News

Aisha Buhari Speaks on her Career as an Esthetician, Her Husband’s Humorous Side, Being a Potential First Lady & More in ThisDay Style Interview

BellaNaija.com

Mrs-Aisha-Buhari

THISDAY Style recently interviewed Aisha Buhari, the only wife of APC presidential candidate Muhammadu Buhari.

During the interview, she revealed information about herself and her husband that a lot of people may not know. For instance, the fact that she is a professional esthetician and the humorous side of her husband’s personality that the public rarely gets to see.

She also speaks on Buhari’s advocacy for women’s education, and potentially becoming the First Lady of Nigeria.

Here are some excerpts from the interview:

On her twenty five-year marriage to Buhari and what she finds most endearing about him
I have been married to Gen. Muhammadu Buhari for twenty five years now and we are blessed with children and a grandchild.

My husband is a family-oriented person. He has very close relationships with his children, grandchild, and entire members of the family. He is very caring and protective of us.

On ensuring he gets enough rest during the current busy campaign season
Getting a busy person like my husband with so many demands and responsibilities to rest is a herculean task, particularly in this political period. His schedule is always so tight; being in one meeting or the other at home or in the office.

However, I ensure he takes at least one hour thirty minutes uninterrupted siesta anytime he is home between 5-6:30 p.m.

On something about her husband the public doesn’t know
Gen. Muhammadu Buhari is a very humorous person and enjoys listening to comic stories. Whenever he cracks jokes you will laugh till you shed tears.

He also likes taking people by surprise.

On why she isn’t really in the spotlight as most people would expect her to be
Actually, I’m a very busy person but doing my things quietly. I keep to my profession as an esthetician, managing my spa and beauty institute both in Kaduna and Abuja. I also personally perform some advanced facial treatments like mesotherapy, gold facial and application of TCA etc. I have a number of documentations on my experience in this area including writing a book titled “The Essentials of Beauty Therapy.” Also, I have been busy with my studies, doing one programme or the other. Before my Master’s Degree in International Affairs & Strategic Studies from Nigerian Defense Academy (NDA), I also obtained a Diploma in Beauty Therapy both in the United Kingdom.

On how she plans to help her husband win more female votes
As we all know, Nigerian women have come of age and giving them such opportunity like education will enable them excel. An educated woman holds the key to her future, her family, and the society. My husband believes in women’s education. He encouraged me to pursue my educational goals. I’m sure Nigerian women know the truth that he is a gender sensitive leader and will vote for him against all the political propaganda to discredit him. He insisted during his time as Head of State, that every council should have a female representative.

On whether she is prepared for the spotlight that comes with being the First Lady if her husband is elected as president
I don’t think there is need for any special preparation to be in the spotlight as wife of the president, because I will be like any other woman. However, for the kind of preparation you are referring to, having been married to a former president for over 25 years, and knowing his principles and what he believes as an honest and upright person, I will only pursue issues that will promote the welfare of the masses.

On whether she intends to do things differently if she becomes the First Lady
Most of the programmes implemented by Nigerian first ladies are based on humanitarian circumstances and are morally motivating to serve people. I may not come up with any major programme, rather; I will support many brilliant humanitarian ongoing efforts by several organizations. There are salient issues that will need support for those championing these causes. On that note, I will support any group with such genuine causes.

On why Nigerians should vote for Buhari
The records of his achievements in all the positions he occupied are there, based on honesty, transparency, dedication, and commitment to the progress of Nigeria. The situation we find ourselves now requires a courageous person like him to salvage our nation.

The full interview can be found in the Sunday, February 15, 2015 edition of THISDAY Style.

1. Gloria

February 19, 2015 at 8:11 am

this is how First Ladies should articulate their thoughts. Brillant

2. le coco

February 19, 2015 at 8:18 am

This woman is soo regal… well spoken.. the kind of first lady we need

3. Lola

February 19, 2015 at 8:29 am

I am out of words. Her look is encouraging. The interview is very insighting. She cracked me up when she said her husband cracks the funniest joke. With flawless skin like this…thisday should have asked her some beauty/skin care routine. I doubt if we will regret a first lady like this. Mama Peace will take forever to answer these questions. Buhari is the change. At least for once let’s have a change from the beast to beauty, from drain to brain. From Patience to Aisha. #SaiBuhari/osinbajo/

• Tomi

February 22, 2015 at 8:44 pm

God have mercy. This woman finished Patience o. Haba. This is to much my sister.

