The Nigerian Army on Wednesday said that media reports alleging the killing and drowning of 150 people in Kukuwa-Gari, Gujiba Local Government Area of Yobe, “cannot be substantiated’’.
This is contained in a statement issued in Abuja on Wednesday by the Acting Director, Army Public Relations, Sani Usman.
Usman said in the statement that reports in some quarters had alleged that more than 150 civilians had been massacred and drowned by the Boko Haram insurgents.
He, however, assured the general public of the “Nigerian Army’s commitment in the fight against Boko Haram terrorists and ensuring security for law-abiding citizens in the affected areas.”
According to the statement, troops have arrested two fleeing key members of the terrorist group with two pick up vehicles in Geidam, Yobe.
It said those arrested were currently being interrogated by the authorities.
Usman, in the statement, also said that there were reports and distressed calls about suspected movements and planned attacks by the Boko Haram terrorists around Damasak general area.
He, however, stated that the Nigerian Air Force had conducted air surveillance and armed reconnaissance in the area, while the Nigerian Army troops had also been reinforced.