News

Would You Pay £21,000 (6 Million Naira) to Have a Completely Unique Name for Your Child?

BellaNaija.com

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????When Kanye West and Kim Kardashian named their daughter ‘North West’, the world did not know that they were starting yet another trend.

Beyoncé and Jay Z were not too far off with their daughter ‘Blue Ivy’ either.

According to a Swedish company called Erfolgswelle, with only £21,000 you can create an absolutely unique name for your child.

How do they do it?

Well it takes 100 hours and a team of 31 people.

Glamour Magazine UK explains that 13 copywriters come up with an initial list of around 15 names, before this is checked by four historians to confirm that the name has no negative connotations and hasn’t been held by anyone before – EVER. Then twelve translators set to work on ensuring that the name doesn’t translate into anything in another language before two trademark lawyers scour the entire world’s list of names held by registered companies and products names to ensure that the specially-created moniker is actually unique and not already in use.

…all to make sure that your little prince or princess has a name that no-one else in the world has.

The process doesn’t end with the historians and language translators and copywriters and trademark attorneys.

According to Daily Mail, the final process involves a market research on your new baby name. The Swedish company will submit the name to a test group of 780 people to see what they make of it.

Seems like a lot, but for £21,000 they make it worth the hassle.

So – would you spend £21,000 (6 Million Naira) on a unique name for your child?

Source: Daily Mail
Photo Credit: Hongqi Zhang (aka Michael Zhang) |

1. divaMe

January 27, 2015 at 4:53 am

Yes… shebi thats what you wanna hear? welldone!

2. Olinki

January 27, 2015 at 4:59 am

Waiting for the person that will name their baby, gboza! #justsaying

3. ling ling

January 27, 2015 at 5:34 am

Hell Yeah! If I had Alakija or Dangote’s kinda money. Why not? I’ll give it a try!

4. Anon

January 27, 2015 at 5:57 am

Tosh! As if we don’t already have unique names given to us by our parents and now as parents, we have given our kids unique names too. All free! There are so many beautiful names in Nigeria especially in the entire South. I also love names from Benue and Plateau States (Idoma, Tiv, Jukun, Berom, Tarok, Kofyar…)

• missiey

January 27, 2015 at 11:32 am

You stole my comment!
      With over 40 ethno-linguistic groups in plateau state alone, I can, or rather I have created unique names for my kids.who cares if someone else has them? But really how many of u have heard the name kalisiria? Beautiful name from plateau state and there are many more across Naija.
      Whoever deems it necessary is free sha.

• missiey

January 27, 2015 at 11:39 am

Infact I’m doing an intense research across Nigeria to help people who are interested to pick beautiful and meaningful Nigerian names

5. Ditebogo

January 27, 2015 at 6:33 am

Lol, no thank you.
    i am fine with my names Ditebogo = Praises

• Beausacs blog

January 27, 2015 at 3:49 pm

Lovely name, what tribe.

6. nsage

January 27, 2015 at 6:36 am

That money could change the lives of a lot of people, like the extremely poor thal live on less than a dollar a day, its a shame that some use it just to have a name no one else has.

7. Mizzy

January 27, 2015 at 6:56 am

8. gen

January 27, 2015 at 6:58 am

madness gone wild!

9. BN lover

January 27, 2015 at 7:00 am

RUBBISH!!! Money mis-road syndrome

10. Olu

January 27, 2015 at 7:03 am

Too much money. I would rather invest or deposit the money on my baby’s bank account

11. chy

January 27, 2015 at 7:25 am

really.

12. poison ivy

January 27, 2015 at 7:42 am

Which kain question be that BN?
    Won’t even consider it for a hundred thousand naira
    Oyibo people dey craze sha

13. Ruth

January 27, 2015 at 7:46 am

Well, if i hv the money , y not… When you have a baby, you just wanna do anything in the world for dat child, they are so special and precious. Although my kids would also have biblical names.

14. Bleed Blue

January 27, 2015 at 7:56 am

Well, personally, no I won’t. But for them, I see the point.

These people are not just naming their child, they’re creating a brand. There will be the inevitable endorsements and of course their own “line” of clothes, or jewelry or in the future make-up, heck maybe even their own dolls named after them.

So this 21k is clearly an investment expected to yield a significant rate of return on future cash flows 🙂

On another note, BN family, I didn’t sleep well oh, Raid and Mortein don’t work for the mosquitoes in my hood. What else can I use please?

• bey

January 27, 2015 at 9:32 am

Lol @ raid and mortein not working at your hood. I tried Sniper, mosquitoes developed resistance after day 2. *phew*

• desire

January 27, 2015 at 9:44 am

prayer and fasting

• Ada Nnewi

January 27, 2015 at 10:06 am

Omo this mosquito issue…I’M AT MY WIT’S END!!! i WILL USE OLD FASHIONED RAID AND BAYGON THIS NIGHT!!! Affliction needs to stop arising!!!! The mosquito bites on my body are so many now it looks like i have the pox and i’ve been trying not to scratch as i’m too old to be walking around with open mosquito wounds….

• Modella

January 27, 2015 at 10:53 am

Bleed blue gets it. Branding. Investment. That’s all there is to it.

15. BasicPulse

January 27, 2015 at 8:01 am

The perks of being wealthy. I would totally do it. basicpulse.blogspot.com

16. Bvl

January 27, 2015 at 8:01 am

In my dad’s voice…Nonsense !!!!

