Features

Atoke’s Monday Morning Banter: My Money, My Excesses, My Pleasures

A few weeks ago Omo and I were trawling through the Sales aisle at TK Maxx and I saw a pair of Kurt Geiger flip flops for £12.99. I turned them around to see if there was another label to indicate a further slash in the price. Nothing.

They were pretty, and my feet looked good in them. They also looked quite durable; but, somehow I was unable to justify buying rubber flip flops for anything more than £5. Omo’s subtle reminder of the ‘Carvela’ imprint on the inner soles earned her a smirk and a retort: “And so? I can’t spend my money on this kind of thing please!”

With an exasperated sigh, she threw the slippers in my shopping cart and said, “If you won’t buy slippers that you LIKE, then I don’t know what you’d rather spend money on.”

The thing with spending money and allocation of priorities is a really big deal; it is even more so when you realize the complex and diverse nature of human beings. Relationships have been known to come apart at the seams – because one person would spend £1200 on a Mac Book Pro, which their partner sees as a complete waste of resources. Another person might consider it better to pay for an apartment that costs millions of Naira in a particular area, than buying a house in another area.

It isn’t even really a case of being wasteful in general; it is the idea that what one person considers a worthy purchase isn’t necessarily that valuable to the next person. It is an essential part of what makes us part of a dynamic society. As clichéd as this may sound: to each his own.

My aunty was constantly complaining about my cousin being wasteful since she  would only buy her coats from Macys and Nordstrom. Imagine my surprise when I went shopping with aforementioned aunty and she wouldn’t leave the Furla store until she bought a beautiful mustard handbag!

People spend money on things they place premium value on, and as long as value systems differ, expenditure profiles will never be the same. The peace of mind that comes from understanding this goes a long way in oiling the wheels of smooth social interaction.

So, we can all agree that we’re on the same page at this point right? Now, the problem comes when, in trying to respect everybody’s value slash spending ratio, a person’s right to enjoy his/her goods is now infringed upon.

Your friend is a sucker for designer handbags. It’s her thing. You, on the other hand, don’t really understand why someone would buy a bag worth $1,500. On the day she brings it home, you jokingly give her lip about how she’s such a big spender on ‘irrelevant’ things. You both laugh. No hard feelings – love long time and all that. The problem arises when every time your friend wants to carry her handbag and it’s not in the closet where she hung it. For some reason, that bag seems to match every thing you wear these days. You can’t stop yourself from carrying that bag, hard as you try to fight it. The lure of pretty shiny things that cost you nothing cannot be overstated.

Atoke CheeriosSomeone prefers to buy and use Andrex toilet paper. You are unable to understand why a person would spend over a thousand Naira on ‘ordinary tissue paper’; you are ‘smart and economical’ enough to buy Rose tissue that costs 200 Naira. You really don’t mind the not-so- smooth feel of the sheets. It’s just tissue, afterall. Why then would you leave your Rose tissue in your drawer and find yourself gravitating towards the Andrex, which your ‘wasteful’ friend has purchased? In fact, you use the Andrex 4 times more than the purchaser!

Why?
Ladies, and gentlemen, that’s simply bad behaviour.

Sometimes, the monetary value of the thing being encroached upon is immaterial. The fact that the encroacher doesn’t deem it fit to purchase their own, while steadily depleting the next person’s resources does not seem fair.

When we were at Law School, Bwari, my friend, Frosty, couldn’t understand why her roommate would never ‘invest’ in bags of ‘pure water’ – especially when she used it ALL THE TIME. According to Frosty, her Roomie didn’t like the idea of brushing her teeth with the water from the tap (or saved in the drum). It had to be ‘pure water.’ But, Roomie wasn’t the sort to buy pure water in bags – meaning that she never had her own supply of brushing teeth water. Frosty, on the other hand, only drank ‘pure water’, and ensured she never lacked. The pure water supply was finishing at a rate faster than she planned.

