Features

Chogwu Enape: This Present Darkness

I used to read about wars or turn on the T.V and see the news on some refugees in some troubled country far away and something tugs at my heart but that small tug is where it ends. I would quickly forget about it because it was so far away. What was once so far away is now at my doorstep. Bombs go off almost every day; people have lost their families, their property, and their lands and they have now become refugees. Their lives have been changed forever. Girls were kidnapped from schools, young boys were kidnapped and some were just killed mercilessly.

It started to dawn on me. People are reading about me. People are turning on their T.V’s to see my people become refugees. My once great country has been reduced to a place where terrorist can go on a killing spree for days, unhindered. I have now realized how some things don’t become important to you until you it hits close to home. I joined other people online to talk, criticize, and just look for whom to blame and after a while I stopped.

Nobody was really listening anyway I thought. Elections are coming up and people are speculating on possible large scale violence because of the result of the elections. In all of this I have never actually been afraid. Yeah I panic when there is a new bomb blast somewhere but not fear. Then Baga happened. For some reason the news about Baga just weakened me. I just had this overwhelming feeling of tiredness and I had to sit down. The world had not yet recovered from the daze that the Paris attacks put us in then this. I log on to twitter and I read tweets about the attacks in Paris and freedom of speech and what not then I read about Baga. It’s like poisonous dark clouds are slowly sweeping over the earth causing many disasters to happen all at once. People like me no longer have homes.

They can no longer sit together as a family in the parlor struggling to get control of the remote. The mothers can no longer hold their babies and the men, their wives. It’s painful. It is very painful. The worst part is we have now developed thick skin to this kind of news. It happens every day and it’s no longer shocking. Talking about solidarity marches and people will ask you, ‘how many will we do?’ then an argument will start over the president or how his enemies are at it again. I am tired physically and spiritually. Sometimes I actually just give up. I quit Nigeria by not participating in debates about politics or the economy. I wish Nigeria could just stop. Like everybody, everything comes to a standstill.

No work or trade or whatever and then we go back to the drawing board and get it right this time. But I dream too much. Even if it is a possibility, before the meeting even starts the various tribes will kill themselves over who will take down minutes or be the scribe writing on the ‘board’. Yeah. That’s what is important to some people.

Giving up is not the solution though. Not enough people are fighting for this country and it’s a shame. If we don’t keep talking and speaking up, no one will hear us. We have to wake up. We have to care for each other, for our country. It shouldn’t matter where I am from. We get enough heat on that from the rest of the world, we shouldn’t do it ourselves. Do not allow people who don’t have the best interest of the country at heart to use to gain prominence by all means. Terrorists will not win. Please do not be tired of speaking up against terrorism. We are Charlie Hebdo. We are Baga, and the darkness will not win.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Sam74100

I am a lawyer and a Return Volunteer with Voluntary Service Overseas. I love movies, reading and travelling. I have an overactive shyroid gland sometimes. I would show you my ankle for a bowl of well-made indomie noodles. I am still trying to figure life out.

1. Ummi

January 14, 2015 at 12:42 pm

Proud of you my friend!

2. Eddy Achoba

January 14, 2015 at 1:01 pm

This article pulls at d’ heart of every average Nigerian. We seem to have become helpless facing dis monster called insurgency. This darkness shall not prevail! Well said chogwu.

3. Harmony V

January 14, 2015 at 1:04 pm

We have all felt like this. I hope we can use this upcoming elections to vote right. May God help us.

4. Ib

January 14, 2015 at 1:06 pm

I have never commented but OMG!! My bestie i am soooo proud of u for speaking out. If only talking n writting could change the way things are in this our country, o well… Nigeria it shall be with you my country.

