Features

Helping Mums! Dakore Akande Talks about the ‘Dilemmas with Choosing the Right Daycare’ in New Article

Dakore AkandeWe love reading Nollywood actress Dakore Akande’s experiences with motherhood (click here and here to read past posts) which she shares on her blog here.

In her latest post, the mother of two gorgeous daughters talks about how it has been challenging for her in choosing the right daycare.

Read her post below:

On today’s post I want to share some of the challenges I experienced while looking for a good educational Daycare centre for my babies. I’m a big believer in early education for children, as my first born, Ayomide started going to daycare as early as 8months! I know some of you might think it was too early but it was deliberate on my part after a lot of research.

I first noticed she had a tendency to be shy around her fellow toddlers yet she was totally at ease with adults probably because she didn’t have any consistent interaction with them. In hindsight it shows that she had become comfortable only in adult company which is not bad, but since it is her peers she will eventually have to interact with we decided day care that it was the best thing to do for her. And guess what? It totally transformed her and now she’s the first one to say hello. She is not that shy awkward kid anymore and it’s been amazing to watch.

In order to back up my long narrative, studies have shown that the period from newborn to 5 years is a critical time in a child’s ultimate development into adulthood. They are akin to sponges soaking up everything they are exposed to and it is truly up to us Mums and Dads alike to give them proper exposure to well supervised, highly skilled and learned play. This can be done at daycare or playgroups.

This is in addition to a good home environment where the mother and father play an active role in their child’s development.

Armed with this new knowledge and experience, yet another added task in the joys and challenges of motherhood, is finding the right daycare facility or playgroup or crèche or a hybrid of all for your precious little ones. Believe me it has nothing to do with being abroad or here in Nigeria. The real issue is which one out of so many? In recent times in Nigeria especially, there’s a daycare on almost every street corner – due to increased demand borne out of both parents working away from the household. Typical concerns are: Do they have the perfect balance of reasonable cost, love and care, educational value, hygiene and cleanliness, ratio of children to adults, location, proximity for easy pickup, etc?

With Dasola, our younger daughter, things were not so easy the second time around in this regard. Generally I trust my gut instincts about things and most times I’m spot on. But I found that with regards to choosing schools, it made my task of finding the right one harder, not only because of the aforementioned criteria but it just had to feel right in my spirit as well.

I looked at 8 different schools before I settled on where she goes now. Phew! In addition I had to do this starting from when she was 6 months old so I would go and check out each one in between filming takes and breaks, which are fewer and further between these days. This put me under a lot of strain and stress because this is my precious little cargo we’re talking about and it’s not easy to find people or institutions that share that same vision.

There were two schools I went to and they were really nice and new, but in the first one, there were too few students in class, the second one I really liked but there were too many kids crammed into a small space which made me uncomfortable, especially when you think of the fact that we’re now in an era of easily spread diseases, germs and the like.

Another school I really liked, was very nice, but would have been a logistical nightmare because it was too far away. I believe you get the picture now.

Now coming to the end of my long story, when I walked into Dasola’s current playgroup it just felt right. It was the best balance of all my criteria and it felt like a family and not just another potential pay-check for them. The proprietor is really warm, lives on the premises, and wasn’t ridiculously expensive. I’ve seen a lot of growth in my daughter and she loves it there, thank God! Or could it be that I was just fed up at this point? I’d like to believe the former rather than the latter!

Have you had similar experiences? Share below.

Photo Credit: Instagram/dakorea

1. iba

June 5, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I’m so sorry, I just kept waiting to read something weighty until the article ended. I don’t get this one. I wanted to see tips and some real solid pointers but I was left hanging.

2. NK

June 5, 2015 at 2:35 pm

@ Iba…. I felt same too. Was so interested to read this because Dakore is one of my fav person. But it ended without getting any satisfaction. This is not an article. BN overrated the caption….my opinion.