“So, what does she spend her money on, if she won’t buy pure water?” I asked, unable to stop the laughter that came as a result of my friend’s distress.

“Ribena.”

“Can she use the Ribena to brush her teeth instead?”

“The annoying thing is that she sees me sending them to buy the bag of water. She never offers to buy her own.”

Frosty eventually had to devise a means of hiding her bag of water. Lord have mercy!

I believe that one should be allowed the privilege of choosing what one wants to buy with one’s resources without judgement – especially since the value one place on things varies.

This is a lesson I’m learning slowly. I am not proud of the way I screamed when I found out how much it costs to add letters on football jerseys – and my friend, Mo’ wanted to have ‘The Detonator’ written. A whole 12 letters!

“Why are you wasting money? What is wrong with the two letters of your initials?”

Was it my money?

For peace to reign, we need to do better. Live, and let live. Every once in a while, it’s okay to buy useless flip flops for £12.99 – even if you have to struggle to see the ‘Carvela’ after 4 wears!

Let’s have a laugh this morning. Please share some of the things you spend money on which people just don’t ‘get’. Oh and tell us some of your stories about encroachers… And if you’re the encroacher… tell us why you’d rather drive your friend’s BMW 7 series than your Mazda 626 (Especially when you sniggered at his excessive spend.)

Have a beautiful week ahead. Remember to spread only good tidings! Life is too short to be abrasive and mean.
A special thank you to everybody who called, emailed and left a comment last week. The meltdown was so real! You guys helped me back up. You’re the best audience EVER!

Peace, Love & Crunchy Celery sticks!

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | Yunuli123

1. mimmi

July 13, 2015 at 9:29 am

Lol at Andrex. Yes please plus wipes. No way to rose toilet roll abeg. I lavish on vacations but I don’t own one designer bag. Encroachers and thieves can steal it but not my memories.

• Laraba

July 13, 2015 at 12:21 pm

Interestingly i hardly read Atoke’s MMB, the few times i’ve tried to read, i just stop half way and pass. But this was too funny. I couldn’t stop reading. Laughed all through. Well written ma’am.

To the topic; I have a colleague who says he can never move to the Island (He lives in Yaba now) . He says even people who cannot afford the rent have moved just to keep up with the Joneses. Lately if any of his friends tell him they’ve moved to Lekki he starts asking them annoying questions like: Is living there sustainable? are you are sure you can continue with the rent? etc. Jeezzzz

I heard one of his silly conversations lately and i had to stop him and ask what his own was sef. I asked if he was the one paying their rent for them. And i reminded him that some apartments in yaba were even more expensive than some in lekki. And i reminded him that Lekki stretches to Ajah these days…lol. So he should calm down and allow people.
      I also told him that i doubt a fully grown man will take a major decision to move to the Island without planning properly. But even if he doesn’t plan, so long as he doesn’t come to borrow money from you for his next rent, please free him.

I also remember him telling another friend that buying an LR4 was a mistake, that the spare parts and servicing costs a lot and he should have bought a honda or camary. The friend had to tell him he bought it as a status car cos he just started running his own business and he needed his new clients to perceive him as being successful.. I had to ask if his friend borrowed the money for the LR4 from him….lol. I don’t get why he likes to drink panadol for another person’s headache.

I personally believe that we are all adults, we live by the choices we make. While i would not take out a loan to go on vacation or do pay small small with wakanow for my tickets, i MIGHT buy a bag for £2,000 on my credit card. Every mallam with him kettle biko.

• Ada Nnewi

July 14, 2015 at 5:45 pm

You share my exact views…I entertain my wanderlust with my hard earned money..

2. Nike

July 13, 2015 at 9:33 am

My money, my choice, my life.

Priorities differ as do choices. I generally have no issues with what other people use their monies to buy or do. Some prefer to spend more on food, some shoes, some clothes, others gadgets. Do as you please! However, as you rightly pointed out Atoke, those who deride your purchases are always the first to borrow those pretty items they deemed a waste.

