Features

Offensive or Simply Experimental! Watch the Video of White Guys Trying Out Nigerian Food

You gotta love the Internet… or maybe not! I found this video where Paul Elia (actor and comedian) chose a group of guys to sample ‘African food’. They were served Fufu, Egusi and Ogbono – Nigerian food.

So what did they think about it?
Definitely looks like clay
It smells like tang to me
It has the consistency of a booger
This is the slimiest thing I’ve ever had
How come these Nigerian foods sound like the names of gay black men
Now I know why only 50 cents a day would feed an African child” – This one really had me fuming! It took a lot to keep watching, just to see where they were going with this.

I’m honestly trying very hard to be objective and not be offended by these videos. I’m trying to think of the times when Nigerians look at Mac & Cheese with derision! Or the times when we give pasta dishes a look of distaste.

So maybe, just maybe these guys are just reacting normally… you know… the way you would, with something that you’re not familiar with.

The Nigerian in me is very passionate about certain elements of my Nigerianness! Maybe if a fellow Nigerian had turned their nose at food from another part of Nigeria, perhaps I won’t have felt as irritated as I did.

Watch the video of White Guys trying out Nigerian Food

Maybe what irked me was the fact that they’re White! So, imagine my blank stare when I watched the next video on the playlist “Black People Try African Food For The First Time”

“It looks like leftover thanksgiving food”

Hold on Bro! Say what now????
Nah! I’m done. I’m gonna let y’all watch it and judge for yourselves!

Black people trying African food!

This stuff has got me so riled up… I just might dropkick the next person who asks me “How do you say ‘Hello’ in African” or some other ignorant stuff of that nature!

Urgh!

1. Anonymous

May 6, 2015 at 12:49 pm

This is highly offensive.

2. June

May 6, 2015 at 12:53 pm

Dumb. Dumb. Dumb. Such ignorance. There is no respect in this world anymore. were they trying to be funny???

• Seriously

May 6, 2015 at 5:18 pm

White people are very close minded, Americans in general to cultural things. Honestly, if I’m not nigerian I might find okra or ogbono soup disgusting. But man, I’m proud to be nigerian. Our food, when made well is very delicious. I’ve tasted cultural foods from different ethnic groups, and I’m not being biased but nigerian food is on the top list of food that tastes great. My mom is American but she doesn’t go a day without eating nigerian dish. She can’t do without it. So, you have to be open and not judge our food by it’s cover.

3. Trudy

May 6, 2015 at 12:54 pm

“just to clarify, Africa is a continent. Shout out to raven symone” lmao

• Shineshineshine

May 6, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Yes o. White Oyinbo, black Oyinbo are dumb like dat. To most of dem Africa is a country. The ones that rile me most are the charities. Con artist all of dem “Donate to starving children in Africa…….” My blood boils any time l see dat on TV. So, shout out to Raven.

4. i no send

May 6, 2015 at 12:54 pm

they should have started them on jollof and egusi ..that ogbono is going to hardcore abeg..lol and why did they not serve them soup with the fufu

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 6, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I tell you, ogbono is some hardcore stuff to be trying non-regular eaters with. Just the way it “draws” is enough to put question marks in the head of the person you’re trying to convince to eat it for the first time. My own strategy is always use the tomato-based dishes like jollof rice (which a friend from Mauritius fondly termed “red rice”), chicken/beef stew, stewed beans and if I must really introduce a soup in the mix, maybe a very mild version of peppersoup. Oh and plantains. Yet to meet a non-Nigerian who said “no” to some yummy fried plantain.

Re the videos, I have to admit that the one with the white boys made me laugh in some parts. They had a lot of ignorant moments but sometimes, they were truly just perplexed and funny. The one with the black chaps on the other hand… some of the opening chat about eating bugs on the boat from Africa rubbed me the wrong way so I may not have been as generous minded to their own antics.

All the reference to Fufu made me worry that they were all trying the real deal – you know, proper fufu made from cassava, the type which smells to high heavens. Was quite relieved to discover it was just pounded yam… if not, there would have been no videos. The room would have just been vacated by all within it.

• Panther

May 6, 2015 at 3:11 pm

This babe why must u always type essay for everything?? Something so simple u go write thesis… Oriegwu.