4. titi

February 19, 2015 at 8:33 am

Thank God! At least she can speak clear and correct english…beautiful woman. #ilikeheralready#

5. mrs chidukane

February 19, 2015 at 8:52 am

Good answers.

6. amaa

February 19, 2015 at 8:59 am

Question
    are you the only wife of Buhari If yes how wives does he have

What will you do about the child bride who mistakenly poisoned her husband and friends and is facing 1st degree murder charge.

Does you husband support Sharia law for none Muslims.

what will your husband do to people like Yerima that marry children and claim it is his religious right
    What will you do about the child right act that the whole north has refuse to sign into law
    claiming it is against Islam.

BN kindly send this questions too the Buhari camp and tell him that if he can answer all this question truthfully I might consider voting for the change he is shouting for.

• rocky

February 19, 2015 at 9:26 am

well spoken

• bbbbnn

February 19, 2015 at 9:29 am

What did mama peace do as the current first lady?

• RO2

February 19, 2015 at 9:40 am

AMAA question for you too ” are the questions you asked for Buhari or the his wife. Mind you this woman is not contesting but she can influence her husband decision like every other first Lady’s.
      Just for Clarification. Thanks

• Bee

February 19, 2015 at 9:49 am

Didn’t you just read at the beginning that she is the only wife?

• prince

February 19, 2015 at 11:02 am

Mr ITK, you are one of the problem we have in this country. your GEJ with his one and only ‘mama peace’, this is where they have saddled out boat to, did you even read the interview, OLODO OSHI.

7. Taiwo

February 19, 2015 at 9:11 am

I’m even more impressed!!

8. DAME

February 19, 2015 at 9:15 am

SAI MAMA SAI BABA SAI BUHARI

9. Beeeee

February 19, 2015 at 10:20 am

So are we now saying that people who cannot speak correct English do not have a right to be First Lady? With the amount of bad grammar that has been displayed on Bella Naija especially this election period, let’s say for example that one your husband’s has the chance to be a governor or president, then he should dump you for someone that speaks better English na….abeg. If Jonathan had dumped his wife for a more polished woman when he rose to power, we would be the same people here shouting for “women’s rights”. Believe it or not, there are people that relate to Mrs Jonathan and understand her when she speaks.

10. truenigerian

February 19, 2015 at 10:25 am

Family man indeed!!! Story for the gods!

Question. What did the family man do when his first wife’s child was sick and Babangida assisted money to take the child to the hospital????

Ans .She was divorced! Pure intolerance!!

Question What did the family man do when he lost election?
    Ans . Family man said dog and baboon will be soaked in blood.

Question- What did the family man do when the corpers NYSC members who were killed due to the violence he spat?

Ans-Family man did not apologise to the parents o the slain NYSC members, nor did family man apologise to the nation.

Family man my foot!

Family man who never smiles in the public -may be it is when he is with his wife in the bedroom.

Family man cares about girl child education? may be for Zhara and not the girl bombers.

Family man sentenced a single woman parent to death by firing squad?

If Jonathan marries a second wife like Buhari did -should i tell you that GEJ will marry a queen?

Besides don’t you know that even if an ugly gal tie a veil she will look pretty or is it not the only eyes we see?

Square faces are made oval courtesy of veil and hijab

Aunty bella next!

• Takeseveralseats

February 19, 2015 at 11:11 am

Bile Spew

• CONGLOMERATE

February 19, 2015 at 11:32 am

Your Ignorance is not bliss though! Why do you GEJite’s get agitated, riled, angry and feel the need to do all this copy and paste that won’t hold two drops of water whenever there’s news about opposition? The essence and bane of democracy is to have democratically setup parties for various reasons, whereby the goal is to slug it out at the election, that will be totally decided by the electorates. YOUR GEJ has become so unpopular, the only materials available for campaigns are irrelevant and crass write-ups, no achievements. It even gets more ridiculous to read/hear y’all refer to GEJ has the best president Nigeria has had so far….I’m like, most of you need mental evaluation.