I feel if you work (hard) for your money and it’s just your own money you spend on your ‘frivolities’ people’s opinions can go to blazes. If I withdraw all the money in my bank account and decide to cut it up I am only answerable to CBN for defacing the Naira!

3. Unique

July 13, 2015 at 9:45 am

I just came here to read comments!

*chewing garlic as usual*

4. Chinma Eke

July 13, 2015 at 9:55 am

Live and let live; if we live by those words this world would be a better place, but judgmental humans won’t let it be! We all have our guilty pleasures, and we all are entitled to them.

5. Unique

July 13, 2015 at 10:06 am

I believe whatever you do with your money is not suppose to be others business. But as nigerians, we like to *chook* mouth for wetin no concern us. Im a bit guilty of the same and im still learning but atleast i have minimised my * chookness* to the barest minimum.

For me my only weakness is books, dont just take me to a bookstore with pocket full of money, i’m gonna spend all on me and later be asking the bookstore manager for tfare home, lolz. Its so bad. I remember the first salary i earned , about 5000 naira.
    I just kukuma went to a bookstore and spend about 4.5k. I dont mind trekking to work for the whole month and thanksfully my place of work wasnt far.
    And friends and co-worker were like, what do you do with your salary, with a emotionless i told them i spend them on books. The stare on their face ehn, and then the yabbing start.
    And its the same set of people that will beg, coarse and evenually sneak up to steal my books o! Hyprocites people.

I have imbibe a quotes whenever i am about to be * chookness mode* , i ask myself: wetin concern me for wetin no concern me.

sorry for my long epistles on this mata. * chewing garlic as usual.

6. chy

July 13, 2015 at 10:09 am

i came frm a very humble home where we make sure thay every kobo spent is worth it.as we grow up,i begin to see little cash and all i can ever tink of is upgrading to any new phone and gadgets.ok i got myself a new iphone 6plus and macbook air.both screen cracked two days apart frm eachother.i dnt know if the sorcery and witchcraft came frm my papa villa!what am i suppose to make of it?yes i nearly ended up in the hospital,people were trooping in and out of my flat to pay their condolences over my cracked items,my parents too called to condole with me. but truth be told i cnt stop spendin money on phones and gadgets.not a shoe,dress,hair or bag freak though!its my money and i can spend it however i want!

• betty

July 13, 2015 at 10:43 am

I cant stop laughing????

• Sugar

July 13, 2015 at 2:18 pm

Gadget is the very last thing on my mind. My phone dosent portray my account balance at all. People who know how much i earn and the kind of phone i use always marvel and wonder why am using such ancient phone. Its not even a touch screen. I’m no gadget freak, but i love clothes. I love to dress well but then again, i still buy with caution…..I can spend my last kobo shopping for clothes and shoes.

7. EllesarisEllendil

July 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

I’m sadly very guilty of this, my cousins is the change to the new “S Number” every year sort, I’m the why will I spend the cost of 10 or more(depending on exchange rate) Ps4 titles on a phone??? Abeg Torchlight for life. Yet I still “borrow” his phone to tweet and play Game Dev and XCOM e.t.c when I’m not with my laptop, on the flip side he borrows my games. I can see though how that would be annoying between people who don’t understand themselves.

8. Dr. N

July 13, 2015 at 10:11 am

Many a husband feels his wife is wasteful, until he pays a visit to d shop himself. It’s about d value of d article. If it makes me happy, doesn’t blow my budget, & causes no one harm, then I will buy it.
    Another issue is that some people cannot afford what u r buying, so they regard it as wasteful. I rem buying a magazine for N1k & someone rolled her eyes. She was calculating how she could feed her kids with that money. I was interested in enriching my mind. Our lives r on diff. paths

9. Fashionista

July 13, 2015 at 10:17 am

By all means, choose the one that you want to buy, but NO , DO NOT come and encroach on mine. There are some things that are a necessity; for instance pure water and Ribena do not have the same uses oh. So I would def expect that you buy both pure water (since it is a need) and then you can also buy your Ribena as you like. Don’t come and constantly be shortening my own ration, I may allow once in a while but I would nip it in the bud sharpish if I notice a pattern, because that one you’re being smart.

