Features

Ojie Imoloame: Taylor Swift Versus Apple…Taylor Wins!

I take great pride in getting things done. My slogan is “Effectiveness and Efficiency”.
I believe very strongly in integrity because my mother always says, “your word is all you have”. In addition, I believe in speaking out. If something does not make sense or needs to be clarified, I speak. I take great pride in asking questions and always demand for clear responses. I hate ambiguity in any form. My father always says, “If you do not understand anything or need help, speak out. Do not sit there and suffer in silence”.

So, it was very surprising, that as I began my career in the professional world in Lagos, to find people who are so ineffective, inefficient, lazy and to my greatest irritation, consistently lacking in integrity. “Ojie you will receive it next week” means three or four weeks, with daily follow-ups (telephone and email gentle reminders). As a result, Ojie is branded as an ass. You can feel their eyes rolling and irritation when they answer yet another follow-up phone call, yet another gentle email reminder or you dare speak out against something that quite frankly makes no sense/should be in place. The interesting part is that, it is not just work folk. It is the Internet, Power, Telecommunications and many more.
At the end, because you want to get it done, you always have to do it yourself or pester enough to get it done.

To my greatest joy and delight, I read a lovely letter that Taylor Swift wrote to Apple requesting that they compensate artists for the 3 month trial of Apple Music (Read here). Basically, Apple intends on launching a new streaming service called Apple Music. But as a new entrant into a suddenly competitive market (Spotify, Tidal, Pandora, Google Play), they decided to offer a 3-month free trail for the music to subscribers. Furthermore, Apple sought to have artists submit their music for free for the 3-month trial.
Taylor Swift decided to speak up; not just for herself, but especially for new and struggling artists, songwriters and producers who live on these royalties and cannot afford to have their music consumed without compensation.
Eddy Cue (VP Internet Service) and Tim Cook (CEO) read the letter and made the decision to change course and compensate artists. They personally called her to inform her of the change in course. (Read here)

That was so cool! It made me feel so empowered! So, if Taylor (who is my age-mate) can take on one of the largest corporations in the world ($100bil at their spending fingertips), then I can continue to be an ass, as far as it gets done.

What is my point? We have a leadership deficiency in Nigeria. Ben Bruce concurs. He stressed on a radio show on Sunday that ‘ We live in a nation without heroes’. A hero is defined as “a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deed and noble qualities

The average Nigerian does not have anyone bada*s to look up to. That is why we have so many problems. A dear Aunt of mine broke leadership down for me into four C components: Courage, Compassion, Competence and Charisma.

I personally believe if you want to effect change, you have to start it. You cannot sit and wait for someone else to do so. Margaret Thatcher was an utter b*tch, but she was brave enough to effect change, in my opinion. A famous Chinese proverb says that ‘ The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step’. Start it. Lead it.

Thank you for reading.

Ojie out.

Photo Credit: Getty Images

1. Sam.J

June 24, 2015 at 6:39 am

I think this is not a well written article, I fail to understand the use of vulgar words. And what is the big deal about Taylor swift getting a reply from Apple nkwanu?

2. sum1special

June 24, 2015 at 7:18 am

Dear writer, wrong choice of words..what are the words utter b****h and bad ass doing in your article. Anyone could be reading this,you never know who could pick interest in your work. Be careful. You could have still made your point without the use of those words. Be more profession with your write up next time.

• OCI

June 24, 2015 at 10:35 am

If I may, sometimes the choice of vulgar words are used to better convey a sentiment. Abrasive words often have a jarring effect. Grand (and very professional, like Sydney Sheldon and many other) writers often use it as well. So they cannot be ‘wrong’ if the writer wishes to convey a sentiment through the use of a word.

Peace Out

3. Olori Tari

June 24, 2015 at 8:48 am

Taylor swift is BAD. Always. The queen of them all 🙂

I mean when she took her music away from spotify I was like ‘WHAATTTT?’ but I couldn’t stop listening to her. Only her and Kanye can pull this off with me, as per having to buy their music on iTunes because they pulled it down (thankfully Kanye still lets us enjoy spotify).

4. Kiiki

June 24, 2015 at 9:02 am

Hi Ojie Imoloame,

Please read this article: https://junction10.wordpress.com/2015/06/21/those-in-glass-houses-shouldnt-throw-stones/

Taylor “won” but still stands as a hypocrite.

• bruno FIERCE

June 24, 2015 at 10:57 am

you are misinformed. she and her people have clarified the photographer and the right to take pictures at her concert incident.

