Music

Do You Remember This #ThrowbackTrack? Listen & Watch the Video for Wizkid’s ‘Holla at your Boy’

Wizkid - BellaNaija - August - 2015

Surulere to the world!

From Drake and Skepta being featured on Wizkid‘s “Ojuelegba” remix (click here if you missed it), to Alicia Keys and Swizz Beatz dancing to the track (click here if you missed it) and now being spotted with Kendrick Lamar. It comes to mind how far the Starboy has come from his debut single “Holla At Your Boy“.

We first heard him on M.I‘s “Fast Money, Fast Cars” and when he dropped “Holla At Your Boy” in 2010, everyone knew he was here to stay!

Off his debut album “Superstar”, the song was produced by DJ Klem (Knighthouse) and Vebee. The visuals for the single, directed by Patrick Ellis, was shot at Dowen College in Lekki, Lagos.

A huge song of the year, the video featured cameo appearances from Ice Prince, Skales, D’Prince, Banky W and several others.

Fun facts: Wizkid won the 2011 The Headies Next Rated award for “Holla at Your Boy”. The video was also nominated for “Most Gifted Newcomer Video” at the 2011 Channel O Music Video Awards and for “Best Afro Pop Video” at the 2011 Nigeria Music Video Awards (NMVA).

It has been an upward journey for Wizkid since then and the Nigerian music scene is still very much in love with the one and only Starboy!

Watch!

Listen to Wizkid – Holla At Your Boy

[audio: https://www.bellanaija.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/Wizkid-Holla-At-Your-Boy-BellaNaija-August-2015.mp3]

Download

1. Tunmi

August 6, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Richard Akuson just wrote about defining the terms we use. This is not a throwback. With music, it cannot be a throwback if it is in the same decade. Deji S, warrahell? Music from the 90s would be a throwback. I’ll volunteer to do your work for you:
    Yetunde by FADA U-Turn
    So Di E by Baba Dee
    Rosie by Blacky
    Bolanle by
    Azadus
    Remedies
    Plantashun Boiz
    Daddy Fresh
    Oritz Wiliki
    Better yet, look up “old Naija music” on Youtube

I will give you credit for Eedris’s Mr. Lecturer and Baba Fryo, and Kush.

• Matt

August 7, 2015 at 12:49 am

This is definitely throwback. According to the dictionary it might not be (isn’t it?), but if you’re familiar with the popular connotation of “throwback” then you know a song as old (or as “Young”) as Holla At Your Boy counts as throwback.

• Niola

August 7, 2015 at 10:51 am

My dear you are so right may I add to your list
      Majek Fashek- Send down the rain
      Raskimono’s songs
      Mike Okiri- Rumba dance, omoge
      Alex o songs
      Alex Zitto songs
      Edna Ogoli- My pepper soup
      Junior and Pretty- monica
      Daniel Wilson- Mr Raggamoffin
      Bright Chimezie- I travel to oyinbo man country, cant remember the name of the song

Please ehn BN your audience are not all teenagers, some of us still would like to remember our checkmate, behind the clouds, ripples, tales by moonlight days.. Many thanks

2. bruno fierce

August 6, 2015 at 2:09 pm

really? u call this a throw back.
    Rihanna’s bitch better have my money is also a throwback then.

I don’t want to be rude, but how old is the person who runs this throwback column. does the person know anything about Nigerian music at all?

3. shannaro

August 6, 2015 at 2:27 pm

*cackles in korean*

• Tunmi

August 7, 2015 at 5:13 am

I caught the shade!!!! Considering this song was stolen note for note from Se7en’s Girls *sipping that Makgeolli*

4. oyindee

August 6, 2015 at 2:47 pm

Calm down guys,don’t be too hard on the writer,it most definitely is not a song ruling the airwaves right now because I know that music stations would rather play a ‘Shakiti bobo’ than play this song right now,you know what I mean so I admit it’s not really a all the way TB song but it can be a ‘when boys were men song’ plus it’s another way to celebrate the artist’s growth…

5. Unique

August 6, 2015 at 3:01 pm

@oyindee, sorry to correct you but it ought to be ‘when men were boys’

@bruno fierce, right on spot.

6. Taiwo

August 6, 2015 at 4:43 pm

I fear o, Holla at your boy throwback ke!? I was about to hit the salon for a dye job

7. Awon Stephen Oshi

August 6, 2015 at 7:53 pm

Give this song 8 more years before you consider it a throwback.