On another note, I loooovvveee Andrex “puppies on a roll” haha. I love me luxury designer accessories (shoes and bags mostly) all day everyday but I don’t need fine dining – lol. I also can pass on a business class ticket and fly economy jeje but my hotel MUST be swanky. Last Last, if it is a long haul flight i’ll do extra leg room or exit row seat. Im a firm believer of live and let live. Like someone said above – your money, your choice, your life, shikena.

10. red

July 13, 2015 at 10:30 am

i agree.

11. vien

July 13, 2015 at 10:38 am

okkkk

12. Nammy

July 13, 2015 at 10:40 am

Welcome back Atoke!

13. Nene

July 13, 2015 at 10:42 am

I absolutely hate it when I buy something and someone asks for the price, I tell them and they go ” hmmm you have money ooo” or “its like you don’t have what to do with money” or “all you single people don’t have responsibilities”
    Really! Really!! REALLY!!! GTFOH!!!!!
    Such people I never bother to answer ever again.

14. Zeeeby

July 13, 2015 at 11:04 am

Story of my life. I love seafood a lot so I always go to the shops, get myself bags of frozen prawns, squids, snails, Mussels…..e.t.c As soon as I walk into d house with my seafood, my mother starts to sing “you are just wasting your money” “That money can buy one carton of chicken” blah blah blah. Once I finish cooking and its time to enjoy my seafood jeje, I go just see one mystery fork for my plate. She will eat more than me sef.

• Neo

July 13, 2015 at 11:42 am

Lol! This is so me! But why sea food gotta be so damn expensive yo? Bought a pack of Tempuras i just like to open my freezer and smile at the small measly shrimps i got for 3,500k

15. zeebaby

July 13, 2015 at 11:07 am

I ‘had’ these guilty pleasure- buying gold and bn a crazy cheerful giver. I wld go to Wuse market for gold jewelry. And give my last change to pple I felt needed cash. I had loads of friends then who wld always borrow my jewelry and ask for financial help. Well, I lost my job, sold all d gold to foot bills. I also lost all d many friends. Funny I got new friends from nowhere who helped me till I cld get a new job. Now am wiser. My guilty pleasures r saving money, investment, building memories and helping only d extremes.

16. The real D

July 13, 2015 at 11:25 am

I have no problem with how people spend their money until you make it my business, that is,when you start begging for my own money to pay one important bill or the other. When you ask my $$ to become involved, you sure are opening yourself up to my opinion and you better allow your pride take several seats. I know the story of a certain young man who always went to his in-laws to beg for money for rent, tuition amongst other things. Only for him to be vexing when said in-laws after a few years of non-stop giving started giving their opinion on how their money should be spent. Dude was driving a car that was better than any of his in-laws. Also had the latest phone. Like I said how you spend your hard earned money is not my business until you make it mine. I see you calling people to help you buy some red bottom sole on Monday and later that same day, you are telling me you need money for a surgical process scheduled for Thursday. You bet you just made it my business.

17. annienonynous

July 13, 2015 at 11:47 am

Makeup!!!!!! Thats all i spend my money on… I have so many duplicates of the same eye shadow palletes and lipsticks…

18. Neo

July 13, 2015 at 11:50 am

Hmmmn. Money. This money? This life? I will make it.

