Features

Fanya South: Religious Houses Medicating My Kids Without Permission? Heck No!

I hate to admit it, but I am not an avid church goer. I try to go as often as I can, mostly because of my children, but it is a conscious effort.

I do place the blame mostly on my parents. For as far back as I can remember, my father never attended church till he turned 65. Then he became a fanatic. Fear of approaching death syndrome. My mother was no better. She attended on some Sundays and didn’t attend on others. But I refuse to let my children grow up like that.

So, on one of those Sundays when I was getting ready for church, I was trying to put on my make up when my daughter complained that my mascara had a funny smell like the medicine that was given to her in church. This was news to me. When did the church start giving medicine to children. I asked her if she had gotten ill in church on that day. She said no. They just lined them up, told them to open their mouths and gave them.

Wharrahell?

When we got to the church, we headed straight to the children’s church and demanded to speak to the head of the children’s church. She came to speak with us and we related to her what my daughter had said. The woman said “Yes, we decided to give them immunization, and so we did”

But why did you not obtain permission or inform the parents. The woman insisted that it was announced in church the Sunday before. Probably on one of those days we didn’t attend; but that’s not the point here.

Announcement in church does not mean that you have informed the parents or that you have been granted express permission. Before you give any sort of food, beverage or medicine to any child, you are supposed to obtain a written permission from the child’s parents. I hate to say this, but half the people in church are either half asleep, distracted, thinking of ten other things to do when they leave church, talking with the person seated next to them or just not listening. People could have traveled on that Sunday, come back during the week and bam..you give an unapproved medicine to the child the following Sunday.

The woman began to get all hoity toity with us “this is a church. We announced it and that’s good enough. Nobody came and said they didn’t want it. Please, don’t come and shout here o”

I said to her in a low and very firm voice “it is because I have not sued you people. That’s why you feel you can tell me this. As if you have the right to do what you did. You don’t just wake up and feel you have the audacity to give anything to kids or immunize them just because you are a church. You have no idea the kind of allergies children of nowadays have. My son is allergic to maize and maize products. My daughter could have been allergic to something in that medicine. If I sue you and tell you my daughter had an allergic reaction, you have absolutely no case.”

That was when she realized that I was right and offered an apology. I hope they do the right thing next time.

Schools keep records of your child’s medical history so that if your child has any allergies, they know what to give and what not to give. Most schools don’t share food or cake at birthday parties in school because they are trying to protect the children.

Religious organisations, no matter how holier than thou, untouchable or omniwhatever they think they are, need to ensure that they do not take for granted the importance of the lives of the people who trust them and not make assumptions that they can do whatever they like.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime| Bryan Creely

Fanya South is a working mom who has always had a love for writing. My guilty pleasures are dance hall music and cake. I am finally designing my own website/blog, so look out for that.

1. missappleberry

October 28, 2015 at 4:02 pm

What??? I’m just hearing this church medication thing for the first time! Seriously? If you say some people don’t have sense now, they will say one talks anyhow. How can a non medical personnel i suppose give medication to a child without a parent’s consent? Even in medicine, there is something called informed consent. Gosh! I’m so mad! Biko, what church is that? Too many things in Nigeria are taken for granted because our law system is so weak. In a developed country, i would have sued the church, the woman and everyone involved, and that is after giving her a punch in the face. We will all go to court and sort our issues out. What effontery! My Gosh! I’m so upset.

• NIRA

October 29, 2015 at 9:10 am

The immunization they give in church is Polio Vaccicne, that is all. They usually announce it in church and if you do not want your child to be immunized, take the child away. Moreso, they make announcements on the radio whenever they’re going round for such immunization in the communities. Have you not heard of it? Maybe tune in to the radio stations more, not CDs. Anyway, we are determined to Kick Polio out of Nigeria, and they do not give an overdose of Polio Vaccine. I’ve taken part in the exercise a couple of times, and I have never heard of an allergic reaction to Polio Vaccine. We parents can make a fuss out of nothing. You missed church and therefore missed the announcement. In my daughter’s school they inform us of the vaccination, if you do not tell them not to give your child the vaccine, it is automatically assumed that you’re cool with it. My Igbo ppl say that he who keeps silent agrees to what was said (don’t know how else to translate it).

