Features

Kevwe Uwisike: The Struggle With High Heel Shoes

“Give a girl the right shoes and she can conquer the world.”- Marilyn Munroe.
You can never go wrong in heels. High heels are a beauty lift. There is an aura of confidence, the lifting of mood and the illusion of increased stature. It gives the very idea that you are ready to take on the world.

In not too distant years, policies of corporate organizations (banks especially) spelt clearly that females were expected to wear only shoes not higher than 2 inch heels so they could get around easily and give the impression of serious mindedness. High heels were perceived to be too mature or problematic for ambitious women. Today, the veil of limitation has been lifted and high heel has gained immeasurable favour by becoming one unique item that can compliment any female corporateoutfit. In some organizations, heels are a necessary dress code in core departments. If you are not wearing sky-high-heels, you are deemed a criminal and shall instantly be expelled. Go from among us, and be tall if you can!

The penetration of designer heels, the likes of Christian Louboutin, G Zanotti, Jummy Choo, etc, in the footwear market has not helped matters, causing women to acquire more killer-heels than cloths. Current fashion trend allows heels to be worn on any outfit; casual, corporate and even traditional attire (even if they are visible only in small flashes, when a hem moves to one side). They, in essence, complete a fashion statement. The heel has come to be the representation of feminine attraction and even power. I took time to ask some of my male friends what they thought. The answers were the same. They love a woman who can rock her heels. Of course, there is an undertone to that statement.

There is the rising alarm that high heels have come to be accessories of control for women. Women wear heels to be more sexually attractive and take over power from men. Against contrary opinions, high heels do not highlight a natural lack of height (as even tall girls are seen wearing them), they confer an advantage gained from artificially increased stature. Women who wear heels have been conceived to be vain, ornamental and deceitful. Good girls don’t wear heels, at least not very high ones.

However, the heel situation has become critical in recent times. Despite the beauty and admiration attached to the rocking of heels on any outfit, many ladies have held on to it with much desperation. Don’t get me wrong, stilettos are sexy as hell; they’ll give you the illusion of legs for days and can even boost your self-confidence, but we all know the price of beauty ain’t cheap.

Just last month, I attended an oil and gas event at Eko Hotel. One of the organizers, a lady, had been called on to give a speech. As she walked from behind, I noticed her steps were slow, deliberate and calculated. I held my breath, counting and praying silently with her that she would not stumble. My prayers were answered. A gentle man who sensed her discomfort was quick to reach out his hand and help her climb the few steps to the stage. It was a miracle. There are many instances when watching a lady walk awkwardly on heels have been totally unappealing. The fear of tripping is unimaginable.

Most women admit high heels make their feet hurt and are not very comfortable, but they tolerate the discomfort in order to look taller, stylish, and more professional. Doctors have warned of the health implications of wearing heels all the time; could contribute to knee and back problems, disabling injuries in falls, swollen ankles, ingrown toenails from crunched toes, shortened calf muscles and of course an awkward gait.

On a lighter note, if you have ever wondered why some women at the junction carry two bags, know today, that one is the regular hand-bag and the other is specifically for their high-heel shoes. Many ladies usually carry flats to substitute once they start getting uncomfortable. Although, the impression and gait that high heels give cannot be replaced, there are however flat shoes and sandals that can give a lady the beauty, impression and composure needed, if well rocked. Good thing medium block heels are becoming a trend.

Now, how many women can rock heels that do not destroy both her comfort and her gait?

Photo Credit: Dreamstime | R. Gino Santa Maria / Shutterfree, Llc

1. omooba

July 30, 2015 at 11:24 am

High heels rock ANYDAY!! Friends and family members used to be stunned at how i could wear such heels to events, serve with them for hours at a time, and run with them – yes, even on stony ground!!…….Then i had a sudden lower backbone pain, and was on my back for almost two weeks. The doctor told me, among other things, to stop wearing such heels, and use only flats – or at most two inch heels.

So, I use such heels very briefly at events or official presentations, with a fancy carrier-bag in the car containing flats. 🙁

2. @edDREAMZ

July 30, 2015 at 11:46 am

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Ladies wahala though….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

3. jessy

July 30, 2015 at 11:50 am

I have one rule in picking my shoes, it must be comfortable and balanced. I rock 10cm to 12 cm heels as long as it is balanced I can run in them and dance my day away. If a pair is not balanced, I don’t care if it’s LB or LV that designed it, i’m not wearing it. I can’t be walking like naija movie ghost all in the name of wearing heels.

4. frank teacher

July 30, 2015 at 12:01 pm

the gospel according to Steve Harvey (of the think like a man fame), states that men love women in heels…
    there! ladies another reason you might consider over-looking the pain some more…

5. Dorabelle

July 30, 2015 at 12:03 pm

I Loveeee my heels. I’m an outstandingly tall (6ft1) lady but that doesn’t stop me from wearing 4inches and above heels. Not even complains from shorter people can stop me. I can rock both the comfortable and painful heels and sure step well in them. They so accessorize my outfits and can make an ordinary outfit appear extra cute.

• Miss_Flygerian

July 30, 2015 at 12:32 pm

Lool I’m also 6ft1. But I like to keep mine simple., like 2-3 inches. 3.5 inches is the absolute maximum I can take on.