God said he made me in his image and likeness, and my God loves good things just like his fine daughter. My case is simply Ace of spades taste, Kagor budget but i am getting there. Amen? I love shoes, not just any kind shoes oh, infact its like Uncle Loubs, Baba Zanotti and Bros Choo enter my dreams and borrow inspiration. If not why do i lust after everything with their names on it? My ex once asked me what i wanted for my bday (If ure not Dangote pls dont be asking me ds kind question. Stay ur Primark lane pls) So i tell the bros i wanetd Pigalles, he said ok and went to check the price of the shoe and came back to minister to my life. Then he said why am i asking for shoe i cannot afford. That one flipped my brain! They may cost over half my salary but if i say i want to starve for that month and be licking the shoe for sustainance how e take consain you? Hiss. No wonder we broke up sef.

As for friends shout out to the ones that will criticise u and tell u how u dont have problem when you are always shopiing and buying expensive hair then when they have date its inside ur closet they will dress from head to toe. We see you, we hail you!

Lastly shout out to the ones who think single women should be tying their money inside wrapper and keeping for their groom when he appears in all his glory instead of living comfortably and as you like.

• Tru

July 13, 2015 at 5:32 pm

Like Like Like Like Like Like LIKE!!!
      The lip us singles get sha. People who ask What the heck i’m doing with my salary anyway (in other words, why don’t I give them MY hard-earned salary since I apparently do not need it).

19. Fifi

July 13, 2015 at 12:07 pm

Andrex too me is too expensive in Nigeria 800 naira chaiii but mehn the difference is clear between it and rose oooo..i love shoes and cant stop buying same thing with bags but as i grow older i wiser, i always ask myself at least 5 questions before i buy anything,and if the pros outweigh the cons then i buy, gone r the days of buying junk at doRothy p and h&m sales, priorities now ooo

20. Laraba

July 13, 2015 at 12:07 pm

21. Flow

July 13, 2015 at 12:15 pm

Me I don’t have a problem with how anyone goes about spending their money o, just don’t come to my house with an LV bag that costs an arm and a leg and be telling me to boil rice for you, for wetin? I had coursemates in school that will be carrying the latest gadgets and other luxury items about and will end up stylishly coming to your room to eat dinner and shorten your ration every evening all in the name of borrowing materials! Sometimes, the people who spend without setting their priorities straight are the encroachers, you don’t even own half of what’s in their wardrobe and they are always coming to borrow stuff from you, oh and you dare not advice them else you’ll be termed “the jealous friend”, or they’ll give you the “its my money speech. I will not have a problem with someone who is fully independent going on a splurge, as long as there is no inconvenience to someone else then by all means spend that money. There’s another category, people who have completely lost all sense of responsibility, these ones will not care if a family member is dying or not an needs financial assistance, they will still go on a reckless spending spree even if its their mother lying on a sick bed and you dare not confront them because its after all their money(yes this one is personal).

22. wink wink

July 13, 2015 at 12:26 pm

Yes, you cant spend your money on this kind of thing abeg, but you can spend another man’s money on it!
    wink

Atoke, you should have looked at this other dimension as well
    Why do we spend other people’s money on things we can’t spend our money on

For example, on a normal day, this babe will never buy 4k fish to eat with her money (minus drinks and other things) but when she sees a mugu or maga, suddenly all the food she has not eaten since she was born starts appealing to her. (From shawarma to burger kings to shoprite snakcs to KFC to SFC to pizza hut to yahooza)

hehehe

23. T.Girl

July 13, 2015 at 12:30 pm

ok, I earn a little so I don’t spend anyhow but i attaché huge priority to where i live, when i wanted getting my apartment my big colleague was like i should find somewhere cheaper so i can save more money i said ly ly na dat one i want lol, to her its stupid but to me i’d rather stay in a lovely apartment than carry flashy handbags, if i wear tear tear cloth but stay in a nice apartment, i am ok……….. so the thing is i don’t judge or see people as wired wen they buy wat they want cus i understand how they feel nd i respect dat.

24. kehinde

July 13, 2015 at 12:34 pm

Lmao @neo tying money inside wrapper for groom hehhehehe that’s funny…na lie people dey lie seriously if money dey dem go buy o dem just dey use mouth rubbish the thing.

