News

19 Year Old LUTH Student Emerges ‘Miss Virgin’

BellaNaija.com

Mosunmola-Oladipo-360x378

Mosunmola Oladipo, Miss Virginity 2015

Did you know there was a beauty pageant for virgins? Well, now you know.

A 19-year-old Nursing student named Mosunmola Oladipo, who attends Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) won the Miss Virginity 2015 beauty pageant.

Punch reports that she beat 51 other “self-confessed virgins” at the event held on Saturday in Surulere.

Speaking on preserving her virginity, Oladipo said: “It’s all about self-determination. It is about knowing what you want to achieve. It is a thing of honour to be a virgin.”

The organizer of the pageant, Princess Adunni Adediran, said contestants were not medically or physically tested and that judges considered the candidates’ appearances and I.Q.

Adediran also said:

“I was thinking of our female children who men repeatedly use to satisfy their carnal desires before they are finally dumped. These girls will have undergone several abortions till their wombs are damaged. And when they marry they cannot have children. Some girls even run mad.”

Some of the 52 contestants were mobilised by a Muslim cleric, Alfa Sharafadeen Bulala.

When he saw our handbills, he was excited at the prospects and invited virgins in his mosque and the surrounding neighbourhood.

This time around, God forbid that anyone who is not a virgin would come here to contest. I’m not testing them but they don’t know.”

According to reports, officials at the event addressed the girls on health, social and other related issues.

BellaNaijarians? What do you think about the pageant? In the absence of medical and physical tests, is it enough to confirm the assertion of virginity by the “candidates’ appearances and I.Q?” Also, what do you think about holding a similar competition for men?

1. Concerned_Boyfriend

August 19, 2015 at 5:00 pm

“Self-confessed” virgins….LOL!.. Nigeria we hail thee

• Kaeto

August 20, 2015 at 12:38 am

Virginity or none, it doesn’t make you a better person than the next. Character is everything. Men still divorce virgins and virgins still get dumped with a broken heart. Honestly I respect women who know what they need in life- being a virgin, an accomplishment, because it takes a lot of strength to say NO! to a thirsty, wretched cunt.

2. Virgin

August 19, 2015 at 5:04 pm

Awaiting these comments yo

3. truetalkzzzz

August 19, 2015 at 5:08 pm

seen a virgin and she is presently 34 years of age, truly we still have them around, many

• Tari

August 19, 2015 at 6:04 pm

So?

4. SeasonOfLife

August 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm

These people actually had to guts to perform virginity tests on young women?
    What a silly and useless pageant.

• MIST

August 19, 2015 at 5:48 pm

Can you read? Please go back and read the part that said “contestants were not medically or physically tested and that judges considered the candidates’ appearances and I.Q.”

I can’t deal!! Gerara here man shit!

• ola

August 19, 2015 at 7:13 pm

holla

• SeasonOfLife

August 19, 2015 at 9:05 pm

SIGH. I will just leave this nugget right here for you, as quoted from above:
      “When we started, we had a veteran gynaecologist helping us – Naimdeem Adeikemade. But some parents were grumbling that we were violating the privacy of their children by inspecting their privates. The ministry of health also wrote me a letter in 2009 on the same issue.”

It is YOU who needs to read. I stand by my comment. These fools are out of their minds. Kudos to the parents for complaining and the Ministry of Health for sending them a letter about the issue.)
      @Mist, please learn to read and think critically about what people say. This is why our country is in the toilet.

5. Zeebby

August 19, 2015 at 5:11 pm

why do I sense this young Lady has made herself a PREY?…. Encouraging virginity is good but pageant? I NO KNOW THAT ONE.

6. Dr. N

August 19, 2015 at 5:14 pm

I pity d true virgins who take part. Sounds so dangerous. Someone will hunt u down to take that virginity by force. With all d wierdos out there, it is foolish to admit to being a virgin except to your future husband

• Ada Nnewi

August 19, 2015 at 5:34 pm

Weirdos and Ritualists…

• Mayyyy

August 19, 2015 at 6:11 pm

Dr. N it’s dangerous. Especially in today’s world where strange things are happening. Nothing wrong in being a virgin, it’s immensely commendable. But this competition is dangerous for the contestants. May God be with them.

• NYC!

August 20, 2015 at 2:04 am

Thanks Dr. N! I don’t know U, but I feel like we will be great friends.. Ain’t no gay, lesbian or whatsoever either.. I’m just a regular female abeg ..and as for this article, all I can say to this winner is TMI baby!!! Dec is around the corner and we know all those Bastards ain’t loyal when it comes to ritualist and weirdos like Dr N said!

• NYC!

August 20, 2015 at 2:10 am

*rituals*

7. Mee

August 19, 2015 at 5:15 pm

Well dats a new one. Miss virgin? Really? Who is d brain behind this anyway. Of all d innovative things they could come up with. they came up with this?

8. Olu

August 19, 2015 at 5:24 pm

You want to hold a similar competition for men? Good luck with that….how you go prove that one now..?

Funny thing is a lot of women would laugh at a fully grown male virgin while female virgins are “appreciated” by most men. How’s that for gender equality? 🙂

• Iris

August 19, 2015 at 6:17 pm

It pains me. It really does. I blame churches and older generations for perpetuating the myth that virginity was a ‘requirement’ for unmarried women only.

