Events

First Photos! Burna Boy, M.I, Falz, Waje, Efya, Bez & More Perform at the Star-Studded Gidi Culture Festival

The 2015 edition of the Gidi Culture Festival held all day yesterday, Saturday 4th of April, at the Eko Atlantic and it was quite the event as loads of stars stepped out for the event.

There were performances from Burna Boy, M.I, Falz, Waje, Efya, Bez, Awilo Longomba, Lola Rae, Vector, Skales, Victoria Kimani, Aramide, Ebisan and many more.

Check out the fab photos of the performances!

Victoria Kimani

Burna Boy

Burna Boy

Burna Boy

Photo Credit: Michael Tubes Photography

1. Miss Anonymous

April 5, 2015 at 2:38 pm

Mschw! That’s why they kept people waiting till almost midnight before starting!

• Berry Dakara

April 5, 2015 at 10:50 pm

I was silly enough to think that by 4pm some performances would have started, since the flyers said start time was 12pm. I eventually left at 7:30pm when it was clear how late they’d start. People that stayed seemed to have fun sha.

*note to organizers* Next year, please publish an event timetable so we know what time artists will perform.

• Tosin

April 6, 2015 at 9:12 am

AMEN TO THAT!
      AMEN, HALLELUYAH!
      I saw a few different announcements, one said from twelve (I guess noon), and one said till dawn, so I went as late as I could 🙂 I could have gone even later. Looool.

2. @edDREAMZ

April 5, 2015 at 2:43 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Lagos have fun….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. carina

April 5, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Does Kelly not handsome still sing? Phew! Love Lola rae. They all had fun.

• Tosin

April 6, 2015 at 9:10 am

he was really good. i think his songs were from a long time ago, but the audience loved and he loved back, BIG TIME.

4. miss.tobi

April 5, 2015 at 5:19 pm

lol @Carina I wonder too o does he still exist sef

5. Adeleye Oluwatosin

April 5, 2015 at 10:52 pm

Love me some burna…boi

6. Bobo

April 5, 2015 at 11:15 pm

STUPID A** SHOW HISS

7. Tosin

April 6, 2015 at 9:09 am

honestly, awesome, if somehow one could know what to expect. so i swung by 7ish and the big stage started 9:30ish. lots and lots of acts, lots of pauses in between :-/

then again, i met people who came fitted to overnight at the gig and have the time of their lives, so it was perfect in that way I guess.

just say what you are beforehand, y’know? I would do this again in a heartbeat.

Details, for organizers:

Before the big stage, there was this mini-stage that had a lot of good less-well-known acts, but when the sun set altogether and the lighting was behind, not over, the mini-stage, only a few performers could overcome that and be seen, let alone enjoyed, in spite of.

on the big stage, first act Isaac Geralds – pure charm, pure love, pure talent. mmua.
    i really loved the diversity of the performances. Bez, Venus Bushfires, I’m blanking but they were many and they were diverse styles.
    i’m sort of old and not a hanger-outer, so maybe when all the gaps and pauses happened, i’m like get to the point looool. don’t listen to me.
    loved the Congolese comedian, he must have come back out after the first time, but by then i wasn’t really there.
    Ehiz is a natural, and the hosts were cool. The DJ had the whole history of popular music down pat, but once the show starts I would rather fire the DJ and just have good music i.e. the show. Thank you.

i almost got my ass beaten up lol. some random guys were terrorizing me with cigarette smoke, and on instinct i grabbed one of them’s shoulder like what the hell (I really really reaalllly hate cigarette smoke badly) and well, luckily the people around quickly told his ugly face sorry and shielded me lol.

we love live music!
    (Brymo next week is going to be amazing! But the crowd, I’m worried, because Temi Dollface last year was awesome and packed. Can mofos stop going so late to things, and can mofos stop waiting to pack the audience before starting their things? Thank you. I remember my silly ass going like 3mins late to the opera, if you see the rubbish treatment and the rubbish room I had to wait in – to watch on a screen – then at intermission (half-time) we could finally go to our seats. That’s what happens when I carry my naija behaviour elsewhere lol. And in secondary school in Lagos in the corrupt nineties, how our Principal became the one that would start our events on time and let Minister whoever join us halfway whenever he/she decides to finally arrive ‘unavoidably late’… PLEASE, BELLANAIJA, everybody, don’t advertise Brymo next week thank you. I don’t want noise. Can’t fit more than 100 people in there, so….)

speaking of noise, yeah, i often had to leave the area because of the excessive volume on the speakers. this is one advantage of the outdoor event, that you can run away when they do that. Indoors, you’re stuck. they will collect your money, subject you to heart-thumping noise, bone-freezing cold, and an eternal wait while waiters harass you for not being VIP, and refuse to even consider starting the show even two hours after…I would just leave.
    Thinking back, that was one of the biggest problems of the night – that I often had to run far away from the noise, and possibly return when sanity returned. No wonder I got tired. (Just who are they doing the noise thing for, because a couple of other people were uncomfortable too. Shih, I’ve seen the same at a funeral too, I had to go wait outside. So undignifying to have such noise levels at someone’s funeral reception. So whack of the organizer – not family, the event place manager – to basically tell me that I can’t be going to public events telling people what to do. Yeah, idiot. When people are running away from the seats, when people are almost crying from the noise. Rubbish. Thank GOD, thank you Jesus, that I’m not homeless. I can stay in my house and provided my neighbour’s gen stays dead the way I pray it would forever be, I can have some peace. )

See why I don’t go out? Except when it’s like a Jesse Jagz concert or sth 🙂

Fireworks were a great idea, but a little too close – some soot fell in a presenter’s eye even, i saw him trying to pretend nothing happened 🙂
    i went for SDC, love them 🙂 by the time they came up, i was no longer anywhere near the stage mah, but heard the SDC Ewele call and had to answer quick quick.
    Falz remains a big fool! 😀 Love the shoes loooool.

i must have missed the whole second half…left before 3am.

The whole idea of a whole day on the beach minus actual ocean , followed by an evening show or overnight show is a nice one. just hep with timing and expectations a bit if you can. And KEEP DOING THESE EVENTS. People will come. Realz.

in other news, was driving about with mum Easter Sunday evening (again, I’m pretty much never out, and especially not after sunset) and saw there were again gigs happening at former BarBeach, and at the big park (Muri Okunola), and traffic on Adetokunbo Ademola from people going to see AY comedy, and sold-out chaos at MUSON for ppl going to watch Saro the Musical…
    This is great.

Keep the shows coming. I would do this again. You guys will get better with repetition. And well done, lots of little details that were nicely and cleverly done, that I noticed.

(Was that 1000 words?) Somebody, get me a job looool.

• Berry Dakara

April 6, 2015 at 4:20 pm

Looooooooool, review of life!!!!! It’s such a shame I had to leave early. Well I know better for next year.

Don’t get me started on Saro. Second time i’m missing out. I’m sooooo freaking annoyed!

• Tosin

April 6, 2015 at 7:09 pm

awww

8. Http://xplorenollywood.blogspot.com

April 6, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Now that’s what I can an epistle… Well done, I can see you enjoyed some aspects and didn’t enjoy some. Can our event organizers just think of is regular folks??? All this talk that the Vvip peeps haven’t turned up and thus the show can’t start is bull crap. Have a heart! On another note, Tosin has given me an idea for my review blog…

9. NEL VALENTINE