25. hauwa

July 13, 2015 at 12:47 pm

LOL. Had a friend back in university in early 2000s. she had a posh crib of K while I stayed in d hostel. She always looked flashy but will come collect my nasco cornflakes, noodles n even pure water for hostel o. I was ill at one tym n had to go stay with her to recuperate. We spent d entire weekend on my last N200 eating egg n bread or indomie. I mistakenly picked up her cashbook n realised she had 30k in her bank acct. When I confronted her, she told me dat she was saving for next semesters baffs. PRIORITIES abi wickedness!!!

26. babygiwa

July 13, 2015 at 1:23 pm

‘baby, you are wasting money o. All these magazines, for what Na?’ And then I go ahead to buy my mags and read as I like and when I like, and mommy dearest is still going to say ‘baby, je Ki n ka magazine yen. It is quite interesting’. Smh. Lol.
    As long as I am not asking you for money, biko leave me o. To each his own.
    You are welcome, Atoks baby?

27. honeyposh

July 13, 2015 at 1:31 pm

my weakness is cloth……kai i love clothes, back then in uni as soon as i get my pocket money i go shopping,was just fortunate my elder sis was in the same school at the end of the day na she go feed me.
    Now that am working, as soon as i get my salary lawd have mercy i want to spend all on clothes, den i remember i have bills to pay and since i hate borrowing, i just receive sense immediately

• chigurl

July 13, 2015 at 2:30 pm

lol @ receive sense immediately; i can relate to that

28. uche

July 13, 2015 at 1:34 pm

your friend, Frosty’s room mate, might have been me, except I did not go to Law School, My reason: I was on the top floor in the hostel/my room was too far from the buttery, so pure water bags were really alien to me. But Ribena, Ice tea, my drinks of destiny. Yet i could look for water to cook indomie or take cereal, esp in the middle of the night. my coursemates got tired of me, lol.

29. goodiebagman

July 13, 2015 at 1:41 pm

So levels dey for toilet paper for naija now?! lol

30. Benbella

July 13, 2015 at 1:42 pm

Nice article Atoke. The individual’s right to spend his money, or allocate his resources to items as one deems fit, and a right to quiet enjoyment are what separates us from animals. Nigerians sometimes we do protest too much over other people’s matters. Let me illustrate

– A friend asked me to follow him to go pick a flat screen TV for his new apartment at the Palms Mall. When we got there, he chose a brand called Chiogo. It was cheaper than big name brands and offered free delivery and installation, as a promo. For TVs, me personally would not touch any brands outside Sony or Samsung, with a long barge pole, especially if it is main living room TV. He asked my opinion, and I gave it to him. He wasn’t ready, as he had his heart set on Chiogo due to the lower price. He paid for it, and I gave it a rest. I had offered my opinion, and he took otherwise, and that was the end of the matter. I allowed him quiet enjoyment of his possession. Some people take rejection of their opinion too personally and like to impose their views on how others should spend their money
    – Like Atoke said, every individual is different, and everyone has what they place premium value on, and which another individual might term a waste of money. I have a friend that spends a good amount of his earnings on exotic wines. I have an ex-schoolmate that loves to travel, and does these trips where he goes to a city, stays overnight there and hits another city the next days. He usually does 7-10 of these city trips at a go in one vacation, and it costs him a pretty penny. Would I do any of the above? Heck no. But I have somethings I spend fortunes on, which some others would not understand (i) I like good food especially steak, lamb, premium cuts of beef and grills (ii) perfumes (iii) I buy every installment of Pro Evolution Soccer (iv) football TV subscriptions (v) gadgets (vi) formal work shirts
    – People who not only give an opinion on what you should spend your money on, but where you should buy it, are a bit annoying. Have you ever bought something only for a friend to ask how much, and suggest you could have bought it for less elsewhere for cheaper. I buy what I want, when I want, where I want. For that reason I hate buying somethings online and prefer physical stores, because I want to touch and feel the article, and then walk away with it right there and then.