• NIRA

October 29, 2015 at 9:15 am

Also, they usually use marker and paint either the thumb or the pinky finger nail of any child they immunize so they don’t give him/her another dose during that round of immunization. You didn’t notice the marker on your child’s nail for days or a week?? It says a lot about your parenting skills and observation. smh…

• ak

October 29, 2015 at 2:18 pm

FANYA!

Please kontinu.

Don’t read any of the hateful comments people are posting below.

The same people are those people that will blame rape victims rather than go after the rapist.

The fact is, you are the parent, not the church. If they want to do something to your child, especially if the child is a minor, they need to ask you first and not just “announce”

Abi na Church wey born pikin?

2. Puzzles

October 28, 2015 at 4:03 pm

Immunization in church?

Why are churches today neglecting their primary responsibility – teaching moral and spiritual values – and focusing on prosperity, miracle, politics and things they have no business in?

3. missappleberry

October 28, 2015 at 4:04 pm

Besides i like the pic used to post this article. Girl’s gesture appears like “if i hear am? Lol”. Still upset though.

4. peyton

October 28, 2015 at 4:23 pm

Lets get it straight, the government sends immunization personnel to church on Sundays in a bid to fight polio. The church was wrong in this case. Often times when the polio personnel come they inform the children’s department who in turn informs parents who decide if their kids should take immunization or not. I don’t know about other immunizations but for polio i witnessed this often. Parental consent however should be obtained

5. Yue

October 28, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Schools keep record of students health? In Nigeria? I think not.
    Unto the article : It seemed very down to earth, I could imagine you talking. I like how You didn’t try to sugar-coat your words because it concerns “church”.
    Lastly, You saying you would constantly take your kids to church might just make them a terrible religious person as you. It isn’t basically about “going to church” it’s about knowing God personally. And that is why we have the bible, so you read it for yourself! The church can then widen your knowledge and throw more lights on it.
    So, please take your kids to church for the right reasons, or that 100years you spend pushing them to church might be wasted as they might never know how to define God for themselves but always look at the church to feed them with christianity.
    Okay, You’re welcome!

• Lolo

October 28, 2015 at 10:51 pm

I love you!!!

6. Saywhat!?

October 28, 2015 at 4:25 pm

This is unbelievable…my jaw is still on the floor. I can’t imagine they actually thought this was OK to medicate children without INFORMEunbelievabl. Smh

7. Saywhat!?

October 28, 2015 at 4:27 pm

*informed consent

8. abeke

October 28, 2015 at 4:28 pm

I am not a member of that church but i know that Lagos State ( in Conjunction with FG) has been doing this ‘kick polio out of Nigeria’ campaign for a while now and vaccinations are given to all children below the age of 5. I am aware that most schools send forms to parent to get approval and to avoid double dosing the children. What i am getting at is that these govt agents go to religious organizations on Sundays as well to ensure all children are vaccinated. So maybe the church should have written a note to parents instead of announcing but we know that schools are more organized than churches.

• Unstable Fanya

October 28, 2015 at 4:38 pm

dont mind her, she is so ignorant.
      She doesn’t even know what happens around her and in her environment

• mrs chidukane

October 28, 2015 at 4:51 pm

In my church it’s usually announced and the parents are informed that Sunday as well. I think you over reacted and the way you speak about church, why do you still go? Why not use your Sundays for something more important and meaningful to you?

• notanutelllalover

October 28, 2015 at 5:46 pm

i agree, please stay in your house. secondly, give a written note if food and beverages are served in church? Pray, how will they go about it. Letter to Ms. South, “please be informed that today is Thanksgiving service and we will be giving food to your children. OR today is little okoro’s birthday so we will be giving cake and coke to little mgbeke and little obianuju”
      I can understand your anger towards medications for your children, that was simply wrong.

• C

October 29, 2015 at 6:22 am

Tari wait a minute, no one has the right to give a child a medication without the parents consent. I have allergies to some medication s so does my son. The fact that it was announced was not enough. I work in a pharmacy and have to deal with this. Let me break it down for you some patients are allergic to a medication say certain brand pandol but may not be allergic to others? I live in an advanced country where the government owns the child but even they won’t give the child medication without the consent of the parents. Let’s take sentiment away what the church did was WRONG

9. Oro omo

October 28, 2015 at 4:31 pm

Emi o fi omo ba yan sere o. I don’t play when it comes to my kids. Medication without my consent? #worldwar20

10. Noms

October 28, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Immunization in church, yes.
    I have seen it before and it still happens.
    Like the head of the children’s unit said, the announcement was made the previous sunday and nobody came up for their children not to be given. So is it her fault you weren’t present in church when it was announced? Even if letters were given to the kids to take home the previous sunday, would you have gotten it?
    The way some people treat volunteer workers in church is very alarming and to think that they came to serve God.
    You are comparing the church with the school you pay to keep records of your child’s health?
    Madam, keep your children at home and stay @ home too. You are forcing yourself to go to church hence the sacrifice people take to tend to your kids while you enjoy or doze off in service is not appreciated.
    An announcement was made,you were not there, full stop.