• Mama

August 20, 2015 at 12:41 am

Shut up iris, blame the church for what.? If you are a Christian then you will know that the church is meant to preach the word of God which says fornication and adultery us a sin….the only way to do that is abstinence till you marry, and when u marry remain faithful….if u claims to be a Christian and talking like this then check what you really believe. ..enough of every Tom dick and Harry coming to insult the church…..a good Christian boy or girl should remain a virgin till marriage….that is what the church should and does encourage….we thank God however that though we have messed up his grace has kept us…

• Iris

August 20, 2015 at 2:58 am

LOL @Mama read my comment again and try harder to comprehend. If you cannot understand simple English I cannot help you. Few things are infinitely more annoying than a person who cannot understand what they read and attempts to be abusive on top. All that school…wasted SMH

• KKB

August 20, 2015 at 3:05 am

@iris and even parents too sometimes! they would tell their daughters “close your legs oh! don’t have sex till you’re married” but they won’t give their sons any instructions on keeping their virginity till marriage :/

• Ready

August 24, 2015 at 5:23 pm

Mama…how unchristianly. Read, please. She said she blames the church and our parents for emphasizing it for women and not men. I’m a Christian woman and I agree. If you think about it objectively, you will too. No need to insult or jump to unwarranted defense.

9. Chrissy

August 19, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Seriously WTF????
    Like what is this sick society’s obsession with women’s Virgina and what they do with it?????
    And why would any sane person participate or be associated with such dehumanizing, barbaric show of shame???

Such pity….smh

10. charles

August 19, 2015 at 5:35 pm

While “we” love virgins, this pageantry is simply as useless as the others.

11. bruno

August 19, 2015 at 5:39 pm

being a virgin isnt something to be proud.

everybody should get rid of their virginity immediately they turn 18.

being a virgin has zero value in today’s society. a woman’s worth or value shouldn’t be based on if she’s a virgin or not. to be honest who cares if u are a virgin?

women continue making ridiculous standards for urselves.

u dont see men coming out proudly to say they are virgins, or organising pageants for male virgins.

• Mayyyy

August 19, 2015 at 6:09 pm

Bruno,
      Your comment is SO stupid! I’m not surprised. Is there anything you say that ever makes sense? You reason like an imbecile. When I read your mindless comments, I wonder if people that reason absurdly like you truly exist. What an empty vessel. It’s either you post hateful, inappropriate or despicable comments, or you just don’t make sense. You need help! I’m sure you’ve heard that many times on this blog you’ve lost count.

• Nancy

August 19, 2015 at 6:17 pm

Bruno, I really wonder why you never use your brain well.
      Since I’ve been visiting Bella Naija, I’ve never read a decent or logical comment from you. You’re usually either ridiculously bitter, most times I can’t even make sense of what you type. Which is funny cause I’m sure you really think you make sense.

• Lanm

August 19, 2015 at 6:24 pm

Being you/Bruno isn’t something to be proud of. Why do you post such BS in the name of comments?
      I don’t think a competition like this should’ve taken place, but your comment is out of place, unreasonable and unnecessary, as usual.

• Ijebujesha

August 19, 2015 at 6:28 pm

Stop fooling ladies. There is no gift from a woman to her husband that can be as valuable as her virginity. If you give a good man your virginity, you have turned yourself to his demi-god.

• bruno

August 19, 2015 at 7:12 pm

” If you give a good
      man your virginity, you have turned
      yourself to his demi-god.”

so are u telling us that women who kept themselves for their future husbands, that their husbands are not cheating on them?

are u telling us women who kept them selves for their future husbands, that their husbands aren’t beat them and treat them anyhow?

continue deceiving urself. if u like use super glue to gum ur legs for ur future husband, (ur future husband who is having sex here and there). he will likely still cheat on u. he will likely hit u across the face one day when u get in a disagreement with him.
      continue giving urself unnecessary burden because u want to please men and society.

there is nothing special about being a virgin. get rid of ur virginity as soon as u can. virginity is a burden. if u dont like the my views, f***k off. religion and society has messed many of people’s brains up.

this is 2015 and many of u are still proud of being virgins, really?

• Idomagirl

August 19, 2015 at 10:30 pm

@Ijebuesha, in which world? My friend better wake up..???

• TheRealist

August 19, 2015 at 11:39 pm

Some people’s bodies exist in the 21st century but their brains still live in the 1st century. [email protected]

• Tkum

August 20, 2015 at 11:07 am

yea right! i am with bruno on this one… i know of a colleague who tells everyone of us his wife was a virgin when he got married and all other sweet stories.. this particular Oga is sleeping with another single colleague of mine… She tells me and my friend that the both of them are dating and i see proofs to that…

• Exquisite

August 19, 2015 at 6:32 pm

Being a virgin is something to be proud of, however, this competition is completely unnecessary.
      Stop talking crap, and trying to make it seem reasonable. It’s sad if you think you’re actually intellectual. “Get rid of their virginity immediately they turn 18”. Young people on this blog, this guy/girl/whatever is a classic psycho. Don’t take any of Bruno’s comments seriously. It’s scary to even think that people that reason like you exist.

• Soulfullady

August 19, 2015 at 7:16 pm

Don’t mind Bruno he/she probably doesn’t get enough attention from people in their real life so that go on websites make crazy comments so that they get attention.

12. Tari

August 19, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Despite kept my virginity till 28 completely out of my own choice without prompting from any pastor or parent, I find the whole societal excitement over virginity slightly pointless. The whole society is unnecessarily sexualized on both extremes. Being a virgin does not on its own make you a better person nor does it make you a better Christian than not lying, slander or stealing.
    This whole fixation over penis and vaginas is worrying. Whether you are a virgin at 34 or 37 is good but does not certify anything. For all we know, you could using up dozens of Duracell in. Month to power up your rabbit or you could be filled with hate and envy or even a compulsive liar saturating instagram with lies and greed.
    Also, why are we always worrying about female virgins but never about males? Is it because it can’t be proven? After proving the female ones, what next?
    Even some brainwashed female dates found me a turn-off when I told them I had self-imposed limits and was not willing to shag after a few bottles in the club. I was termed a jerk or less than a dude. Hypocritical society has convinced itself that men should sew their oats all over the place and women should close their thighs as tight as possible. Who are the boys screwing?
    To the point of having a pagent???
    Is this not some form of violation?
    Whose sick idea was this?
    I certainly see sex as something special and would be celibate until 28 if I had the choice again to relive my teenage, will encourage my children to do same but wearing it as a badge and seeing it as accumulated points that earn you eligibility to win the lottery of life (or marriage) is slightly disgusting and exploitative besides being untrue.