• Blackbeauty

July 13, 2015 at 2:52 pm

Referencing your last paragraph, I was beginning to think myself old school for feeling the same way.

• Loreayo

July 13, 2015 at 4:12 pm

I love you alreadyyyy… Common senseI

31. TA

July 13, 2015 at 2:06 pm

ha! ha! ha! Atoke you are a big clown. LOOOL Dead @ Andrex tissue and pure water story. Lool.
    I’m a big splurger and an encroacher (that does not complain) so I can totally relate to your stories. I can go ‘how can you spend close to N4,000 buying chicken salad from Cactus? You would think my sister eats at Cactus everyday (meanwhile, na once in a green-moon o), as she is still trying to explain, ol’boy I don rinse fork and delve in! and the commentary begins ‘hmm yummy,its like they used that spicy thousand island dressing,nice’. Frustrated, poor girl snatches the bowl out of my hands. Loool. Yes, I should be ashamed of myself I know. Lol.
    I splurge sometimes and others encroach too, so no complaints. I only wish I have more money to cater for my excesses. But there are some things I won’t splurge on, ever! For e.g I will never, ever, ever buy any bag or shoe that costs more than $5,000 . Poverty mentality o, Stingy, call me whatever I nor dey buy o. Some of my friends say ‘wait till you earn $20,000 monthly. Well, even if I earn that everyday, I won’t be using millions to buy bag or shoe. Funny enough, I can see myself spending that on jewellry if I ever earn that much but not on a bag or a pair of shoes. Mba! Chukwu ga ewere m iwe. Ha!

• Nuna

July 13, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Are you sure you are not me??? I’ve been telling my husband that no matter how much I earn, I no go ever buy all these luxury items o. I just feel its wickedness to spend so much on Gucci and co when so many people are hungry. But I no dey chook eye for people who have them. Please enjoy your life and your money.

32. seun

July 13, 2015 at 5:56 pm

I love to spend my money on well made leather handbags and make up.

I’m the girl you will see in jeans and tshirt and flats but you are almost going to want to ask where i got my handbag from. 😉

Lately, i’m beginning to collect perfumes too.

33. Peaches77

July 13, 2015 at 6:44 pm

Shopping surely increases my life span…. Kai such joy! But I have investments to make, projects to complete, plus children’s High & tertiary fees to plan for so i must have shopping chill.

I will not share in your excesses especially when you turned down my advise that you sought, neither will I be willing to lend you the money when you eventually need it for something really important. Well depending on our relationship, i may reconsider but eehh….

By the way, I am not sure Andrex is smoother that Rose carla, but it is definitely better padded and softer. Na hubby fit dey buy Andrex, surely not me… hehe

34. man

July 13, 2015 at 8:26 pm

For some reason i only like very expensive things. I want a jet and a big yacht. I buy what i can afford right now but i’m just waiting for the day God blesses me then I will go crazy spending, I will help the poor tho

35. Wale

July 13, 2015 at 8:48 pm

I always take my toilet paper and some other essentials, for continuity of brand (enough to last the trip) anytime I go to Naija. I know my friends laugh at this and I really don’t care. It is my happiness -live and let live.
    Shopping now is even more blissful since I met mylife partner. We share same interests in shopping and enjoy hunting for special things in every city we visit.
    Everybody knows what makes them happy and what is important to them. I never consult others for my happiness.

36. Julia

July 14, 2015 at 2:48 am

A few years back, I swore that I’ll never use a phone that’s N50,000 and woud yab my friend at work over her N65,000 phone. In retrospect, she should have actually hit me back by telling me that I was a waster who went on vacation to the UK, annually, while she didn’t, even though we earned about the same thing.
    Now, I’ve learnt to mind my business, after buying a Note 4. I’ve also learnt “never to say never” as no one knows tomorrow.