• guess

October 29, 2015 at 10:46 am

God bless you for this Noms. These are the same people whose children are giving sleeping pills in creche everyday. She thinks she can go around shouting and threatening to sue because its a church and someone actually admitted to giving the child immunisation.Until u catch a teacher red handed she /he will never accept drugging the child with sleeping pills.

11. Unstable Fanya

October 28, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Fanya you are unstable. why?

1. I hate to admit it, but I am not an avid church goer.
    You dont have to prove that to anyone. it is your cup of tea. Why do you hate to admit it?

2. I do place the blame mostly on my parents. For as far back as I can remember, my father never attended church till he turned 65.
    You are responsible for yourself, no one is responsible for your life choices.
    If your father asks you to jump inside the lagoon, will you jump inside?
    You are this old, married, given birth and still blaming sum1 for the ills in your life? eish

3. It is immunization and not ordinary or just any how medication. The health sector made it compulsory for children under a certain age to be immunized. In order to avoid stories or kids getting infected by various diseases, the health workers go all out to immunize- church, streets, schools, even in the estates. They come knock on my gate in my estate, and i say sorry, my baby got immunized in the hospital. They cant stop working because of me alone or your arrogant self

4 If you have issues with church, just stay away. The church cant stop their activities just because of you alone. They did the right thing by encouraging their followers to immunize their wards, in case that has not been done in the hospital, as not every rich one like you can take their wards for immunization in the hospital. (Immunization fee cost an eye for the low class people)

You didnt go to church when they announced it, so it is not their fault that you weren’t around

5. You didnt train your kids up well. A parent tells the child the do’s and dont’s. Dont take food here and there, dont take anything here, dont do this, dont do that. If you had trained them up well, they should have ran out of the place to come ask their mother first if they can take it. So you see, it all boils down to you.

6. Church/Religion haters, gerrahia

• Corolla

October 28, 2015 at 6:44 pm

@UnstableFanya Wow! To think you are a mother yourself, and yet you typed this repugnant comment?! So Fanya is an irresponsible mother who failed to train her children? Just wow!

Whether or not the church is following the Govt’s decree, you have to check with parents of minors to make sure they want their child to partake, and also to check if the child has taken this immunization already. Do you know in some cases it is dangerous to take a vaccine more than once? If that child was allergic to something in that medication and had died or become very ill, would you be blaming the mother for not listening to announcements in church?

Why is it that when the church is involved Nigerians would typically turn a blind eye and blame the other party? It is very sad and disgusting the way some of us refuse to think deeply. Disgusting!

• Missappleberry

October 28, 2015 at 7:57 pm

Your comment is very nasty! In fact I have no words for you but the only thing I want you to know is that some kids actually develop allergic reactions to some vaccinations. I’m not talking about a second dose but a very first dose. Google is your friend! And if u like, allow every tom, dick and Harry vaccinate your child simply because hospitals are expensive. Madam I know how best to train kids. Ignoramus!

• unstable fanya

October 28, 2015 at 10:20 pm

sour berry,

you are one of the ills of this country.

do you think every nigerian can afford to pay for immuniation? some of them are 9k per shot. in a country where many live under $1 per day?

ignoramus pple like you that either the state pays for you or your medical health scheme does. you dont even spend your money so you are so igorant.

to avoid these issues FMOH (I know you dont know what that means too) trains and sends out HCWs(u dont know too) to immunize babies.

FYI ignoramus, they dont just vaccinte babies, they ask parents b4 they do and they have health cards to track/prevent double vaccination.

go research about vaccination b4 saying thrash. if church is your problem, say it out. no one cares if you do church or.not

• Corolla

October 29, 2015 at 6:04 am

The fact that you think an announcement is consent, clearly indicates that you are the ignorant educated illiterate.

