News

Pres. Buhari: “At Age 72 There is a Limit to What I can Do”

BellaNaija.com

Buhari-BN

While speaking with Nigerians in South Africa on Monday after the conclusion of the African Union (AU) Summit in Johannesburg, President Muhammadu Buhari reportedly stated that his age would limit him from doing certain things.

According to Punch, Buhari stated, “I wish I became Head of State when I was a governor, just a few years as a young man. Now at 72, there is a limit to what I can do.”

He reportedly stated that despite his advancement in age however, his administration would make a difference, and that what brought him to his current position was his love for Nigeria.

“Our government is determined to secure the country, manage the economy, create employment and fight corruption. Some articulate writers have said if we do not kill corruption, corruption will kill Nigeria. This APC administration intends to kill corruption in Nigeria. We will do our best, I assure you,” he said.

Here are some other remarks he is said to have made (excerpts):

“After being in the military for 25 years, and getting to the highest rank and becoming Head of State and under unusual circumstances, as Head of State, I went straight to detention for three-and-a-half years. So, those who accuse me of locking them up, I too have been locked up; so what?…

Why did I join partisan politics in spite of that [his military background]? When I went home people knew that I have no money and I thought they will leave me alone, but they didn’t.

They were coming to me asking me to do this and do that.   I found out that the only way I could do it is by joining partisan politics.

And maybe if I speak even if I’m not a member at any level, people will listen to me.

But then I joined the opposition (the All Peoples Party). I didn’t want any political office at first, if I wanted, I would have joined the PDP(Peoples Democratic Party) then and maybe I would have got to where I am much earlier. But then, I wanted to go with the opposition.

The second thing that   finally convinced me to join partisan politics was what happened in the Soviet Union. You know the Soviet Union was an empire in the 20th century that collapsed without a shot being fired.

Everybody went home, there was confusion. Now, there are 18 countries out of the old Soviet Union…

We have a system in Nigeria. No matter what you say about the British colonialists, they built institutions for us, unfortunately we have destroyed those institutions.

When (Barack) Obama came to Africa, he went to Ghana; he refused to come to Nigeria. And he said Africa or developing countries should have strong institutions instead of strong leaders.

If he was in Nigeria, he would have known that it was strong Nigerians that destroyed the strong institutions. And paradoxically, maybe another strong Nigerian will come and revive the institutions and make them strong again.”

1. jayboogie

June 17, 2015 at 10:34 am

i’ll be back for comments !

• Otrizzy

June 17, 2015 at 11:15 am

Me too .

• nene+

June 17, 2015 at 5:26 pm

I am sipping my cranberry juice.
      Baba just found his birth certificate hurray
      Ayodele Fayose has been vindicated.

2. zeal

June 17, 2015 at 10:40 am

Lwsmbd. I agree with you Sir, but you should have thought about that before trying to always become the President na. Well, while I wish all the best I pray the weight of this country will not crush you before your time.

3. Warizdiz

June 17, 2015 at 10:47 am

You are not telling us what we don’t know. You are a FRAUD!

4. OH?

June 17, 2015 at 10:47 am

LOL, BN has mastered the art of using the most eye-catching headlines for their posts these days. That statement is so Awks… Oh so now he accepts that his age has certain limiting factors? It’s almost like every “strong point” the APC used as a front for touting him as a candidate will come under scrutiny if he doesn’t learn what not to say. Nigerians are not ready for chere k’ambia abeg.. And why does he always sound like he is still trapped in the Cold War era and stoffs? Please we are in 2015, the world has moved on and politics on the global theatre is so different from what it used to be in his hey days. Can we move on from the past and start addressing present issues? Thank you sah.

5. Miss S

June 17, 2015 at 10:50 am

OKAY….*sipping tea*

6. Beeeee

June 17, 2015 at 10:52 am

Laughing in Isoko and strolling by ???????

7. Bleed Blue

June 17, 2015 at 10:57 am

Okay….I’m starting to get ever so slightly uncomfortable.

I hope the “limit” PMB is referring to is the fact that by gerontology, he may be deemed limited in the number of years he has left on earth.
    Not that he is limited in his ability to make the “change” we so desire.

Hian! Abeg oh!

8. charles

June 17, 2015 at 10:59 am

Seen this news everywhere and the mischief makers are having a field day;
    1. His statement does not in any way mean, that his promises and plans for the 4 years will be limited. Baba is only talking about his physical body constraining him-due to age- to act like a 54 year old would, for instance.

2. He made other revelations in that excerpt e.g “This APC administration intends to kill corruption in Nigeria. We will do our best, I assure you”, “Our government is determined to secure the country, manage the economy, create employment and fight corruption”.Unfortunately, mischief makes will gladly avoid this part.

Thanks

• TransJenner

June 17, 2015 at 11:36 am

I think he shouldn’t have made such statement, and your justification is poor. Yes, we know he will be physically limitted- regardless of age and ability, individuals have their physical limitations. Anyone can allude his statement as an excuse, should he not perform as well as he ought to (basically, helping to cook the history books in his favour). Woodrow Willson and FDR both governed USA with disabilities (FDR’s actually increased during his tenure) but manage to implement some of the most revolutionary policies guiding USA today.

PMB should stop being the trivial sophist and get on with his job already. Lawmakers are awarding themselves 9bn naira, and he isn’t calling them to cancel such a theft (don’t tell me it’s not in his place, politicking doesn’t confine to courtesy).