• Jane Public

May 6, 2015 at 4:22 pm

@Panther, did she force you to read it? See cyber bullying. Does the scroll function on your phone or computer not work very well? Are you being paid by BN to read every comment? Ms S.A always put up comments that spur intelligent discourse. Don’t worry, her comments are not for you, just nicely scroll away and run along will you? Thanks a bunch

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 6, 2015 at 4:41 pm

Very luckily for you, it’s a free online world. One in which I’m free to type my essays and you’re free not to bother reading them. 🙂 Ji sie ike.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

May 6, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Abi you wan begin dey help BN rent space inside comment box? Don’t put ideas in their minds oh (Uche’s account don orobo finish) and “left” me to enjoy the flexibility of typing actual words. If you want to read one liners with abbreviations, Twitter’s always available.

• Blessmyheart

May 6, 2015 at 5:32 pm

@Panther, because she likes to write and many of us like to read what she writes since her writings are usually sensible and interesting. No vex

• Uju

May 6, 2015 at 6:15 pm

I don’t consider ogbono as hardcore. They haven’t even tried bitter leaf soup and they re squeezing face.

• Sim Sim

May 10, 2015 at 10:44 pm

@Ms SA, I have died from laughing here. May I say I am in love with your brain and I couldn’t wait to see your witty reply to Panther. It was even better than I could have thought up on my own.
      Oh my, thank you for never censoring your wit.

5. Morpheus

May 6, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Not watching it. There are class-A jerks in every colour. That’s no surprise.

6. H

May 6, 2015 at 12:56 pm

they should be adventurous.. im sure the average naija citizen can eat about anything he/she is given. but sha I can’t be offended if they don’t like it….#WhoCares#

• Nahum

May 6, 2015 at 2:04 pm

Oh Please!!! You all should stop being hypocritical. I have met many Nigerians that have “eww’d” and “nyama’d” at other people’s food. It is a normal human reaction.

• ssah

May 7, 2015 at 9:25 am

yea nigerians eeeeww some food but in comparison, whites generally are close-minded to cultural things

• Aida

May 6, 2015 at 2:59 pm

same way i couldn’t eat any core Japanese food. was a little worried when i was given bamboo to eat

• Engoz

May 6, 2015 at 3:10 pm

You must be part of the 50 cents per meal crew to believe the average Nigerian can eat anything. A hungry man will eat anything.

• Sim Sim

May 10, 2015 at 10:49 pm

Please don’t be deceived. Nigerians can be extremely close-minded to ‘other’ food for the most part.
      How do you explain the fact that most Nigerians leaving the country for any length of time will carry all sorts of ‘contraband’. PS – I do too. At least, the essentials that are preservable and you may not find out of the country and that don’t smell.

7. iJo

May 6, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Please o, who eats Fufu without soup???? :s

8. Engoz

May 6, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Well I don’t like their foods either, lol. I make the exact faces when I try to eat their food. You need to see me at their parties. They would be asking me, ‘you’re sure you don’t want some more?’ ‘Are you just eating only that?’ ‘You’re trying to maintain your weight?’ One woman gave me thanksgiving dinner at work. It was nice of her, but I trashed it as soon as I got home.

9. 'liya

May 6, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Mehn! The Idiocy of these guys is amazing to me…. hahahaha

10. Taiwo

May 6, 2015 at 1:08 pm

I’m not offended. i have actually heard a lot worse things said about my native food by fellow Nigerians. I’m Ijebu and one of our delicacies is Ikokore. offered some to a friend who happens to be a Delta Indigene and she goes ” Nyamah!!! It looks like baby poopoo” Shoro niyen?!

• Funms

May 6, 2015 at 1:25 pm

@Taiwo, ……….Pele, ma binu

• Taiwo

May 6, 2015 at 2:28 pm

Ose ore, mi o binu mo.

• Bola

May 6, 2015 at 1:34 pm

Thank you, have seen people from other tribes saying Amala looks like poo and the same for different foods. It’s their opinion so they are entitled to it. We say more offensive things to each other everyday as Nigerians

• Muna

May 6, 2015 at 4:00 pm

I have that sentiment for gbegiri…sorry!

• Blessmyheart

May 6, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Gbegiri ehn. I grew up eating gbegiri but now can’t stand the sight of it. Ogbono wasn’t a good choice. I was quite offended though. Asides their reactions, the jokes were tasteless

• molarah

May 7, 2015 at 4:41 am

Lol…as in! As a fellow Ijebu, I also get that a lot. Yeye people, instead of them to taste it, don’t even know that ikokore is like heaven on earth when well cooked.

