Music

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde, Waje, Yemi Alade, Victoria Kimani & more in “Strong Girl” ONE Campaign Video

Deji S

ONE Campaign has joined forces with some of Africa’s most talented artistes to create a new anthem that celebrates the power of girls and women everywhere titled “Strong Girl”.strong girl

This song is a call to action for you to put pressure on your country’s leader to empower girls and women, so they can lift their own communities out of poverty. You can sign the petition and join the campaign #WithStrongGirls here!

“Strong Girl” features vocalists Waje (Nigeria), Victoria Kimani (Kenya), Vanessa Mdee (Tanzania), Arielle T (Gabon), Gabriela (Mozambique), Yemi Alade (Nigeria), Selmor Mtukudzi (Zimbabwe), Judith Sephuma (South Africa), new talent Blessing Nwafor (South Africa) and the video stars Omotola Jalade Ekeinde (Nigeria).omotola jalade-ekeinde strong girl

The song was produced by Cobhams Asuquo and the video was shot by Godfather Productions.

Watch!

1. eyong

May 13, 2015 at 4:44 pm

I actually really enjoyed this. It was so natural, unlike all the “we are the world” wanna be songs out of Africa before. This one was natural, light, yet made a strong impact.

• Leah

May 13, 2015 at 9:49 pm

Amen!

2. Rose

May 13, 2015 at 4:57 pm

I respect the objective of this campaign, but as a fellow NGO worker, I understand the system.

You can sing as much as you like, or we can shout about the government. Until individual families begin to respect their daughters and nieces as the Strong girl, we will still be having this conversation in 2080! The identity and perception of a female begins at home, but I don’t understand why we continue to ignore this issue. Until brothers are raised and trained to see their sisters, or Uncles know their nieces are Strong girls the problem will continue.

• Lami

May 13, 2015 at 6:02 pm

Isn’t bringing attention to the subject better than not even acknowledging the topic altogether? We need to always appreciate the effort others put in to making things better and do ours as an addition when we feel its inadequate.
      I loved this video. Oh Omotola how I love you so! You’re truly a strong strong girl. God bless you. Waje I sight you too and all these beautiful african sisters. I think there’s a petition to be signed as well. Hope you’ll go sign too Rose and not just comment on social media. We all need to do something.

• Rose

May 13, 2015 at 11:40 pm

Dear Lami, thanks for your response. .Working full time within the Nigerian NGO sector for 10 years, I drive two hours every day to go and work within the toughest areas of Lagos and I understand fully what is transpiring in the lives of these young girls. Hence my ply that what we need is information and not infotainment. I respect the video that the ladies have made fully. I understand media, However the average Nigerian girl or family are not as impressionable as these external NGO’s would like us to think. What they need is practical examples. Were talking about empowering their mindset to be strong girls, however what is the practicality of that? how does that look? what is a mother or father to do to convey the message that she is a strong girl. ? For the average family who need all the children to contribute to the home, how does that mother provide for her family and convey the issue of being a ‘strong girl’. I have the utmost respect for the video. However the reality of working on ground with the average Nigerian brings about a total different reality to which the idea that a music video brings attention to the subject.

• Bee

May 14, 2015 at 3:48 am

Hi Rose, in as much as I respect and agree with some things you have stated I disagree with the infotainment part. How many people in general take their time to listen to information. When you ask someone about a public announcement that was made 5mins ago, I’m almost certain that person wouldn’t remember or they would, slightly. But, if you ask about the last public announcement inform of music, trust me they will remember. Thats why a lot will still remember the theme song of Nigeria 99 and won’t remember the Public announcement before it. A shift is occurring and if you do your research well, you’d find out the best way to get people’s attention now is through Infotainment. I’d advise you to get on board . Employ good digital marketers to help with the NGO and I know you’d see the difference. People hardly read anything except an excerpt is being talked about on Twitter. You might not like it, but thats the way the world is going now.

• Rose

May 14, 2015 at 10:18 am

Hi Bee, thank you for your reply. I am also a digital strategist consultant for some of the best top corporate banks in Nigeria. Having worked with Google for four years. So my experience within the digital sector is vast.. As prevalent as social media is it is only reaching a small percentage of Nigerians. The average Nigerian!(Not Lagosian) can not afford data or access to a mobile phone that provides data. Statistics are very clear. Grass roots campaigns are still the most effective campaigns within an environment like Nigeria. A infortainment campaign can only be successful when using information to persuade the audience. I remember Waje’s amazing video about abuse a couple of years ago. Now that is using information with media, The video showed a clear story and how important it was for victims to get help. In all of this, the buck still starts with us as individuals.

• tunmi

May 14, 2015 at 10:14 pm

And you got to the root of it “expensive data plans” or even expensive phones. Do they still have radio programs like nkan mbe? I remember one on Saturday that taught life lessons. The particular episode was on sexual abuse involving an “uncle” and a young girl. The radio is more accessible than the internet or TV. @Rose perhaps a post on your NGO. I know of slums2school and another one…darn was it Christmas in someplace

3. prince

May 13, 2015 at 5:02 pm

Nice one. Waje, I see you. Omosexy of life. #stronggirl

4. temi

May 13, 2015 at 5:29 pm

All these feminists have started again. Please don’t forget omotola is married o. She’s submissive to her husband.This woman respects and never stand up to her hubby but she comes here saying equality is everything. Don’t get her wrong people.