• Ijebujesha

August 19, 2015 at 6:30 pm

There is no gift from a woman to her husband that can be as valuable as her virginity. If you give a good man your virginity, you have turned yourself to his demi-god. That is a FACT!

• Exquisite

August 19, 2015 at 6:38 pm

Not necessarily. I don’t agree. Being a virgin is good, highly commendable , I am one, but it’s for your own peace, your self belief, your religious beliefs, etc. I’m definitely not doing it as “a gift” to anybody, nope! For myself.

• mrs chidukane

August 19, 2015 at 7:34 pm

It’s not oh @Ijebujesha. I have seen men ill treat their virgin wives and it pains the women more than it would ordinarily have pained them because they were expecting the demi god treatment. A jerk is a jerk, a good man is a good man, whether you’re a virgin or a girl about town,lol. As for this pageant, I think it’s silly and irrelevant.

• Vortex

August 19, 2015 at 8:00 pm

Ijebujesha, your point isn’t an absolute fact, it doesn’t apply to all men (whether good or not). It’s true some men consider virginity the greatest gift a woman could give. But for some others, it’s just not. In fact, some men (including good ones) see virginity as the exact opposite; a burden. What a man considers the greatest gift from a woman depends on the value he places on different things.

As for this “pageant,” I think it’s pointless and more harmful than beneficial. Aside from the obvious fact that it’s propagating the ridiculous bias of targeting virginity talks and expectations primarily at women, it’s giving undue importance to the virginity issue and putting the contestants at risk.

Virginity-keeping, virginity-losing and virginity-gifting are all personal decisions that should be made by and for oneself. Chastity can be a good thing but, by itself, it’s not a guarantee for a successful marriage or life.

• Tari

August 19, 2015 at 8:23 pm

Fact according to who?
      Will the man also be the wife’s demi-god if he giver her his own virginity?
      Or it is one of those silly misogynistic “fact”?

• Me

August 19, 2015 at 8:44 pm

virgin praising for women makes no sense at all.sex is not something you give a man.it something you share.you guys are promoting rape culture by virgin praising and slut shaming.why can’t men be virgin praised.i didn’t have sex till I was 23 cos I wanted to have an special first time not because I am “keeping it for my future husband”that is probably shagging some this minute.men and women enjoy sex just as much.

• Nahum

August 19, 2015 at 9:15 pm

Virginity is not a gift to give to a human being. It is goal we achieve to pull us closer to God, and this goes for both men and women. This is a classic example of women idolising their husbands. He is your husband, not your God.

• Shemale

August 19, 2015 at 10:03 pm

The only person that cares about the state of your vagina is you.

• Zeeebby

August 20, 2015 at 9:08 am

A woman’s virginity is not a gift to ANY man, its your gift and commitment to God. Do it for God not man.

• Ngozi

August 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm

Caring so much about what other boys or girls say about you will stress life out of you ok. A lot of people will say things just to break you. Though society is not perfect, we have seen liars, cheats and slanderers punished. A president was impeached for perjury, many so called powerful men and women are in custody, jail etc. You can obtain lists from counties in the US or EFCC in Nigeria.( and before someone takes me up on EFCC, please understand this context. Thank you). You don’t even want to bother researching both private and public cases of defamation.(slandering). Has society curbed all these ills. No, but people are still being punished for wrong doing. I will rather keep my virginity and honor God, no statement from any human being deserves a loss of my precious treasure. If you don’t like me because I am a virgin. I will move on from you seriously, we were not meant to be, you cannot therefore manipulate me and I sincerely choose not to be enslaved by your opinion. I am not a weakling.It is my life not yours. I am happy and successful, delaying sex until marriage does not kill.. Therefore your social views don’t affect me. Don’t change me. Life is full of decisions. If you are wise, you are wise for yourself, if you are foolish you are foolish for yourself. If you don’t pay your car note, the company will not come after me. Therefore leave me. I am a virgin and loving it.

• Tola

August 19, 2015 at 6:44 pm

My brother, there is a difference o and I am not condoning sin. 1 Corithians 6: 18 commands us to flee sexual immorality. Why? Every other sin which a man doeth is outside the body, but he that committed fornication sinneth against is body o . Keep your virginity please. This matter is serious. FLEE because it is sin against your body.

• Concerned_Boyfriendq

August 19, 2015 at 7:24 pm

I totally concur!..

13. Mabel

August 19, 2015 at 6:04 pm

OMG!! There is a pageant for every single thing under the sun in Nigeria. I can’t stop laughing about this one.

14. whocares

August 19, 2015 at 6:07 pm

LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Honezlay BN, I don’t even have the strength for this one you have brought to my doorstep. Let me just keep walking.

15. POISON IVY

August 19, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Virgin or no virgin………Who go carry, go carry.
    In this age, if you are expecting a virgin bride, you better be “a tear rubber hubby”.

16. Lanm

August 19, 2015 at 6:22 pm

BN screen comments o! Ku se. Smh.

17. bruno

August 19, 2015 at 6:29 pm

by the way I have never had sex with a woman before, (and I dont plan on having sex with a woman ever in my life, yuck) does that mean I am a virgin?