6. chy

July 30, 2015 at 12:17 pm

Give me a sneakers and i will conquer the world.Not a fan of heels.i blend sneakers with anytin and i m on the move

• Tunmi

July 30, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Give me five jare!!!! With shoes, I want comfort and sneakers do that so well. I do have two pair of black 1-2 inch, (I never measured) heels and they are a comfort fit. I wear those with dresses or skirts. And especially after seeing Michelle Obama bring back kitten heels ?????. I was lucky enough to find a men’s style women shoes (ankle boot-ish and no heel) and it is comfortable!!!! (See me see trouble, I googled men’s style women shoes and now I’m on this shoe blog site, chaiii)

7. omonaija

July 30, 2015 at 12:35 pm

The Final Word on Foot Health: Don’t let your sense of style cripple your ability to stand or step pain-free. “Your feet are, quite literally, your base of support. If your feet aren’t happy, nothing above them will be,” says Dr. Nevins. “Take a closer look at your shoe selection and take small steps now to prevent big foot problems/pain later.”

8. Mary Fynn

July 30, 2015 at 12:46 pm

Rocking heels is perfect but they must be balanced and steady if not…wahala day

9. honeymix...

July 30, 2015 at 1:16 pm

Geez, there was such a time that I gathered all my shoes together, the ones I throw anywhere immediately I get home, the ones in my room, the ones in my office, it was so appalling that I do not own up to four flat shoes. Its that bad. There was a time I was asked to usher in the church for a program, every other person was on flats, I was the only one on heels and then the other ushers started ranting that if I am to usher, I should have been in flats. If you are looking for me and do not know my name in church or my office, just ask for the lady that is always on heels and you would most definitely find me. Well, “some women at the junction carry two bags, know today, that one is the regular hand-bag and the other is specifically for their high-heel shoes.’that is just me….

10. Blessedheart

July 30, 2015 at 1:59 pm

As much as I admire high heels, I’ve had to accept that they just were not meant for me. I don’t have issues walking in them but the pain is horrendous. I still tried though. Buying shoes and having to give them out. Then one wonderful day, I wore a pair of ‘comfortable’ strappy sandals to church. I was just settling comfortable in the choir seat when the choir master told me to go and back up during the praises session. Not five minutes into the worship, I was already feeling the discomfort and my ‘spirit’ was telling me to step down and go change. It wouldn’t have been much of a problem since most eyes were expected to be close now. But I felt I could handle it. Worship ended and by the time praises started, I realised I could barely move my feet, the pain in my ankles was terrible. That was when I realised I didn’t have a choice, I had to get off the stage. Trying to walk off the stage was another matter. In short, I fell on the stage and had to be helped up by one of the pastors. And then he started telling me how you need to be careful and prayerful when climbing on the stage in church because of ‘arrows’ *eyes rolling*.
    So I learnt the hard way. Anything higher than one inch and isn’t wedge is a no-go for me. I admire from the distance abeg. I can’t kill myself because I want to look good.
    Also, reminds me of a wedding I attended. One of the bridesmaid needed a guy to hold her after the church service, she couldn’t make it on her own to the car. Some shoes are really uncomfortable.

11. Hafi's Blacksoap, Oils & Butter

July 30, 2015 at 2:19 pm

Team Wedges all the way!! Comfy and make my legs look like sculpted marble….lol

• NIKE

August 4, 2015 at 5:14 pm

HONESTLY, TEAM WEDGE ALL THE WAY. THEY DO MAKE THE LEGS LOOK SEXY YOU KNOW. THEY ARE SUPER COMFY AND THEY COME IN VARIOUS STYLES.#WEDGEADDICT#.

12. dex

July 30, 2015 at 4:24 pm

I lv heels, mk me taller doe I hv a gd height. While I lv comfortable ones nt d ones dt wud squeeze my toes out…I also medium sized blocks heel

• Corolla

July 30, 2015 at 5:40 pm

Please, write like an educated person.

13. Ms. B.

July 30, 2015 at 7:06 pm

It’s called PLATFORM y’all….why bother with stiletto’s when there are platforms and wedges that you can ROCK all day with no pain or ache to accompany you…..

14. Josh

July 30, 2015 at 7:16 pm

And you are educated I guess? Give the advice without making it look like an insult. Educated ko?
    I sha know one thing, ‘don’t come between a lady and her heels’, my sisters swear by them…
    I think some ladies would March to heaven on heels..lol

15. Haddy

July 30, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Heels? Nah. Never been a fan of high heels or stilettos. One time I tried it cos of work and the pain was horrible after walking around in them for some time. Flats, wedges or tiny heels for me, thank you very much! Feel more comfortable and confident in them anyway.

16. Pam Pam

July 31, 2015 at 10:58 am

Corolla has to be the most uneducated person in the world. C’mon gerrarahia!

People, believe me when I say I am sitting at home right now because of a sprained ankle. Ah, I’m done with heels! I am an addict. I know it’s ridiculous, but I have more pumps than cloths and nemesis has finally caught up with me. I am looking for how to sell these shoes off! Any suggestions please! I am just done! I cannot come and die cuz of fashion. Somebody help!

17. HotOnHeels

July 31, 2015 at 11:02 am

My sister has to read this o. Especially the med part. Ko’kin gbo ran. I hope she does not break teeth one day. Let me even send her the link.

18. Sundae

July 31, 2015 at 12:52 pm

The struggle is real o. Now I rock medium block heels. But my husband likes me cooking in high heels and my underwear. So I just wear heels in my kitchen!