17. Ralph

January 27, 2015 at 8:23 am

Lol. I guess everyone has a choice. It’s okay to spend the money when you have it.

18. sarah nosa

January 27, 2015 at 8:26 am

Never say Never.As for me,all I know,is dat I alrdy know what I want out of life$i reseve my comment till then.

19. lola

January 27, 2015 at 8:32 am

i would rather give my child a meaningful name in yoruba and invest the 6 million in a trust for my child

20. shayor

January 27, 2015 at 8:34 am

Vanity upon vanity

21. www.eniwealth79.blogspot.com

January 27, 2015 at 8:49 am

Ase!

22. vivian

January 27, 2015 at 8:57 am

when i never dey mad..wetin happen to names like “nkemakonam’ or “obiageli’ or ‘munachimso”..or any other beautiful names..whats up with this madness..after dem go bear the special name finish, dem go still attend schools with other kids with regular names, abi dem wan customize their own private schools for them too?
    mtchewwwwwwwwwwwwww

23. Friday's Other Child

January 27, 2015 at 8:57 am

Do they then copyright the name on your behalf? I have to admit I was recently slighted when I came across someone with not only my first name, but my surname too! If I had it, i’d pay it.

24. bruno

January 27, 2015 at 9:04 am

kim kardashian and kanye west were not the first celebs to start naming their kid weird names. it had always been a trend in hollyweird. so pls they didn’t start a trend.

I don’t understand the obsession with these two on this blog. kanye alway looks miserable when his with kim.

25. LotusFlower

January 27, 2015 at 9:18 am

How can this company claim to be able to find ALL people with a particular name. To be able to do so requires accurate census data (particularly births and deaths) for all countries. Who are they kidding? All those people are not working hard to ensure your child’s name is unique. It is probably 3 people at most. This sounds like a legal scam.

• cleo

January 27, 2015 at 11:45 am

God bless for that comment LotusFlower.
      There over 1000 ethnic groups in Nigeria with different names. Some are not even on google map yet.Let them be deceving themselves. kpangolo

26. strides

January 27, 2015 at 9:23 am

Nikini?i know my baby is worth the universe buh wat ever happened to “looking up to the hills from whence my help CAME from?”derz a reason d names'”DANIEL” or “JOSEPH” or “MOSES” has a million and one people bearing them abi………………..ryt?*pensive*

• Dee

January 27, 2015 at 10:48 am

What the heck is “buh”?!!!

“derz” “ryt” … What malady is this?

May your baby who’s worth the universe not suffer from spelling complacency. Amen.

27. Donald

January 27, 2015 at 9:28 am

I cant do this o, its too expensive!!

28. nawah

January 27, 2015 at 9:42 am

God forbid o!!!!!…haba,whch money will sumbudy naw use to send d child to skul…+ ga

29. Brown

January 27, 2015 at 9:54 am

So for N6m, they still named their pickin after cardinal point?

30. Ada Nnewi

January 27, 2015 at 10:08 am

On this name Issue… “I am immensely and wonderfully blessed above every living thing”…..I don’t think anyone has the above name….Before you people give me side eye, some people have english phrases as names, if you don’t believe me go to winners during a baby dedication service….

• Edu

January 27, 2015 at 4:20 pm

I tell you!!!

31. oj

January 27, 2015 at 12:31 pm

maybe I would do that if I had the combined assets of the 20 richest people in the world.

32. mrs chidukane

January 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm

If I had Bill Gate money, I would totally do it. For my child I searched and searched just to see aa boy in asoebi bella with the same name! It was a shock, Looool. Its all good though

• mrs chidukane

January 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm

*a boy

33. MisLu

January 27, 2015 at 12:48 pm

Iranu! When people are dying of hunger all around the world. Would the name determine the destiny of the child? Mtchew. Having alot of money isn’t even an excuse. Bill Gates still lives a relatively simple life. So wetin…..

34. niola

January 27, 2015 at 12:51 pm

Ok naa. so im sure my son is the only one with his name, abeg una contact me for unique names and i will only charge you 1000 pounds, and if you want oluwa, chi, chukwu infused in the same, i too im capable…infact im preaching to the wrong crowd let me send message to dem beyonce and co, i go tell dem say, ‘ for unique exotic names with an ethnic infusion, it will bridge that lost history you are so seeking for’

35. ATL's finest

January 27, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Say who die? Six kini ???? Mtchew.. Btw, who wanna name their kids North???? I don’t get it.. Atkeast blue Ivy has got a meaning to it from her parents, but I never heard d reason behind N.west names.. Hmmm I ok and blessed with my meaningful names Amen

36. dedun

January 27, 2015 at 7:23 pm

u will now pay 6million only for a waka pass neighbor to like the name and give her child. lmao abeg someone should pay i will get inspiration from the person.

deduncakes.com

37. tiffany

January 27, 2015 at 11:09 pm

Why will anyone dignify this ridiculous nonsense with a comment. [email protected] You and your. Everytime dumb and crappy observations. For Gods sakes kanye is taken. Sorry for your loss. Look else where for another shit h… To poke abi for yours to be poked. Whichever way you people do it. moreover the dude is completely straight as the man that f..ked your mum to produce a very offensive element like you. Always trying too hard to put kim down. Bella naija u must post my comment. Cos u always post brunos uncountable attrocious comments. Say no to discrimination.