Features

Isio Knows Better: Traditional Or Caesarean

Isio De-laVega

MAJOR DISCLAIMER: This article is about child-birth. If you are squeamish, uncomfortable or you don’t care for the process of creating life – well, I can’t tell you to not to read on, but please bear with us, mbok.

I have a few friends who are mothers who take pleasure in telling me all the garish things in store for me when I finally decide to pop one out. *side-eyes at all of you*

The way they describe what child-birth/pregnancy is actually like eh, na wa o. Fear catch me na. That was how, one day, my cousin (who was 8 months pregnant at the time) called me into the room and said, “Isio come and see something…”

Me too I marched there like a hibiscus plant. I said, “Wozz dat?”

She said, “See…” She showed me her thighs laughingly. “See these things?”

Iyeeeee!” I gasped in sudden breath. “What is it?”

“This is what happens when you get pregnant. They just pop up!” she laughed heartily.  She didn’t really seem to mind them. My brain tried to process what it was, it is hard to explain, but I think it is what oyinbos call varicose veins. They look like the pathway a river makes through the earth just before depositing itself into the ocean. Yeahhhh, exactly like that. *flying off to go check google images* Yep, that’s what it is. Varicose veins.

My cousin was still laughing at me, “Ahhh, Isio relax. Mine is very, very mild compared to other people’s own. At least I don’t have the expanded nose, swollen feet, burnt complexion or stretch-marks.”

I was still dazed. All I could think of to say was, “Did you put shea-butter on it?”

She gave me a full burst of laughter and a shoulder-squeeze in solidarity. She picked up her bag and left the house for work, leaving me still standing there like a hibiscus plant.

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

Ahhhh, my friends and family… You all should stop scaring me biko. Then they say things like…

“Olympus must surely fall after child-birth!” WHATTTTTT?! Why?

“It gets so full with miliki you have to pump it out because it HURTS!” Ewoooooo!

“Stretch-marks… Ahhhhh, stretch-marks all over.” Tufiakwa. Shea-butter to the rescue.

“Your belly-skin will stretchhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so much it will itch like crazy. But please try not to scratch it, eh?” Can I put shea-butter on it? In my mind, shea-butter cures everything.

“The hanging belly-skin after child-birth. It’s like a kangaroo pouch but don’t worry. You will forget about it every-time you hold your baby.” But… can’t I put shea-butter on it?

“Forget sleep. Babies cry a lot.” Choiiiiii!

“The baby will unexpectedly bite your nipple if you are still breast-feeding it and its front teeth are out. It is very painful. You will scream, but don’t worry”. Ouch, that’s not right at all.

“You will have to suck out the catarrh from the baby’s nose.” That one will never happen. Lai lai!

“But delivery day nko? My labour was 18 hours! I had to push and push!” *I start to bite my nails*

“The pain is out of this world. Take your worst period pain, multiply it by 1 million.” But what about epidural?

“Hmmmmn. Epidural?! You really want someone to chook a BIGGGGG needle in your spine? If they do it wrong, that’s permanent paralysis o!” Yeeeeeepa!

“If you go and eat too much during your pregnancy and your baby is large, know say na onechance you don enter…” What, why?

“Hmmmmmmn. There is a very high possibility that the doctors will cut your cha-cha open.” Cut ke? With what?

“With a scissors. A special one… very sharp. They will just do like this…” (Then one uses her hands to simulate a scissor-cut) “One, two…” Ughhhhh… (I draw back in terror) That’s just wrong.

“Then just pray the baby is in the right position. Or the doctor will have to chook his whole hand inside and turn the baby around.” Whatttttt? NO WAY?! That actually happens?

“See you! Of course it does. And what I am surprised is that no one has told you that at some point, during labour, when you are pushing and pushing… You will not know when you will soil the bed. I mean igbe – in case you think I mean something else… Just like that, poop! It’s out.”

“Awwwwwwwwchhhhhh! Ayama!” I was 100% horrified at this latest revelation. No wonder they saved it for last.

“Whatttttt?” they continued. It’s normal jo. You won’t care at all. The labour pains are sooooo intense that you would give anything just to have the baby out of you, and for the pain to stop. And after that, its bliss. You hold your little one in your arms…” They sigh and smile at the beautiful memory of their little ones before plunging into more terrifying details…

“Oh, but you are not out of the woods yet. You still have to wait for the stiches used to sew back your cha-cha to heal…” Sew the cha-cha? What do you mean – someone actually puts a needle and thread to sew the cha-cha?! Anyone who has ever had that place waxed and then tweezed to perfection can relate to JUST HOW PAINFUL IT IS! WHYYYYYYY WOULD YOU THEN SEW IT?! I start shivering.

They continue, “You still have to go home and sit on hot water for a while so that everything will come out.” I still don’t understand. What is everything?

“And you still have to tie your stomach if you want your stomach to be flat again.” Why do I have to tie it? Girdle nko?

If their goal was to scare me half to death, they succeeded. Then, I said, “Well, maybe I would have a Caesarean then. It seems easier than what you guys just described…” I did not anticipate the horror the idea of a Caesarean would invoke in my friends.

“Caesarean ke? It is very bad, and worse!” How?

“What about the scars? The pain? You may be bed-ridden for a while! No Caesarean o! It’s not the same. Child-birth is about feeling it! With Caesarean you may not heal. You cannot exercise. All the things you could do to get your body back you may not be able to do. Plus C-Sections can go awry, it’s better you get an epidural, my dear.” Epi-kini? So that one doctor will now kukuma slice the cha-cha very well just because down-below is numb. Mba o.

And that was how the debate started. Traditional versus Caesarean.

For those who have had children, what is so good/bad about the traditional method, and what is so wrong/good about Caesarean? Please help us decide, biko. Enlighten us. How was it for you? What did you choose? Did you have a choice? Did you choose a Caesarean to save the cha-cha? Or did the Doctor’s sewing it make it better? Lastly, on a scale of 1-10, how painful is it, really?

Mwaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! My lovelies.

1. $exyD

June 30, 2015 at 9:49 am

CS is d most painful cos you gotta heal for at least 2 months before you can even start any form of mild-rigorous exercise… 6weeks before you can have sex…permanent scar…and frequent jabs of pain, plus itching…in all, CS is more painful but it’s still a good choice especially for difficult births etc.

• auggie

June 30, 2015 at 11:07 am

i think we should leave it to personal experiences, i have had two cs and i would prefer it any day to natural birth. the only downside for me is the cost, not the pain. i am back to my pre-baby weight, my tummy is flat and my vjay jay is still very tight down there, so for me, going thru so much pain just to prove a point is not necessary. plus with my two cs, i got up from my bed the very next day.

• Bleh

June 30, 2015 at 8:39 pm

I agree it’s down to personal experience….though there’s this misconception that vaginal delivery loosens the vagina. ….well it didn’t in my case. I had my baby vaginally and I’m still as tight as ever down there plus my tummy came down faster….less recovery time..It’s cheaper too etc. My baby is less than a year but i look even better than i did before i gave birth. so for me…vaginal delivery any day any time….there’s always epidural for the pains.

• Tinkerbell's Mommy

April 15, 2016 at 3:06 pm

That’s great! The vjay thing is a myth. Speaking from experience with a natural child birth, I’m still tight down there. My baby is 4 months old and I’m trimmer than I was prior to taking in. I went from being a uk12 to a uk8. There was no pain during or after delivery, thanks to epidural. I can’t wait to get pregnant again… Lol

• tope

June 30, 2015 at 11:27 am

Please have you experienced both?

• yinx

August 12, 2015 at 4:10 pm

Exactly. how does she know recovery time was less if she hasn’t experienced both.

• LOL

June 30, 2015 at 11:33 am

Lol, at C-section, as my cervix was dilating early, I was heavily constipated. Anyway on delivery day, the pain was so painful, there were strange men, who worked at the hospital, some of them my mum’s friend’s coming to support her, with my vagina there for all to see, but I didn’t care as the pain was unbearable. So can you imagine how painful it is that you don’t care that strangers were around when you vijayjay was exposed!
      The only saving grace was all the pooping I did, everyone scattered! We have a joke that the poop I delivered was double the size of the baby.
      Oh, and I was told (only gas an air for me) epidural doesn’t save you from the excruciating pain you feel as the baby’s head is about to pop out and the whole thing stretches, I mean I thought I was going to pop! Thank God I didn’t – I mean what is the diameter of a baby’s head compared to your husband schlong long john thomas – and remember all the times you were dry and you thought it hurt!! Hehehe
      Walked around so traumatised that after when I saw women with especially large bellies I had palpitations – I mean how is that going to pass through…the end!

• Queen of Everything

June 30, 2015 at 12:45 pm

Lol at your mum needing support, she brought her tribe. you nko that actually needed the support? Lmao

• Aby

September 12, 2015 at 4:01 pm

Can’t stop laughing. I am due in a few weeks and laughter is the only way I can deal with the fear invoked by all the scary stories. So, thanks for this

• JS

June 30, 2015 at 6:04 pm

It is done so neatly these days, you can barely see the scar. Depends on where you do it.