• Exquisite

August 19, 2015 at 6:34 pm

What a pathetic human being. Abeg, shut up. Anuofia!

• bruno fierce

August 19, 2015 at 8:54 pm

@exquite.
      u are a virgin and u are keeping ur virginity for u self, u are not doing it as a gift to anybody”

LIES. u are telling urself lies. u are keeping ur virginity because society has told u to keep it. u are keeping it for ur future husband. a man who would have slept with half of nigeria. but it is okay, cause he is a man. he can sleep aroumd as much as possible. some pf u ladies dont even want a man who is a virgin.

society has told u, as a woman u should stay away from sex. society has put that logic that says a woman that is a virgin is better than a woman who is not a virgin.

who made all the rules in soceity? MEN. men have told u women what to do with ur bodies, its shameful u cant see it.

I dont want to be a feminist but many of u people a turning me into one.

sweetheart just because u are a virgin that doesn’t mean u are better than the woman who isnt. so pls come down from that ur high horse

being a virgin is just like a woman who decides not to pierce her ears. u pierce ur ears, fine. you dont pierce u ears, fine. theres nothing commendable about it. being a virgin doesnt guarantee anything in todays society. being a virgin has zero value in 2015. I’m sure u are paimed, all ur hard work of staying a virgin os going to waste cause being a virgin has no value in today’s society.

u insulted me, if I insult u, they will withhold my comment cause what I would call u is going to be very nasty.

• Boakye

August 20, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Bruno fierce, you really, truly have problems. You just don’t know yet. When did you become a psychologist, that you can automatically tell what people do with their lives, someone you don’t know? You’re even saying “it’s a lie”. Smh, the only reason your comments annoy me is because you’re otiose and reasonless, but for some reason, you think you’re wise. Very daft!
      You lack comprehension skills, someone is saying being a virgin should be a personal decision and not as a gift, and you’re here saying your usual gibberish.
      You somehow like to forcefully push your stupid views on people, but get angry when others think differently and see things differently. BN if you like hide my comments like you’ve hidden other people’s comments. I’m sure Bruno pays you guys. It’s okay for this dimwit to make unreasonable comments and insult everyone, but when people reply the half-wit, you refuse to post. Way to go! If a retard like Bruno can have his comments posted on BN, NO ONE’S comments should be rejected.

18. Nahum

August 19, 2015 at 6:39 pm

I think saving yourself for marriage is a commendable achievement. But as a mother, I will focus more on my sons than my daughters. I think men of this generation are too sexualised. The way married men embarrass themselves and their families by running after little girls, the way young boys chase after sex…it’s just too much.

• Tari

August 19, 2015 at 8:24 pm

It is across both genders. Do the young boys sleep with themselves?

• bruno

August 19, 2015 at 9:49 pm

@nahum

continue behaving as if women dont like sex. women like sex just as much as guys but they pretend because society will slut shame them if they show they like sex too much.
      pls ur comment is sexist.

by the way, there is nothing commendable about waiting till u get married to have sex. u dont deserve a medal or something. at the end of the day he or she will likely cheat on u.

virginity in women (and men) shouldn’t be celebrated. this is 2015 we are not in the stone ages.

• Nahum

August 20, 2015 at 2:16 am

Ah Bruno dear, I did not say women don’t like sex o!!!! Women love sex very much but all I was saying is that men are just too over sexed and it makes them very aggressive in their pursuing. It is that aggression and desire to dominate that we need to address. I am a woman and I LOVE sex

• nur

August 20, 2015 at 9:40 am

Waiting to have sex doesnt deserve a reward, i agree. why then equate it to a man cheating on you like not being cheated on should be the reward for waiting to have sex and since that is not the case, one shouldnt keep themselves?

you are contradicting yourself.

• bruno

August 20, 2015 at 10:30 am

@nur.
      u are the one confusing urself.people like u always want to look for fault in my comments. I know ur type. read my comment properly and understand.

19. Imjusttired

August 19, 2015 at 6:50 pm

Nawa ooo!!!!! soon we would have miss ashewo contest and the winner would be giving interview.

20. Truth

August 19, 2015 at 7:21 pm

I smell rubbish.

21. bruno fierce

August 19, 2015 at 8:12 pm

Look who showed up on bellanaija, the virgin mafia. Nigerian Association of Virgins (NAV)
    BEING A VIRGIN IS NOTHING TO BE PROUD.
    u are not doing anybody any favours by keeping your hymen.
    you are not special just because u haven’t been touched by a man.
    continue giving men power over u. continue allowing men to tell u what to do with your vagina. when has a woman ever told a man what to do with his penis.

this is 2015 and u are still keeping urself for a man.a man who is probably sleeping with every girl in this world . continue.

all these useless practices have to stop.

I am strong, modern, opinionated person of colour, my views on society are fresh and modern. I would not be intimated just because majority of people on this blog dont agree with my views on certain issues.

u are not special just because ur hymen is intact. I rest my case. all u virgins, u people are deceiving urself.

saving ur self for marriage is not something to be commended on.no woman deservea any praise for jeeping her self for marriage. its silly and ancient.just because u are a virgin, u are not better than afro candy or maheeda

• nwanyi na aga aga

August 20, 2015 at 7:47 pm

Bruno I can see you crying because you are not a virgin. Ntoi! hahahahahaha! Why are you so worked up child? even as a young child your brain refuse to reason you type incoherently up and down. You crave for fame on a blog, Bia nwaa better head to Yaba left..Bellanaija will not cure you o. In real life you will be moving around like a cat peering at people unable to pour your aggression, once you see data, you hop on Bella and cry for not being a Virgin. Keep crying, your tears wont stop the pageant. Alfa Bulala (loooool!) will organize another one next year. WATCH THIS SPACE…

22. Virgina

August 19, 2015 at 8:27 pm

Wait a hot damn minute! The Alfa’s name is BULALA!! How did we miss this?? *hot tears*

• Idomagirl

August 19, 2015 at 10:33 pm

??? he will bulala these virgins ehn…

23. Bella

August 19, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Bella Naija on some real shit. Ban bruno from this website like today.
    Dude is annoying.
    Keeps people away from the comment section.
    Thank you.