• mmmmmh

February 19, 2015 at 11:43 am

Fake Nigerian. Hahaha, u are full of hate. Go and hug transformer

• ada nnewi

February 19, 2015 at 12:49 pm

LMAO @ Fake Nigerian!…She’s a beautiful and intelligent woman…

• niola

February 19, 2015 at 2:59 pm

Fake Nigerian. Stop hitting the like button numerous times. What are you saying please, GEJ has children from other women and those women aint named ‘Patience’.Not to mention his controversial relationship with Stella and Madam Petroleum . Everything you wrote doesn’t make sense wanted to respond to you one by one but just came to the conclusion that where would I start from with such a clueless person at the other end. Charity begins at home, if Buhari’s wife and girl child ‘ZAHRA’are educated, then you must admit that the sky is the limit for girl child education. Everything you listed just pushes us closer to the truth that Buhari is indeed a man of integrity and wont stand for GEJ’s corrupt legacy..GMB Nigeria awaits you ojare

• Dolly

February 19, 2015 at 3:00 pm

SMH……

11. Missy J

February 19, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I loved it when she said her husband encouraged her to pursue her education.
    Lol now y’all know that some people can relate to Mama Peace but you guys don’t think that some people can relate to Buhari when he speaks and you all will be screaming ‘illiterate’. (I shouldn’t be comparing Mama Peace to Buhari sef) . Even speaking of Mama Peace being not polished and so, this woman claimed to go to school. Just take your time and peep into her CV and the number of accolades she has in education alone is scary. Some times I ask how she got them? Cause I’m afraid she doesn’t merit them.

12. fisayo

February 19, 2015 at 12:50 pm

If any one support Jonathan,it is that you have been paid, you have copied and pasted, you need mental evaluation. Hatred and political intolerance.

Even people who failed neco have called Jonathan “clueless” and i say it is because Jonathan is very humble and grossly tolerant .

You guys packaged rotten fish,chilled it hard,displayed it aesthetically and branded it CHANGE. Why are you sad that we have managed to open the product and have seen the rot?

Jonathan may not be heavens!
    but certainly Buhari will take us 40 years behind.

• ada nnewi

February 19, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Please explain how buhari will take us 40 years behind, if he comes into power today and use facts…

• niola

February 19, 2015 at 3:03 pm

Madam we are not looking for a pastor or a monk for a president hence your description of Jonathan as humble and grossly tolerant wotn fly here. We need a leader who is capable, assertive, discipline, incorruptible, my dear the list is endless….and please really explain your 40 years back statement. That Nigerians will be disciplined? I laugh oooo, this jungle, animal farm called Nigeria needs to be browbeaten into a sane disciplined nation….

• Steve

February 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Can you Gejites not be corrupt like your boss and stop hitting the like button many times on your own comment? Those likes on your comments won’t get him any vote. I would think some of you intelligent people trying to sell an incompetent leader would have a better understanding of how things are done.

13. Florence

February 19, 2015 at 3:13 pm

This is the type of first lady I want! Simple and short! Educated and eloquent!

14. Chinma Eke

February 19, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Dunno o! Not yet married, but I find something wrong with the picture she painted of the cozy, family man; General Mohammadu Buhari. I mean, If I were referring to my loving husband of 25 years, he wont be General bla bla bla to me.
    Michelle Obama doesn’t call her husband Mr President, the late Stella Obasanjo didn’t call the ex-president General either. I feel that alone negates the supposed closeness, especially as he’s been retired for a while.