• Colour Purple

June 30, 2015 at 9:29 pm

I had a c section cause my labour wasn’t progressing and baby got distressed. Was given a spinal tap and other than the injection going in and some painless stretching in the tummy area when they were pulling the little one out didn’t feel anything. I even breastfed while being sewn up. By the time I left hospital was on ibuprofen for just 2 weeks and got jiggly 2 weeks and 2 days after delivery ( caution: attempt at your own risk). So far I’ve healed wonderfully, didn’t get stitches cause glue was used and the scar is barely visible. I think what helped my healing process was movement within 24 hours of surgery and strict breastfeeding.

2. Priscy

June 30, 2015 at 9:54 am

Isio!!!
    Thank you for sending shivers down my spine this morning
    See goosebumps all over me hands
    Child birth stories scared the shit outta me
    But God that created women specially, will give us all the grace and power and all that it takes when we get to that stage
    Women are the strongest being….no man can go thru half of all this

3. abi

June 30, 2015 at 9:55 am

on a scale on 1-10…………ermmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 50!!!!! its that painful

I had 2 natural deliveries and yes once the baby is out the pain is gone whereas with CS you are bed ridden for a while coupled with the other things you’ve mentioned. But right now, presently, I won’t have minded a CS to save my chacha and have a tiny weenie tummy tuck from the stitching

• PurpleiciousBabe

June 30, 2015 at 12:23 pm

that not true for all who have had CS.
      Two of my friends have had it and they are pretty ok after a week or less.
      My aunt had it and she was good.
      I saw my friend’s scar in fact nothing is there. The technique they use in the UK is far better.
      I doubt I care about how I deliver vjay or cs.
      As long as I carry a healthy baby with all limbs complete and normal.
      Am happy. x

• Lois

June 30, 2015 at 4:50 pm

Abi, just 50?! You just downplayed the pain. The pain is excruciatingly horrifying. That scale of 1-10 is totally insufficient. The pain scatter/break scales (o ja scale o). I’ll give it 1millon. The pain no be here at all. I have not been through CS birth before but with how I see how my friend’s and colleagues bellies are after CS (most look very ugly even months after birth), I won’t really take it as an option. My first virginal birth took about 5hours intense labor but I was at it 6 hours prior making 11hrs in all. I went to hell and back but the moment the baby came out, I felt bliss to the extent that I didn’t feel that intense pain when I was being stitched back(yeah Mr. Doc gave me two long cuts in my cha-cha and he was nice enough to let me know that he placed extra stitches to make me slightly tighter) love you Dr. Ajetunmobi. The feeling of holding my baby took away the memory of anguish of pain I just went through.
      Currently I am praying to God for twins or even triplets(huge dreams) because I want to just do the birthing issues ones and for all; so that me and hubby can go back to our gangster lovemaking ASAP. To born no easy at all CS or Vaginal

4. mo

June 30, 2015 at 9:58 am

as usual, I found your story hilarious.., honestly, everyone has their own experience and someone’s personal experience may not necessarily be yours. infact no two childbirth experiences (by the same mother) can be the same. I have two kids, a girl and a boy both natural deliveries (no cuts, stitches or tummy tying involved). however, when I had my girl the experience was traumatic to say the least (I wont scare you with the grisly picture) but my son’s delivery was so fast and painless! so there you go… nothing can prepare you for your experience but just go in with an open mind that you gotta reach the goal of holding your baby in your arms at the end of the day!

Tomisin Magz

June 30, 2015 at 12:22 pm

Please o, is it that childbirth for baby girls is more painful than the one for baby boys? As i have heard several women complain about it.

• godess of the earth

July 1, 2015 at 1:34 am

As a mother of a boy and a girl its the same honey. It hurts like hell either way!

5. dior

June 30, 2015 at 9:59 am

Its funny how i was thinking about this same ish this morning

6. jummai

June 30, 2015 at 10:05 am

LOLl at this article, well I had a C section not cause I wanted to, but cause that was the only available option to save my baby at the time, and hell YES the pain after the procedure is something you don’t even want to imagine, but having your baby with you just makes you forget all that. So don’t let anyone scare you, either ways you ll do just fine by the grace of God.

7. yea

June 30, 2015 at 10:06 am

ok…pregnancy is a journey, infact the Igbos greet women who just gave birth “nno” meaning welcome, because you just successfully returned from a journey.

Labour is something else, for me that usually had menstrual pain, labour pain was unimaginable. menstrual pain is like sleep while labour pain is death, i hope you understand the comparison. again, when you’re pushing, that point that the baby slips out of you, i bet you, the world stands still, you actually go to heaven and return with the child. i know this because about 3 people were with me when i was about pushing and by the time the baby was out, they were about 10 people and i did not know when they came into the room. By the way, i took epidural and it’s not that bad, i probably could have gone mad with pain if i wasn’t given that epidural.

As for the cha cha, my dear, the place closed down activity for about 2 months o, it takes some time for the place to heal and get back to normal. i hope i have not scared you Isio.

• Lois

June 30, 2015 at 5:00 pm

Hmmm, your man must have been very understanding and patient. Mine started telling me how sexy I looked after just 2 days of having a baby! I almost screamed in disbelief. With all the kangaroo pouch, sour cha-cha, massive boobies with painful nipples. The guy wanna still do me. I gave in after 4 days(I couldn’t even believe myself). I looked at him in disbelief for about 1 month. He just wanted sex all the time and kept vigils with me by watching over the baby.

• Pretty girl

June 30, 2015 at 8:41 pm

@””Lois u and ur husband are some thing else.

• Rufina

August 6, 2015 at 10:44 am

Your husband is da real MVP o jare!!!

8. Grace

June 30, 2015 at 10:21 am

Ceasarean has its disadvantages because you will be bedridden for a while. I practically had strangers bathing me day and night cos I couldn’t do anything for me.

• nnenne

June 30, 2015 at 1:48 pm

Bedridden? Why?
      Due to complications or what?
      What happened to early ambulation, conscious sedation ?
      Are we still in the stone age?

BTW, Isio, pain is very relative!
      Labour is no doubt painful but different people handle it differently.

9. Vic

June 30, 2015 at 10:30 am

Ok Isio you asked for it so brace yourself for my version.
    I was excited when I got pregnant,I was thought that pregnancy comes with vomiting for abt three months,my own wasn’t like that I vomited for all the 40weeks,morning to evening.the doctor gave me medication,but it didn’t work,I remember so well what he said”my dear Vic just live and manage it”. My face and nose was swollen,my neck turned very dark,which hasn’t changed after 8yrs.i couldn’t eat any thing with stew.it was only cassava,coco yam,plaintain and sometimes raw rice.and also Banku.In all this during delivery this child refused to come out,so to the theater I went,after c/s like you described its painful as hell and there is this permanent backache.i had to go through the same process with my second child.i have two boys now and I wish I could have a girl,but my husband says lie,lie because “pregnancy is not my talent”I forgot the spitting double yikes.but anytime I look at my boys ahhhhhhhhh!they are worth all the pains,the vomit,the spits, the darkened neck,the swollen feet and nose,every thing.my younger sister always ask me “will you ever be pretty again”.i tell her my boys will learn very hard and become millionaires in future so they take mummy to see Dr.90210.ll

• bbz

July 2, 2015 at 7:43 pm

AWW @ VIC. lOL. I can totally see you spanking your boys and showing them a picture of yourself and telling them what you went thru during delivery and how they dare not misbehave!

God bless all you Mothers o jare! Una biko!

• Dee

August 6, 2015 at 10:59 am

lmho @ pregnancy is not your talent!!!!

so I have heard women are usually the ones who push for more babies, most times. Is that true?

10. Blackbeauty

June 30, 2015 at 10:30 am

Ah Isio, I was laughing yet horrified at the same time. Not that any of this is news to me, I’m a doctor after all. But you certainly painted very graphic pictures. That episiotomy thing, shall not be done to my cha-cha. I will stab anyone who comes at me with a scissors. Also, no big baby at birth. 2.8 – 3Kg is just fine. Cant have any cute faced 4Kg+ baby tearing my cervix and everything else in between on her way out. Honestly, I have considered opting for elective C/S but the fear of post-op complications, intra-op sef. Vaginal delivery is the safer option oh, we just have to trust Baba God to help us like He did the Hebrews.

• Lois

June 30, 2015 at 5:03 pm

By the time you see pain(not feel it alone), you will be begging your doctor to tear your vjayjay with a saw, just to let the baby come out and pain go away. Seems you don’t even understand

• Alero

July 1, 2015 at 10:13 am

Saw!!!!Lois you are on another level of craze. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. neo

June 30, 2015 at 10:32 am

Can i rub shea butter on it? Lmao! A lot of these things you think you can never do, the strength and love just comes from nowhere. I was a staunch member of team i will never suck catarrh from any tiny human’s nose, after all oyinbos dont do it. do their babies die? Then last week i was babysitting my 16 month old niece, poor thing had a blocked nose and the pitiful way she was breathing ehn i had already carried her to suck the thing and next thing her Mom came home. See as i refunded her the baby fast fast ehn and said Oya suck it! Talk about saved by the bell. As for childbirth i plan to do it with plenty prayers and a big ole helping of an epidural!

• Shalsl

June 30, 2015 at 3:18 pm

If you choose to do it the white people way then off course you needed to have had the necessary tools like nasal apirator or nasal suction bulb with a nasal saline spray for when its dry, they a cheap as well.. Because white people dont use their mouths doesn’t mean they use anything.

