News

Nigerian Man in UK Reportedly Scams Women of £100,000 After Posing as African Orphanage Owner on Match.com

Adewole

Adewale Adewole

Four women on Match.com thought they had found Mr. Right. They gave him their hearts and money but all they got was heartache and embarrassment in return, as they found out he was a fraudster.

Adewale Adewole, 31, a Nigerian man based in the UK, is allegedly the fraudulent heartbreaker. He is now facing jail time after admitting to four charges of fraud, Daily Mail reports.

The married father of two allegedly scammed the women out of almost £100,000 after pretending to be a Royal Marine on Match.com, named Timmy Francis, who owned an orphanage in Africa. On one of his profiles, he had the nickname ‘Charismatic Brit,’ and on the other, ‘To live and love.’ He claimed he was looking for love.

Adewole is said to have used a picture of of an actual Royal Marine Commando called Joshua McGowan, as his display picture.

Sources say he told the women he had been robbed at his “orphanage,” and so they sent him money and paid his bills. Unknown to them, Adewole was diverting the money into his wife’s bank account. He also spent the money on expensive designer clothes, iPads, and TVs.

Investigations revealed that whenever he set up dates with the women, he would never show up.

Prosecutor, Charlotte Brandon told the court:

“‘Adewale told the women that on a trip to Africa he was the victim of a crime and needed money. The crime meant he could not access his own funds.

He said they would get their money back and would be sent letters from the World Health Organisation to show that he would be able to pay them.

These letters were sent, but from an M30 Manchester postmark. He also sent them links to websites which, when logging in with details he gave them, appeared to show that he had a huge bank balance and would eventually be able to pay them back.

One woman was asked to pay for a hotel for him. When she rang the number he gave her for the hotel, they also confirmed the information and she agreed to pay it.

She later received a cheque addressed to him for £35,000 to prove he had money, but this was later discovered to be a stolen cheque forged in his own handwriting.

Over a number of months each woman transferred significant sums of money via bank accounts and Western Union moneygrams and sent items to the defendant’s home address. They bought electronic items, took out credit cards and loans and bought clothes from Next. “

When police searched his house in 2012, they found a digital camera, which had been purchased by one of his victims. It contained pictures of the accused, along with his wife and children. They also found several SIM cards in his wallet, which contained the women’s contact information.

He was also in possession of  two Blackberry phones which had three different email accounts linked to the two Match.com accounts. In addition, £4,500 was found under his bed. He was subsequently arrested.

However, Adewale has denied the allegations, and has blamed the fraud on his flatmate Samson Ajayi. He told police that Ajayi had told him to help him transfer money to his relatives. He also claims that he vaguely remembers using match.com.

“The fraud was Samson’s idea. I got involved because I had a few financial difficulties at the time.

I did not speak with the complainants. I did not know money was being sent to Nigeria but I knew it was being sent to my bank account and my wife’s bank account.

I do not know where Samson is at the moment. He travels a lot. I have no idea about the details of this fraud. I didn’t even know how many victims there were.

But I pleaded guilty because if I had not let my bank account or flat be used, these women would not have suffered in the way that they did.

Samson said he was expecting some money. He said he had no bank accounts to receive the money so I wanted to help him. He was owing me rent at the time and this was the only way he could pay me,” he said.

The court hearings are still ongoing.

Photo Credit: Daily Mail

1. Asgrl

December 5, 2014 at 5:07 pm

Lmaooooo Odu boys.

• purplieciousbabe

December 6, 2014 at 1:08 am

Lool was my exact reaction.
      Ladies/Gents never send/opt to receive money online or strangers you never met or you met but feels dodgy etc. I am this close to dizzing the women but anyone can fall a prey . Xx

2. ak

December 5, 2014 at 5:12 pm

What is wrong with Nigerians?!?

Everywhere YAHOO YAHOO… E no do una? Later you will be complaining about unjust treatment, but here you are proliferating reasons for us to be discriminated against??

This life! Who knows who is lying? Who can we trust now?!?

3. Nkay

December 5, 2014 at 5:22 pm

This is why Nigerians are forever seen as fraudsters. Sad.
    I will say though, people stop substituting emotion for plain common sense. God gave people brains—and eyes. Shine them very well.

4. Ona

December 5, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Do Yahoo yahoo—> Hammer—-> Flaunt on IG —–> Become a lagos/abuja/PH socialite—–> Burn thru cash—–> Repeat

• Nn

December 5, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Lmao @ repeat ha hahahah

5. rs

December 5, 2014 at 5:57 pm

awon baba ni yen….. OLE!!!!!!!!!!!

6. tina

December 5, 2014 at 6:47 pm

The problem is decaying moral fabric in the society, every Nigerian now wants to be a celebrity, own the gold plated hummer or any exotic cars, live in Lekki or somewhere close to that and have their egos and names rubbed and exalted! When I was young, if you suddenly become rich over night, people will be very suspicious of you. Questions like – where did he get his wealth from? Hope he didn’t do something evil to get this wealth? or – please stay away from this man because we dont know how he suddenly became rich with no visible activity for people to see. These will make people think twice before committing crime to get rich suddenly, but it is so sad to see Nigerians now wanting to get rich overnight. The elders will pray for gang robbers, yahoo boys once they bring the luxury cars and give people money! Even the so called pastors and alfas will pray for them and exalt them once these hoodlums pay their ‘tithes’ to them. It is a pity that the moral fabric of our society has deteriorated to this level, even the few upright ones are mocked among so many polluted voices. Only God knows what our children’s future will look like. God have mercy!

7. Nn

December 5, 2014 at 8:52 pm

As per!!!!!!! Always us and them in particular

8. Gistyinka Blog

December 5, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Sorry for this young man for allowing his flatmate to fool him.

9. YemiD

December 5, 2014 at 10:03 pm

STORY FOR THE GODS!!!! ha

10. ATL's finest

December 5, 2014 at 10:13 pm

Let’s be reasonable here! I get it Match.com however, why will U send money to a total stranger? That’s a red flag & no offense but Nigerians are so RIDIC! Some dude tried to scam me maybe he thinks everyone is mugu like him so I replied him in broken English jeez, he started begging and saying help a brother out shm..

11. Omoté

December 6, 2014 at 6:03 am

Lol! You didn’t know money was being sent to Nigeria but you knew money was being sent to ur acct n ur wife’s. Stupid man! All diz fraudsters just dey embarrass us up n down.

12. Tony

December 6, 2014 at 7:20 am

I wonder how these guys go about with these scams when they are such bad liars. Has he listened to how stupid his excuses are?? Quest for wealth without hard work is Greed. Now he would face the law. What pains me is the dent on image of all Africans deemed fraudsters.

13. Chloe

December 6, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Kai, this guy is married with kids, I don’t wanna imagine what the family will be going through at the moment. And It is possible his wife didn’t know what he was into till now. 🙁

14. Maria

December 6, 2014 at 7:07 pm

Stupid women, how do u go sending money you borrowed to someone never seen. Foolish women

15. nono blessed

December 7, 2014 at 11:26 am

These people won’t stop embarrassing us

16. leigh

December 8, 2014 at 11:56 am

hebanna!!!

17. leigh

December 8, 2014 at 11:58 am

one stupi Obinna tried to fool me like this as well,told me that he was stranded in China and got robbed of all his belongings,when i asked him why is he not contacting his family,he stopped . deuchebag of note