• Anon today

August 19, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Ban Bruno? Really? This blog will be useless if there’s no Bruno or someone like HER/him. This blog will be tasteless if there’s no divergence.
      It’s unfortunate that BN hardly does giveaways or something to appreciate it’s visitors. But even if it’s as a matter of policy that they don’t, I think Bruno deserves a special recognition from Bella Naija. If they’ve never done it, it’s late already.
      Try removing Bruno’s comments from some controversial posts, you’ll find how uninteresting the comments section will be. Probably because everyone else chose to comment in similar fashion with respect to the particular post.
      Confession: sometimes I look forward to Bruno’s comment. Not because such comment will be filled with abundance of wisdom, not that I’ll agree with HER/his point (I hardly do), but because I can’t ignore the bluntness and consistency. Yes, consistency. If this were my blog, I’ll trace Bruno and ask for a lunch with HER/him for always being around. After the lunch, I’ll give a gift that should make a good impression on HER/him. [email protected] HER/him. I lean towards her shaa.
      Please oh, perish the suggestion that Bruno should be banned. With due respect, it doesn’t sound like a wise advice. I’ll boycott this blog if I hear that BN heeded such advice. Well, it’s just me, some might say. ‘Who is this one really?’But I’ll do it all the same.
      So, dear BRUNO FEARSnot, don’t stop, keep being Bruno! I like.

• Anon today

August 19, 2015 at 11:34 pm

its visitors*

• Chichi

August 20, 2015 at 12:29 am

There’s absolutely no consistency in Bruno’s posts. His posts just create negative attention, he purposely says ridiculous things so people can attack him. Consistent what? Please. 90% of people on this blog, or even more, detest his comments. You can be witty, but this one, he’s bitter, stupid, unreasonable, the guy is just an absolute mess.

• Anon today

August 20, 2015 at 9:58 am

@chichi, it appears you misunderstood my point. ‘ Consistency ‘ here is not as to the content of a comment but as to the number of comments. Bruno is always here, dropping comments for nearly every post. That’s the consistency I meant. I don’t know of any other BV who is more consistent than Bruno in that regard. I want us to view it through the blogger’s lens because the suggestion for ban was to the blogger. You may dislike Bruno but I’ll be surprised if Bella Naija shares the same sentiment. BN should be glad to have someone that drops comments for almost all their posts.

• Bruna

August 20, 2015 at 12:11 pm

Ban Bruno ke? Oti o, I look forward to HER comments.
      Bruno has only ever admitted to being female. not male, people just assume Bruno’s a gay dude but SHE’s just playing on the character from the move Bruno.

• Abi

August 20, 2015 at 1:10 pm

Anon, (or maybe Bruno perhaps?), and Bruna (who is also Bruno), in response to your reply to Chichi, Bruno is not the only consistent commenter on this blog, they’re many people. You probably think he’s the only consistent one as his comments are stupid and controversial, and as a result, it gets attention. It’s not a conclusion that many people dislike Bruno’s comments, it’s a known fact. Almost all the posts I have read on Bella Naija that Bruno has commented on, they’re many people who reply to his comments and disagree or even attack him; too many times it has happened. Even on this post. To the extent that MANY TIMES, Bella Naija will screen people’s comments and refuse to post, because people disagree with Bruno, it has even happened on this post. I don’t think anyone leaves the amount of hateful, senseless and inadequate comments on this blog, as much as Bruno. That’s why I’ll never understand why Bella Naija even feels the need to screen comments at all, when comments from Bruno are posted. I for one think Bruno should be banned, they’re several other consistent controversial commenters, that aren’t as mindless, bitter and inappropriate as Bruno. I think he uses this site for therapy, I don’t think he’s mentally stable, honestly. Since I started visiting this blog; I’ve never read a comment from him that is comprehensible. Not once! Very soon I’ll just visit LIB, so I know I’m on LIB. Not Bella Naija that is hypocritical and partial, but tries to act sanctimonious. It’s okay for Bruno for abuse, but when people respond, Bella Naija refuses to post comments. ??

• Boakye

August 20, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Anon today: “And you say 90 % or more detest Bruno’s comments. Interesting! Who knows? Maybe you’re right. But I’d like to know how you arrived at that conclusion.”

Just reading this post, looking at Bruno’s comments and the feedback he’s getting on each comment, is enough conviction and conclusion. That’s a shocking question if you ask me, EVERYONE knows (even you) that his comments are controversial, and people hardly ever agree with them. So please.