• Olori Tari

June 24, 2015 at 11:33 am

I don’t think she is the “hypocrite”. This guy is even closer to Apple because he is relying on the Subject (Taylor Swift) just like Apple yet he wants to cheapen her art whilst making money. If I were Taylor Swift, I’m sure I wouldn’t want my art everywhere being sold for $1, hence the restriction. His argument still boils down to what Taylor Swift is fighting for (not cheapening her art).

In fact, he has a choice of not signing the contract AT ALL and that’s the big difference. Apple wanted to use already created works of her without paying for 3 months. She would Indeed be an hypocrite if she called the photographer and asked them to shoot her endlessly for 3 months for free, like apple. This contract allows the photographer to sell to one publication because she doesn’t want it everywhere – – perhaps what the photographer should do is to look for a more solid publication deal that doesn’t put him at a disadvantage. Because how many of photog’s is she going to start paying then?

The photographer has a point but it is misaligned (comparing orange x Apple)and it almost comes across as an attack. But I agree that she needs to stop the whole “I’m fighting for other artists rights who are not as made” argument though. Also, she should start crediting the person capturing the photos she is using on social media.

• Kiiki

June 24, 2015 at 12:44 pm

I agree with you Olori Tari!. Thanks for clearing that up 🙂

5. DU

June 24, 2015 at 9:53 am

A refreshing read.. People please learn to take the good and leave the bad, every article isn’t written just for you or what you’d approve. Sometimes words are used for descriptive purposes not necessarily with the intention of being vulgar, so cool your horses. Good read!

6. Dario

June 24, 2015 at 10:12 am

This is why I never bother writing for Nigerian blogs.

People who cannot spell the word “professional” get on a soapbox to start criticising.

I can’t spread my pearls before swine.

7. A Real Nigerian

June 24, 2015 at 10:40 am

This news is at least 2 days old.

8. bruno FIERCE

June 24, 2015 at 11:03 am

this article is suppose to be about POWERFUL and INFLUENTIAL taylor swift not some nigerian writer writing about his life.

people underestimate that girl called taylor swift. just because she’s a skinny white girl with blonde who writes songs about boys. she’s the most powerful musician in the world today. seeing her stand her ground against apple (the biggest tech company in the world) was amazing. there’s a particular statement she wrote in her letter

“you people dont give out free iphones so don’t ask u to give out our music for free”

so true.i love that statement. only someone like michael Jackson can do what taylor swift has done.

by the way where is beyonce (times magazine most influential) and jay z who make the loudest noise calling themselves king and queen of music, where are they?

• slay

June 24, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Yawns

9. Hannah Ikuenobe

June 24, 2015 at 12:37 pm

I second this piece. Our leadership deficiency in Nigeria have really been a hard nut to crack cuz d same set of idiots are d ones claiming that they will fight against it. Awon were oshi!

10. Dr. N

June 24, 2015 at 1:55 pm

Competence, Compassion, Courage, Charisma

11. timi

June 25, 2015 at 7:12 pm

stupid read..another copy and paste here..first of all to the bloke who said he is enjoyin spotify in nigeria..ur as sure as hell a liar..its not yet available here..secondly taylor maybe right but she went about it wrongly and bluntly makin Apple Learn To Repel Future Complaints..Thirdly,apple has not lost business wise..taylor needs them too..go to FOX FOR THAT DOWNLOAD

12. timi

June 25, 2015 at 7:17 pm

and we know taylor has ultra stupid fans but nothing is permanent people..listen to edsheerans thinkin out loud..even he knows the crowd will forget his name someday..so fans will root for the next big thing ..taylor is an hypocrite..ill be expectin her breakup song that will abuse calvin harris…Fake Skin Tight BitChes..And Oh!BellA..We Get You Want To Tell Us But Please No copy and paste

13. Ice

June 27, 2015 at 12:12 am

Good for her

14. Avante -Garde

June 30, 2015 at 11:03 am

Ok so its not much about Taylor Swift as it is about standing up for your conviction and sticking to it… no one is perfect, so get the point out of the article and move on… Most Nigerians are only good at being critics and in my point of view their criticism if viewed objectively – taking the substance and valid points while ignoring their crap, you can only get better, thrive and leave them on the fence where they are only good at criticising without making any effort to do anything but point fingers at those who make an effort.

All in all, pretty kool read, learnt from your aunt too…
    more kudos to Bella Naija as always!