News

Obasanjo: “Wole Soyinka is a Better Wine Connoisseur & Guinea Fowl Hunter than a Political Critic”

BellaNaija.com

Soyinka Vs. OBJ

Former president, Olusegun Obasanjo is defending the controversial comments he made about Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka, in his three-volume autobiography, My Watch.

Punch reports that in the book, Obasanjo wrote, “For Wole, no one can be good, nor can anything be spot-on politically except that which emanates from him or is ordained by him. His friends and loved ones will always be right and correct no matter what they do or fail to do. He is surely a better wine connoisseur and a more successful aparo (guinea fowl) hunter than a political critic.”

According to the report, Obasanjo reiterated his stance on Channels TV during a programme tagged Book Club. He reportedly stated:

“Wole Soyinka is a gifted man. I have always acknowledged that but he is a bad politician and I have also always said that; and that is my own point of view. He may agree with it, he may not agree with it.

But having said that, I also, in my book, bring out Wole Soyinka as I see him and that’s my own judgment; that’s my own perspective of him. He may agree, he may not agree but anybody can bring out his own perspective of me.

For instance, I know that if I want somebody to give me the best wine, one of the people I will go to is Wole Soyinka and I know he has a taste for good wine and I said that in the book.”

1. ShineShineShine

July 27, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Pot calling Kettle black.
    Recently though, Wole Shoyinka has rolled in the mud with pigs. Any wonder he is not so revered anymore?

• Egbami

July 27, 2015 at 2:03 pm

Maybe not referred to you. He is still referred by many. Which pigs did he roll with? He is the only Nigerian that I have massive respect for. He does not care about the reaction, he says it as he sees it.
      Someone need to stitch OBJ’s mouth shut. He contributed a lot to the problems we have now. Agbalagba tio ni itiju. Oniranu

• Flaming

July 27, 2015 at 2:15 pm

You just affirmed what @Shine said. Wole was an enigma but not anymore. Delude urself if you want. He is now an APC POLITICIAN.

• Ashley

July 27, 2015 at 2:42 pm

I am wondering how referred entered when Shine X3 posted revered. Obasanjo is correct anyway.

• Egbami

July 27, 2015 at 3:39 pm

To the person asking about “revered” and “referred”. It was a mistake.
      He is an APC politician because he did not support PDP?
      People are very myopic in this country.

• Nerve

July 27, 2015 at 7:10 pm

@Egbami, mistake you say and you made it twice? Olodo. Yoruba inference.

• Bola

July 27, 2015 at 2:55 pm

He is certainly very revered by me and many Nigerians and foreigners alike so Abeg speak for yourself

• Truthbetold

July 27, 2015 at 3:47 pm

Say what you want about Obasanjo, he speaks his mind and sticks to it. Also, I believe he doesn’t get as much credit. He chooses who he believes will get the work going beyond tribalism. During his presidency, he did some good things for Nigeria compared to past and last president but for some reason all he receives from Nigerians is constant insult. He will always have my respect.

And Mr Wole Soyinka will always be revered at home and abroad. Unfortunately, Nigerians don’t know how to celebrate their own especially ones making difference in a positive way. However, I’ll say Soyinka can be contradicting at times, so best to stay away from politics. Just like how Dr Ben Carson should stay away from dirty politics so his legacy won’t be tainted.

• whatwillbewillbe

July 27, 2015 at 8:03 pm

Truth be told, abeg I’d appreciate if you can list a few of the good things abeg. Just for for my information.
      I know Obj did a few things sha, so i’m not saying he was completely useless, but I think he was darn close.

2. kk

July 27, 2015 at 12:51 pm

lmaoooo…I love baba

3. @edDREAMZ

July 27, 2015 at 1:38 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said..
    Lmaooo… Omo see entering abeg….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

4. Gistyinka Baba

July 27, 2015 at 1:53 pm

Whoa this punch line is too much..

5. kikiki

July 27, 2015 at 2:27 pm

@Edreamz, this your signature is both bogus and empty!

Too many word, too few sense! You never still pass WAEC at 35?

Abeg leave BN and face your studies! Kikikiki Abeg no go commit suicide because I yab youoooo. Oya please yab me back make I know say you are not suicidal!

I no trust you with this your Jupita. Live for your family! Monkey no fine but hi m mama like am.
    Kikikiki lol

• EllesarisEllendil

July 27, 2015 at 9:21 pm

???

6. Dee..

July 27, 2015 at 2:30 pm

Dear Egbami,
    Please learn to spell and write.

• Egbami

July 27, 2015 at 3:43 pm

Sorry ma. Next time, I will make sure I read what I am about to post very well. I hope my bad spelling and writing did not kill anyone today. Ema binu ma.

7. Dee..

July 27, 2015 at 4:39 pm

Dear Egbami,
    Please learn to apologize appropriately.
    thank you.

• ShineShineShine

July 27, 2015 at 7:18 pm

@Dee, Hi5!
      Hahahahhahahah. you do not take prisoners!!. No room for nansense!!!

• EllesarisEllendil

July 27, 2015 at 9:23 pm

Haba nah, what other request will you have when Egbami apologizes “appropriately” thy majesty?

8. red

July 28, 2015 at 1:58 pm

see these two popsies o. heheheheheheh