11. Daniel

May 6, 2015 at 1:08 pm

Hey guys, get to sense of humor…. we will do the-same with real traditional Asian food. People (Americans in particular) are scared of the stuff they don’t understand

12. Bella

May 6, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Ignorance = lack of respect for other cultures!! As if their own food is all that KMT, we wont even talk of their odour! arrant nonsense!!

13. mrs chidukane

May 6, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Hahahahaha! Atoke ooooooh. The Paul Elias guy was just trying so hard to be funny with his offensive jokes . The video wasn’t that bad. There’s even a song we used to sing as little kids that Ogbono looks like booger,hahahaha so it’s nothing new. Also, how do they expect fufu to taste without soup? I’m even surprised they chewed it. I’ve never chewed fufu. You also don’t know how delicious the soup is. Wait oh, why am I making excuses for these grown men? Abeg bye Felicia!

14. @edDREAMZ

May 6, 2015 at 1:37 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Only if i could watch the video though…
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

15. Sultanwais

May 6, 2015 at 1:39 pm

Well I can’t say am totally surprised by their responses, as it was about the same response that I saw a black american woman have when she were offered pounded yam. However, I am a bit disappointed at their level of ignorance and close mindedness, but hey am not an American that’s been fed so much junk food that I don’t understanding anything else.

16. ChiO

May 6, 2015 at 1:40 pm

We need a Naija version, serving the Nigerians Steak Tartare or the Hawaiian Ahi Poke. I would love to see their reaction abeg.

• Naijatalk

May 6, 2015 at 7:26 pm

My dear Nigerians will chop and clean mouth well well. Many factors colonialism notwithstanding introduced the idolization and elevation of anything European or perceived as white and the derogation of all things African, So I will not be surprised to see Nigerians forming “i have an elevated, sophisticated and exposed palate” delighting in whatever european food you present to them.
      On to the videos, I am not gonna lie, i laughed watching the white boys. I thought they were such morons but I wasn’t offended. I watched the black boys and the dirty talk put me off so much, I could barely hear the humor. In some parts, they managed to elicit a half chuckle.
      With food, we have to remember that people have to acquire the taste for any food that falls outside the realms of sweet and salty/savory. A lot of our foods are savory plus smoky/gamy/earthy, in other words very very rich in flavor. If a person grows up with a tastebud conditioned to only sweet and straight up salty; bringing in a combination of several flavors in “one fell swoop” may be asking too much. I am not excusing the fact that “culture superiority” may have played a part in their reactions but I will go easy on them.
      I had to acquire a taste for some of their foods too and if they cared to ask, I was more than happy to share that i thought that particular food was nasty.

17. ShineShineShine

May 6, 2015 at 1:47 pm

No offense really. Once My mum was visiting and when she is around, my friends fall in. I am from Delta but in my circle, my Moms Soups are legendary. She does the meanest Yoruba ewedu, okra, stew same for any other soups. So, on this occassion, I offered my Igbo friend Stew and Okro Yoruba style, the guy just couldn’t bring himself to touch it. Mba he said and refused to eat. I offered Ogbono soup instead while other friends couldn’t wait to tuck in, my Igbo friend? Naaa. Was l offended? Nooooo. I wouldn’t for all the money in the world tuck into custard becos it is yellow and oats becos it is slimy. So, l understand.

• NaijaPikin

May 6, 2015 at 8:53 pm

Well in this case it’s a bit difference. You see in igbo land, soup that is not fully loaded na poor man soup. Instead of bleded okro and stew, you for offer ila asepo (is that the right spelling), he would have finished that one lick plate self.

When it comes to plain soup tho, omo “black soup” is a winner for me….believe it is Edo people that make it.

There’s a difference betweent not liking something and being disrespectful. I’m not a fan of African American soul food. I politely decline when offered, not go on and on about the food being digusting.

18. Rubbish

May 6, 2015 at 1:53 pm

I am not angry that they don’t like the food but it is willful ignorance on their part to homogenize Africa with statements like “50 cents can feed an African child” and “there is no fork in the Africa”, they did not bother to research what they are eating cause they eat the fufu and soup separately, for people who come from a country that claims to be the best at everything, they are pretty stupid. I can’t blame the AAs after-all they call themselves derogatory names like hoe,dog,bitch, the N-word. You don’t have to like our food but don’t homogenize Africa. Plus we are not that better we also stereotype ethnic groups with the food they eat negatively.