12. Abu

October 28, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Hmm- mine was sex education -given in detail to my 13 year old daughter! In a way where she came out of the class looking dazed! To say I was mad is an understatement. Some people are just too forward. Your child may be versed is sexual matters but mine wasn’t!!! Alakoba!

• nene'sma

October 28, 2015 at 5:31 pm

So your 13year old daughter. A teenager if I may add, didn’t receive any good sex education from you until she heard it in school(which is in their curriculum, if I may add) and you were mad?? At who please? At the school who was doing their job or at you who slacked at yours? Gerrare here mehn!

• Krasavitsa

October 28, 2015 at 8:30 pm

Smh, I think some Nigerians shouldn’t just learn to read but also to comprehend. Did you read the part where she/he wrote “….in detail”? I’ll explain it to you. It means @ Abu’s child was told not to engage in underage/premarital sex because of pregnancy, STDs, blah blah blah, but (this is me thinking about what “details” means) also about the act itself – “the man puts his *#@*#* into the woman’s *#@#*#* and they make sounds, oh and they’re both naked too”. It is NOT okay for a 13 year old to know that. I myself didn’t know the details about the act until I was 15 during an Anatomy lecture and even then it was still confusing till I saw a movie with such scenes at 16. So calm down before telling people gerrarahia

• C

October 29, 2015 at 6:32 am

Ignorance at its height oh! You do not give someone medication without consent!! Do you know some people are allergic to crazy things? I have seen blue dye allergy, red dye allergy, eggs, penicillin , ibuprofen allergy! Kai it’s serious.some time ago there was a arming in the church because Years ago there was a vaccine that was given in churches for women of childbearing ages only, later discovered it was to sterilize them? Mind you it was the church that found out

13. Jaguar

October 28, 2015 at 4:53 pm

Immunization is being administered in churches by the personnel of the federal ministry of health and not the church. the church only allows them access to the children. Madam whose fault is it that you were not paying attention abeg free us joor. @bodily present and absent minded in the house of God.

14. Haba

October 28, 2015 at 5:53 pm

Why you all attacking Fanya like that. Many people do not go to Church everyday and so it is not strange to miss announcements, and that is not even the issue at hand. I don’t know how serious a double doze of immunization is but if it is lethal do you think the Church would have been able to use announcement the previous Sunday as a defense if a child had been affected? Let us be less reactionary please, i think many of you are more angry because she is not a ‘churchy’ person and has the effrontery to announce it than with anything else.
    So, please even if it is by the government, medication or immunization should not be given to any child in the absence of a parent or guardian biko #drops mike

15. maryjane

October 28, 2015 at 6:47 pm

Sorry bella, your writer is ignorant but think she knows it all. Who cares if you hate to admit you don’t go to church? Ya’all wana put on the ‘I dnt give a f*ck attitude’ but you are plainly ignorant.

• Nuna

October 29, 2015 at 7:43 am

So that is all you got from this article. SMH!!

• keeks

October 29, 2015 at 12:00 pm

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY VERY IGNORANT AND SHALLOW MINDED, IF YOU SEE NOTHING WRONG WITH A CHURCH OR ANYONE ADMINISTERING ANYTHING TO YOUR CHILD WITHOUT YOUR CONSENT!!! WAIT UNTIL YOU HAVE KIDS, AND YOUR CHILD SHOWS UP FROM SCHOOL OR CHURCH WITH NEEDLE MARKS AND LATER STARTS CONVULSING BECAUSE SHE/HE WAS GIVEN SOMETHING THAT WILL BETTER THEIR LIFE. YOU HAVE NO IDEAAAA!!!!! There is Absolutelyyyy NOTHING that you would say that justifies the church’s actions!!! a mother is aware of what’s on their child, i see or my partner sees a mark or ink on my child i will ask From where, meaning they never marked the child(note those inks they use to mark stays a while) was the parent properly informed via messages to get consent? you announce in the service because you feel everyone is there and they have heard you? did the child have a consent card or slip from said parent to be immunized? ANYONE JUSTIFYING THIS i SMH for you. waitt til you have kids! you would be singing a different tune.