• JK

June 5, 2015 at 7:25 pm

@ NK & IBA
      I disagree with you two!
      The write up is very educative.This is one sincere expression of an experience & thought.
      She hammered on “Early Education” for toddlers and how it has proven to be helpful towards a child’s development using her first child as a case study.
      She also laid emphasy on factors she considered before placing her second child in the daycare which includes:
      “Presence of the owner of the facility”
      As a mother myself this an important factor because it often than not guarantee optimum supervision, connection & commitment towards the babies and the employees.
      ” Logistics”
      It is better to have your young children nearer to you.Unforseen Situations & Circumstances must be considered.
      “Class size”
      Not too small and not to large!
      “Cost”
      No matter your status-What you are paying need not be ridiculously outrageous! Am so impressed Dakore highlighted on this because some of us think the higher the cost the better the service quality!
      And lastly but not at the least is ” Home Environment & Parental Involvement” This is very important even for lone parents!
      I bet you can still find more helpful pointers!

• JK

June 5, 2015 at 7:29 pm

‘Unforeseen’ pardon me!

3. tunmi

June 5, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Her writing could come off as pretentious but it doesn’t and I’m glad she writes from a genuine place. Early education is important. I don’t have kids yet but I observe my coworkers’ kids and it is just amazing to watch them grow. They are 3 years old with leas than a month apart and having that peer and adult stimulation in a daycare is so important. Their vocabulary has massively improved, and they understand krio (their parents are from Sierra Leone). Watching them alone makes me want to have one (but not yet)

4. bunmi

June 5, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Hnm

5. Modupe

June 5, 2015 at 3:11 pm

Growing up in naija, I remember my mum driving me from one school interview to the other at age4! Believe me there were assessments for getting into naija schools in lagos in the 80s. I froze at st saviours when a saw a white teacher! Ended up at adrao. I carried the same approach with my 6yrs over 30yrs later. She went to a daycare at 13mth which was many miles away from home but I was not ready to comprise on the standard, especially as I was paying. She is now at a sch( top5 in the country(uk). She read fluently and can do mental maths really well. Play a musical instrument etc. i am not a pushy mum but I have done everything to create an enabling environment for her to strive and reach her potential. I move to naija soon, i am not dropping the standard, whatever it takes, if I am paying, i expect 150% outcome.

• tunmi

June 5, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Also have her do team activities such as playing sports: I vote soccer (football). Good job on the instrument part. I would want my kid to learn the bata drum or violin

6. Beeeee

June 5, 2015 at 3:49 pm

I can totally relate. My daughter started creche at 7 months old because I had to go back to work. Finding the right place was nerve wrecking and stressful. I think i went to like 10 schools and finding the right balance in terms of cost, care, cleanliness, etc was really difficult. I went to a couple of places in VI that made me almost throw up. Other places had too many kids and not even nannies or care givers. When I finally found the right place, I just knew. She is 18 months old now and talking up a storm..lol

7. olu

June 5, 2015 at 4:28 pm

Is it because this girl is pretty and married to some rich dude that BN comments dont want to bash her when necessary?
    In my opinion, she gets away with what other will definately not get away with…

Some of y’all are nothing other that booklickers to me.

• Speak Out

June 5, 2015 at 6:00 pm

Please excuse the love I gave to this comment. It was done in a bid to click on reply.

That said, why criticize someone and not speak properly? It is called “Bootlickers”.and “Definitely”

8. @edDREAMZ

June 5, 2015 at 4:29 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Seriously her article is base on rich people abeg….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

9. Remie

June 5, 2015 at 4:32 pm

I really like the write up, especially as it comes from a genuine place. I had similar experience, i worked with my hubby on the island, and with our 1st, he started at 6mths… as difficult as it was, the creche felt like home and the owner was so courteous. And, yes, my boy is smart, free with all, just a happy young lad… fast forward to the 2nd… he’s only lucky he has a free spirited big brother to follow in his stride… we couldnt afford to bring him to where the 1st attended basically, because of logistics… however, he’s home with my folks…and his brother, and he’s equally a fast learner… hopefully, he’d get to start sometimes soon….he’s 15mth now.
    over all, there’s joy knowing your little ones are happy within their environment.

10. mamaisabel

June 5, 2015 at 5:24 pm

…well she quite highlight but looking at the piece critically, she made one or two points.

11. Obi

June 5, 2015 at 6:14 pm

It’s vital for one to enrol his/her kids to early education…pls consider such as you plan for your future family.

12. JK

June 5, 2015 at 9:38 pm

@BN : what happened to my main post?? Aggrrrh!!