19. Janet

May 6, 2015 at 1:54 pm

I’ll admit I watched this and was very offended by the jokes, but then I realised I can be very unforgiving myself when trying new foods from difficult cultures so I was more accepting of their reservations. the video is still stupid nonetheless.

20. ramat

May 6, 2015 at 2:00 pm

Am I terrible for laughing so hard at this? Lol. They’re just being ignorant jor. I actually said worse the first time i tasted the gwaris’ kandolo dish in boarding school.

21. Abeeeee

May 6, 2015 at 2:08 pm

I am Nigerian and i live in Nigeria but i’m not a fan of Ogbono, you cant have a love at first sight/bite relationship with Ogbono it has to grow on you. I also hate snails and akpu but i loooove every other Nigerian food.

22. Jane Public

May 6, 2015 at 2:15 pm

May I refer them to http://www.dooneyskitchen.com? That will shut these idiots up one time. Or see the Efo Riro she posted on Instagram. Whomever cooked that Egusi soup did a terrible job. It looked nasty to me and I am Nigerian, the ogbono looked even worse. Another thing is, who gave these fools our food to diss. Obviously someone must have cooked this for them, so I don’t understand how you will give people your own food to trash talk.. The only excuse I can think of for this foolishness is if they went to a Nigerian restaurant to buy this, and for that, most of them cook crappy food anyways, so I won’t be surprised if all they got exposed to is crap. I wasn’t even that offended, except for the ignorant statements like no fork in Africa, or 50 cents a day to feed a child. REALLY????? The stupid things people record. I would like to see them try this with Arabic food. Africa is always the easy target to take potshots at.

• Jane Public

May 6, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Arabian or middle eastern food. Sorry, was too annoyed to type the correct thing

• Bleed Blue

May 6, 2015 at 5:03 pm

Meeeeeyn Jane Public! Dunni is the very life changer! Sometimes when I look at her Instagram posts, I just want to pack my kaya and move to Essex. Babe is GIFTED!

And by the way, good rejoinder to the person sulking about the length of Mz S.A’s comments. You saved me typing pretty much the same response.

How’s bambina doing? Are you almost there? I wish we could have a BN-ers bridal shower for you….but alas… 🙁

• Jane Public

May 7, 2015 at 9:15 am

Almost there, home stretch now. Le Boo is finally leaning towards Savannah. I shall use Dunni to connect us somehow. Thanks for asking

• Leave this matter

May 7, 2015 at 10:44 am

I beg leave Dooney out of this matter. Na only puff puff she sabi fry wey you go fit eat. Soup fine for foto and being edible na two different things. Becos, l know!

• Ogo

August 19, 2015 at 11:05 am

True talk jare. I prefer matse of matsecooks recipes better. That babe can cook!!!

23. tunmi

May 6, 2015 at 2:16 pm

So someone did the laborious job of preparing these foods abi? It’d their own wahala sha, just don’t homogenize Africa. And the 50cents thing, kindly jump off lekki bridge

24. C'est moi

May 6, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I’m literally roaring with laugher on the bus. People looking at me like don’t be selfish share the joke darl.
    Not offended at all, it’s like taking the piss out of bus trucker trials on ‘I’m a celebrity get me out of here’ which is actual food for some localities. Lighten up folks it’s hilarious, fufu and obono sound like gay nigerian names looool. didn’t someone tell the you don’t eat fufu on its own like that. Dead

• BlueEyed

May 6, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I am not offended too, I found part of it quite humorous. I went to university with other International students and we had some particular events organized for the African,Asian and middle eastern students and different countries would bring their own cultural dishes, Trust me some of the reactions there were the same as these guys. I personally am not afraid to try new things and out of respect I always say nice things but honestly some of those Asian, middle eastern and even other African dishes were not it at all. lol

25. Naa

May 6, 2015 at 2:25 pm

Fufu is a Ghanaian dish.

• emma

May 6, 2015 at 5:27 pm

Nigerians eat a type of “swallow” that is called fufu, but its made differently from the Ghanaian fufu, and that what they were eating in the video.