16. Anonymous

October 28, 2015 at 7:06 pm

I am shocked at how many people are insulting the lady that wrote the article. This is a legal issue, the church does not have any right to give anything, most especially immunizations, to minors without their legal guardian’s consent. They could be sued for trespass to the person. What if the parents don’t want their child immunised? Funny enough, this happened to me when I was young, I just never told my parents

• Bukky

October 28, 2015 at 7:55 pm

My dear, I am not even shocked at how people think anymore. Most Nigerians can’t separate sentiments from facts, especially when it has to do with the church. From the comments I read on Naija blogs, it is evident that the education system failed us. The typical Nigerian sees things on the surface and lacks the ability to delve deep into issues. Can you believe that people are insulting a mother who is only concerned about her child’s well being!! Where is that done? Hian! Reasoned judgement and critical thinking is not in our vocabulary!

17. Idomagirl

October 28, 2015 at 7:26 pm

Of course people are attacking Fanya because this involves a church.

You do not just givebpeople’s kids drugs without proper parental consent and excuse yourself with “we announced it in church”. Even if you announced it, so? Did they factor in issues like allergies, preexisting medical conditions etc? How do you just line up kids and put drugs in their mouths?

What if something went wrong because they didn’t do proper due diligence before administrating drugs then what? They’ll blame the devil?

• Natu

October 28, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Lol @they will blame the devil.

• Tari

October 28, 2015 at 10:20 pm

The church was wrong, just like any organization can get it wrong. No need for all the tantrums in the article.
      Few lines into the article, i even thought it was cough syrup that she was alluding to 🙂

• Tafia

October 29, 2015 at 9:02 am

administering*

18. Odion

October 28, 2015 at 8:44 pm

Please to the parent who was angry that her 13year old was taught sex education in school, are u telling us that ur 13year old child have never had sex education before? Wow,! When sex education starts at age 5

19. molarah

October 28, 2015 at 9:20 pm

You gahn sef. The excuse you gave for not hearing the church’s announcement on the immunization was very ‘yeye’, sorry to say. Even if you are in lala land, please, please and please, your ears had better reach planet earth whenever the church announcer mentions ‘children’. I teach at children’s church and I think I have an idea of the incident you are referring to. It was the state-wide “Kick Polio” campaign, and mind you, this was a government, not a church initiative. So it’s the government you should be pouring your anger on. Yea it was weird that they were more or less chasing kids around to give them their polio drops that day, but they would NEVER enter a church or school (or anywhere else for that matter) to give stuff to children without getting approvals and permissions from the appropriate quarters.

By the way, shouldn’t the news that Nigeria has been taken off the Polio list be enough abatement for this annoyance of yours?

20. molarah

October 28, 2015 at 9:31 pm

Side eyeing you on that ‘no food to kids in church’ part of your story. That one is a middle class problem. A good number of children that receive food in church are receiving 1 out of the 3 recommended meals of the day. I have to break this to you, but this is the reality of the Nigeria we live in. If you don’t want your own kids to receive food in church, make it clear to them to not receive food when in church. And if they have allergies, educate them on those allergies so they inform anyone that has to give them food. It’s not just in church, life’s circumstances may just land your kid in a situation where they have to receive food from someone other than you. And you have to prepare them for that eventuality, rather than fighting everyone off their case. Again as a teacher I have had kids refuse the food I offered those in class and others tell me they can’t eat anything that has nuts. I study the ingredients, nuts included? tell them it has nuts and exclude them. Problem solved. Life’s not that complicated.

21. Olayemi

October 28, 2015 at 9:41 pm

This is Polio immunization Aunty! Even your child told you how they gave them the drug through oral route. Your anger may be valid but it’s for a good cause. Or would you have preferred your child to suffer? Chill out joor! Ko le to yen.

• Nuna

October 29, 2015 at 7:46 am

What if her child had already taken the medication?? Please reason like an adult! She had every reason to be angry.

• NIRA

October 29, 2015 at 9:18 am

They usually use marker and paint either the thumb or the pinky finger nail of any child they immunize so they don’t give him/her another dose during that round of immunization. The health care ppl check the nail before they give the child.

22. Tari

October 28, 2015 at 10:19 pm

Very dramatic and slightly exaggerated article.
    1. The church was wrong to give anything to your child without your express approval.
    2. The way the church worker responded was not right (if those were her exact words).

You report to the church and make it plain that such is not acceptable. I am sure most churches are open to change (and if they don’t you go elsewhere or sit in your house). Besides that, I wonder the reason for all the venom you are spewing and detailing your church going history. It is utterly irrelevant.
    I am not one of those who defends churches easily as I am relatively pissed with most of church happenings.
    However, this article bothers on excessive excitement and seeking a reason to join the church bashing crowd. A bit attention seeking, i think.
    On a final note, most schools in Nigeria share cakes at birthdays. Very few exceptions and if your child has any of those allergies, parents tell the school (and infact the class teacher specifically).

