Relationships

‘He is more Nigerian than I am’ – Singer, Ashionye Shares the Love Story of her & Husband Carl Raccah

BellaNaija.com

AshionyePopular actress , producer and singer Ashionye Raccah shared the exciting news that she and her husband Carl were expecting their second child a few weeks ago (click here if you missed it) and in an interesting chat with Punch Newspaper she talks about their love story.

The couple, who got married in 2009, shared their love story, qualities they admire in each other, how they met, how he proposed and so much more.

Read excerpts from their interview below.

On love at first sight: I was astonished at how long his hair was; the length reached his waist. I wondered how a man could have such gorgeous hair. I was first of all attracted to his hair before I even took note of his good looks. We were there for work and along the line we became friends. We became friends because we had a lot of shared interests. It just happened and by the end of that year, we began to date.

On how long they dated: We have known each other for 15 years but we have been married for six years. We dated for eight years even though we broke off the relationship at some point. We came back together and decided to get married.

On how he proposed: I found the ring hidden in his socks which was placed somewhere in his wardrobe. Although I had my things at his place, I didn’t see the engagement coming. When I showed him the ring, he said, “you ruined the surprise,’’ and I told him to go ahead and propose.

On his race and nationality: I do not even see his skin colour because he is just like you and I. I did not know he knew so much about Nigeria. He is more Nigerian than I am.

Carl added: I am a little different from most white-skinned people who live in Nigeria because I was born and raised in Kano State. I speak Hausa fluently and I understand the northern culture. Ironically, the first time I encountered racism was while I was schooling in England because I am brown and not white. I am not what you would call a white man or expatriate. What matters is who is you are because my wife and I do not judge you by your colour or religion.

You can read up the full feature here.

Photo Credit: Instagram/ashionye

1. le coco

March 30, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Im happy for them.. u n ur hubby r cute… let the haters drink bleach

2. dem

March 30, 2015 at 4:26 pm

Really sorry for all this girls running after expatriates , if u failed to know or find out , all these expatriate have a fully functioning family where they are from ,it is when you have 2 or 4kids , nor when they die , then you will accept your faith. Return them to their children

• Bruness

March 30, 2015 at 4:51 pm

@ dem When they marry white you say they’re running after expatriates, When they marry older men you say it’s because of money, When they marry Ghana you say she should have married Nigerian. Give them a f…….g break. If a young guy can’t love you right and an older guy can go for it, if a whitey, Indian, Ghana or German guy treats and respects you better than a Nigerian guy would go for it. Like I said before if a decent and nice girl is married to any one other than a young Nigerian shame on them guys for letting a good one go. Take a good look @ oluchi onweagba does she look like she misses being married to a Nigerian. Ashionye and her husband have known themselves longer than you’ve known your 3 boyfriends soo leave her be and wait on your dozen boyfriends to put a ring on it.

• Ama

March 30, 2015 at 5:08 pm

U just shut up…. I know d likes of u dull bruness or whatever u call yourself. Just shut up & leave people who ve found love undermining d age or skin colour to be. Go & keep begging & toiling for those young boys who would keep using u till u resolve to juju. Rubbish.. #Godwin# love knows no limit happy for who ever has found in both in d young or old, white or black.

• Bruness

March 30, 2015 at 7:40 pm

@ Ama did you just come at me? Anyways i understand where you’re coming from, but I need you to read shine shine shine’s comment if you can comprehend it then do yourself a big favor and get a tutor if you can’t please please join the kiddies and watch #Sesame Street#

• diamond

March 30, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Ama, you threw shades at the wrong person, if you read bruness comment critically, you’ll see you both are on the same side.

3. ME

March 30, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Did you read at all… He was born and raised in Kano, Nigeria. you nor get eye?? You married an expatriate and it didn’t work for you. Sorry boo

4. sum1special

March 30, 2015 at 4:38 pm

Ignorant much @dem

• ShineShineShine

March 30, 2015 at 6:31 pm

@sum1special. Pls. Add @Ama to the mumu group. F9 WASCE English/reading/comprehension!

5. poison ivy

March 30, 2015 at 5:52 pm

You guys,take it easy with @dem. No bi him fault because when you’re filled with so much hatred, its hard to applaud God’s gift.

6. Dayo Sage

March 30, 2015 at 6:56 pm

I find it very hard to relate to this… *whistling

7. @edDREAMZ

March 30, 2015 at 7:09 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    I wish them all the best though…..
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

8. Jonz

March 30, 2015 at 7:58 pm

Imagine an Oyimbo man/woman telling the world their Dudu partner is more European than them, on top love.

Smh

• Ij Mia

March 30, 2015 at 8:42 pm

Yes it happens. Open your eyes and stop bring racist.

• Jonz

March 31, 2015 at 3:23 am

Story story

• gia

March 31, 2015 at 11:18 am

“Yes it happens. ”

LOL
      For wie?

9. chi-e-z

March 30, 2015 at 8:18 pm

” Don’t get it twisted, Love is a beautiful thing” 😀

10. Bennie Errick

March 31, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Wishing you guys all the best

11. chummy

May 24, 2015 at 10:35 am

wao! this is lovely,God bless ur home