Fencing World Cup event in Senegal Canceled over Ebola fears


Fear of the spread of the Ebola virus has prompted the cancellation of a sabre fencing World Cup event in Dakar, Senegal by the sport’s world governing body FIE.

The German Fencing Federation’s director of sports, Sven Ressel, disclosed the cancellation to newsmen on Wednesday.

“This absolutely makes sense;  precautionary measures are being taken,’’ Sven said.

Team and individual men’s fencing events were scheduled to take place on October 31st and November 1st.

The World Health Organisation said the virus had been contained in Senegal.

Photo Credit: Katatonia82 /Dreamstime.com