• The Kinkster

May 6, 2015 at 8:29 pm

There are different types of “Fufu”, eaten in Nigeria, Ghana, Ivory Coast and most other West African countries, all of varying composition. Its a generic term describing “Swallow type” food in several tribes across the region and far afield, so definitely does not refer to the Ghanaian dish only.

In this particular video looks like they were eating Pounded Yam.

26. pipi

May 6, 2015 at 2:26 pm

The video is not offensive jor!

27. Jhennique

May 6, 2015 at 2:38 pm

why e dey pain una? there are white folks who would give an arm for nigerian foods. Not errybody gotta like our shii

28. ade

May 6, 2015 at 2:43 pm

dem dey mad…with there own stupid food wey dey give person low sex drive

29. Mz Socially Awkward...

May 6, 2015 at 2:47 pm

I was just thinking some more about reaction to Nigerian food that I’ve personally come across. When I lived in Port Harcourt, my home skillet was dating this Canadian she met at work and it was his first time in the country so dude was feeling pretty adventurous. Until the day he decided to try some vegetable soup with periwinkles (isam). I’m not sure what exactly happened – from what he told us, he went to visit a community as part of the facilities inspections they had to do and he was offered their local delicacy (as he described it “a green soup with the worms in it”). There might have been some dodgy preparation of the vegetable leaves or periwinkles but the poor dude was almost comatose for 3 days with the sort of running stomach he’d never experienced in his life. And that was it oh, you couldn’t convince him to ever go near Nigerian soups again.

At work, I get the most reactions when I’m warming “party” jollof rice. You know that way professional Naija caterers prepare “party” jollof rice so that it comes out tasting like it was cooked with firewood? My people, the smell of the rice in the microwave is always a trigger for unending questions – “is something burning? What’s in the microwave? Is it your lunch? Why does it smell like that??”. One French bird had the temerity to actually put her face close to my plate and smell it! I was so angry!! Have grown weary of telling them, “there’s nothing wrong with it, it’s just how the rice is cooked”. And just last week, I was warming moin-moin (deliciously cooked with mackerel), that’s how one silly man made an asinine remark about the smell of what I was eating and I immediately turned around to ask whether it smelt stronger than Cullen Skink (a locally loved fish soup)? He was about to get offended and then kept it moving. Still warmed moinmoin again yesterday and yes, he was in the kitchen once more but not single comment came out of him this time.

• Bleed Blue

May 6, 2015 at 5:12 pm

Lol Mz S.A! Tell them oh! Tell them! (But I love cullen skink oh **covers eyes**)

Side story:
      I was on a 2-week work conference in Paris with over 200 people from about 32 countries. The hotel decided to do a “Nigerian food day”. See wahala! They cooked jollof rice…ok good good…added these humongous GIANT prawns in it….err ooookay….but the killer was the okra they put inside! The jollof rice was drawing eeeeeeeeeh! Kai!

Someone told them Nigerians like jollof rice, someone told them Nigerians like okra, so therefore, all join abi?

The white folks ate it. You know….trying to be cultured and cool…but abeg I fitn’t. I strolled to McDonalds.

• Okeoghene

May 6, 2015 at 5:49 pm

Hehehehehehe!!!Bleed Blue,I couldn’t help laughing hysterically at this your story o!In a bid to act all cultured and what not,those oyibo people ended up eating nonsense!Na wa for the chef wen prepare that food sha!Okra inside Jollof rice?!Kai!!

• Mz Socially Awkward....

May 6, 2015 at 10:58 pm

Nne, I like Cullen Skink too and would happily mop up a bowl with a crusty roll but he was being an idiot so had to remind him that the fishy dishes of his land didn’t smell that wonderful either.

Okra inside what rice? I’ve died. Bet that Big Mac went down a treat. 😀 Chei….but we go dey here dey laugh, one day the thing go just appear as a winning creation in an episode of Master Chef and we’ll be saying to ourselves, “Had I known?!”. Dooney come and hear oh! Oyibo wan take our food do haute couture, oh!!! 😀 😀

• NaijaPikin

May 6, 2015 at 9:03 pm

Girl i ain’t mad at the oyinbo dude. I personally don’t eat naija soup outside of the house. I’m always afraid of my belle running. When was the soup made, how was it preserved? what if it was left outside. Those are the things i keep thinking of and then I respect my belly and jejely order jollof rice

• Ijos

May 6, 2015 at 11:02 pm

Be like you live in a Scotland. Cullen skink doesn’t smell Jo shiooorrrr

30. O

May 6, 2015 at 2:49 pm

That was soooooo funny (the white one). Wasn’t offensive, I love our Nigerian food irrespective of what some white or black or brown people think. I love food in general jare, nothing’s going to offend me about it, period!