12. jane

June 30, 2015 at 10:35 am

I had two normal delivery,the pain is really out of this world,the worst part for me is when I got thirsty n they wouldn’t give me water,I tot I would die of thirst coupled with the unending pain.talking abt our cha cha,mine was wide open for the student doc to stitch when he told me I should wait cos he wants to take a drink,during the time he was taking the drink,other student doc were coming to take a look at my thing to know how badly I tore,hmmm….who cared when I was just thanking God the pain was gone n my little one was here,tooo excited to care.

13. Mz Socially Awkward...

June 30, 2015 at 10:37 am

Isio, nwa nne m… biko shift on that your bench, let me join you in giving meaningful side-eyes to all my wonderful pals who’re mothers. This was the exact topic we were animatedly discussing in someone’s kitchen just this past Sunday and after the graphic details started pouring forth, if you see how the mede mede floating around in my bowl of peppersoup gradually lost their appeal, ehn… *still side-eyeing them*

However, the revelation that caused me to literally drop my bowl and clutch my own “down-below” in empathy was hearing that in Naija, they don’t give women general anaesthetic before cutting their cha-cha. EEEEHHHHNNNNNNN??????????????? Say again??????? I just couldn’t deal.

Bring on the pain as long as Olympus can stay perky afterwards and I can regain my flat midsection; I reject varicose veins and the requirement for a caesarean with my whole being (my mum had 4 C-sections… I twale for her, mennnn). Can’t even tell a lie – sometimes, I see good reason for the use of surrogate mums to by-pass all of the pain, body-changes, etc. … except that I know there’s an indescribable, mysterious joy about carrying your own baby from conception all the way to the labour ward (if you’re medically able to) that I don’t want to miss out on. And if God brings it to pass, I will enter that Israelite journey twice, following which na adoption for any other pikins abeg. But men really got the best part of this nature’s deal, sha….

• ChicadimplesNG

June 30, 2015 at 12:02 pm

Nne, they didn’t give me o, d pain can cause madness!
      Heard its better that way, makes d “tear” heal faster.

• doye

June 30, 2015 at 1:39 pm

My “under” was cut and sewn but I didn’t feel the pain because I was given anaesthesia in the area, to numb the vaginal muscles. So, yes, they do give anaesthesia before “sewing up”.

• amaa

June 30, 2015 at 1:44 pm

A mild Anastasia is given around the area of the vagina before it is stitched like the one used to numb your gum by dentists. It wears off after maybe an hour that’s why some women feel that no anastecia was used but I can assure you in Nigeria they do use . Plus its not everyone that has to be stitched(Vagina) unless there is a tear or the woman requests for it. A C section is crucified for no reason because we have shamed women who out of choice or due to risk of the mother or child it chosen. The scar of CS is so tiny now that after a couple of years you will be searching for it. 1 week is the maximum time any doctor in Nigeria will give you if you do CS unless you need to be monitored or your baby has some issues. By the third week post delivery you can start light exercises like walking . Which ever you choose modern technology has made such that the gap of differences that exists between then have literately vanished.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 1, 2015 at 2:03 pm

In support of all women facing the cutting and stitching of their respective cha-cha’s, I’m glad to hear that I may have been incorrectly informed about anaesthesia being withheld. The women who told me were adamant though, don’t know if different practices happen in General (Teaching) Hospitals and the numerous private ones…

As for my comment regarding caesareans, apologies if it sounds like I was shaming any one for opting to go in that direction. Never had an operation in my life and am unashamed to be identified as that girl who will gladly swallow a basin-load of pills to avoid being injected. I hate syringes (HATE THEM) and all other medical sharp objects designed to invade your body… so I will always be terrified of having a caesarean, no matter how much more advanced medicine has become from the time my mother endured her own travails in the labour ward.

Although, who knows? Maybe when the almighty day arrives, I might be too far gone with pain to even care whether they’re using wire cutters to get that bambino out of me… 🙂

• chu

August 22, 2015 at 3:27 pm

Dark, you do not feel the cut at all, cos the baby is alrready stretching your vjay. Its when the stitching is done that they give pain killers.
      But some nurses are lazy abs give a cut even when you don’t need it, I was cut and my baby weighed just 2.5. Go figure. Was still thanking God it was all moved when I heard, ‘I had to cut you or you would have torn’ geez, who gets a tear with a baby that tiny, but the deed was done nothing to do but brace up. But my darling is worth the pain.

14. penny

June 30, 2015 at 10:38 am

As Mo said, everyone has their own experience, for my first one, it was a 24hr labour, painful (and my hubby did not help matters..hehe), the ring of fire around your hoo haa when you are pushing, mehn. The episiotomy was not painful but I could not feel my clitoris for about a month, like I was circumcised. I had abdominal separation (diastasis recti), cos i carried by pregnancy on all front, I still look five months pregnant even after a year, my body alignment changed, hips became extra wide. Pregnancy and Childbirth takes a toll on your body.

15. The real D

June 30, 2015 at 10:46 am

God has not blessed me with a kid yet (hopefully soon) Nevertheless, wow this was somewhat graphic. An acquaintance who is a nurse once advised that i go the CS route because natural she said is too gory and yes she mentioned the poop situation, I will let them “chook” me epidural ooo, I know many ladies that I’ve gone this route and no one has complained, infact, they encourage it. My late sister went natural for my niece though not by choice, she did not realise she was in labor on time. By the time she got to the hospital she was fully dilated and went to the hospital on her own strength, by the time her hubby got the gate (was going to bring bag) baby don pop out but she said does 10 minutes were the most painful of our life and sure felt like an eternity. She did not even get a choice with epidural or CS, she had to go natural because she was far along already.

16. nammy

June 30, 2015 at 10:46 am

I have heard childbirth is very painful, i have also heard of all the horrors of childbirth like the” igbe” and other associated things. Despite all these, i am still determined to pick traditional over ceaseran when the time comes. There was this time my mum used to come home and share labour stories with us (she is a nurse).
    one woman was not yet fully dilated but she just wanted to push so the baby could come out and she could rest, her doctor told her it was not yet time to push then she broke into a song
    Patient-” my doctor, i feel like pushing”, the doctor sang back to her ”
    Doctor-“My patient, do not push yet”
    Patient- “if i push now, what will happen”
    Doctor- “”if you push now, you will lacerate”
    all the nurses and other doctors present burst out laughing at their little drama.

• Color riot

June 30, 2015 at 4:55 pm

Am dead!!!!!!lmaoooo….good song composer….rolling on d road!!!

17. AeeGee

June 30, 2015 at 10:49 am

Legs crossed. Lord have mercy.

18. The real D

June 30, 2015 at 10:49 am

On another note ooo..ok why do we have to tie our belle after child birth. See this oyinbo people, the very next month their belles are flat like Table tennis table… I have seen it time and time again and they tie nothing!!! So how come my people???

• MC

June 30, 2015 at 12:15 pm

They also don’t sit on hot water.

• TA

June 30, 2015 at 1:07 pm

It all depends on the individual’s pre-pregnancy weight, how flat her stomach is before childbirth, how big her pregnancy got etc. And remember that diet plays a big role too. Our mothers would have us believe pepper soup and pounded yam is the best meal for a new mother. So how the belle wan take flat o? Lol 🙂

• Bosola

June 30, 2015 at 2:03 pm

they exercise…and they dont tie their bellies with wrapper like we do, they have this special tummy wrap they use, iv seen it. anyway these “oyinbo” people exercise during pregnancy and immediately after

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 1, 2015 at 2:13 pm

My boss’ wife ehn…. every time I see her, I sigh with envy. Lepacious oyibo woman like that and she almost literally had her babies back-to-back (first baby was 3 months old when she got pregnant with baby number 2). I don’t even know how the body bounced back after both pregnancies but she is seriously on point.

Used to think it was an oyibo thing but have now come to know some Naija babes who’re also as skinny after two kids themselves. One in particular is a size 6 and I don’t know how her body does it after each pregnancy but she’s not added an ounce of weight in motherhood. In fact, I think it’s her husband who’s been acquiring her portion of the pregnancy weight because he’s definitely doubled in size since they got together…. So it must be a genealogical asset.

19. Nappynekkx

June 30, 2015 at 10:50 am

Lol…. Interesting read, some expressions were quite hilarious while most of it was extremely scary, even as a mother of 1.
    Like Mo rightly said, no 2 pregnancies/birthing experiences are the same even by same woman/mother. That’s how wonderful God is in his creation.
    In my case, i had to undergo a Caesarean not because i chose to from the on-set bu as a result of conditions that developed during the pregnancy. Quite frankly, i was all for the traditional way even though older cousins and friends who had earlier experiences advised to be open-minded, this i think was the best advise i got so far as many have lost their lives trying to prove to the whole world that they are the “real women” simply cos they birthed traditionally.
    Now to the reason i had a Caesarean, i had a fairly normal pregnancy till i was 7 months along when my BP rose unreasonably high, i’m talking 180/100 and upwards infact for each time i attended ante-natal my nurses and doctors always wondered how i made it to attend to my daily routine. Even after administering many anti-hypertensive medications the BP would only reduce slightly but eventually sky rocket. So i had to go on bed rest and was managed till my term date and the decision to Operate was reached as anything otherwise wud result in a shock or something unimaginable thereby depriving me of experiencing the joy of motherhood on the long run.
    Yes, the days after the surgery are painful and very discomforting, the pain from the stitches and the PLENTIOUS meds u have to swallow to ensure proper healing of the op site. You also have to take care of the site so as to prevent infection and all of that. I wasn”t able to exercise till about 4 months after birth, and you cant tie your tummy till about 6 months post-op but eventually you would catch up with the rest of the Natural gang.
    Well, at the very end of the day, the aim is to behold that cute bundle of joy that would change your life forever by which ever means. Whichever suits you and your body/health, and i don”t women who went the untraditional way a lesser women, you don’t know what their stories are/were. But if i were to choose, I’d go caeserean over and over again.