Dear lady, kindly take your tantrums elsewhere.

23. Tari

October 28, 2015 at 10:24 pm

If you have this much venom against churches, why go?
    There are loads of options around; Eckankar, Grail Message, Scientology, Okija shrine and even Ifa.

• Anon

October 28, 2015 at 11:12 pm

OMG Tari! I laughed hard.

• ATL's finest

October 29, 2015 at 6:06 am

@ Tari KIA Eckankar smh folks do go there hmmm

24. To the writer

October 28, 2015 at 10:32 pm

for your information mrs writer, marks are always given to children with permanent marker after this immunization. Also mrs writer, know that children also are government property and they have the right to be concern about their health and treat them if need be. Sorry but you wouldn’t win this cas.

• ak

October 29, 2015 at 2:31 pm

your own kids will be government property.

25. baby4u2

October 28, 2015 at 11:53 pm

So I don’t, come to church one week because say I traveled. Then I came back the next with and my child was immunized and you tell me they made an announcement in the church? That’s it? Some people are too backward sorry. If you have children you love from your bossom, wey don drink better breast milk from your mamiliary glands, you no go play with anyhow medicine for your child matter. You receive things from anybody anyhow, you go get anyhow diseases and issues.

Writer, go to the pastor too, this is a serious issue.

26. Madre mufasa

October 29, 2015 at 2:30 am

The story would have taken a different turn if that child that very day had a stomach upset, body starts to itch lands in the hospital, doctor says food poisoning or worse. Then you will know the importance of notifying all parents by bulk sms, emails hell call them sef to let them know….

27. aleesha

October 29, 2015 at 2:54 am

Madam Unstable Fanya, I doubt that Jesus would respond the way you did.

You have judged the writer, and painted her as an incompetent parent simply because she wasn’t paying attention in church.

Why would you call a person unstable, simply because they are not ‘churchy’?
    Please learn to disagree with others without resorting to meanness and unkind words.

FYI, the essential vaccines are free in all health centres. It is the ‘jara’ ones like rotavirus, chicken pox and pneumococcal conjugate that are pricey, and probably only available in private hospitals.

28. Laila

October 29, 2015 at 3:44 am

Story story with all these negative comments. It’s plain and simple ignorance.

In ANY country with a healthy judicial system, this church could be sued and financially subsequently ruined. End of.

You do NOT give medication to children without the explicit consent of their parents. Church, school, girls scout, whatever. It is just not done. Geeze,

An “announcement” does NOT equal consent. And if it does in your world, well you have bigger problems.

29. jaybird

October 29, 2015 at 4:02 am

My maid was holding my son outside when they gave him, they painted his thumb, and she told me after mass. I was so upset with her for letting them. I complained in the government hospital when I take my kids for immunisation, and they said it was ok.
    In fact, in that hospital, they give my son oral polio anytime I visit. But with my daughter last year, twas just once she took. Twas this hospital that administered again when she went with me.

I was very upset, but after asking, I.calmed down. I think the writer should have called a medical personnel before writing the article. And then since her child can talk, warn them abt not taking the vaccine in church or school or anywhere else.

*they paint their thumbs, how come she dint know the same day the daughter took it? Why did her daughter not tell her sooner?

30. missus K

October 29, 2015 at 4:34 am

I feel like most of these commenter’s are missing the point. ANnouncing last sunday isn’t enough. I mean what stopped the pastor/children’s coordinator from announcing again this sunday? Or getting the parents’ numbers from the children and sending a message stating there is immunization.

I carried the child for 9months plus, you definitely need to run any vaccine or medication through me or expect my anger.
    And to the person who says immunizations are expensive and cost as much as 9k, pls go to your nearest health centre. They give them out for almost free

• Nuna

October 29, 2015 at 7:48 am

Are you minding them? Once you mention church Nigerians just lose all critical thinking abilities.

31. Musingsofachristianchick.com

October 29, 2015 at 8:52 am

I am just saying, legally there is something called EXPRESS consent and IMPLIED consent, the fact that they announced the sunday before, and no parent objected could be seen as IMPLIED consent because the parents still sent their children to church.

Secondly it is not the church that is giving the children immunisation, these things are done by govt. Certified health workers. The role of the church is not just to preach blabla most churches these days take part in CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY, which I commend.