31. LOL

May 6, 2015 at 2:56 pm

I found the videos very funny though. Y’all should stop taking offense at everything. Same way y’all insult oyibo food, especially awon ti won ma n je ewe bi ewure…. No biggie, just good old humor. What is paining me is some of you IJGBs and “I am from the abroad” Nigerians have embraced their own dishes and abandoned your indigenous food,, making it easy for people like these ones to talk gob smack about African food. Eyin fitfam ni mo n ba wi oh.. *side eye*

32. UC

May 6, 2015 at 3:48 pm

Personally. I believe it is just meant to be funny. It is comedy. It is just their perception of food. Personally, I had not so good first impression of ramen noodles, mashed potatoes bcos I was not accustomed to the food. I also find some 9ja food interesting, In all, let us not take this too personal. It is meant to be comedy.
    I guess the question would be where do we draw the line btwn comedy and being offensive. My response, I cant tell cos the line seems to be blurred.

33. Idomagirl

May 6, 2015 at 4:05 pm

“I eat ass but that is nasty”. You stick your mouth in another person’s anus but Egusi is nasty *side eye*

Not offended but the one that said we don’t have forks in Africa is a goat. Same as the one that said ‘no wonder 50 cent only needs 25cents to feed them’. Nonsense.

34. determined.

May 6, 2015 at 4:20 pm

i don’t think this is offensive, i have had serious complaints from eating food from other parts of the world especially Europe and some south american countries. i made comments far worse than these. i think we are being too sensitive. i once spat out food at a restaurant cuz there was no way i would have swallowed it.

35. Berry Dakara

May 6, 2015 at 4:21 pm

I thought it was funny at different points – didn’t bother watching the Black guys though. I don’t think their reaction to the food was offensive – I’m a picky eater, so half the time I’m averse to different Nigerian foods. I do think that some of their comments were definitely unnecessary.

36. Abbs

May 6, 2015 at 4:43 pm

Ohhhh… I have not been this offended in a while!

These arrogant, ignorant, bigots may call this comedy but I find this extremely offensive to say the least.

I have dedicated the last few years of my life to Nigerian food after launching my own catering business mrsjfoods.com. We have had the opportunity to cater for clients from across the world including the Houses of Parliament here in the UK, which is sort of our version of Aso Rock. The feedback we get is always amazing and we are now seeing a trend of non Africans asking us to cater at their events – including a fully English wedding, not multi-cultural.

We have only been able to achieve this because of our hardwork and that of many pioneering food businesses and bloggers such as Eat Jollof London, Contemporary Nigerian Cuisine, Dooney’s Kitchen to mention a few.

I feel very offended about this because some people will watch this video and assume that our food is just as gross as they’ve described. It’s almost like giving someone Haggis or Marmite and saying that represents English food.

I should probably see the lighter side of this but I’m finding it very difficult to. Oh and what’s with that ridiculous imitation of his housemate’s accent and “his housemate eating in the bathroom”. I hope his housemate finds this duly offensive and puts them right in their place. Ridiculous!

• Jane Public

May 6, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Okay, I love you already and I looooooove your work. To those who didn’t find it offensive, all I can type is, major side eye. It is only Nigerians that foreigners will literally and figuratively spit in your face and you won’t find it offensive. Ever hear the phrase, i can insult my mama and my family if i want to, but you are not allowed to???? It applies to this video. Whether you have said nonsense about some nigerian foods is immaterial, a stranger is not allowed to, especially a stranger that has a platform that can misrepresent your food to other strangers. Like the African contienet doesn’t get enough abuse. Our food has been seen as crap fro decades and such videos only further that wrong stereotype. Not just that, you have just rubbished the hard work of people like Nigerian food bloggers who are making a difference. I dare these morons to say rubbish about their food. This is why you nigerian food bloggers really need to step up your game. If Jamie Oliver cooked Egusi the way we didn’t like, y’all will be up in arms, and the man really didn’t do anything wrong but over garnish, but these ones downright insulted your food and it is funny. I just can’t. It will really be a big shame if there is no Twitter hullabaloo from Africans, like there was with Jamie Oliver.