• kaka

February 19, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Why not.. I call my husband captain.. and we are quite close not everybody is into baby, boo, le boo abi all these new terminologies abeg stop dissecting what is not …

15. ConcernedNigerian

February 19, 2015 at 4:11 pm

For all Buharites that think its hip to oppress and call names to people that support GEJ and are quick to question how they their comments liked: i say do not fret cos we know not what the elections hold. Over a long period people that are all for change has bambozooed the ones that think otherwise on social media.. Election is not worn on the internet. There is a large number on Nigerians that have no business with the internet and are still part of the electorate.
    Tolerance is the key, we need to start practicing it now so that the events of 2011 post election violence dont come calling again.

16. bola

February 19, 2015 at 4:53 pm

I was into Buhari and then realized that i was being prejudiced may be cos i am from the west.

I also realized that the igbos we call partisan where the ones who supported Obasanjo even when we Yorubas did not give him our votes. They also supported Yaradua so you can’t really call them bigots.

I feel Buhari belongs to the past so much so that we do not want him as his memory is that of a divided Nigeria and too many controversy.

Why didn’t we vote him in the previous 3 elections that he lost?

This whole renewed Buhari that is being presented to us is a HOAX.

GEJ just need to tackle corruption and we are home and dry.

On the other hand i dont trust buhari who hardly remember names INEC, etc and he clearly doesn’t know how the economy operates save his War against indiscipline. He is too rigid and truly represent the past. How can he say he want to stablise oil price.

If you listen to him,he does not discuss the economy but keep hammering on corruption and every question you ask him he responds with corruption.

WAI alone cant lead us anywhere as the economic achievements we have made with Jonathan is commendable and need to be consummated.

It is my opinion and that is why i stand for Dr Jonathan.

• Steve

February 19, 2015 at 6:16 pm

“Economic Achieverment we have made with Jonathan”. Does being Nigerian come with delusion? I ask cos I don’t understand my country men anymore…

17. sophie sarah

February 19, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Brilliant! Well spoken

18. jwezee

February 19, 2015 at 8:45 pm

This interview looks like she has something to prove! And that just seems wrong…Gen Buhari isn’t so well spoken himself.( so let mama Peace be)
    she also stated his sense of humor(who cares, caus u know he never smiles ) .find that strange …GOD Bless Nigeria

19. Dee

February 21, 2015 at 9:33 pm

From reading all these comments,I must say. We’re on a long thing” it seems like we aren’t even certain of what we truly want for our country.smh

20. annie

February 22, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Oh well I read every comment here and some got me laughing, But as a matter of curiosity buhari says he wants to tackle corruption but seriously does it have to be through been a president?? If he really has the interest of the country at heart why can’t he pledge commitment to the present government and avail himself to work under the present administration to tackle corruption. People should team up to fight what they believe in and not making a mess out of someone else’s effort. This same buhari four years ago said he would make Nigeria ungovernable if he doesn’t win. Is it about violence?? Sometimes I read the dailies and just smh. A whole lot of writings and insults hurled at GEJ, the guy still remain calm. During the days of OBJ when Idriss abdulkareem sang Nigeria jaga jaga no be exile baba send eedris go? GEJ is the true definition of democracy. When b.h wanted to arms down sometime ago, GMB was mentioned as one of those to meet with these b.h at Saudi Arabia. I stay in the north and seriously who says northerners don’t go to school?? The late ahmad that started the b.h thingy 2009 was a degree holder,did he not tear his cert? B.h started as a religious thingy, a fight to preserve their religion and it’s moderation as they said, but now simply because of opposition some people started fuelling and polluting it into what it is today political violence.
    Maman Zahra said he is humorous well that’s their family cup of horlicks.
    Vote whoever you like, but I keep asking is it just 4years GMB needs to fight corruption?? After that what next?

21. Isi

March 16, 2015 at 12:54 am

I dont care who will be the next president of Nigeria, all will need is president that will bring home our citizens who are in darkness , wasting their skills abroad and cannot come back because they have no money and feel they cant fit in again. Make una help us oooo!! We will bring our skills home and Nigeria go better . They dont practice what they preach!!

22. igho promise

March 20, 2015 at 2:33 pm

I will vote for GEJ,I will advice don’t cast ur vote on someone who will not win.I dnt vote for losers.GEj might nt b the messiah we are looking for bt certainly not buhari.he will never win