5. Ojoma Odekina

January 14, 2015 at 2:06 pm

A great piece Chogwu, I have been overwhelmed with emotions ranging from anger to weakness and wanting to give up totally on my country Nigeria, yet not belonging to any other country I’ve decided only to hope and pray for the healing of this country. God Bless Nigeria and bring her out of this present darkness. Amen

6. zee tanko

January 14, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Wow chogwu, dis is very amazing, I jst couldn’t stop reading, thumbs up dear, wonder article

7. jojo enape

January 14, 2015 at 5:22 pm

nice …nice…everybody needs to get on this boats…we need more messages like this one….a lot of people have lost hope…..we need it to make Nigeria great again …nice one kiddo.

8. Victor Enape II

January 14, 2015 at 6:21 pm

They say Change is constant! but change would not happen without a drive or action.it is not as sure as the breaking of dawn or the setting of the sun…unless positive energies are activated towards that much needed change. If Nigeria would change , we must change our mind set on a lot of things. If you have a generation whose visions are clouded by ethno-religious and political sentiments, the latent and manifest effects can only be imagined. Should we see the light! We must set forth on the path of Love for one another and tolerance in all spheres of life.

9. Grace C

January 14, 2015 at 7:30 pm

Nice one Chogwu. You have spoken the mind of Nigerians. We cannot give up now. God will bring us out of this wahala in Jesus name.

10. imose

January 14, 2015 at 8:36 pm

And the change begins with you and I. Nice Write up chogwu. Lend your voice all Nigeria shall rise again!!

11. womeninspiredblog

January 15, 2015 at 12:36 am

As I entered the class today, my teacher greeted me with ‘what is happening in your country, I watched in the news of a particular killer sect and generally about your country. Can you enlighten us’? What would I have said? in a class with students from 18 countries? tell them the raw truth of how corruption have eaten deep and is contagious? or that boko haram unfortunately cannot be stopped even with the ‘help’ from major players? I love my Country, I am proud of my Country. Even in the face of all these, I pledge to Nigeria my Country, Therefore I lend a voice always. Nice write up Chogwu.

12. Immaculate Odekina

January 15, 2015 at 5:25 pm

The reality of terror so close home is frightening, not knowing when the next strike will happen and where it will be or how many casulaties will occur. A once peaceful State has been turned into chaos, lives and properties are destroyed with great temerity and no one to turn to. All we hear these days are promises upon promises that non has been fulfiled. No one tells us about the progress or regress made in finding the kidnapped girls, its as if they have being forgotten. Instead every one is concerned about the forth coming election and the pending fear of violence as an outcome of the result. Yes we must not give up on our dear country in the face of all the evil being perpetrated, in the face of all the greed, corruption and levity with which lives are being treated. We must dare to hope against hope because NIGERIA is our country and believe that this phase will soon pass. Non the less, we must not be silent, we must speak out!! Lovely one Chogwu

13. Inikpi

January 16, 2015 at 9:31 am

Sometimes all seems very strange around, I have refused to get accustomed to the situation, let’s keep up the patriotic spirit. I’m proudly Nigerian. God save our mother land. Nice one Chogwu.

14. Bhee

January 17, 2015 at 1:21 am

True talk, we need to stop and go back to the drawing board. these attacks are getting worse.
    fopesaiye.wordpress.com/2013/12/17/we-cant-feel-the-heat/

15. Cuthbert Chinji

April 16, 2015 at 9:05 am

For some reason, I bumped into this article – coincidentally – an article that is written by someone that was once my girlfriend :). Interesting!

I am not sure if my views would have any substance here.

But like any other ordinary person in the farthest corners of Africa, can see the scale of violence in Nigeria.

Since the advent of Boko Haraam, so many families have lost their innocent loved ones. In my humble opinion, I would like to believe that African leaders do not voice enough the concerns of ordinary people in Africa. In reference to what happened in Paris where 12 people were killed by gun men, the entire world leaders were out in full swing to offer support to the victims and their families.

This is not the case when hundreds and hundreds of innocent lives are being killed in African. One organisation that is mandated to promote peace and harmony in Africa is African Union. I do not see anything forthcoming except their role in Sudan.

Perhaps this is what happens when we have greedy leaders that set out to protect their interests at the expense of their ordinary citizens that put them in power.