• Tola

May 6, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Typical hypocritical attitude, so we can say offensive things about other tribes’ foods but foreigners can’t?

• Stephanie-feld

May 6, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Typical double standard.

• Bisola

May 6, 2015 at 7:02 pm

Looks like both of you need comprehension lessons. For example, my siblings and i yab each other regularly. Sometimes it is meant to offend or insult because we don’t always get along, but hey we make up the next minute. Sometimes we even yab each other jokingly. Never mean spirited. But an outsider is NOT allowed to. I can call my brother an idiot, but don’t you DARE call him an idiot or you will hear it that day. Same policy applies here. I don’t like most Northern dishes and I have said not nice things about it, based on my perception of seeing and tasting the food, but never in the presence of anyone from that area. I wouldn’t dare, as a Yoruba woman. Same as you guys typing, maybe not with food but with other things, so no need to be all sanctimonious here, like you have never said a bad thing about something you don’t like before. Moving on. No matter how much i don’t like their food even after serving in Kaduna, I won’t record it for the world to see especially as i am not from that part of the country. Hey we insult our own country all the time for how terrible things are. i can refer to many Bella Naija articles saying the same but please now don’t come and tell us our problems in such a mean spirited way. We do that well enough ourselves, thank you very much. Joke about food as you can, heck i have said a lot about Chinese food but never mean spirited. This was mean spirited, that is the difference. Was I offended? Yes I was because of the negative stereotypes they propagated and because food is part of the identity of a country. You yab my natural hair, you just yabbed me too. Gerrit? Americans do this all the time and we never comeback with a counter argument, letting ignorant people speak for us. Like @janepublic said, I will like to hear them make fun of muslims or halal food and other foods from the middle east. Bullies always pick on those they can

• Bisola

May 6, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I can abuse Goodluck Jonathan for his ineptitude and cluelessness, lol (bite me, yeah yeah, doesn’t make it right) but CNN should not broadcast an entire video abusing him. Are they mad?

37. emma

May 6, 2015 at 5:35 pm

I usually make fried rice, meat pie, chin chin, puff puff and all those common Naija foods for my American friends who want to try naija food. I’m not really offended by their comments after all their taste buds are not used to foods like egusi, ogbono etc, however whoever cooked the egusi did a very poor job. the soup did not even look like egusi, the thunder that would fire the person/people that brought up the idea of serving them a traditional dish instead of a more westernized one is still doing push ups. Whoever made the food should be ashamed of themselves for disgracing their country.

• whlo

May 7, 2015 at 10:26 am

“the thunder that would fire the person/people that brought up the idea of serving them a traditional dish instead of a more westernized one is still doing push ups.”
      That line had me rolling with laughter, hilarious!!!

38. jjc

May 6, 2015 at 5:38 pm

as bad as the comments where, they chose the wrong meals for them to try. even in nigeria people don’t like draw soup. The food didn’t look appealing enough as well cause i have taken white and other countries to Nigerian restaurant and i advice them on what to eat, telling them the ingredients involved and what part of the country, they make their choices and end up licking their plates.(although most times its usually jollof rice or pounded yam and vegetable soup)

39. TrueTalkCritique

May 6, 2015 at 7:16 pm

I beg to differ, I found this highly offensive. You are not expected to like everything you try but why make such stupid and nonsensical comments? Don’t like it, don’t eat it!

40. Endy

May 6, 2015 at 7:29 pm

My husband love Asian food like Chinese,Hong Kong and Malaysia food,Each time we are on vacation and I try those foods…a times I forget it’s a restaurant and scream loud,I can’t forget the day my hubby put a little meat in my mouth while eating…Only for me to discover it was snake after I had swallowed it….Menh I vomited all over the place…so to me is not offensive but normal

• Pat

May 7, 2015 at 6:18 pm

@Endy, wrote a msg below for u. Just curious about how the snake tasted

41. biodazzle

May 6, 2015 at 9:16 pm

They are very foolish and bad racist. Does America has food???????

42. Sisi

May 6, 2015 at 10:38 pm

“They ain’t no forks in the motherland” really? that’s the dumbest statement I’ve ever heard.