• Lol

June 30, 2015 at 4:28 pm

There’s now surgical glue which works wonders. My scar is just a faint, flat line. Barely visible. No stitches thank God!

20. kemi

June 30, 2015 at 10:52 am

Looool u got me at igbe!! Very funny write up. No kids yet but i think I’m going in with an open mind when the time comes.

• Ada Nnewi

June 30, 2015 at 11:39 am

I died at hibiscus plant! LMAO! Will come back to read when the office is empty…I laughed like a hyena…Isio take yah time!

21. Bella

June 30, 2015 at 10:58 am

“No girdle. It’s not the same. Traditional method is better. Use three wrappers. One up, one down, one in the middle, tied tighttttttttttttttttly! You will definitely need your mother.” You think?!… I just died here and now! LOLLEST!! If I may ask, why cant you just get a tummy tuck after the C- section and then avoid the 3 wrappers

22. Bella

June 30, 2015 at 10:59 am

Sorry I meant to say before the C-section

23. Mama Dammy

June 30, 2015 at 10:59 am

Isio on a scale of 1-10 the pain is 100! You cant begin to imagine it or describe it. Its like all the merves in your brain clash together and sparks just go off continously.
    I had my 3 children through natural deliveries and i tell you the pain cannot be descibed in this world. For my 1st child, labour lasted for 16 hours…..and for my last it lasted for about 3 hours but just as painful…..and no, you dont forget the pain immediately you carry your baby in your arms. I think the relief of bringing the child out overshadows the memory of the pain.
    Abeg lets not even talk about the condition of the cha cha after delivery. Its never the same again. Cut or no cut.

• MC

June 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm

It’s not just relief. It’s a hormone that is released, which makes you forget.
      Ever heard the term ‘pregnancy brain’?

24. kehinde

June 30, 2015 at 11:00 am

wow this is scary . mummy thank you

25. UGO

June 30, 2015 at 11:03 am

Isio you just killed me oh. I am expecting my first child and trying to read up on everything about pregnancy, giving birth and babies and even watching videos. It can be a coincident that you ended up with this topic this morning oh. I have been flinching and scared with all the information learnt and seen, now I ended up reading yours, kai wahala oh!!

• ebunoluwa

June 30, 2015 at 12:17 pm

You don’t have to be scared, labour pain is painful but bearable. All you need do is to keep praying to God for safe delivery.

26. Anita

June 30, 2015 at 11:24 am

Chai Isio you have made me laugh so hard this mornin lol, your expressions are so hilarious. Back to the matter pregnancy and childbirth is really interesting, no two pregnancies are the same. Is different stroke for different women, i have colleagues that are sick from the first day of taking in to the last day i.e till delivery. The delivery session too traumatizing for them too, yet there are some that are as fit as a fiddle from conception till delivery as a matter of fact i have this friend that does not feel any pain at all during labour once her water breaks the next thing the baby comes out in just 10mins her labour and delivery is over. As for me i have 3 kids and all through Elective Cesarean i.e it was not an act of emergency, i opted for it my babies keeps lying breech and i don’t want the turning of baby thing as some advised that if a baby is not well positioned, the baby can be turned by Dr or some so called traditional belly massagers for pregnant women. I didn’t want to take any chances so i opted for CS for the 1st and 2nd and since i have had 2 previous CS automatically the 3rd has to be CS too. I am given a date to come to the hospital, i come in 2 days before the C-section and i get discharged 5 days after. I have not gone through labour before so i can’t say much about it, but with CS is an easy delivery for me the C-section lasts between 30-mins for my baby to come out, am stitched up and out of the theater. I get home take things easy the pain goes gradually and the scar heals. With CS it also depend on individual and body because i have seen people that there pain takes longer to go and scars too. We as individuals our pain threshold differs and because of use of some beauty products or creams the skin becomes very tender that healing of scars takes a while. Some skins are even so bad that the scar keeps opening and Dr’s keeps re-stitching.

27. Noms

June 30, 2015 at 11:31 am

Let the comments roll in . . .
    I feel very unease sha
    God dey

28. cccat

June 30, 2015 at 11:39 am

Nothing, nothing ever prepares u for the pain. And like they say no two pregnancies are same! Pain scale 1-10 the pain was 100; even though I kept expecting a higher pain because of these kind of stories. It was painful alright but I could handle it. As for the chacha…I got 3stiches, had to sit on hot steam, my mother tied my stomach just once and I thot the cha was going to tear again. I said abeg….i no do. I used the postpartum belts, regular exercise and I was back as new…

29. Grace

June 30, 2015 at 11:40 am

Hmmmm na wa o. This really scared the life outta me, I am TTC for the past 8 months month but then i had myomectomy last September and i was adviced after it that i will be having my baby(by God’s grace)via CS i cant have a normal delivery. I dont know but waiting till then sha.
    But na wa o(still thinking)smh.

30. divea

June 30, 2015 at 11:46 am

Hmmmm… It’s really scary when you hear all these stories. Sometimes i wish the egg and sperm will be fused and kept in the incubator to grow and voila…a baby. But alas it is not so. I once visited a friend at the hospital when she put to bed and saw how painful child birth can be. One woman was rolling on the floor even the nurses could not hold her. This was before the pushing oooo. As someone rightly said, God will give all women the Grace to give birth like the Hebrew women. I say BIG Amen to that.

31. Tkum

June 30, 2015 at 11:51 am

i am speechless…sitting on the edge of my chair reading this and the comments…well, for me i will go with the traditional. shebi i heard that wen u r preggie, u shud allow ur man do d do n continue to do the do so as to allow a free flow of the child during labour at childbirth. abi dis analysis no dey work too?

• Queen of Everything

June 30, 2015 at 12:56 pm

It depends on the kind of pregnancy you have, you might not want your husband anywhere near you. you might be “lucky” and experience a heightened libido. Wising you all the best for when the time comes 🙂

32. melinda

June 30, 2015 at 11:53 am

thank you Isio….. I so prefer natural way of delivery, i remember when my mum had my kid sister thru CS she went thru alot of pains and processes before the scar was able to heal……… i believe when i get to that bridge i am so going to cross it all the way to natural child birth…. good luck to all expecting mums out there……..

33. Jane Public

June 30, 2015 at 12:04 pm

Knocking on the door of 40 weeks, I should NOT have read this. I have nightmares already, but i can’t wait to be done with this pregnancy. I literally look like a beached whale and snapped at my husband this morning for telling me i looked beautiful. Beautiful kwa, like seriously!!!! I love you to bits, but right now, I am not in the mood to be hearing sweet nothings. Your daughter must be having daily meetings with my kidneys to retain water, because every part of my body is swollen. For someone who barely gained weight at all, these last two weeks, I have tripled in size. My sister says i am imagining things, but i swear i can hear water squish around in my body as I move. I sure as heck don’t feel beautiful. Birthing plan is to have an Epidural. Aint no way I am going through that kind of pain. I was there for my second niece and Le Sis had an Epidural. This woman was still texting up until the later stages of labour. If push comes to shove, OB/GYN has ben told to do a C Section. There’s the added bonus of getting a mini tummy tuck at the same time too. Lord knows, when I heard that, I screamed, where do I sign up.

Tomisin Magz

June 30, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Lmao @ beached whale. Pele dear, the Lord is your strength. All will be well with you and the baby

• whocares

June 30, 2015 at 1:07 pm

Awww. Congratulations!!!!!! I have some spectacular pregnancy related jokes. You want to hear them? 😛 looool. (dives for cover)

• Jane Public

June 30, 2015 at 4:05 pm

ha, tell me those jokes, and run veeeeeery far. I have become very grouchy, it’s this extra weight i am carrying around. most women have had months to deal with it, i only got two weeks notice. Thanks everyone for your comments. Lifted my mood. hopefully it will stay on a high before i bite my husband’s head off. lol

• ShineShineShine

June 30, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Take it easy Ladies, it’s all worth it. I specifically never wanted a virgina birth right from when l became aware. The first time, my baby decided she wanted to come in her own time so, we had an emergency C-Section. The second time, it was a C-Section still but l had epidural in my spine. I was awake all thru and my male friend stood there (Le Hubby travelled for work) and saw the baby pulled out.. I was chatting to the young guy who gave the epidural and all l felt was pop – as the baby was pulled out. I had Chinese rice about thirty minutes later. Bliss. Two weeks after l was good. Your pain threshold determines how fast you are back on your feet. Plus make sure you take your antibiotics.

Anyday, anytime na C-Section get me o. I cannot imagine a baby coming out of that place o. I bow for women who do. If you want your head chopped off, tell me one is normal and the other isn’t. Who cares. The important thing is that baby is well and mother is alive. I cannot do Hebrew woman o. That was how in church during prayers for pregnant women, some warrior decided to pray against C-Section, me, l refused to say Amen as l already know what l want and had sign up for.