• charles

June 17, 2015 at 12:23 pm

1.How can any right thinking person alude that to be an excuse when in the same statement, he affirms his resolve to fight corruption, reduce poverty and improve security (his 3 point agenda)?
      2.Woodrow Wilson and FDR’s performance did not change the fact that they were still disable and would have been limited in physical and bodily performance et al. Same thing applies to Buhari, performance or not, he is still an elderly man-72 years. What matters is we Nigerians have given him 4 years & it’s up to him to seek the best possible way to achieve his promises.
      3. PMB is not being trivial sophist. For goodness sake he has only been in power for about 2 weeks. What on earth do you want him to achieve in just about 2 weeks+? Depends on how you define hitting the ground running too, because for many of us, he actually has hit the ground running-some policy statements especially regarding security.
      4. It is not Buhari’s responsibility to call the Senate and House of assembly to “order”.They are independent. If he does so, it’s just a plus. It is up to you whom they represent, to call them to order or even recall them.

Regards

• [email protected]

June 17, 2015 at 11:45 am

So glad someone else has a good sense of comprehension!

9. Proudly South African

June 17, 2015 at 11:00 am

This man come across like he has so much wisdom, at least for once I see something good in Nigeria… :):)
    It like he got Madiba wisdom

• Missy J

June 17, 2015 at 11:45 am

Meaning you haven’t seen anything good in Nigeria before? Well, yep he has so much wisdom.
      Baba, of course we know that. We aren’t expecting you to change Nigeria into Dubai, just evidence of good governance is what we need. Set the pace that subsequent presidents will follow.
      We are always here to throw in our support.

• nnenne

June 17, 2015 at 11:17 pm

For once you see something coming to Nigeria?
      What Please?
      Clue words are” for once. “

10. Ibinabo

June 17, 2015 at 11:01 am

“…Now at 72, there is a limit to what I can do.” Sir, you should have thought of this before now.

11. Gistyinka Blog

June 17, 2015 at 11:02 am

Very interesting revealed from Baba himself.. Nigeria don’t need this explanation, you’re are their fix the situation through good that surround you.

12. Jhennique

June 17, 2015 at 11:05 am

I hate politics!

13. Naijababeii

June 17, 2015 at 11:33 am

wind of change is blowing, i dey come make i comot sometin from my eye

14. edie

June 17, 2015 at 11:36 am

This was brought up during the campaign but shouted down so we don’t want to be reminded. even if you were still young you would not do it alone, so let wisdom from age guide how u direct the nation and let results be seen..excuses will not be accepted dear Presido
    Sai Baba

15. hope adegoke

June 17, 2015 at 11:41 am

pls he shd not give us all dis ohhh.cos he knew he was old bfor he went for d sit d fourth time wen he won.abeg no excuss frm APC.and as for all d governors dat can,t pay salaries they shd resign.i was one of dose that said formal president jonathan shd resign wen he could not end boko haram wahala and bring back our chibok girls.enof of all dis politician.i don kw since that they are dere for dem selves.soon our messiah will come and help my country NIGERIA.

16. bn lover

June 17, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Hmmmm,our very own Oliver Pope don dey carry water for mouth ohhhh. Mr. Fix it all,better don’t tell Nigerians story,fix all our problems cause dat is wat u said u will do….Mr man with the white hat.

17. Nila

June 17, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Stop stirring the pot Bella Naija with that headline……. I’m just going to encourage everyone to read what he wrote.

18. posjj

June 17, 2015 at 1:12 pm

hmmm but u didn’t say that during the election ooo.. i still believe in tho

19. posjj

June 17, 2015 at 1:12 pm

hmmm but u didn’t say that during the election ooo.. i still believe in you tho

20. Iris

June 17, 2015 at 1:27 pm

Where is Wale? When he was campaigning and I said ’72’? He said it meant nothing. I hope this is not any excuse for anything in advance. Sir, sir, you are President first and 72 second. That is all.

21. dobzi

June 17, 2015 at 1:33 pm

22. ita ekpo

June 17, 2015 at 1:58 pm

This is not what the president told nigerians . When he wants to get there. The people knew about that before you were been voted.. So let not be of age you loss your doing to nigerians that put you there to westerner. If you work with good follwers that will advise you in area that need grow i think you will make it. When pgej were there boko haram was africans fighting which he succeeded. For you to seek foreign help will put the country to chaos, . As hausa man i beleived you will not accept listening to outsider than nigerians

people. If you loss the spirit of doing to old age ,
    but not of hearing your people.

• Lobatan

June 17, 2015 at 5:30 pm

@ita ekpo WTF?

23. oyko

June 17, 2015 at 2:29 pm

I Think the other point he made about building strong institutions is totally sound!

24. Engoz

June 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

Mugabe would disagree.

• Olaoluwa

June 18, 2015 at 10:28 am

Okay this had me laughing real hard lmao

25. Stephen X

June 17, 2015 at 2:58 pm

Daddy, u re capable of making things possible. It’s not ur wish to decide ur limits. Believe me, you have many years to spend on earth. Be strong daddy……. All the best.

26. red

June 17, 2015 at 3:44 pm

y’all should calm down. he has people to help him, he has brains.. let’s hope for da best

27. Reverse

June 17, 2015 at 4:16 pm

Ada Nnewi is uncharacteristically silent… Madam freedom fighter, biko go and tell your messiah to bring his change o. After shouting everyone down on this blog, you have zapped!

• Gbola

June 18, 2015 at 10:18 pm

Even Mrs chidukane aka ‘Ham very loyal to my horseband’ haff dissapear too!!

28. Deshola

June 19, 2015 at 9:47 am

At least he is telling the truth, unlike his predecessors who always lied or rather misinformed the electorate about their actual state of health, even to the point of near death. But i wish him the necessary required strength and wisdom to carry through.

29. showbaby

June 19, 2015 at 3:15 pm

pls be strong baba, allah is with you.