• eyong

May 13, 2015 at 6:23 pm

Actually, if you watch several Omotola interviews, you’d know that she is not much of the submissive wife. Her and her husband WORK TOGETHER, in everything. And Feminism has little to do with being a wife. Maybe you should read up on the actual meaning of the word?

• Waje

May 13, 2015 at 6:40 pm

Temi hi, this isn’t about feminism. Life is very difficult for women in poor communities…… Research has shown that 28 percent or less of female in the subsaharan finish primary school. Submission isn’t ignorance so please sign the petition and lend your voice in making life a little easier for girls around the world to be better women and confident wives. Don’t belittle what this isn’t about. Bless

• polypoly

May 13, 2015 at 8:38 pm

hey waje!!!! thx for stopping bye and also thanks for this campaign,

I wish male celebs were included…..African men need role models in this arena

• J.P

May 13, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Since when does Feminism mean not being married and not respecting your companion?

• nnenne

May 13, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Exactly the reason why Omotola was featured. Feminism has nothing to with marriage.
      Wives and men can be feminists too.

I always wonder why some African men are so afraid to loose their “kingship” over women, Although they do nothing to earn the crown like their fathers before did.
      The woman will feed them, run the house, raise the kids and wipe their butts.
      What remains is for the wives to turn around and thank them for giving them the chance to be their slaves!!

5. Aderonke says #Bring BackOurGirls#

May 13, 2015 at 6:58 pm

I concur with your view Rose.
    The way will enlighten our girls to become “ladies”, we should also put energy and values into our boys to become “gentlemen”. With that in view the female gender will be well respected and appreciated.
    The “strong girl” campaign is a great initiative but it must not be just an event but a school from creche to the grave and also we can do vice-verse for boys, that’s the only way it will not be a victory for the moment but for gender valued and life changer.

6. ella

May 13, 2015 at 8:19 pm

Lovely song, lovely theme, powerful message, great vocals everything is on point.

7. Adaeze

May 13, 2015 at 8:26 pm

Omotola strong girl. Respect.

8. ify

May 13, 2015 at 11:11 pm

Waooooo!!! This is so so beautiful. Beautiful ladies, beautiful song, beautiful message., beautiful video… #STRONG GIRL#

9. Chacha

May 14, 2015 at 9:33 am

Nice one… Mi Likey

10. LOLA

May 14, 2015 at 9:35 am

yes !!!!! Rose you are so on point.” IT STARTS IN OUR VARIOUS HOMES” cos if your family don’t see you as a strong girl who will? I am strong girl today because of my family support I was given same benefits if not more compared to my brothers. all am just trying to say is a strong family foundation matters to being a strong girl

11. Adaeze Writes

May 14, 2015 at 9:55 am

I love this song! Definitely on replay…

12. NIce

May 14, 2015 at 10:40 am

Sorry, where did Omotola school?

• Round trip

May 14, 2015 at 9:18 pm

Google can help you. I’m trying to be Nice to you… *Wink*its free.

13. Heartlezz

May 14, 2015 at 8:24 pm

I’m here for the music biko! Is that not Cynthia Morgan in the video, her name was not mentioned in the credits above if so. Take note BN.

14. Rahila

May 14, 2015 at 8:47 pm

Girls & women in my community they are not shown relevancy they are 2nd class humans

15. Debbi3

May 14, 2015 at 9:35 pm

Africa has Vocalists like this and majority of them were not included in the we are the world video. Bravo to all the singers and Omotola for this…..

16. Mama Bug

May 15, 2015 at 2:07 pm

Wow wow wow I really really love this; sounds sooooo amazing I could watch and listen over a million times.. Great voices ladies; would have loved to see Tiwa and Seyi Shay in the vid as well but all in all, well done ladies..

***IF IT AIN’T BROKE, DON’T FIX IT***

17. jossy

May 16, 2015 at 1:05 pm

Beautiful video, featuring the best of the best. Weldone WAJE, Yemi and the other strong girls. My diva Omotola, you rock always and I love you for inspiring ladies and showing that no matter what, we can have it all (Family, career) and still be who we want to be. ONE choose the best to pass this message across. #Rolemodeloflife. Song on replay……….

18. Presh

May 19, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Dang!, Africa has reaaally beautiful women. I love love love this video. I adore the message. Videos ike this rekindle the African fire within me. Videos like this make me proud to be a woman; to be, above all, strong. Respect to all the strong girls all around the world. We sure rock!!! :* (y)

19. [email protected]

May 24, 2015 at 5:01 pm

Firstly i loooove this song and its been all replay all day.
    The struggle women encounter is real…this campaign has nothing to do with feminism its just for women to have as much rights as men. I work in Bauchi and Sokoto states on a project on maternal and newborn health….you would be amazed the number of women that die due to childbirth and its complications because their husbands refuse to allow them visit health facilities and the women do not have a say in their health, their socio -economic standing, are too poor and not empowered to make informed choices about her own life.
    I totally support this campaign its they can do to voice out and stop the ill treatments women face.

20. Kaindi

April 10, 2016 at 9:00 pm

As we are trying to get ourselves acknowledged we need not to forget that we are our own enemies in that in most cases we as women don’t get along.
    Once we are together we can beat all expectations.
    The song is amazing kudos Afican ladies