How some women refuse to used that grey thing in their skull beats me especially when baby is too big to come out of the VG. I have heard silly excuses from its is not normal to my in-laws will say l am not a real woman. Ha! Pls. tell me, what could be more woman than to carry a human being in your womb.

• shopperoflife

June 30, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Elective C-Section all day any day. I can’t shout. Olympus fall, no problem. Finnish with having your babies and fix it. Tummy too big, saggy and wont go back to status quo? Fix it. There is so much out there with the advent of technology. Breast lift is not life threatening and no biggies. There is absolutely no reason why a woman cannot have it all. I for one believe in nip and tuck. A little here, a little there. Why switch off the lights when you want to do the do just because you have gone through the right of passage?

Happy mummy, happy household.

• TA

June 30, 2015 at 1:11 pm

@ Jane Public lol @ the tummy tuck bonus too. You ain’t lied dear. That is a HUGE incentive! Me sef go run sign up. lol Epele o, Ndo o! You will be fine 🙂 best wishes.

• Fashionista

June 30, 2015 at 2:53 pm

LOL! Wishing you a safe and stress free (as much as possible) delivery.

• Blackbeauty

June 30, 2015 at 9:58 pm

Safe delivery Jane Public and a fabulous post baby bod.

• Aral

July 1, 2015 at 1:46 pm

Mini tummy tuck? Abeg where are u? What. Hospital are you using and who’s your Doc? Plenty Q I know but help a fellow newly preggy out.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 1, 2015 at 2:27 pm

40 weeks? You’re very close, woman! And this is the first I’ve heard of the optional tummy tuck, is that an Americo sumtin?? Well, why not, if not? 🙂

May God’s mercies keep you and baby S healthy and safe as the date draws near, luv. And let the man support as he knows best, biko, he’s probably feeling culpable for leaving you to carry the “physical evidence of sex” (as someone once delicately put it) whilst he has remained relatively unencumbered during these 9 long months… 😀 xx

• Truth Teller

August 6, 2015 at 4:54 pm

@Jane public, the candy in my mouth nearly fell out due to laughter. Congratulations darling! ( and all other BN expectant mothers). Interesting topic. I’m almost32, not married ( hoping to next year) but I hope that when child birth comes, I’ll have a traditional delivery. If CS is the only other option, why not? As long as mother and bab (y) (ies) are in good health and sound mind!

34. Zeebby

June 30, 2015 at 12:13 pm

The scariest thing is the fact that you must push nd baby must come out even through the pain. I wish it was transferable…. ill just carry the first five months and then hand over to my husband…. by the time he hits the 9th month I go just disappear.

35. Lola

June 30, 2015 at 12:13 pm

Please i had my baby girl about a year ago and i haven’t forgotten the pregnancy, labour, delivery and post-delivery…….. Lol.. I dread another pregnancy and delivery. lol. Not to scare anyone i was in labour from Thursday and had my lovely angel on Saturday morning after almost two days. Oh where do i start from…. I had a natural delivery and it was not easy at all. The pain was indescribable!!! And yes i was cut with that wonderful scissors and i didn’t feel the pain that was how painful labour was. I was stitched, and it wasn’t so bad. Now to the good part, after delivery and stitching and cleaning up, i walked to my room and i was ok, just very tired. By the next day i was strong so that is a plus in natural delivery. I also didn’t have any stretch marks and my stomach was flat within 2 weeks thanks to the breast feeding (i was a UK size 16 b4 pregnancy so i am plump not slim at all). But now i am down to size 14. My mother was brutal. She used hot water to press my body and massage me for 6 weeks. Breastfeeding and all its horrors passed me by. It wasn’t so painful, i had an amazing nurse. She saved me from being engorged and helped me express the milk in those early days.. All in all, you have to do what is best for you. My labour progressed especially when my water broke on Friday evening. If the labour is not progressing please have a C.S. Also you need to have a scan of your pelvic area (i had mine at 37weeks) to be sure you can actually deliver naturally and save yourself and baby.

36. Yetunde

June 30, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Isio baby…. this is my first time commenting, though i have been a silent fan of yours for a while but i just could not let this post pass me by. I am a mother of twin girls and the pregnancy and delivery is not something i will forget in a hurrry, from morning sickness to swollen ankles, I spat all through the pregnancy, i don’t even know how i survived the 8months.
    My delivery experience is not as gory as that of most women and i am being honest, from a scale of 1-10, i will give it a 4 because of the stitching palaver. My water broke in the morning at work and i delivered the next day around 11am. I was immediately admitted because of my broken water but labour abi contractions no gree hold me o, i started praying for contractions because i was just tired of lying down on that uncomfortable labour bed, all around me women were moaning in pain, na so i dey take side eye look them. I was paying so much attention to my body just to if i am in labour, i called the nurse severally that i wanted to poo,but nothing came out. Eventually,i started feeling light cramps which was increasing gradually and i really wanted it to come 5 mins apart so it an be over, i called the attention of the doc,he looked at me and said nah you still have a long way to go,later the cramps increased and i noticed that if i raise my legs up, i will feel relieved, na so idey open yansh yakata for there o , i no even send anybody, one of the nurses saw me and came to check me against the doc’s advice that no one should do so to avoid infection, he was now like madam you are fully dilated now, why didn’t you call anybody, i told them i called and they said i can’t be ready,also seeing the way the other women were screaming and the pain i imagined from stories,it did not add up to what i was experiencing.
    they prepped me for delivery, the matron wanted to cut me the the doctor said no that my baby was small, the first one came out, as i breathed a sigh of relieve thinking of when the second will come, immediately they said the second one is ready,they noticed she was coming out with her hand and she was bigger than the first, na so she use her big head and hand tear my toto, meaning i needed stitching…..

Chai chai…see long epistle, let me just stop here but the cha cha no be the same after childbirth o

37. Yaakoyo

June 30, 2015 at 12:16 pm

Isio, my girl no fear at all!!! I have both CS and natural and here are my experiences.
    16 years ago – My 1st (a boy) was because I a condition called placenta previa; anyway let’s just say that Morphine is a very good thing, it was God’s special compensation to me through a very good Nigerian Anaesthisologist!! Fast forward 8-10 hours after the operation! (You need to stop the morphine because of breastfeeding) Cheii Jisoxx the pain no be here!!! See Jesus, Mary and Joseph sit down with chair they pray for me, I think say na die, but by evening I was walking around but was subjected to 5 days of Wayfarin in the hospital, plus suppository to empty the bowels.

9 and 7 years ago
    2nd and 3rd babies were both VBAC (after plenty prayer begging God), 3 – 4 hours labour 2nd baby born after 67minutes arrival at hospital, 3rd after 30 mins arrival. Down side had minor tears because of incompetent midwife, however I was home within 4 hours for both, Heaven!!!! By lunch time I was swallowing some ofe nsala, sitting in my living room watching telly

Would do it all again in a heartbeat

38. Nne

June 30, 2015 at 12:27 pm

I just CS done about 4 months ago, it was done under general anesthesia so no epidural choking, I was able to walk about 20 hours after the surgery , took my bath by my self the next day and took care of my baby too.
    But I could not eat what I liked for a while and when I went back to my regular diet, “I was dinning with constipation” for about a month.
    CS is painful, I agree but one has to be strong so one can heal fast. Exclusive breastfeeding helps to reduce the tummy size. I also tied my tummy a week after the operation.
    If I have to choose again I would have another CS ans save my self from prolonged labour, episiotomy, drama associated with contractions(I had a taste of that),avoid my mother in law using boiling water to massage me . . .lol

• been there

June 30, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Nne please did your doctor approve this tummy tieing biko? is it not painful, has your tummy reduced?i had my CS 3months ago and the doctor forbade any type of tieing or girdle. i wore tight only after 2months and stopped when i started feeling pains on my suture.

• Temi

June 30, 2015 at 1:48 pm

I had CS for my first child and waited 4 months to have my tummy tied…eventually lost the tommy fat2 years later.
      Had a second CS for baby number two, one week 5 days ago. Started tying tummy about five days after surgery and the results have been great…I feel okay but been worried that am tying too early…seeing your post just gave me the needed confidence to go on with it. thanks.

39. me12u

June 30, 2015 at 12:35 pm

Isio no be like this na. I couldnt read on, stopped at the first few paragraphs.
    Hard to imagine all the pains women go through at child birth.

#Mummieee m, I understand and will always love you.

40. babym

June 30, 2015 at 12:37 pm

Cheeiiii Abassii!! Im 7 months preggars and have been freaking out about labour and delivery and then GBAM!! Isio drops this on me!!! chai I don die. warrisalldis nowww lolol. My own birth plan is that God will just come and the world will just end, let us kukuma be going to heaven b4 we experience the pain of labour hehehe. Iv already had a very traumatic pregnancy, hospitalised for 5 weeks and what not, throwing up up to 10 times a day, mumsi had the same traumatic pregnancy and said the delivery for all of us was very quick and easy. Sooo I have made a deal with God that for going through such torture in pregnancy, the delivery must be easy o (no be only me waka come lol) Hmm I don’t know why I shall feel like caesarean will be less torturous than natural birth lol.

• adaeze

June 30, 2015 at 7:22 pm

you will be strong and lively like the Hebrew women in Jesus name.