37. amaka paddy

July 14, 2015 at 12:32 pm

oh dear! am seriousing loving you atoke. the thing is, all the things i want to spend my money on…like traveling (really dts all i will ever spend outrageuos amounts on) i havent been able to do…so i settle for cloths and ice cream, yes seriously.
    i also hate to admit that am one of those who say, wow! dts too expensive. i’ll start now to mind my biz abeg ooo. people shld enjoy their money however they want and shldnt be made to feel guilty for it.
    but dont come to my house for food while puttin on a louboutin shoe…..na pepper i go spray you, shapish..

38. DOO

July 14, 2015 at 3:48 pm

I’m back. My rule is spend your money anyhow you choose, so long as you don’t owe me.

• Atoke

July 14, 2015 at 10:17 pm

I missed you, D. Don’t go away like that again!

39. d.poet

July 14, 2015 at 7:31 pm

I’m i guilty? i dont know. im a very prudent spender, i think well before i spend. i have a friend who can buy clothes and shoes for Africa and it makes me angry, before she collects her salary, she would have had accumulated debts that is far over half of the salary, after that, she comes to me and complain that she is broke, she hasnt eaten since morning, i should give her garri. If she sees another bag or shoe, she’ll buy and owe again and sometimes, she’ll starve for days. It makes me angry, we should learn to live well within our means. Reading this article, ive discovered its not my business to complain, but it pains me when i see her suffering for the rest of the month and when she starts complaining to me. + i dont borrow her things.

• Kerry

July 14, 2015 at 9:52 pm

We all have that friend….lollll

40. AA

July 15, 2015 at 10:08 am

I’m like the 1st commenter mimmi, i am neither a spender or an encroacher but you see that travel thing, i live for that and my memories remain unencroachable.

41. Enugu madam

July 16, 2015 at 3:42 am

For me, i’d rather spend money on buying quality eyeshadows. Like i could send $200 and more on some good eyeshadows cause i love the feeling of luxury on my lids but roomie will go and buy her $15 dollar palletes and not leave my makeup forever, sephora and urban decay shadows alone. Pisses me off

42. Chinco

July 17, 2015 at 12:58 am

@TA it seems you are my sister, lol. Anyway I splurge on trips, like someone said, the memories cant be encroached upon

43. Koffie

July 20, 2015 at 12:06 pm

Lol! Guilty ??. Whenever my roommate n I go shopping, she’d want to buy ata rodo from the mall and I’ll say no (cos to be fair, we split the bill and I deserve an opinion). The thing is their tomatoes and whatnot are imported and the mallam at the estate gate would sell Nigerian peppers to us with jara at half the amount. She doesn’t get it but I’m that girl that wouldn’t buy powder pepper that is made in India when we have Aunty Favour’s pepper well packaged in the estate supermarket. I also didn’t get the toilet paper thing until we used the one she chose (I thought we were paying extra for the flowers drawn on it) but it’s pretty awesome. Ohh, did I forget the stupid shoprite oranges that were dry (literally no juice in it), they gave me a good reason to say no to imported fruits and peppers.
    The things I splurge on are beauty products like I can spend all the money in my pocket on shampoo or a facial serum (shout out to Olay regenerist). It’s so bad I have to drop my ATM card when going to Casabella or a pharmacy. I also won’t use the shampoo at a salon cos I didn’t spend so much on sulphur-free shampoo to have their Petals mess up my hair. You’d think I’d have baby skin already with my ITK on skin care products but noo, I just enjoy the luxury feeling of those things.
    Say no to imported tomatoes, lol

44. mgtss.blogspot.com

July 27, 2015 at 4:07 pm

Oh thats me. Where i live is sooo important to me and it is by far my most expensive investment lol

45. pious

August 8, 2015 at 10:00 am

least we forget to save for rainy days…pleasure is one big thing..