• Anon today

August 20, 2015 at 4:25 pm

@Abi, first, you insinuated I might be Bruno, lol. I hope that’s not how you formed your opinions about Bruno.
      And who said Bruno is the ONLY consistent commenter? I’m sure I did not. Maybe you should read my comment again.
      You seem to be uncomfortable with BN screening some of your comments. You’re not alone. Somewhere above Bruno noted she would have responded to another BV with insults but she was sure the comment would not be published.
      I hope you’re aware that the fact that I read your comment calling BN ‘partial’ and ‘hypocritical’ reduces the weight to be attached to such comment. Because if BN is truly what you called it, it will make sure the comment is not read by any BV.
      Here you are making your comment for this post just as Bruno. When I go to the next post I may not find you but there are chances Bruno will be there. And the next post, and the next one and so on. So, if you were BN, what would you do to Bruno? Ban her? Is that what they teach in Business school?
      @Boakye, 90% goes to statistics. I’m not convinced 90% of the people detests her comments. Not saying it’s untrue either. But even if it’s true, how should that result in a ban. Don’t you think there’s something about Bruno that cannot be neglected, that attracts what some of you see as hatred?
      Well, to each their own. Mine is: BN should not give consideration to a comment that suggests, even remotely, that Bruno should be banned. BN should, as a matter of business importance, reach out to Bruno and appreciate her for her devotion and consistency.

• Chichi

August 20, 2015 at 5:07 pm

Anon today, if you can write such an epistle because of Bruno, then you really don’t have much to do with your time. I’ll have answered your question but I see two people already did; they couldn’t have said it better. Cheers!

• Jennifer

August 20, 2015 at 5:18 pm

Anon,
      I’m not sure why you’re carrying Bruno’s matter on your head, but I’ll say this: they’re many other people who are and have been consistent on this blog, even before Bruno became a regular commenter. The only reason people are aware of Bruno is mostly negative. Everyone knows that very few people like Bruno, and his comments cause controversy, which results to him being insulted time after time, so I don’t understand your question. It’s no surprise that hardly anyone agrees with Bruno. There’s no day that I come on BN that I don’t see Bruno being insulted, why? His ridiculous comments. They’re other controversial commenters, Bruno is offensively on another level. I read his comments sometimes and I wonder why BN even posts them. You can be controversial and create attention, but when majority of people have called you out over and over again; then something has to be done. Like it’s scary to think people like him exist. And it’s an open secret, that BN lets Bruno insult people, but screen comments when people come for him; I’ve read where other users have complained severely about that on other posts. If you know how to insult people, you shouldn’t be scared of being put in your place.

• Sam

August 20, 2015 at 12:26 am

Like the dude is annoying.

24. Shemale

August 19, 2015 at 10:01 pm

This contest is very stupid and these are my reasons
    Virginity/celibacy is a decision like going natural or becoming a vegan.it is very personal.people have different reasons like religion,health,emotional etc
    Secondly virginity is not synonymous with women,they shouldn’t always be subjected to “virgin worship”.men can also be virgins if they want to.we do a disservice to girls if we train them to think sex is an offering you give to the men.empowering women is not telling them not to have sex because sex is a two way thing.teach women to protect themselves,to be independent.stop this double standard there is nothing moral about this.this is 2015 and there are people preparing to go to Mars stop taking us to the time of Moses.

25. Idomagirl

August 19, 2015 at 10:35 pm

All this fuss over a piece of membrane (that some aren’t even born with), lol.

People are sending rovers to Mars, my people are more worried over inconsequential things like this.

• Zeeebby

August 20, 2015 at 9:09 am

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA….. I LOVE THIS @IDOMAGIRL

• Natu

August 20, 2015 at 9:10 am

Hahaha girl, you took the words right out of my mouth. We got it all messed up. We should be teaching these young girls to be confident, ambitious, driven among others. I guess that will frighten the man. You know how African women love to serve men.

26. TheRealist

August 19, 2015 at 11:25 pm

Fifty-two 419ers…

27. amh

August 20, 2015 at 12:34 am

bruno you think you are important, you are waiting for giveaway. pele. broke nicur. or nigress with your imbecile comments. get lost mofo.

28. Marguerite

August 20, 2015 at 1:36 am

Lol virginity contest ke. Na wa o

29. Sheena

August 20, 2015 at 7:49 am

Being a virgin is somehow to be proud of…. because it takes a lot of strength to say No!

I’m proud to have kept my virginity till I was 24. It took a lot of strength, self-confidence & grace to have said NO, despite popular opinion. However I kept my virginity not because of anyone or Man but for my God and Myself.

Being a virgin didn’t make me any better or more favored for marriage than my peers but no one can take away all that it helped me become. I developed a sense of character, I learnt to stand my ground and be true to myself despite what people thought, I learnt to hustle like a man becos I want ready to give up something special for a cheap meal, I worked my way through school, I founded a charity at 22, which I still manage till date to help other young people develop their own strength.

When I finally gave up my virginity, I did completely out of my own choice, I was old enuf to know what I wanted.

I’m married now, not to the man I was first with and he doesn’t love me any less than I deserve to.

Being celibate is good, I wld do it all over again if I have the chance, but not for any man but for ME.

Let’s encourage those who can and help those who can’t make safe choices!

• Ovadje

August 20, 2015 at 4:02 pm

I know people who’ve achieved more than you have without being virgins. Point is that there is no inherent connection between virginity and achievement – or vice versa. There’s nothing inherently good or beneficial about virginity The self-confidence that you believe that virginity gave you, someone else might find in things as basic as fashion or literacy or athletics.

• Lindiwe

August 21, 2015 at 1:08 am

Ovadje, you’ll be alright. You cannot speak for her, you don’t know her and CANNOT say where her confidence came from. Please chill out. I’ve seen all your comments on this post, you’ll be alright okay? Something is definitely paining you inside. Too many of you hiding under “being a Virgin doesn’t guarantee this and that”; so many bitter and spiteful souls. Clearly, you guys have issues with virgins. You’ve left like 3 comments or so, clearly it’s an issue and you’re bothered. Your comment is stupid, just as “non virgins have achieved a lot”, ummm virgins too have. Honestly, I don’t even get your point. All I can say is, this topic is certainly touchy for you.