41. Dr. N

June 30, 2015 at 12:40 pm

Well, a positive mindset helps u get thru preg & delivery without complications.
    1. Many girls younger than I am have done it
    2. I am in reasonably good health
    3. I am in good hands
    4. This is the time for God to answer all the prayers I have prayed over 9 months
    5. I expect things to go well
    These are some of the thoughts I had for 3 babies now. The last one was so painless I was literally laughing in the delivery room. It’s good to know the experiences of others but, u can determine that yours will be easy as pie

• neloh

June 30, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Bless you Dr. N.
      I tell myself these too.
      I am pregnant with my first and I keep saying millions of women have done it. I can do it.
      I reject fear.

42. TA

June 30, 2015 at 1:03 pm

@ LOL, I feel you ojare. I was (un)fortunate to witness a dear cousin’s child birth and because her son was huge (Dude weighed 4.2kgs at birth!) her kini had to be cut open. Apparently,she didn’t dilate enough but the doctors went ahead and cut her down there, till today I can still hear the sickening sound the scissors made cutting through what I assume is cartilage. She screamed in a heart wrenching manner. I ran out and retched but didn’t throw up. My mind went numb and I was covered in goose bumps for the rest of the day. And I was not let back into the delivery room. Doctors said I could not handle it. Lol My sister (who was still in the delivery room) later told me that the worse part is when the placenta comes out. It makes a slurping noise as if all the woman’s entrails are coming out. So now, when I see a pregnant woman. Especially the hugely pregnant woman, I go out of my way to assist her! I always find myself wondering, how are you going to bring out this huge baby? Child birth whether through vagina or CS is tough. Being a woman is tough. Menstruation and all its issues is tough. Heck! being a woman is tough.
    And Bruce Jenner thinks he can play at being a woman just because he can afford breast implants and makeup? smh

• Bosola

June 30, 2015 at 2:12 pm

your comment scared me more than the article itself…Jesus…cartilage? o0h lawd..

43. whocares

June 30, 2015 at 1:06 pm

Dear Isio and fellow morrars. You have scared the living daylight out of me. ehn, Kileleyi. I am sat at my office desk eyes wide, mouth slightly (only slightly) open, clutching my thighs and honestly my heart is beating too fast for its own good. Torn vajayjays, no what’s that thing called again, that reduces the pain (see I cannot even think of word), and I have only read the top 10 comments! To all mother’s here. I salute you. Let me go and text my mom sharply and send the same love her way. Choi! Hopefully the rest of the comments are full of good tidings.
    That said, is it true they make you sit on a bucket of hot water after child birth? My aunt just told me that. Something about the steam healing the vag? That cant be right. right?
    Infact, let me forward this link to my little cousin. LOOL.

• Blackbeauty

June 30, 2015 at 10:07 pm

No it isn’t right. In many cases, it’s responsible for breakdown of sutures. All you need do is keep the area clean and dry, and take your meds.

44. M&

June 30, 2015 at 1:15 pm

wow, pregnancy stories. scary but sweet! so I have 2 little girls, came out at 2.9 and 2.7kg, I got d veins just above my hips by the sides of my tummy and great dark stretchies during the first one, but the second one a year later surprisingly cleared them a lot. my babies come flying out, not too long labour, but mehn, d pain HITS MY BRAIN, STRAIGHT! coupled with bp of 150/160 over 100/110! I can endure shaa, so no too much shouting, doc at my 2nd delivery was looking at me l ike, what can I do for you? ‘I’m having contractions!’ this is like 10pm o, and he says, really? he didn’t believe me. he came up and saw me dozing off in d labour ward in between contractions, and he said, I don’t think this madam is serious, and then told d nurse to help me with 10cc of oxytocin. b4 she can get herself 2gether to set up the thing, I’m shouting ‘this baby is coming out o!’ they’re like, its too early, u came in by 10 at 6cm and its after 11, it takes 4 hours to dilate 2 cm. ok u want me to be screaming abi? so they finally agree to just ‘check’ and baby jumps out at them (at 11.50)! yay! but the tears down there, shaa! oya, sewing begin! they give these injections that don’t work to numb anything so the sewing is live! another 15-20 minutes of shouting! down there takes weeks to heal, but oga is not patient like that o! other stories: my labourward mate at my first baby had her baby’s head visible for like 4 hours and baby was not forthcoming, the screaming was terrible. and the lady at my second baby said she had been there since yesterday, she was induced (after 2 weeks overdue) and having contractions but no dilation, till the next day again (i.e. after 2 days of ‘inducement’)! then they had to do a CS, and when she came out no movement, no eating, she was just ‘there’ for like 48 hours before she could move. grandma was feeding the baby with water and glucose, even after she started moving, she refused to breastfeed baby bcos the pain from d cut was much. she said they should have saved her the stress of 3 days and just cut her open from the first day. My younger sis was busy taking pictures of herself when her water burst! and in less than 1 hour after shouting the whole street down, she had her baby, no cut. I know of another scary CS story….d lady was not dilating, doc says they have to cut, lady said ‘its not her portion, her pastor did not tell her so’, to and fro till its almost too late. when they eventually do, baby is distressed, mother is distressed, she was cut badly without adequate anaesthesia bcos of the last minute rush. then her skin started reacting to the cut, the wound would not heal, puss was coming out, they had to insert catheter in her tummy to be bringing out greenish stuff! hey! infact her survival is still a mystery, she was in the hospital for over a month. so on a scale of 1 – 10, I agree a 100. but yesterday my daughter was playing with my tummy and she touched the stretchie lines, and I asked her what’s that? and she said, ‘its wound, sorry’…and I smiled. I guess the kids make it all worth the wahala!

45. Maureen

June 30, 2015 at 1:18 pm

oooooooooooooooooooo boi. As you said, the pain is out of this world my sister. Its like you are about to bring out something bigger than you. Though mine was quite easy, i didn’t have to push. One push and my little angel was out. Well, for me i think it depends on the woman and her spouse. With CS and all its complications, noooooooooo way and even with vaginal delivery, the doktor might stitch your cha cha wrongly. But i will go for vaginal birth. Breastfeeding is an amazing experience and it helps you bond with your baby. My baby could recognize my voice at 1month plus, that was so cool.
    The sitting on hot water wasn’t funny at all o. that was another gruesome experience, but all in all, i love holding my baby. Enjoy

46. been there

June 30, 2015 at 1:23 pm

There is nothing wrong with a C-section. I never planned for it. at the last minute my baby decided to relax, face up not breech, the doctor said no amount of waiting or induction would save me from a c-section. plus i have the best doctor ever. i bless God for my mum especially and the help from family, you will need it trust me.

one thing i know is ‘who no go, no know’. Isio even all these stories will not prepare you for the actual experience. I thought watching ‘one born every minute’ on youtube would give me additional heads up (plus my mum intentionally did not tell me all the painful things to come). if you are one who likes to do things for yourself, you will hate a c-section. they put a catether in u to pee, the pain is riduculous, the amount of pills, IV, injections i had to take chai. and i was begging for it. also the cost implication was another annoying thing especially since my baby was not breech through my pregnancy, we did not plan to spend that much money.

i hate my post partum pouch although i”m 7kg lighter from my pre-pregnancy weight.. i resumed work last week and dressing up is hard. but i look at my daughter and take it as my battle scar and thank God. one thing i know is the number of kids i claimed i would have all these years has reduced.

47. Jenebu

June 30, 2015 at 1:24 pm

I read your stories each week but I have to comment on this. I had my baby 2 months ago and I can tell you labour is not funny. If you are not careful you will poop but the pain na die . Just know that every woman has a different experience. I would take natural birth over CS any day. It took me 15 mins to birth my child. The Dr had to beg me not to push cause he wasn’t ready but I was.

48. Zizii Luccii

June 30, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Chai……This post has just made my belly to do a backflip 10 times. Though I’ve not experienced childbirth, I was with my aunt when she birthed her baby sometime ago. Infact, I think I felt some of the pain because the way she was wincing and crying ehnnn, hmm. She was actually begging the baby to come out aloud. When I got back home and told my mum the story, she just smiled and said ‘ nne that has served as your first lesson’ lol. God bless women, its not easy abeg.

49. scared as f*ck

June 30, 2015 at 1:33 pm

I will go for d Natural birth method biko……my aunty nearly died after CS

50. momo

June 30, 2015 at 1:33 pm

also had 2 cs. started tying my stomach after 2 days.

51. Olla

June 30, 2015 at 2:39 pm

My first post here, hmmn!!!! just yesterday i was thinking about the many unshared journeys of motherhood. No matter how Isio describes or what rating you are given. Nothing absolutely prepares you for the journey. I am a mama of 3, had all via CS, not because i want to, it but medical emergency. I never experienced actual labour, but i know enough to know that it’s the worst possible pain ever. My mum used to compare the pain of labour with when you have wick-low (not sure of the spelling), and you accidentally hit the ‘wick-low finger against a hard surface. The momentary but very sharp pain you feel, now imagine having that for a long period…hours in most cases. My midwife once said its no doubt painful, and that’s why its called LABOUR. Okay back to me, i had different experiences with all 3. I got infected after 2 weeks, my tummy went back to normal without any tying whatsoever. 2nd was hitch-free, the 3rd one, i had an internal injury and had to go in for another surgery to correct it. The scar opened up due to coughing and sneezing ( a side effect of the anesthetics) I’d typically say CS is better, but then, nothing is certain. As with normal delivery things could go south. Natural, Ceasarean none of it is easy, what is important is keeping an open mind,praying for the best and recognising whats best at the time. Goodluck y’all

52. Zayt

June 30, 2015 at 2:43 pm

Lol very interesting read! In my own case, I labored for apprx 10hours. I was given epidural when I was about 5cm dilated but the drip was yanked off at about 8cm coz the epidural was making the contractions come too frequent and baby wasn’t coping well. So it was back to HORRIBLE labour pains (especially my abdomen). Good thing the actual delivery wasn’t so long (about 24mins) but I pooped! Hubby was there and while I was pushing next thing he says “omg baby are u pooping’? Felt like slapping him. lol.
    Also I had an episiotomy but it wasn’t so bad. maybe coz I was still kind of numb from the epidural.