Thirdly I feel the church should have taken extra precaution to announce that sunday and maybe even ask the parents as they dropped the kids of, that would have ensured that they got EXPRESS CONSENT, I guess that was non chalant comes on their part.

Ms fanya you mentioned something about the church seeking consent before given your kids even snacks…err that is kinda too far bcus in most children departments this is a norm, to build the childrens interest in church, I think this responsibility would boil down to you telling ur kids not to take anything from strangers, but just imagine how ur child would feel when they share snacks in the church and they pass your child bcus they dont want her mothers wahala

Lastly I think you might have overeacted, the church definitely has some fault, as they could have taken extra measures to get your consent but they were trying to do good, not kill your child or harm your child. But u should definitely tell ur kids not to receive anything at all from strangers seeing you feel so strongly about it.
    Lets be honest some parents would have heard the same and said woow how nice and thoughtful of the church.

32. NIRA

October 29, 2015 at 9:14 am

• E don do

October 29, 2015 at 2:32 pm

Madam Nira,
      enough with your marker and paint now, ki lo de? We have heard. E don do.

33. olaf!

October 29, 2015 at 10:13 am

all i can say is wow!
    .A lot of us here are just hypocrites! Because this article has to do with a church all of you are flying left, right and center. So she missed the announcement in church? So what? She could have been working. Yes. Something could have come up and we do not know if that was a single service day and she couldn’t make it in time for church. I’m not on her side neither am i blaming her as regards church but we need to address the reason for her outcry. And for those of you saying there could have been a marker on her finger, judging her parenting skills, WHAT IF THERE WAS NO MARKER SIGN GIVEN? (now that’s suspicious and no one will say anything and she didn’t mention what immunization was given though y’all just assumed it was polio) because it is a church y’all are flipping. Anyways, I feel the least the church could have done was to ask parents for their consents and even on the day of immunization should still have announced it so that parents who didn’t want their kids immunized could take them home.
    See, when I was younger, they would announce in our church that PARENTS SHOULD BRING THEIR KIDS FORWARD THEMSELVES. No one wants issues. The church had no right to do thatit’s disappointing the way some of y’all think because a church is involved. What if she doesn’t go to church? are you her salvation? At least she makes effort to and y’all are still flipping. I thought Christianity was a tolerant religion……You’ll just had to make it about the church and deviate from the focus. una weldone!

34. olaf!

October 29, 2015 at 10:14 am

*that. It’s disappointing.

• thirdeyed

October 29, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I have a question for the writer

Granted that you weren’t in church when the announcement. The sunday your daughter was immunize, was it parental negligence or what ? – that you vould mot have noticed the permanent marker painted on her finger? Also you ddnt bring up your children well enough to recieve things from outsiders. It could have been not from church that she could recieve things – foods, sweets, cake or whatever

You talk about suing the church and you think you will win when there are hundreds of witnesses to countered your pertition.

Nobody is asking you to go to church, its not compulsory, I myself im not a constant church goer and i dont have to blame anyone for my decision

• ak

October 29, 2015 at 2:24 pm

So in your own church, your kid doesn’t eat or drink the food given to them in their kids class?

Or in their school, they don’t eat the food given to them because it is “Served by strangers”

Mumu

35. fabulicious

October 29, 2015 at 12:47 pm

Infact I am as “churchy” as it gets if there is any word like that but all i can say is Wow!! Some of the comments here are just sad. When someone opens up to others, that is when people will have the effontery to judge. It is reasons like this that make people seperate themselves from us Christians. We all need to make effort to read Romans 14 again. My God!!!!!!!

36. Nigerian parents

October 29, 2015 at 12:50 pm

Dear Tanya,
    If I read your write-up very well, what was given to your child is vitamin A. This is done every quarter. Health officials go to churches, mosques, schools, markets and other public places to administer children. Agreed, you were not in church the previous sunday, probably not listening when it was mentioned during the service that day, have you checked your church bulletin to verify it was not written there?
    Go ahead and sue the church, you may have a solid case.
    I will advise you look inward and ask “what kind of parent am i?” Your child’s finger was marked you did not notice. It took a week before your daughter informed you she was given a drug a previous week and it only came out because your mascara smelled like the drug.
    Who knows what sort she had been given and you never heard off!!!
    Sister, abeg look inward!!!
    Now I understand why our children lack manners. With comments I have read so far, truly an apple does not fall far away from the tree.