30. Sheena

August 20, 2015 at 7:51 am

Sorry about the typo error in the 1st line:
    Being a virgin is something to be proud of

31. The Beloved One

August 20, 2015 at 8:20 am

Being a virgin is something definitely to be proud of but this contest is utterly unneceesary. The choice to keep your virginity is totallly a private matter between you and your God, not even as a gift to your future husband but for yourself and your God. It is something to be proud of in this insane sex crazed world.

• Jhennique

August 20, 2015 at 2:34 pm

nobody is not saying it isnt something to be rpou

32. Anon today

August 20, 2015 at 8:22 am

@chichi, it appears you misunderstood my point. ‘Consistency’ here is not as to the content of a comment but as to the number of comments. Bruno is always here, dropping comments for nearly every post. That’s the consistency I meant. I don’t know of any other BV who is more consistent than Bruno in that regard. I want us to view it through the blogger’s lens because the suggestion for ban was to the blogger. You may dislike Bruno but I’ll be surprised if Bella Naija shares the same sentiment. BN should be glad to have someone that drops comments for almost all their posts.
    And you say 90% detest Bruno’s comments. Interesting! Who knows? Maybe you’re right, but I’d love to know how you arrived at that conclusion.

33. Natu

August 20, 2015 at 8:56 am

There is so much emphasis on the female virginity. Women have more to offer than sex. Virginity does not equate tobgood chatacter. Our society needs to stop policing women. #sexuallyliberated #sexuallyfree #getoffmyareolas #Iamnotmyvirginity

• Natu

August 20, 2015 at 9:05 am

Excuse the typos. I was driving.
      There is so much emphasis placed on the female virginity. Women have more to offer than sex. Virginity does not have an impact on an individual’s chatacter. Our society needs to stop policing women.
      #sexuallyliberated #sexuallyfree #getoffmyareolas #Iamnotmyvirginity #youcant policeme

• Tunmi

August 20, 2015 at 2:57 pm

Driving and texting aunty? Sorry, not sorry, but that scares me just as badly as driving while intoxicated/high, or driving while sleeping.

34. mx

August 20, 2015 at 9:39 am

Lol too many hoes these days that women now hate virgins nah wah o.If she is a virgin kudos to her e no easy.All u girls angry at her shame on you.damn this generation is screwed

35. Susan

August 20, 2015 at 9:58 am

I think people who aren’t Virgins have problems with people who are Virginins. If you decide not to be a virgin, what is your business and what problem do you have with someone who has decided to be one, for best reasons known to them? This post is about a virginity pageant, which is stupid and pointless. But somehow, you guys have turned it to a backlash about how virginity is nothing, and how it means almost nothing being one. Anything virgin related on this blog, I’ve noticed you girls that aren’t Virgins, use it as an opportunity to backlash virgins. If tables were turned now, you’ll say you’re being attacked. If you’re really happy with being a non-Virgin, people being virgins shouldn’t bother you to the extent that you start to leave spiteful comments. The pageant is unnecessary, but the virgin calling and bashing is petty. Being a virgin is something o be proud of, doesn’t make you better than anyone, (no one ever said that, you guys know what’s killing you) but it’s commendable. Some of you still secretly wish you were one, hence the pointless bashing. Virginity means nothing indeed, that’s why you guys leave lengthy comments, almost all virginity related posts, has loads of comments, yet “it means nothing”. Indeed.
    Bash the pageant that is stupid, stop making foolish comments about virginity and virgins, bitter souls.

• Ovadje

August 20, 2015 at 4:12 pm

@Susan, if people have any so-called “problems with people who are virgins” it’s the notion that virginity is somehow better than non-virginity. Reality is that both are simply different (none better or worse than the other). Virginity and non-virginity are merely different states of the SAME thing – humanity!

• Susan

August 20, 2015 at 5:29 pm

Ovadje, abeg!
      Clearly you lack comprehension skills and cannot understand my comment. Being a virgin doesn’t make you better than anyone, but bashing virgins all the time is stupid! If you have a problem with understanding, that’s your own issue. This topic isn’t even about virginity, but a ridiculous pageant, but as usual; it’s an opportunity for virgin bashing. If it was the reverse, the same dimwits will be saying people are judging them. I have friends who aren’t virgins, and are okay with their decision, they don’t go around bashing virgins, and wouldn’t even be bothered to leave epistles, slamming virginity and virgins on this post. Virginity is no big deal indeed, that’s why every post related to it on BN, it attracts lengthy comments and bitter people hiding under “being a virgin doesn’t make you better than anyone”, err no one said that. Bash the pageant, not virgins. Let people do whatever they want. If people want to close their legs, allow them, if you want to open yours, open it and fly away. Non virgins keep ranting about how people judge them for being non virgins, and how people don’t let others follow their own beliefs, yet it’s the same hypocrites, that’ll be leaving spiteful comments about virginity and how being a virgin is nothing. I’ve said this and I’ll say it yet again; if you are not a virgin and you’re okay with it, you won’t have time to make bitter and spiteful comments on those who’ve chosen to follow a different path. *Drops Mic*

36. Natu

August 20, 2015 at 10:00 am

There are women in the west who are astronauts, scientists, entrepreneurs, moguls, prime ministers , CEO’s among others. African women are here worrying about virginity. #misplacedpriorities

37. Manb4real

August 20, 2015 at 10:33 am

Being a virgin is a good thing, but the contest was unnecessary. Being a virgin doesnt make anyone better than other pple – character is key. Being a virgin should be encouraged in both sexes – till marriage. Being faithful in marriage should be made a law – but I know that can never be. Over all however, it is the least- the very least of our problems in this country. Like some pple have rightly observed above, many countries are doing exploits technologically and we’re here worried about a very inconsequential issue, pls if the organizers have so much money- visit orphanages, go to hospitals, give scholarships to brilliant but indigent students, the list is endless – and it will still earn u recognition if that is what you are worried about.