• adaeze

June 30, 2015 at 7:25 pm

“omg baby are u pooping’? chai, i don laff die.

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 1, 2015 at 2:31 pm

Hahahahahahahaha! See JAMB question… Chei, this womanhood na real rite of passage.

53. Queen Spicey

June 30, 2015 at 2:45 pm

This is why surrogacy still remains at the top of my birthing options.

54. Onyinye

June 30, 2015 at 3:19 pm

Well, I have had 2 C sections, and somehow technology has made it a lot easier,you stay in bed for a day or 2, of course there is that cathtre thing that they put in ur cha-cha to catch urine, very uncomfortable. Before women had to stay days before they could eat, actually you had to fart b4 they even give you water, but now you eat by the evening of the next day, the scar is also a lot less noticeable, they sew it up nicely and its done horizontally below your abdomen. I agree, that the recovery is a lot longer than natural birth, but recovery is generally ok, you can still move around and do your light chores after a week, like u can’t work out to loose the baby weight, but one big advantage is that cha-cha remains as tight as ever, so sex feels very much the same :D. I saw the sun, 9 planets and milky way when I was induced the firts time, after 12 hrs of labour, I hadn’t dilated fully, so hubby asked them to section me, make him poor wife rest. So my second child, I remembered my first experience, Nna ehn, I told them to cut the belle abeg, and its pretty interesting cos you stay awake through the process sef, the new spinal anaesthesia just numbs your lower body, so u can even gist with the doctors while you are doing it. Lol, Sorry for the long talk, Childbirth is such a miracle, I can go on and on.

55. St.Yves

June 30, 2015 at 4:05 pm

I had a C-section. Never wanted to do the push-push thingy. My hubby told me months later that he was glad I did cos my “office” remained tight and firm. And let me assure you ladies that you can barely see the scare, technology has advanced. It’s just a little line along the panty top. Thankfully CS means I didn’t have to tie wrapper on my belly or sit a top a potty full of steaming hit water. I started out immediately with breathing exercise every time and everywhere untill I was ready for a proper exercise. So for me, CS wins.

56. Chinwe

June 30, 2015 at 4:11 pm

Isio dear. I heard these stories as well. It was soooo bad that i wished that i was born a boy. I just had my baby 5months ago. I had a stressless pregnancy. Though, i had to be induced my labour lasted just 4hours chikena! i had to put that wan in prayer as people don dey too shout say their labor was for the whole day (afraid made me pray cos i no fit) i have stretch marks even though i didnt scratch but then its worth it just to know my prince is here. :0

57. adelegirl

June 30, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Obviously, I have a thing for self-flagellation cos I should not have read this and the comments especially. I have about 2 more months to go and I have avoided thinking about the actual delivery cos of all the horror stories I have heard about the pain. Before being pregnant, I had sworn I wanted a CS because I do not want to be cut down there! My vagina is tight (or at least feels really tight and small) and these days sex can be torture with the hubby and all I am thinking is if his thingymabob hurts how on earth is a whole baby going to come out of there??? Jesus Christ! I actually teared up just now thinking about it. Lord help me o. Now, I think I don’t want a CS cos I want to heal quickly and exercise and have a flat firm tummy as soon as possible. Please for those who have been cut down there in the process of birthing, does the vagina become loose afterwards, is there a risk that erm “vigorous” sex can tear up the sewn up healed part again? Chai! Too many questions on my mind. But at the end of the day, I just really really want a healthy happy beautiful baby…

In fact ehn, I am off to search for my supernatural childbirth book. I must believe o. I want supernatural pain free childbirth abeg. It can happen. Those who have 30 to 45 mins labour don’t have 2 heads. Ewo ni 16hours, 24hours labour? Tufia! Eees not my portion! *shivers*

• mrs chidukane

June 30, 2015 at 11:48 pm

Hi Adele, I had a natural birth. I’m pregnant with number 2 now anyway. I didn’t do kegels after birth and I had an episiotomy but I think my vagina is just fine. It felt loose at first and the mister would slip out,lol but it got tight after some months. Pregnancy is no joke.

• adelegirl

July 2, 2015 at 9:22 am

Thanks for your assuring words Mrs Chidukane. Wishing you all the very best with baby no 2. 🙂

• Mz Socially Awkward...

July 1, 2015 at 2:42 pm

Hahahaha! Kai, BN needs a “Birth Announcements” section on this site so that we can be getting updates from all our expectant mums. 🙂

My friend told me that she asked for extra stitches down there to keep things nicely tightened, so maybe you can make a similar request to your ob-gyn (even though, me sef no know as I for keep mouth ask that kain thing… said friend had her babies in yankee so maybe they’re more unfazed there). As for the fear, I think you should do what Doc N. wrote a bit farther up about making affirmations and confessions regarding your delivery. The power in the tongue, and all… I pray that you’ll come back to share news of your beautiful baby and that testimony of supernatural childbirth. Keep your feet up and try to enjoy these remaining two months, you’ll need all the rest you’re getting now! xx

• adelegirl

July 2, 2015 at 9:26 am

Wow! Extra stiches? Never thought about that. Shall discuss this with my doctor o. Definitely doing the positive affirmations. Got this new book “Praying through your pregnancy” It’s a weekly prayer devotional for every week of pregnancy and it has been a blessing. Just need to keep casting out fear and every evil imagination. Thanks for the kind words and prayers Mz SA. 🙂

• chu

August 22, 2015 at 3:53 pm

Had tear, I’ve always been tight, but hubby says I’m tighter, that I’m like a virgin again and he likes it. Maybe the doc gave me the extra stitches.

58. Duchess

June 30, 2015 at 4:34 pm

Somy own experience…..during pregnancy i almost killed myself with heart attack thinking about all this. I heard so many gory details about 1st borns that if one could stop pregnacy half-way, i would have. I was also very persistent in being healthy, maintain a healthy pre and post birth weight so i started swimming right up to a month or two before my delivery and continued light exercises. Fast forward to delivery date, i consoled myself with the following: 1) if my softy softy aunty could have four kids and survive then i can. 2) pregnancy is not forever, so deliver i shall. 3) I have been praying for ages so this is time for prayers to work 4) i cannot die because i have to bring up my child. I got to the hospital at 12:40pm, called doctor and she told me i would be in labour till 6am which was when she will come to the hospital (wucked woman). She came hours later and exactly an hour after she came, i was taken to the theatre. Gave me an injection to numb vajayjay, cut and i pushed. baby came out at 4:30am sharp! Constipation nearly finished me and had to sit on hot water for weeks. Quite painful. So yours may not be as difficult or as easy. Childbirth is a mystery. Na you and God.

59. Color riot

June 30, 2015 at 4:52 pm

Ewolewoooo oooo,I do hear stories choi,am waitin for my turn,God mst be dere with Holy Ghost nd husband……hehehe,den no too much pple cuz wat z irking me gan gan z dt I wil open evritin for gbo gbo araye to seeee,weda I poop or nt no be my bizneess oh,as far as dy dnt av to tear down dere nd later stitch it mbok!!!!!!!

• Color riot

June 30, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Z it only me dt remembers dt Nigerian nurses dnt help matters,like slapping sum1 who z shouting cuz of labor,or saying “was I d one dt sent u to do it like God dint command us to recreate,choi,deir mouth dnt give comfort,heard of a woman dt wen d nurse was telling her to shut up afi GBOA!!!!!!!!!….she slapped d nurse,lmaoo

60. MC

June 30, 2015 at 5:48 pm

This sitting on hot water thing does not sound right! Sit on hot water….for what!?!

61. scared as f*ck!!

June 30, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Isio u just scared d hell out of me…I could remember wen I was in Secondary school my Home management Teacher always tells us dat d menstrual pain we experience is not even two-third of child birth..I tink I will go through d natural birth method Biko…one of my aunties nearly died after CS

62. godess of the earth

June 30, 2015 at 6:27 pm

Child birth, is painful but its not a one size fits all thing. I had two vaginal births my son it took 8 hours to birth him and my daughter i only pushed for twenty minutes no epidural and my kitty is still on point thank you kiegels! It really doesn’t matter how the baby gets here as long as they are ok. Although, the more c- section you have can thin the abdominal wall. Nigeria, needs to work on its medical practices they are scary. Why is a gyno sticking their hands hopefully covered with a glove in a huha to turn the baby when a baby is breeched please fix Jesus! Child bearing and motherhood shouldn’t define a womanhood.

