Style

Nothing Traditional! Abeke Makeovers presents the Iconic Avant-Garde Gele

Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015010

If there is something we love about change, it is the ability for something traditional to evolve into something exquisite.

A few months back we shared a photo of fashion designer Deola Sagoe in one of her stunning pieces, rocking a unique head piece. With makeup by Abeke Makeovers, she also got a signature treatment by the makeup artist – one of her unique avant-garde geles (Click here if you missed it).

The avant-garde geles are quickly gaining popularity as more women like Toju Foyeh and Temi Dollface are taking on the unique head pieces created by Abeke a.k.a “Abekeonigeleara” (which translates as Abeke the maker of Spectacular geles).

In an earlier Instagram post she wrote: “So let me use this opportunity of it being my birthday to launch a project that is very close to my heart. I’ve been looking for a gele style for people who are show stoppers and trend setters, who are bored with our usual gele style because they’ve tied 1 too many of them. I have finally created it and I’ll be showing you 3 of them. All were tied using the same method but with each bringing out unique shapes depending on the shape of the face and the person’s personal style.”

Gathering inspiration from the Victorian Era, Vivienne Westwood, Sex & the City, as well as abstract concepts like letters, flowers, stars and more, she has created a photoshoot that shows the intricacy and beauty of each traditional but unique piece.

See images below;

Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015001 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015003 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015002 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015004 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015006 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015007 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015005 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015008 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015009 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015012 Avant-Garde Geles tied by AbekeOniGeleAra - Bellanaija - July2015013

Photo Credit
Photography: Funmilola Olurinola of Abeke Makeovers Limited (Website: Abekemakeovers.com | Instagram: @AbekeMakeovers)
Makeup: Abeke Makeovers
Beads: Gbemi Balogun of Gee Balo Beads
Aso Oke: Molbaks Alaso Oke
Lace Fabrics: Adenika Kassim

1. nse

July 30, 2015 at 12:43 pm

wow. really nice

2. Debby

July 30, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Lovely….

3. Ephi

July 30, 2015 at 1:00 pm

Wow, so colourful, really nice.

4. Amh

July 30, 2015 at 1:04 pm

Sexy sexy sexy.

5. SOMEBO

July 30, 2015 at 1:09 pm

I LOVE THEM ALLLL!!!!

PLEASE TEACH US IN A YOUTUBE TUTORIAL O!! BIKO! JOR! EH JOR! BER BER LAN BER YIN O!

6. mrs chidukane

July 30, 2015 at 1:25 pm

Gorgeous. Hope she has patented it, don’t know if that is possible sha to patent a gele style. I wish she can fully profit off her creativity before others start cashing in.

• Mc Abbey

July 31, 2015 at 11:02 am

I really wish so too…

7. Truth Teller

July 30, 2015 at 1:50 pm

Not the usual but that’s another level of sophistication right there, I like it!

8. Becca

July 30, 2015 at 2:19 pm

I absolutely, love her geles!

9. Blessed1

July 30, 2015 at 2:20 pm

I recall Temi dollface wrapped her head in similar fashion one time.

10. Blessed1

July 30, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Oops! I just read through and saw reference to Temi. ?

11. LadyG

July 30, 2015 at 2:23 pm

Nice I must confess .. But mehn I still prefer our all time Nigerian beautiful gele styles atleast for my trad hehe .i will rock this in future when am convinced Biko ..signs out

• Lanm

July 30, 2015 at 11:06 pm

I like this, but I def wouldn’t tie my hair like this, despite the fact that I absolutely love it. It’ll become a trend that EVERYONE will follow like the twist wrapper. Like everyone will start doing this, sigh. Nonetheless, nice invention Abeke. God bless the work of your hands in Jesus’ Name, Amen.

12. Rose Okwy

July 30, 2015 at 2:28 pm

There is nothing new about this style, grandmas have been doing it for ages. This might be more refined but the fundamentals are the same, and no she cannot patent it.

13. @edDREAMZ

July 30, 2015 at 2:34 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    The only thing that caught my attention in this pic is that model nothing else….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

14. Wow

July 30, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Abeke Makeovers, mehn ori yin pe! Definitely avante gardey. Feeling them all! Lovely lovely lovely.

15. i

July 30, 2015 at 3:02 pm

aunty i think you will tie my hair for my traditional wedding that i am only hoping for cause i very much single… lmaoooo!!

16. debbie

July 30, 2015 at 3:04 pm

very very nice…i can totally rock this…..ok so u wrap, turn, twist, pin…
    but e go difficult to carry this inside saloon car o. the ‘ceiling’ go compress am

17. Naveah

July 30, 2015 at 3:26 pm

THAT FACEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE is BEAT FAAAAAAAAAA DA GAWDSSSSSSSSSSSS, honey!!! I love the make up, the head pieces are cool even though they remind me of pineapples LOL

18. zero

July 30, 2015 at 3:32 pm

Honestly, that model is just everything……

19. Lois

July 30, 2015 at 9:34 pm

The first element for me was the model. That woman is sure gorgeous! Damn! The make-up beautiful and most importantly the beaded jewelry, exquisite. About the amazing feel, inasmuch as it is beautiful, I have seen many of these(not in an exquisitely manner like this) especially in the 80s and early 90s (so, patenting it is out of the question) before Shade Okoya redefined the now popular gele style(yeah, I said it). It is beautiful but will I have the guts to rock it? Nah! Maybe when I am really made and have my name written in gold and platinum like Deola Sagoe(bow down) and her likes. I doff my hat for Abeke Makeovers. Una gbaski!??

• Kili

July 31, 2015 at 11:31 pm

So true. This has been in existence. This was how gele was tied I the 70s and 80s

20. Lilo

July 30, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Very chic….I love it. I am tired of the the butterfly gele everyone be tying all over

21. harvest..

July 31, 2015 at 7:23 am

This is so very beautiful n creative, kuz dis gele styles re easily tied wit cotton materials buh wit aso oke n gele material.s n having d final result dis way is a totally aplaudible. Loving d diff styles in a particular pattern of tying d gele… And am nt overlooking d fact dt u also did a fantastic makeup job on d face of d model which just completes dis sophisticated looks… Wow! God bless ur work more Abeke…. Pray thee maximum financial gains….

22. Jumoke

July 31, 2015 at 7:26 am

This is awesome and creative. Finally, someone is thinking out of the box! Even if it appears that it is something that has been done in the past, is there any new fashion that is not a reinvention of something that has already existed? I celebrate you, ma’am. God bless your hustle. Your model and her makeup is awesome, by the way. Keep up the good work.

23. Salama Afro Ladies Salon Dubai

July 31, 2015 at 9:40 am

One word – EXQUISITE!

24. Mc Abbey

July 31, 2015 at 11:05 am

She has the wow factor…. Keep it up Abeke, I’m proud to be your I law.