• slice

October 29, 2015 at 2:09 pm

How do u know the finger was marked. One person sd that’s what they do in her area n u all jumped on it bc it fits into your narrative.
      There is such a thing as overstepping your boundaries and the church did that here.

• Nigerian parents

October 29, 2015 at 4:13 pm

Obviously, you do not know how it works!

• ak

October 29, 2015 at 2:21 pm

Please shut up. Who asked for your advice?

Does it matter?

What if the vitamin A was expired or too high of a dosage for the kid?

What if the kid already had enough VITAMIN A, and the extra Vitamin A sent them over the edge?

Or you think there is no such thing as too much Vitamin A? Google is your friend.

Also the same apple didn’t fall far from your own tree too

• Nigerian parents

October 29, 2015 at 4:14 pm

Calm down

• AK is going mad, tie her with rope

October 30, 2015 at 12:18 pm

AK, you are really going mad, they need to tie you with rope b4 you madness enter market

Reading all your responses and bitter comments, you must be a very bitter person.

Na person marry you?
      i sorry for am
      smh

37. nwanyi na aga aga

October 29, 2015 at 3:08 pm

I think it was unfair a lot of comments threw Judgement on Fanya. I think the Best Practice would have been for the Church to administer such immunization after service as each parent was coming to pick his/her child in that way we all avoid stories that touch. A lot of kids are allergic to some common things that surprise one. If you are a Sunday School Teacher please take this practice to your Church. If any edible or vaccine or even ointment is to be administered to a child let the parent be there, to consent and accept responsibility in case of any emergency. This is not I love my Church matter. It is Best Practice!!! Let us not allow sentiment get in the way.
    Fanya, its obvious you don’t understand why you go to Church, Nne why don’t you quit for a while, do some soul searching in order to articulate why you actually go, going to Church is not by force o, if the congregation you attend does not administer enough spiritual food to your soul, why waste your time? Time is precious utilize it well. That is my 2cent. Unless all you wrote was just to join the new fad of “Church Bashing”..then that is another story.

38. Rynyx

October 29, 2015 at 3:49 pm

No matter what, nobody has a right to judge another woman’s parenting skills. we women are our on worst enemies. see how you are tearing another woman to shreds because in your little mind, you are a better and more observant mum. even if its vitamin c, these vaccines shouldn’t be given without a parent. they do the same in my church. the parents are always present when they do, if you say no, nobody will force you. it should not have been given in her absence, that’s wrong.
    its really not that serious people. she has a right to protect her child the way she knows how to and it doesn’t make her a bad mum. and to the award winning mums here, well done o. pointing out what you think is a flaw with another woman wont make your children turn out better or earn you an award in motherhood (nobody has earned that award specially because every mum is an award winner in her own right). calm down and breathe, all this venom and negativity at the mention of church does not guarantee a slot in heaven.

39. mama

October 30, 2015 at 11:26 pm

Ive read all the negative and positive and abusive comments.I think the commentators should have first of all stated if they have kids or not before airing their views-no bad blood here .I was out of the country on vacation when i returned and went to church the next Sunday I saw a friend walking towards the children’s church and she told me that they where immunizing kids and had announced it the previous Sunday and if I wanted my son immunized I had to go with him to the immunization point. That is what an establishment should do.There is always the possibility of someone not being in church the previous Sunday or even someone coming to the church for the first time..I have a close friend who is about 45 years old and has been in a wheelchair since she was immunized at about 10 years old and her body reacted to it.I am very very careful when it comes to immunization especially when it has to do with the government agencies,which is a reflection of the society we live in. I recommend the efforts of the federal government and its fight against polio.A lot of Nigerians don’t really know what an immunization is ,if we do we will not be seeing some of the above comments.do you know that for some of the vials are supposed to be at a certain temperature?.mmh .Before my pikin take any drug or medicine I dey google am oh.when it concerns my kids health I consult a pediatrician and ask questions about the pros and cons of the drug my child is to be given and the possibilities of a reaction.My older son took panadol and his face was twice its size in under 30mins.It is not as if i have plenty money but if their is a reaction the cash,anxiety,stress that will be expended its not worth it..In June I decorated a burial for someone who died of a reaction to cough medicine I had to ask if she did not take cough medicine as a child.my dears anything that concerns the health of a child should be taken seriously.The fact is not weather she is a good christian/mother or not but does the church have a right to immunize a child without the written/non contestable permission from the parents..