• Rubbish

May 7, 2015 at 1:13 am

I give you infinite likes.

43. LILO

May 6, 2015 at 11:34 pm

Truth is we have said worse things about other people’s delicacies at one point or the other . Go Chinatown ..you go see pig blood pudding and say nyama…no offensce taken jare

44. Adaora

May 6, 2015 at 11:58 pm

Pls what food exactly is American food … What food exactly is British food … Am jt asking o … We learn n get her knowledge very day , I jt need thus knowledge thus nite …. Imagine me eating burger etc n making those faces n comment

45. nnenne

May 7, 2015 at 12:41 am

Am usually open to other cuisines but I remember buying a shrimp Waton soup, and the look of it did not allow me to taste it.
    My friend was so happy to take it away from me.
    One man’s meat, is another man’poison.
    What they don’t know is that it costs a lot to make a good pot of soup.
    Am sorry, 50 cents can not make it. He is ignorant.

46. Ola

May 7, 2015 at 2:13 am

Hmm,na wa oo see them,jobless waka pass comediansthey should be making people laugh and not judging other countries food,,they should try proper fufu,the hard one,I mean the one that changes and takes over atmospheric conditions,they would know how far.I need to put up a video on those over processed,calories crazy meals as well,smmh

47. Lola

May 7, 2015 at 5:45 am

Lord – this was so ignorant. I was laughing and pissed off at the same time. Dude said “It’s good but I’m scared it might be koala or something.” HAAAAA!!! I cackled!!! I was offended by the white guys but the black guys were equally funny and offensive.

48. steph

May 7, 2015 at 1:14 pm

Some say…. white people are just curious, they don’t mean any harm! Really!

49. steph

May 7, 2015 at 1:18 pm

The reaction is normal from the black guy. Oh by the way black Americans, are not really blacks, they are different because they have Scottish, German, Indian, Italian, and so on. Never heard they have African in them. Lol!

50. Julie

May 7, 2015 at 1:50 pm

The black guys were more offensive than the white guys… What does he mean by Africans eat flies. Also, who made the ogbono? fa fa fa fail… it didn’t even look appetizing to me and i’m Nigerian. Furthermore, there are many Nigerians who don’t like fufu, the smell is outta this world, should have given them pounded yam or amala or even eba lol.

51. Feistyfiona

May 7, 2015 at 4:40 pm

O wow! I just gave the maintenance guy in my apartment complex some Ogbono last week and he loved it (he is white)!!! The problem with the guys above is that they don’t explore other cultures objectively. My husband and I try stuff from different cuisines all the time. It adds a certain quality to your existence when you are able to appreciate cultures in depth.

52. step77

May 7, 2015 at 5:17 pm

BN we need to send these guys the links to blogs like Dooney’s Kitchen and Funke Koleosho’s blog. After visiting it’ll be nice to get their feedback.

53. Pat

May 7, 2015 at 6:14 pm

How did the snake taste!? I heard it looks and tastes like fish when cooked. I remember telling a friend that I could never eat snake and she laughed and said if I have eaten in a restaurant / buka I might have already eaten it. I was like are u for real!

54. Ann1

May 8, 2015 at 2:28 am

Lmaoo. I don’t think it’s offensive, they’re comedians. I laughed my ass off.

55. Chinco

May 13, 2015 at 11:04 pm

Iv had food from different cultures and I like Nigerian food the best, I always look forward to coming home mainly because of the food ( I apologize to my family and friends), I try to be liberal with food. Iv had squid and halo halo which is a nice milky desert spoiled with beans ( asian). I had to apologize to my friend cus I kept removing the beans from my mouth into a paper napkin. Anyone should say what they like about Nigerian food it doesn’t change anything. People who love it will still eat it

56. perrified

July 6, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Calm down people! Put yourself in their shoes. I found the video absolutely hilarious because I have been there. Tasting meals from other cultures is an adventure and sometimes you come out drinking listerine for days! No salt, no pepper, no spice choi! what a disappointment. At least some of the tasters really got into it and they appreciated something. I liked the guy who said he enjoyed the fufuwith egusi. Trooper. Cos Nigerian me absolutely dislikes fufu

57. BLake

July 6, 2016 at 11:23 pm

Stop being stupid you guys, you can’t expect everyone to like all foods, some people are just going to find them gross. Stop being such babies and suck it up.