38. justsayying

August 20, 2015 at 1:06 pm

There’s nothing as sad as a woman who thinks her virginity is a gift to a man. Virginity is a private matter that should not be announced to strangers or the whole world as in this pageant. It is a honorable thing to be discovered by a spouse.
    I met a virgin once, and i went off thinking she was a totally bad chic(with admiration), we never had anything and i honestly didnt think we would….oh and she never told me she was a virgin. Fast forward two years later we met again at a business interview,i was being interviewed by her for a position at my current place of work. I remember saying to myself “this wicked chic again”!
    I got the job, a few weeks later we went on training…and what happened in vegas stayed in vegas.
    i was shocked to findout she was a virgin, and quickly apologized and asked her to marry me……(fairy tales)lol
    we’ve been seeing for 3years now, and our wedding is comming up next month. Am i marrying her because she’s a virgin no, but it helped….no extra baggage! no one to compare me too.
    oh…she’s still very wicked!

39. justsayying

August 20, 2015 at 1:10 pm

oh…she’s still very wicked!

• Jhennique

August 20, 2015 at 2:22 pm

lol! Nice one @justsaying

40. Disvirgined

August 20, 2015 at 2:10 pm

Its funny how the real virgins don’t look it and most people who look like virgins really are not. I think one should be chaste for health, peace of mind and religion if you got one. Certainly not as a gift to anyone. BTW, who knows a good and affordable gynecologist in gbagada/Ikeja environs? I need to run some tests ASAP. Please help.

• Ovadje

August 20, 2015 at 4:04 pm

What does a virgin look like?!

41. Krasavitsa

August 20, 2015 at 5:41 pm

Just to buttress Anon’s point, please BN pay no heed to the #Brunoantagonists; they know not how important traffic is to blogs. To prove that Bruno and HIS (I think he prefers to be addressed as male) comments are important to BN, see how many comments Bruno’s comments has generated-it’s remarkable! As for this absolutely ridiculous and pointless contest, if one must be honest, being a virgin at 19 isn’t such an achievement; there are 28 year old virgins . Now that’s discipline! Or lack of opportunity depending on how you choose to look at it. #fact; Princess Di was a virgin, that didn’t stop Prince Charles from cheating on her. With camiilla and marrying her.

42. leftbrained

August 20, 2015 at 6:10 pm

Left BN for a few hours and this is what happened.

I secondes bruno joor.keepin your virginity does not make you special, you are still a virgin because you lack opportunity.

• Hair

August 20, 2015 at 6:25 pm

Who said keeping your virginity makes you special? You guys hide under that to console yourselves. I guess you’re part of the bitter souls. Go and read Susan’s comments, I guess she’s referring to people like you.

• Hair

August 20, 2015 at 6:26 pm

“You are still a virgin because you lack opportunity”? You must be a moron. That’s like saying you’re a non-Virgin because you’re a hoe. What a dunce.

• Kwamme

August 20, 2015 at 7:05 pm

“keepin your virginity does not make you special, you are still a virgin because you lack opportunity” the dumbest comment I’ve read on thsi blog. That’s just like saying, those who aren’t virgins, aren’t virgins because they’re promiscuous? You’ve got a brain, please put it to good use. Pathetic comment.

43. Hadiii

August 20, 2015 at 7:04 pm

I like Bruno. He’s hilarious ?

• Tombra

August 20, 2015 at 9:51 pm

He’s stupid! Guy/girl needs to see a life coach as soon as possible.

44. Kwamme

August 20, 2015 at 7:06 pm

Promiscuous*

45. nwanyi na aga aga

August 20, 2015 at 8:01 pm

Our society is becoming terribly hypocritical in a very strange way. If this was a homosexual pageant now people will start to shout about homophobia, Biko tell me what is this extreme disdain for virgins all about? The people in the pageant are higher institution students, adults of 19years and above. Is it not their vagina, that they have chosen to celebrate? why are people angry? Some people celebrate their face (face of this and that), some their physique (best model this and that), this people their vagina (Miss Virgin (loooool)). So what exactly are people worked up about? Let them be..Let people celebrate whatever they choose to..Shebi we are in the freedom era, allow them to be free. If they feel their virginity is the best thing they have, its theirs so leave them be. The only thing I notice is that there a psychological need people who are none virgins have to tear virgins down. If you have that need why don’t you address why you are so angry at virgins.. That is the main problem , not the person who is naive enough to think that virginity scores them a good marriage or a better marriage…Bikonu invest in Yaba Left, so that you will know why you are ranting. As for me I don’t care about any pageant. I only come to watch pictures if there are any. Nothing concern me with what you choose to do with your own body. Each to his own.

46. Koffie

August 20, 2015 at 9:32 pm

I learnt the hard way that it’s better to keep it to yourself if you’re a virgin. No need for unnecessary invitation for trouble. This paegent is totally unnecessary.

47. Diamond

August 20, 2015 at 10:59 pm

I have two kids And am still a virgin..Pls I Need to join the contest lol..

48. Zeezee

August 24, 2015 at 9:18 am

In all fairness it’s all about luck. Be it Virgin or not ur husband still see’s u as one and worships u like demi-God if the love is genuine and still waxing stronger. It’s a pains a lady more when u don’t get what u expected as a reward for long time pledge of purity. Please let’s us just pray for whichever one that will work for us and stop bringing big deal out of a no deal. Honestly most of those things that worked for our mothers in the past are not 100% applicable to us anymore. All we need is to do what makes happy.