63. sum1special

June 30, 2015 at 9:09 pm

Doesnt sitting on hot water cause more injuries to your skin around the vagina or something?please someone clear me up on this. Also honestly does your vagina remain loose after natural birth?

64. mrs chidukane

July 1, 2015 at 12:08 am

Childbirth is better experienced than described cos no description comes close. Nobody told me the pain would be concentrated on my butt. Like I would feel like someone was poking me there with a knife! The nurses actually said when I wanted to push,this is where you poop. Feel free to do it here, lmao! I was literally in shock for hours after giving birth. I was in labor for almost 2 days. Pushing was the easy part.Getting stitched with the local anesthesia was a breeze. Yes I could feel the needle but after going through labor, I didn’t even flinch at that. In fact, I didn’t even feel the cut when the nurse did it. I found that rinsing the area with tepid water after peeing gave me better relief than toilet paper. I look forward to doing it all again though. My son has brought so much joy into our lives, can’t wait to meet his siblings. I believe pregnancy and labor is something every woman should experience. It really matures you. There’s a sort of power that comes from knowing you did something that incredible. It’s amazing. Wishing all the soon to be mamas the best. Particularly the first time moms. Go forth and conquer!!

65. nonamespls

July 1, 2015 at 1:26 am

i have a medical background so i am not sure if that had prepared my mind or i have a high threshold for pain or the contractions just was not that painful.. however one decides to bring a child in to the world is an individual choice,none is superior to the other. i had poor contractions so i had to be induced out went all my natural mama plans of squatting, walking going on all fours etc. for me the pain was not as bad as i had anticipated i chose to delay pain relief and it progressed so fast i didn’t have the chance to take it later( which brings me back to why the heck don’t we offer pain relief !] my doc was a champ she did her best to avoid having to cut me and also prevent me from having a tear {sorry to be graphic but she did this by asking me to stop pushing for a bit pouring loads of lubricant and stretching the passage lit worked no tear at all} well maybe a bruise ). my greatest fear was pushing the baby out, i remember when i was told it is time to push i told her i don’t know how lol. all i would advise is keep your options open there is no award for birthing through your vajayjay,refusing pain relief or having a CS. After that Isio, would be the competition of if you breast feed or not, exclusively or mixed,6 months or a year it never ends ! always remember most important thing is a healthy baby and mother

66. Nne

July 1, 2015 at 4:00 am

@been there: the doctor forbade any form of tieing but I needed my flat tummy ASAP, my tummy is flatter than even, the result is fantastic but had to endure lots of pain.i still feel pain where I had the sutures once in a while , but I heard I may feel it once in a while for a year plus itching.

67. Ann

July 1, 2015 at 3:24 pm

And just yesterday i started reading the book ‘Supernatural birth’, its a great book and i would recommend it to all expectant mothers, i am abt 24 weeks preggers, a friend recommended the book to me and it is a blessing..i no go join una dey fear, i am going to have a painless delivery process, i will just ask God to give me a sign once labour starts so i would know when its time to head to the hospital, hopefully my encounter with this wonderful book is Gods sent, to build my faith, to believe childbirth doesn’t have to be painful as described by many.

By the way whats the childbirth experience for women with fibroids? is it any different? will it limit my plans of going for a supernatural birth?

• mrs chidukane

July 2, 2015 at 10:01 am

Hello Ann,lol. Pregnancy with fibroids is a long thing. There’s this bad pain when the fibroid degenerates around 5/6 months. If you’ve not experienced it,you’re lucky. It’s so no funny. I had to take injections 3 times a day for 3 days along with medication that make me woozy and throw up. Nobody really knows what the fibroid will do,mine was pushed up and away by the baby so I was able to deliver vaginally but my friend after laboring for hours couldn’t because the fibroid came down and blocked the cervix so it was emergency cs for her. So just prepare for cs in case so you’re not caught unawares. However, fibroids don’t increase labor pains. It’s basically the same. Goodluck

• Ann

July 2, 2015 at 11:57 am

Luckily for me, so far no pains, i am hoping the pains stay away bikonu….i know two have been pushed up while one is down somewhere lols….i seriously hope i won’t go through pains to the end…Thanks much!

68. Ese_sleek

July 1, 2015 at 3:42 pm

God bless every good woman/ mothers out there… we would all live long to enjoy the fruits of our labor. to the wonderful fathers too, God bless you all
    Amin Jesu.
    hmmm, I just look forward to this experience… God dey..*exhales

69. amaria

July 2, 2015 at 12:47 am

I have seen dozens of women in labour but nothing really prepares you for you own experience sha….
    As for c.s versus natural? Each one has its pros and cons. As a doctor I usually encourage women to give natural birth a try cos it’s cheaper, really, recovery is faster and if your doctor is good the cha cha will be fairly intact.. However, there is no glory in that u went through natural birth abeg. If things are not going as planned run to theatre oh! No time. .. Most important thing is well baby and mother abeg.
    As for sitting in hot water….It actually ruins the modern sutures used for episiotomy these days. Just keep the place clean and dry it will heal. After reading this hilarious write up,I sincerely feel bad for every bad cha cha sewing job I did as a med student/house officer… Abeg make person no do me back… It was in the days of ignorance

70. babe

July 2, 2015 at 3:40 pm

hmmm., hilarious stories here. but i would say everybody with their owm. i had my baby via CS and i would do it again and again and again. my baby is healthy, in a week, i was at the bank to sort out some stuff. yes, the pain lingered but am fine. if i even tell peeps am a mom, they look at me like ‘she just wanna belong” yea people, i look that good.
    CS anyday mehn, cant be pushing for hours, the doctor gave me a nice cut and i can barely see it sef.even my mom learnt something new that day, that CS does not mean u re dying.shikena

71. mayuri

July 12, 2015 at 7:26 pm

okay..so I came super close to passing out while reading this..aunty isio u hv contributed to my scars! Love ur articles.

72. kk

July 14, 2015 at 3:15 pm

Hmmmm, where to start? I have two boys, both natural birth. I begged for a CS in labour for the 1st. but there was no doc. Why? I was in a war zone at the time. That labour pain though…. was in labour for two days and went to 3 hospitals. finally had baby in the the 3rd one. yup, it was that complicated. I wasnt dilating but the contractions were close and excruciating. Finally, the student docs where at the 2nd hospital got scard baby and i cldnt make it n kinda sacked us at the crucial last minute. Because the country was in a state of emergency, there were no cars., so my husband had to come out that night to beg some rebels to carry us to the last hospital in their truck. Much drama and abt two hours after, boy was out. Hubby and I were sure we wld never ever do that again, then, bam, pregnancy number two! Granted this one was much easier and i didnt spit nor vomit all through,BUT, lets just say this time around I’m taking my contraception pills VERY seriously because Jesus help, I’m never returning to that labour ward again ohh. ppl say I look beautiful in my pregnancy but i beggggg, never again. I love my boys to death but no thank you, i wont go chasing after a phantom baby girl oh. I read the book SUPERNATURAL BIRTH and prayed along and it helped…might have died otherwise. But God s gracous to women, how els wld we make it.

73. Suwa

August 6, 2015 at 9:21 am

Nice article. Controversial Bruno where did go on this one?

74. ashley

August 6, 2015 at 9:23 am

My husband was present when I birthed our son. He fainted after my last push hehe. Unfortunately ever since then, he no longer goes down on me. We had a dry spell for 2 months because he was convinced I needed more time to heal..

75. Yvie

August 6, 2015 at 11:41 am

I had my baby through a CS.
    The after pain was terrible though.
    My husband is seriously hoping I have my next baby through the normal delivery.
    My mother-in-law thinks any woman who didn’t have her child the normal way isn’t a real woman.
    My husband wants a big family but he feels having a chilren through CS would not make him have a big family.
    I’m just open minded, i had my first through CS.
    I’m praying for a normal delivery in the next one but if turns out to be a CS again then so be it.
    I told my hubby if he thinks likes his mum then he is free to leave incase i have my next child through a CS again.
    I will not kill myself over what fate brought to me.

76. Yvie

August 6, 2015 at 11:44 am

Some women make mockery of other women who gave birth through CS.
    They don’t see them as real women/mothers.
    A times it breaks my heart
    But God knows best.

77. Tash

August 7, 2015 at 4:33 pm

Abeeggiiee!!!! Baby alive is baby born oh & both takes the absolute grace of God. Whoever stops one to ask if you are a c-section or virginal born child? Abi e dey add to price of garri for market?????

78. Temitope

September 4, 2015 at 1:28 am

I had my first baby 2 weeks ago, and it was hell. I went in on Thursday to be induced cos I was overdue. My cervix was closed and high, so they put in the catheter to aid dilation. I thought this was the height of pain. 24 hrs later, I was dilated only 1cm, and on came the oxytocin drip. It was when contractions started that I understood the word ‘pain. The pain squeeze all my faith commot. Mehn, I wanted to die. See screaming. At a point, I started begging the doctors for a CS (and I meant it o). After 6 hrs (the doctors believed I could give birth vaginally, so they employed all kinds of delay tactics), I could not take the pain anymore, and they started to prep me for a CS. Hubby signed the consent form. 10 mins later, I screamed that I wanted to push. They barely got me to the delivery table before I started to push. 3 pushes and my daughter was out, followed immediately by the placenta. And then the horrible pain of stitching(no anaesthesia). Na God o, but I’m still strongly considering adoption for any other children.