her free time. She emphatically believes that certain societal customs and norms must be challenged if one is to have a truly fulfilled and happy life.

1. Chiomski

September 30, 2014 at 3:57 pm

We don hear.

2. Ms. Sane

September 30, 2014 at 4:38 pm

I’m a big chicken when it comes to heights but Sky Diving is on my bucket list of things to do. One go at it will probably be enough though. Bungee jumping is another crazy thing on my bucket list. I don’t even know which of the two is worse. #LifetimeThings #AdrenalineRush

3. Eny

September 30, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Erm. I used to think i was a thrill seeker o, till i met you (Your post). Right now im seriously considering relinquishing the title to you and staying on solid ground

4. LOLS

September 30, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Just my kind of thing!!! Dear Mya can we be friends already! Lol. I live for thrills such as these. My most recent was the Edge Walk at the CN Tower, Canada. Roller coaster rides are a must for me every holiday. Alton Towers, Disney Florida, Gold Reef City SA, Canada’s Wonderland, been there. Definitely have skydiving and bungee jumping on my list. I’m soooo the screaming type but after every frightening ride I’m ready to do it all over again. That adrenaline rush is a natural high! Lol

5. Mz Socially Awkward...

September 30, 2014 at 7:22 pm

Dammit, now I want to go to Six Flags. Sky diving, not so much…

When did you say the low season is?

6. S!

September 30, 2014 at 8:27 pm

How has ever been on a Slingshot?

7. Halia

October 1, 2014 at 3:38 am

Omgoodness I’m such an adrenaline junkie too! Love stuff like this! Rafting the Nile, bungee jumping, dirt bike desert racing, jet skiing, snowmobiling, AMAZiNG! Sky diving is definitely NEXT! Lol #ridindirty

8. Ijebu Boy

October 1, 2014 at 5:20 am

9. yeancah

October 1, 2014 at 5:58 am

All this diving things wey you mention so. do we have them in naija??? i love adventure too thats why i like to stand at old oshodi to observe the environment. that alone is an adventure… meanwhile you did not tell us the downsides to all this diving…. any drawbacks?

• Idomagirl

October 2, 2014 at 4:19 am

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL! @ ‘stand at Oshodi’

10. Dee-USA

October 1, 2014 at 6:41 am

I second the experience of sky diving. One of the best feelings you can experience, free falling from 15,000 ft. I went alone, but will definitely do it again. I also did the Six Flags rides in Chicago. I’m trying to convince friends to go with me in Jersey. I haven’t gone bungee jumping yet, but it’s next on my list.

11. D

October 1, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I am yet to go sky diving, I was about to sign up (Sky diving) after learning how to shoot but when i was still in the planning stages then Mr. CNN had a report on someone that went Sky diving and the equipment malfunctioned well, both the instructor and individual died, and all my plans instantly placed on ice.. Hubby was already a No, I will most likely still do it, my sister will do it with me once we can be somewhere together that does that type of thing.
    I went on all sorts of rides in Six Flags Chicago never got sick then went to a small state fair and rode on the wheel of fire and got sick, lets just say I have not been a huge fan of rides ever since. I don’t considered myself an adrenaline junkie though.